What game controllers are tested working?

Search This thread

Taosaur

May 4, 2011
Ohiopolis
taosaur.blogspot.com
From various threads, I see that the wiimote with or without the wii classic controller works well.

That's the only widely available controller I've seen. Some people have been pimping the Phonejoy modified PSX controller, but those are custom made. The datel retro wii controller has also come up, but Nintendo has all but driven these out of the market, and for our limited bt range, tethering Nintendo's Wii Classic controller to a Wiimote may be a better option anyway.

I'm specifically curious about the PS3 controller, but some googling suggests it's a no-go with Android for the foreseeable future. Too bad, as I may pick up a PS3 at some point, but probably will never own a Wii.

Any other game controllers tested working? Any of them look more versatile or otherwise better than the Wiimote + Wii Classic combo?

Has anyone using the Wiimote or other controllers found them useful aside from gaming?

Taosaur

May 4, 2011
Ohiopolis
taosaur.blogspot.com
the datel retro controller seems to be the way to go imo.

IDK, looking around a little more, I found there's a newer generation (still a year old) Nintendo offering, the Classic Controller Pro:

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Classic-C...UTF8&coliid=INNONUR2I65HQ&colid=3L10NYSDYJ11Z

It stacks the L/R buttons, adds grips, and spaces the analog sticks better. Given the NC's limited range, it might be a pro rather than a con that it tethers to a bluetooth radio (the wiimote). At $15, even if you need to buy a wiimote you could come in under the $40 price tag on the datel retro.

ETA: Actually, a knock-off wiimote should be fine for our purposes, right? So you could have wiimote+CC Pro for $25-30 from Amazon.

Last edited:

Therev29

Nov 16, 2009
There is also the Msi bgp100 gamepad. But personally I have a datel and love it. Not to much use besides gaming though.
I like the datel because its 1 controller instead of 2, having the wiimote and a classic controller just seems bulkie. But, yes, it would give you an extra foot of 2 of range if needed. Fyi the datel is the only stand alone wireless on the market. All the other aftermarket wireless wiimotes have to plug an adapter into the back of the wiimote.

nolook

Sep 5, 2010
im using a fake wiimote and it works fine...going to get the classic controller to extend the range a bit

check out deal extreme for some good deals...shipping does take forever from china though...

Reactions: Taosaur

Gin1212

Jan 26, 2011
I too would have liked to see the PS3 Controller work. As I think it really would have been the ultimate controller as far as everything goes.

However it doesn't, so I purchased a kid's wiimote (just a smaller wiimote for extra portability) and a offbrand classic controller from gamestop for like $10. All in all was under 40, and it really helps with range issues.

That said, it's not much bulkier of a setup than the Datel wireless controller... If you're planning on taking the nook color somewhere to play games for a few hours, you can easily use an old backpack or wal-mart plastic bag to carry it all =\.

Taosaur

May 4, 2011
Ohiopolis
taosaur.blogspot.com
Well, I was trying not to spend any more money on the NC this month, but I broke down and grabbed the CCP for $15 while my Amazon Prime trial lasts. I'll look around locally for a knock-off or used wiimote, but otherwise I can get one from Amazon for $10 shipped.

seth.i.simmons

Apr 13, 2011
Lynchburg, VA
I have not tried to use an emulator. However, this might be of interest to you.

N64oid a Nintendo 64 emulator is free for 1-2 weeks. In fact, Nesoid, Snesoid, Gensoid, N64oid, Ataroid, Gearoid and Gameboid are all free at the moment.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/29/android-markets-most-popular-emulators-disappear-without-a-trac/

https://slideme.org/user/yongzh

Yep, saw that in pulse, and had to jump on it! That's actually why I ended up getting the controllers, can't wait to try them out.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

psiphi

Jun 4, 2007
DC
www.stilltruth.com
I haven't seen the Wii Controller itself, but I have seen 3rd party Nubchucks and Classic Controllers at 5 Below stores in the US... (It's like a Dollar store, but with the upper limit at 5 dollars per item...)

Taosaur

May 4, 2011
Ohiopolis
taosaur.blogspot.com
I haven't seen the Wii Controller itself, but I have seen 3rd party Nubchucks and Classic Controllers at 5 Below stores in the US... (It's like a Dollar store, but with the upper limit at 5 dollars per item...)

Yeah, I checked the dollar store, but no love. I might be making a field trip near the cheap mall tomorrow, so I'll poke my head in Wally World and the like.

I thought that, then I bought a Datel Retro. With newer versions of CM7 I have the Retro working from 10 feet away.

:eek: I've seen good results with the wiimote, too, but that's nuts. I wonder why the game controllers do so much better than other devices?

paleh0rse

Jan 4, 2011
There's a new USBhost kernel for CM7 in the dev forum that should open the door to ps3 and xbox controllers... ;)

seth.i.simmons

Apr 13, 2011
Lynchburg, VA
Just got in my Wiimote and Classic controller, and they pair and work great! Only thing it, I cant seem to get any diagonal directions working... Does anyone else use Fpse and have some advice for setting up the controls for a Classic controller?? Thanks in advance!

Top Liked Posts