[ROM][6.0][MARSHMALLOW][CM13] Official CyanogenMod 13 for LG G2

Search This thread

dr4stic

Oct 18, 2009
5ZlbRXW.png

NOTE: PLEASE ALSO READ ALL OF THE FAQ IN THE SECOND POST. IT COVERS MANY OF THE COMMON PROBLEMS AND QUESTIONS!

CyanogenMod 13 is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 6.x (Marshmallow), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
#include 
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 * Submitting bug reports on nightly builds is the leading 
 * cause of male impotence.
 */

CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

The source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit our Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Changelog:
Latest commits for kernel, g2, and device d800 | d801 | d802 | d803 specific (based on date) [by review.cyanogenmod.org]
Universal changelog for d800 | d801 | d802 | d803 (based on nightly builds) [by cmxlog.com]

Requirements:
  • Custom recovery (either TWRP or CyanogenMod)
  • KitKat (KK) bootloader (included in the lg-devs LP bootstack)
  • KitKat (KK) bootstack minimum; Please read the entire FAQ for important bootstack information. Installation of bootstacks is NOT recommended.
  • Clean flash if coming from another ROM or CM 12.x (no dirty flash)

Known Bugs/Issues: (fixed nightly date)
  • "Slowly charging" displayed. (2016-09-21)
  • WiFi disconnect during sleep (2016-06-24)
  • "Preferred network type" can't be manually switched to 3G or 2G (2016-02-05)
  • Can't seek within songs in music players (2016-02-03)
  • Video preview garbled in 3rd party apps (2016-01-26)
  • Unknown baseband. Cosmetic, eratic. (2016-01-22)
  • IR Port / Apps don't work, gives access denied. (2016-01-22)
  • Cellular calls disconnected by the remote party results in an "invalid number" error. (2016-01-22)
  • OTG storage (and possibly other OTG things) does not work (2015-12-07)

Bug reports for this ROM should be officially submitted via CyanogenMod's Jira bug tracking sytstem. Please fully read the FAQ entry on bugs and bug submission before submitting any tickets.

FAQ, other information:
Please read on to the second post in this thread for more information and answers to some frequently asked questions. Please read through it as I will absolutely, positively, and unequivocably NOT offer any help or answers that are already provided in that post.

Download:
D800 - download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=d800
D801 - download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=d801
D802 - download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=d802
D803 - download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=d803

Note to users: I'm not responsible if you brick your phone. See the disclaimer above.
Note to admins/moderators: I'm not a developer / contributor of CyanogenMod and not associated with Cyanogen, Inc. in any way. If this thread is inappropriate, please move/delete it.

Thanks to These People:
@Rashed97
@intervigil
@invisiblek
@PsychoGame
LG Devs
CyanogenMod Devs

Last edited:

dr4stic

Oct 18, 2009
Less official CM13 G2 information

Unofficial CM13 on LG G2 FAQ

The following FAQ is from me, the OP, and not from any CM officials or the device devs. I hope you all find it helpful.

What are the common problems? I'm pretty stupid and hate reading...
  • Users who don't seem to read: Please read the entire FAQ and don't pollute the thread with common questions. Use the "Search Thread" box at the top of the thread to look for your issue or issues like it.
  • Google apps force closing after an update: This is related to your choice of recovery, please read the recovery section.
  • WiFi disconnect while sleeping/screen off: This is not a G2 specific issue or even a CM specific issue. It's an Android issue. See: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=196035. Please do not pollute the forums with questions about it, at present there is no fix.
  • Which bootstack is recommended: None! No bootstack is recommended. Please read the section on best install method and then bootstacks to understand why you shouldn't do this.

Is it stable? I'm worried about trying new things...
Is it stable? Yes. I think it's as stable as a nightly can get. And that could change from night to night, so maybe watch the thread for a day or two and see what people are saying about the releases before installing them.

If you're worried about installing it for fear of, you know... whatever. Then don't install it. This isn't the place where I'm gonna convince you to try it. That's your decision. There's risk to everything. Understand and own the risk.

What is required for CM on the G2? What should my device have?
The required bootloader (aboot) for CM13 on the LG G2 is the KitKat (KK) bootloader. CM13 will fail to install otherwise. The minimum required bootstack (radios, laf, and other firmwares) is a KitKat (KK) bootstack, however a Lollipop (LP) bootstack will work and is preferred. CM-13.0 is bumped and thus does not require loki compatibility.

In order to have a successful update procedure, you will need a recovery that honors sepolicy. Please read the question on the recovery for further details and recommendations.

What is the best install method? Where do I start from?
The best starting point for installing this ROM is from an LG Stock Lollipop installation. While you could in fact install a Lollipop G2 bootstack and then install CM-13.0 on top of that, there's a good chance that it might fail or not work entirely well for you.

If you don't know or remember the history of ROMs on your phone, you may be much better off doing a full KDZ or TOT re-installation of LG Stock on your phone and take it all the way to Lollipop. Then proceed to root and autorec from there, upgrade your recovery and install CM. If you do this you will not require a bootstack and won't run the risks associated with installing one. Doing this sort of installation is beyond the scope of this thread. There are different files and starting points for each device. You will have to search for what works for you.

What about a bootstack? Should I use that if I don't want to update? What if I simply can't?
The recommended course of action is detailed above: return your phone to stock lollipop and then proceed to root your device and run autorec to install a recovery. If for whatever reason you simply cannot do that, whether it's because you can't or just won't, then the bootstack options are available. HOWEVER, this has led to problems for many people and is NOT recommended, not even by the devs that created them.

The bootstacks were created as a crutch for those unwilling or unable to upgrade their phones via kdz/tot or OTA methods. They update several key internal partitions for firmwares and keys and what not to bring the phone up to a base lollipop hardware standard. Not all are replaced, and the bootstacks don't do as good a job as LG's OTA's. This is why they can be problematic.

Issues: If you are absolutely set on installing a bootstack, the lg-devs recommend the lg-devs lollipop bootstack. However some people encounter problems with this as it creates a situation where the phone boots to a black screen and getting to recovery is difficult. If that's the case, you can consider installing Daniel Stuart's hybrid CAF bootstacks (or download direct from his GitHub). His bootstacks aren't recommended by the lg-devs, but they do seem to solve the issue of the black screen after boot.

A bootstack with loki support is not required for CM-13.0 to function. It is also not recommended unless you absolutely know you need it on your device. A bump-compatible bootstack is all that's necessary.

NOTE: The d803 never had an official stock Lollipop release and thus doesn't have an lg-devs LP bootstack. If your device is on a KK bootstack it should work fine, or you could use Daniel Stuart's bootstack which offers a hack to put lollipop firmwares on the d803.

IMPORTANT: If you install any of these bootstacks you run the REAL RISK of BRICKING YOUR DEVICE. Neither I, the G2 CM contributors, nor the CyanogenMod developers are responsible for anything you do to your device. Please proceed with caution before proceeding and have an understanding of what is necessary to recover your phone in case things go horribly wrong.

Which Recovery?
You need a recovery that honors sepolicy. Without that you will see Google applications force close after a CM update, and the only seeming way to fix it is to re-flash your chosen gapps. This is not a problem with a recovery that honors sepolicy properly.

The recommended recovery is Blastagator's TWRP, version 2.8.7.3 or newer. Older versions (2.8.7.1 or older) do not honor sepolicy. The CyanogenMod Recovery also works properly, and has for some time. However it is feature starved and lacks useful/advanced functions like backups or a file manager.

Do I need to install anything else? What is a Gapps?
CyanogenMod can be used standalone. However if you want things like Google's Play Store, Google Calendar Sync, and other Google services, you'll want to install a gapps zip package alongside CyanogenMod. I personally use OpenGapps but have also used SlimGapps in the past. For CM13 on the LG G2, you need a gapps for the ARM architecture and Android 6.0 (Marshmallow). Please read the entry about camera problems as it may affect your choice of Gapps.

Also, look at the FAQ entry for the recovery if you have FC issues.

In what order do I install this all?
The following is MY recommendation. It isn't necessarily law, but it works well for me. This assumes you have a custom recovery and have already booted into it. If you can't get that far, this is not the place for you to learn how. Please search XDA and look around for the relevant threads.

Suggested install order (the more emphasis I add to words, the more I want you to pay attention to them). One last tidbit of important information... The order chosen below was deliberate. I wouldn't recommend changing the order unless you know what you're doing. Here you go:
  • Recommended: Disconnect anything connected to your USB port, then boot into your recovery
  • Optional: Upgrade your recovery to the latest version
    • Install latest recovery zip file (Read recovery section for recommendations)
    • Reboot Recovery
  • Recommended: Do a full ROM backup, then copy the backup (and possibly your internal storage files) to your PC. The remaining steps have the potential to be destructive.
  • Optional, NOT Recommended: Install selected bootstack if deemed necessary
    • Read disclaimer above in the bootstacks section and make sure you know what you're doing
    • Re-read aforementioned disclaimer
    • Install bootstack of your choice
    • Reboot Recovery
  • Recommended: If coming from another ROM or CM 12.1, do a factory reset. CM will fail to install over another ROM's user data
  • Recommended: Wipe the system partition
  • Install the CyanogenMod zip
  • Optional: Install your chosen gapps package
  • Reboot your device and wait for first boot to complete

Need Root?
To enable the built in root on CyanogenMod you must enable Developer Options first. Go to Settings -> About phone and repeatedly press Build number until you are told you have enabled development settings. Then go to Settings -> Developer options, find the Root access option and change it to suit your needs.

My understanding about SuperSU is that it does not easily work with CM. The current "stable" version won't work and will likely cause a bootloop. Unless you've done quite a bit of research and know what you're doing, your best bet would be to stay away from SuperSU for this ROM.

Is OTG working? I can't see my attached device!
The OTG, to my knowledge (and personal experience), works. If you get a notification when you attach your OTG peripheral to your device, then OTG is working.

The PROBLEM is that Marshmallow (Android 6.0) does things differently with attached storage. Locations are all different from the way they were on previous versions of Android (Lollipop and earlier) and mount points are now auto-generated. Your chosen file manager must have been updated to work with the new 6.0 scheme. Not all of them have been.

For example, I just attached an OTG sdcard reader with an SD card inserted, and the storage was mounted at /mnt/media_rw/7E7B-0812

Helpful tip: An option is to go into the CM FileManager, navigate to /mnt/media_rw (or to your OTG device), press the Actions triplet menu in the lower left side and choose "Add to bookmarks." This should place the location into the bookmarks (when you press the hamburger menu or swipe in from the left) for easier access.

My camera doesn't seem to work!!!
We are limited to the proprietary camera libraries from LG for the G2. The latest of these is for Lollipop. That means any cameras that depend on the new Marshmallow API's to operate will fail to work properly (if at all) on our devices. A major example of this is the Nexus edition of the Google Camera. Sadly, this camera is included in many "Stock" editions of Gapps (including the popular OpenGapps distribution). To complicate matters, the "Stock" edition of these Gapps packages remove the stock AOSP/CM camera. AND because the camera is basically named for the Google Camera from the Play Store, you can't install the Play Store edition. Basically, you are stuck with a non-working camera as your only option unless you install something 3rd party.

To fix this problem you'll need to instruct your Gapps to avoid installing the "Stock" Google Camera. This will leave the AOSP/CM camera in place and allow you to install the Google Camera from the Play Store. Both of these options are preferable to the non-working Nexus edition of the Google Camera. The process is detailed in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64666238&postcount=501

What about this Snap camera I've heard about?
The "Snap" camera is actually the SnapDragon camera from Qualcomm. It's optimized for qualcomm chipsets and so is faster and generally better on our hardware than other cameras. As of nightly 20160112 it is now built into the system as the default camera. You'll want read and follow the instructions in the above entry "My camera doesn't seem to work!!!" to make sure your Gapps doesn't replace it.

Bugs, I think I genuinely have them. What should I do?
Whine. Just whine and whine, no one will be annoyed at all. Actually, many people will be annoyed and there's a good chance I'll make fun of you.

The first thing you should actually do is to search this FAQ. Please read all the entries to make sure they really don't apply to you. Reading never killed anyone. If that doesn't turn up an answer, use the "Search this thread" box up at the top of the page and see if you can locate posts like yours on this thread. You may very well have a bug that others have solved, but please be mindful not to ask questions that have already been answered. Having to repeatedly answer the same questions over and over again is also rather annoying. If you really haven't found anything, then ask a question. Genuine bug reports are not uncommon and I'd like to see a little bit of a discussion before an official bug report goes in.

Finally, If you really think you have genuine bug, be it in CM generally or on the G2 specifically, you'll want to proceed to posting an official bug report on CyanogenMod's Jira. For more information on that, please read this handy post I made on how to post to Jira. Once you've done all of that, post a link to your bug report on this thread so we can all follow it.

My question isn't here... Should I private message you to ask?
No! I won't be answering any questions that are sent to me privately, UNLESS I have a previous relationship with you (if you are reading this and wondering if that means you... it probably doesn't mean you). The best you can hope for in a response is sarcasm and mockery. Ask your technical questions here, or search the thread. Or search XDA, because there are many problems that are not G2 specific. Hell, there are plenty of issues that aren't even CM specific. Google, or that search box up there... they are your friends.

Is there anyone I should thank?
Well, for me, its the people on this forum that answer questions for everyone else. Believe it or not, there are people reading this thread that DO NOT BOTHER TO READ THIS FAQ. They won't even search the thread to see if their issue has been discussed (ad nauseam) before. Yeah, they're annoying, they repeat questions, and some times they are just plain disrespectful. Usually my first instinct is to make fun of them and be as unhelpful as I can be. But I wait, and these aforementioned saints swoop in and provide help. So thank you helpful forum people. I do really appreciate it :)

Last edited:

dr4stic

Oct 18, 2009
Cm 13 for 800 and 802 are not released yet. OP - please present info about prerequisites like which bootloader or bootstack to install before.

I supposed you missed the part of the post at the bottom that says it's a work in progress. The binaries for 13 were already run for the day, I figure I have till tomorrow morning before the d800 and 802 (and 803) nightlies show up and thus have to have a more complete post. Thanks for your patience.

epapsiou

Jun 27, 2012
I supposed you missed the part of the post at the bottom that says it's a work in progress. The binaries for 13 were already run for the day, I figure I have till tomorrow morning before the d800 and 802 (and 803) nightlies show up and thus have to have a more complete post. Thanks for your patience.
Woo hoo. Eagerly waiting. Great work CM team.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

fLipz

Oct 27, 2008
14° 35' N, 120° 59' E
Cm 13 for 800 and 802 are not released yet. OP - please present info about prerequisites like which bootloader or bootstack to install before.

it's up now for D802

d802
Date Added: 2015-12-06 00:49:07
nightly Download: cm-13.0-20151206-NIGHTLY-d802.zip (296.43 MB)
sha1: 3dd09b76c4efa6eb8375162e7b2676286b68a268

Download: cm-13.0-20151206-NIGHTLY-d802-recovery.img
sha1: 45a62f3c17e922054cf18b624ab6d1b49c7c0ed9 2015-12-06 00:49:07

Looks like I was wrong... builds are up.

Thanks Mate!

Last edited:

Treboeth

Jul 6, 2013
OK Google voice search not working from Homescreen and OTG still broken apart from in TWRP.

Apart from that all looks good :)

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

dr4stic

Oct 18, 2009
OK Google voice search not working from Homescreen and OTG still broken apart from in TWRP.

OK Google works for me on the home screen. Have you tried initiating it once by pressing on the mic icon? with 6.0's new permission model, Google's search app needs mic access permission before it can do anything. Maybe that's the key?

Tested OTG and adding it to the list of not working things :)

Reactions: Treboeth

Treboeth

Jul 6, 2013
If I install Apex launcher OK works from the Home screen but doesn't work with Trebuchet.
Tried initiating but no go.
Clean install ie complete format in TWRP d802.

Edit.
Wiped and reinstalled works OK now [emoji4]
Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kaninabu

Feb 13, 2012
Am getting a black screen after LG logo appears momentarily at bootup. D802 with lg-dev's 30d Bump LP bootloader already installed.

Have gone back to CM12.1 after returning to recovery via long-pressing PWR + VOL- buttons.

Anyone knows how to get CM13 to boot up properly in my situation? Thanks.

Last edited:

C--Mon

Nov 22, 2010
Am getting a black screen after LG logo appears momentarily at bootup. D802 with lg-dev's 30d Bump LP bootloader already installed.
Have gone back to CM12.1 after returning to recovery via long-pressing PWR + VOL- buttons.
Anyone knows how to get CM13 to boot up properly in my situation? Thanks.

Same issue here on D802.
I made a complete clean install (Wiped cache, dalvik, system & data) but CM13 won't boot.
After LG Logo it's only a black screen. I waited for about 20 minutes. But nothing happened :-/
I tried also to install it with an without Gapps, but made no difference. ROM just won't boot.
I'm back on 12.1 also for now

Last edited:

kaninabu

Feb 13, 2012
Same issue here on D802.
I made a complete clean install (Wipe cache. dalvik system & data) but CM13 won't boot.
After LG Logo it's only a black screen. I waited for abaout 20 minutes. But nothing happened :-/

Found the fix. I tried restoring just the working Boot partition from the working CM12.1 backup in TWRP after installing CM13 zip, and now it progresses to the CM boot animation. Seems like the 12-06 D802 CM13 zip messes up the Boot partition?

EDIT: Stuck at CM boot animation for 10min - back to CM12.1 for now.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    5ZlbRXW.png

NOTE: PLEASE ALSO READ ALL OF THE FAQ IN THE SECOND POST. IT COVERS MANY OF THE COMMON PROBLEMS AND QUESTIONS!

CyanogenMod 13 is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 6.x (Marshmallow), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     * Submitting bug reports on nightly builds is the leading 
     * cause of male impotence.
     */

CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

The source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit our Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Changelog:
    Latest commits for kernel, g2, and device d800 | d801 | d802 | d803 specific (based on date) [by review.cyanogenmod.org]
    Universal changelog for d800 | d801 | d802 | d803 (based on nightly builds) [by cmxlog.com]

Requirements:
    • Custom recovery (either TWRP or CyanogenMod)
    • KitKat (KK) bootloader (included in the lg-devs LP bootstack)
    • KitKat (KK) bootstack minimum; Please read the entire FAQ for important bootstack information. Installation of bootstacks is NOT recommended.
    • Clean flash if coming from another ROM or CM 12.x (no dirty flash)

Known Bugs/Issues: (fixed nightly date)
    • "Slowly charging" displayed. (2016-09-21)
    • WiFi disconnect during sleep (2016-06-24)
    • "Preferred network type" can't be manually switched to 3G or 2G (2016-02-05)
    • Can't seek within songs in music players (2016-02-03)
    • Video preview garbled in 3rd party apps (2016-01-26)
    • Unknown baseband. Cosmetic, eratic. (2016-01-22)
    • IR Port / Apps don't work, gives access denied. (2016-01-22)
    • Cellular calls disconnected by the remote party results in an "invalid number" error. (2016-01-22)
    • OTG storage (and possibly other OTG things) does not work (2015-12-07)

Bug reports for this ROM should be officially submitted via CyanogenMod's Jira bug tracking sytstem. Please fully read the FAQ entry on bugs and bug submission before submitting any tickets.

FAQ, other information:
    Please read on to the second post in this thread for more information and answers to some frequently asked questions. Please read through it as I will absolutely, positively, and unequivocably NOT offer any help or answers that are already provided in that post.

Download:
    D800 - download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=d800
    D801 - download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=d801
    D802 - download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=d802
    D803 - download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=d803

Note to users: I'm not responsible if you brick your phone. See the disclaimer above.
    Note to admins/moderators: I'm not a developer / contributor of CyanogenMod and not associated with Cyanogen, Inc. in any way. If this thread is inappropriate, please move/delete it.

Thanks to These People:
    @Rashed97
    @intervigil
    @invisiblek
    @PsychoGame
    LG Devs
    CyanogenMod Devs
    Less official CM13 G2 information

Unofficial CM13 on LG G2 FAQ

The following FAQ is from me, the OP, and not from any CM officials or the device devs. I hope you all find it helpful.

What are the common problems? I'm pretty stupid and hate reading...
    • Users who don't seem to read: Please read the entire FAQ and don't pollute the thread with common questions. Use the "Search Thread" box at the top of the thread to look for your issue or issues like it.
    • Google apps force closing after an update: This is related to your choice of recovery, please read the recovery section.
    • WiFi disconnect while sleeping/screen off: This is not a G2 specific issue or even a CM specific issue. It's an Android issue. See: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=196035. Please do not pollute the forums with questions about it, at present there is no fix.
    • Which bootstack is recommended: None! No bootstack is recommended. Please read the section on best install method and then bootstacks to understand why you shouldn't do this.

Is it stable? I'm worried about trying new things...
    Is it stable? Yes. I think it's as stable as a nightly can get. And that could change from night to night, so maybe watch the thread for a day or two and see what people are saying about the releases before installing them.

If you're worried about installing it for fear of, you know... whatever. Then don't install it. This isn't the place where I'm gonna convince you to try it. That's your decision. There's risk to everything. Understand and own the risk.

What is required for CM on the G2? What should my device have?
    The required bootloader (aboot) for CM13 on the LG G2 is the KitKat (KK) bootloader. CM13 will fail to install otherwise. The minimum required bootstack (radios, laf, and other firmwares) is a KitKat (KK) bootstack, however a Lollipop (LP) bootstack will work and is preferred. CM-13.0 is bumped and thus does not require loki compatibility.

In order to have a successful update procedure, you will need a recovery that honors sepolicy. Please read the question on the recovery for further details and recommendations.

What is the best install method? Where do I start from?
    The best starting point for installing this ROM is from an LG Stock Lollipop installation. While you could in fact install a Lollipop G2 bootstack and then install CM-13.0 on top of that, there's a good chance that it might fail or not work entirely well for you.

If you don't know or remember the history of ROMs on your phone, you may be much better off doing a full KDZ or TOT re-installation of LG Stock on your phone and take it all the way to Lollipop. Then proceed to root and autorec from there, upgrade your recovery and install CM. If you do this you will not require a bootstack and won't run the risks associated with installing one. Doing this sort of installation is beyond the scope of this thread. There are different files and starting points for each device. You will have to search for what works for you.

What about a bootstack? Should I use that if I don't want to update? What if I simply can't?
    The recommended course of action is detailed above: return your phone to stock lollipop and then proceed to root your device and run autorec to install a recovery. If for whatever reason you simply cannot do that, whether it's because you can't or just won't, then the bootstack options are available. HOWEVER, this has led to problems for many people and is NOT recommended, not even by the devs that created them.

The bootstacks were created as a crutch for those unwilling or unable to upgrade their phones via kdz/tot or OTA methods. They update several key internal partitions for firmwares and keys and what not to bring the phone up to a base lollipop hardware standard. Not all are replaced, and the bootstacks don't do as good a job as LG's OTA's. This is why they can be problematic.

Issues: If you are absolutely set on installing a bootstack, the lg-devs recommend the lg-devs lollipop bootstack. However some people encounter problems with this as it creates a situation where the phone boots to a black screen and getting to recovery is difficult. If that's the case, you can consider installing Daniel Stuart's hybrid CAF bootstacks (or download direct from his GitHub). His bootstacks aren't recommended by the lg-devs, but they do seem to solve the issue of the black screen after boot.

A bootstack with loki support is not required for CM-13.0 to function. It is also not recommended unless you absolutely know you need it on your device. A bump-compatible bootstack is all that's necessary.

NOTE: The d803 never had an official stock Lollipop release and thus doesn't have an lg-devs LP bootstack. If your device is on a KK bootstack it should work fine, or you could use Daniel Stuart's bootstack which offers a hack to put lollipop firmwares on the d803.

IMPORTANT: If you install any of these bootstacks you run the REAL RISK of BRICKING YOUR DEVICE. Neither I, the G2 CM contributors, nor the CyanogenMod developers are responsible for anything you do to your device. Please proceed with caution before proceeding and have an understanding of what is necessary to recover your phone in case things go horribly wrong.

Which Recovery?
    You need a recovery that honors sepolicy. Without that you will see Google applications force close after a CM update, and the only seeming way to fix it is to re-flash your chosen gapps. This is not a problem with a recovery that honors sepolicy properly.

The recommended recovery is Blastagator's TWRP, version 2.8.7.3 or newer. Older versions (2.8.7.1 or older) do not honor sepolicy. The CyanogenMod Recovery also works properly, and has for some time. However it is feature starved and lacks useful/advanced functions like backups or a file manager.

Do I need to install anything else? What is a Gapps?
    CyanogenMod can be used standalone. However if you want things like Google's Play Store, Google Calendar Sync, and other Google services, you'll want to install a gapps zip package alongside CyanogenMod. I personally use OpenGapps but have also used SlimGapps in the past. For CM13 on the LG G2, you need a gapps for the ARM architecture and Android 6.0 (Marshmallow). Please read the entry about camera problems as it may affect your choice of Gapps.

Also, look at the FAQ entry for the recovery if you have FC issues.

In what order do I install this all?
    The following is MY recommendation. It isn't necessarily law, but it works well for me. This assumes you have a custom recovery and have already booted into it. If you can't get that far, this is not the place for you to learn how. Please search XDA and look around for the relevant threads.

Suggested install order (the more emphasis I add to words, the more I want you to pay attention to them). One last tidbit of important information... The order chosen below was deliberate. I wouldn't recommend changing the order unless you know what you're doing. Here you go:
    • Recommended: Disconnect anything connected to your USB port, then boot into your recovery
    • Optional: Upgrade your recovery to the latest version
      • Install latest recovery zip file (Read recovery section for recommendations)
      • Reboot Recovery
    • Recommended: Do a full ROM backup, then copy the backup (and possibly your internal storage files) to your PC. The remaining steps have the potential to be destructive.
    • Optional, NOT Recommended: Install selected bootstack if deemed necessary
      • Read disclaimer above in the bootstacks section and make sure you know what you're doing
      • Re-read aforementioned disclaimer
      • Install bootstack of your choice
      • Reboot Recovery
    • Recommended: If coming from another ROM or CM 12.1, do a factory reset. CM will fail to install over another ROM's user data
    • Recommended: Wipe the system partition
    • Install the CyanogenMod zip
    • Optional: Install your chosen gapps package
    • Reboot your device and wait for first boot to complete

Need Root?
    To enable the built in root on CyanogenMod you must enable Developer Options first. Go to Settings -> About phone and repeatedly press Build number until you are told you have enabled development settings. Then go to Settings -> Developer options, find the Root access option and change it to suit your needs.

My understanding about SuperSU is that it does not easily work with CM. The current "stable" version won't work and will likely cause a bootloop. Unless you've done quite a bit of research and know what you're doing, your best bet would be to stay away from SuperSU for this ROM.

Is OTG working? I can't see my attached device!
    The OTG, to my knowledge (and personal experience), works. If you get a notification when you attach your OTG peripheral to your device, then OTG is working.

The PROBLEM is that Marshmallow (Android 6.0) does things differently with attached storage. Locations are all different from the way they were on previous versions of Android (Lollipop and earlier) and mount points are now auto-generated. Your chosen file manager must have been updated to work with the new 6.0 scheme. Not all of them have been.

For example, I just attached an OTG sdcard reader with an SD card inserted, and the storage was mounted at /mnt/media_rw/7E7B-0812

Helpful tip: An option is to go into the CM FileManager, navigate to /mnt/media_rw (or to your OTG device), press the Actions triplet menu in the lower left side and choose "Add to bookmarks." This should place the location into the bookmarks (when you press the hamburger menu or swipe in from the left) for easier access.

My camera doesn't seem to work!!!
    We are limited to the proprietary camera libraries from LG for the G2. The latest of these is for Lollipop. That means any cameras that depend on the new Marshmallow API's to operate will fail to work properly (if at all) on our devices. A major example of this is the Nexus edition of the Google Camera. Sadly, this camera is included in many "Stock" editions of Gapps (including the popular OpenGapps distribution). To complicate matters, the "Stock" edition of these Gapps packages remove the stock AOSP/CM camera. AND because the camera is basically named for the Google Camera from the Play Store, you can't install the Play Store edition. Basically, you are stuck with a non-working camera as your only option unless you install something 3rd party.

To fix this problem you'll need to instruct your Gapps to avoid installing the "Stock" Google Camera. This will leave the AOSP/CM camera in place and allow you to install the Google Camera from the Play Store. Both of these options are preferable to the non-working Nexus edition of the Google Camera. The process is detailed in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64666238&postcount=501

What about this Snap camera I've heard about?
    The "Snap" camera is actually the SnapDragon camera from Qualcomm. It's optimized for qualcomm chipsets and so is faster and generally better on our hardware than other cameras. As of nightly 20160112 it is now built into the system as the default camera. You'll want read and follow the instructions in the above entry "My camera doesn't seem to work!!!" to make sure your Gapps doesn't replace it.

Bugs, I think I genuinely have them. What should I do?
    Whine. Just whine and whine, no one will be annoyed at all. Actually, many people will be annoyed and there's a good chance I'll make fun of you.

The first thing you should actually do is to search this FAQ. Please read all the entries to make sure they really don't apply to you. Reading never killed anyone. If that doesn't turn up an answer, use the "Search this thread" box up at the top of the page and see if you can locate posts like yours on this thread. You may very well have a bug that others have solved, but please be mindful not to ask questions that have already been answered. Having to repeatedly answer the same questions over and over again is also rather annoying. If you really haven't found anything, then ask a question. Genuine bug reports are not uncommon and I'd like to see a little bit of a discussion before an official bug report goes in.

Finally, If you really think you have genuine bug, be it in CM generally or on the G2 specifically, you'll want to proceed to posting an official bug report on CyanogenMod's Jira. For more information on that, please read this handy post I made on how to post to Jira. Once you've done all of that, post a link to your bug report on this thread so we can all follow it.

My question isn't here... Should I private message you to ask?
    No! I won't be answering any questions that are sent to me privately, UNLESS I have a previous relationship with you (if you are reading this and wondering if that means you... it probably doesn't mean you). The best you can hope for in a response is sarcasm and mockery. Ask your technical questions here, or search the thread. Or search XDA, because there are many problems that are not G2 specific. Hell, there are plenty of issues that aren't even CM specific. Google, or that search box up there... they are your friends.

Is there anyone I should thank?
    Well, for me, its the people on this forum that answer questions for everyone else. Believe it or not, there are people reading this thread that DO NOT BOTHER TO READ THIS FAQ. They won't even search the thread to see if their issue has been discussed (ad nauseam) before. Yeah, they're annoying, they repeat questions, and some times they are just plain disrespectful. Usually my first instinct is to make fun of them and be as unhelpful as I can be. But I wait, and these aforementioned saints swoop in and provide help. So thank you helpful forum people. I do really appreciate it :)
    Special build... please test

Hi folks, I have a treat for you...

I've run a very special ONE-TIME BUILD: this means I will NOT under any circumstances succumb to requests for updates just because you wanna "keep up to date." I DO NOT PHYSICALLY HAVE THE CAPACITY FOR PITY. I do however have a huge capacity for ridiculing and sarcasm. Also, these things are big, take a long time to build, take a long time to upload, and eat up my bandwidth caps.

I ran a build with the following patches/fixes:
    Get it here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=48803

PLEASE MAKE A FULL BACKUP BEFORE YOU APPLY ANY OF MY BUILDS.

This has all the same patches as the 20160130 official nightly (no newer). This can be flashed over a recent cm-13.0 nightly. I've uploaded builds for d800 (because that's what I have) and for the d802 (because that's what most of you have), and d801 (cuz someone asked nice). I did run a build for d803 but I won't upload it unless someone specifically asks.

What should I know about this?
    The network selection type has some weird effects for me that go away after a reboot, and may be specific to the speedtest app. After switching back to LTE, it looks like the app loses some of the network settings (but the rest of the internet connected apps work, so... weird right?).

Audio offloading is disabled. This means audio processing happens on the CPU instead of being offloaded to low-power processing (duh). This also means that the CPU will be more active than it was before, especially when the screen is off. This in turn means more battery usage than before. But ultimately, it should mean you can seek audio and what not. I'd actually appreciate it if the heavy music listeners that wanted this patch could report back on the difference in perceived battery life.

The final two patches shouldn't be of any consequence. The radio access family thing just adds a bunch of connection modes, and the video thing should just be a little more efficient than before but hardly noticeable. I just wanna make sure your phones aren't any less stable than before.

Why am I doing this?
    Well, I wanna test the bottom two patches listed above. I realized the only way to get people to actually run them for a while would be to give them something they want (the top two patches listed above). So I put them together and am hoping for plenty of exposure.
    @dr4stic how are bugs reported to CM? Are the maintainers aware of the current bugs like the seeking error on music player and video or the slow charging issue? Or is there anything users can do to get their attention to bugs?

So there are a few issues with this that people should understand... First, bug reports happen as usual through CM's jira system. That's always been the case and it's listed in the wiki on the CM website.

I'm in contact with "the devs" as much as I can be and tend to act as a liaison as best as I can. They don't monitor these forums generally, and XDA isn't considered an official venue for CM support . They prefer their own forum system, though I don't think that'd help much in our case for a reason I'll explain later. I asked to be the one to set up the G2 MM thread so that I could at least monitor it and update the OP with pertinent information, unlike what happened on the CM-12.1 release and the thread that Shelnutt set up.

In this capacity I have to do a bunch of things when it comes to the bugs I see. Basically I have to be a big filter. I have to distinguish what's a CM bug and what's a G2 CM bug. Our devs only care about the latter. Furthermore there are some bugs that would require WAY too much work to fix, at least for the current devs. The RIL related issues are an example of that. And so I have to judge reports based on how they related to the things I know pretty much won't be fixed. (And trust me, I have discussions with them to make sure I understand the why's, the who's, and all the relations before I accept that something is really really difficult to do).

There are any number of bugs that are related to corrupted settings and caches from the countless nightly updates that people apply, just hoping for relief from whatever they think is a bug. Not every update is managed cleanly in the code and it's amazing how much simply resetting your phone can help, especially if you've been doing the update process for a while. And btw, I reset my phone quite a bit just to test out the things you people here complain about, as well as to test patches for you guys with my own custom builds.

So, with all that said above we come down to the second major problem: interest. Open source works because of interest, and a project like CM is based on the open source concept. You have two different types of interest: user interest and developer interest. For users, the interest is obvious... they typically want the latest features their hardware can support as cleanly as it can support them.

For developers the interest usually comes from having a shiny new toy to play with. The latest tech, etc. This should put into perspective why cheaper phones tend to lose support more quickly than more expensive "premium" models. And by the way, no one buys them hardware, they usually get it on their own. Even when manufacturers play ball and donate a device or two, it's not representative of the whole line (eg there are a TON of different models of the G2 alone, with at least 4 unique hardware combinations globally). I ported CM to a device once and heard all sorts of offers of doner hardware and donations... I think I collected a grand total of $28. And while I wasn't doing it for the money, it certainly wasn't representative of the months of work I put into it.

Once the device is old (like the g2) and past it's prime (like the g2) it becomes a maintenance case. And developers of shiny new things hate feeling like they're just in a maintenance role and they understandably lose interest. Angry users that don't know how to properly report or filter bugs certainly don't help.

I do my best to bring up the issues with the devs. I talk to Rashed regularly and badger him on any number of things. I make mention of bugs to him at least once, and then I hound him on things I think I can actually get him to do. And occasionally, when I get frustrated enough, I'll try and get them done myself (as with the GPS random crash bug in 12.1, or the HDR now that I'm gonna mess with). I try to befriend the newer devs to get a sense of what's going on and maybe guide some of the frustrations (hello @PsychoGame!).

The music one is a weird one, and I've been chalking it up to a weird CM thing, and since I never seek I've basically ignored it. But I'll take some time this week to bring up some of my other devices to CM-13 and see if they exibit the same behavior. I know I've had issue with the bluetooth and audio routing that seems to have cleared up a little recently, but I've still been *****ing at Rashed about it. If I see the bug I'll put it on the list in the OP and see if I can at least figure out where it's coming from. I usually get better traction on a bug when I can provide the actual error and the place it's coming from.

I hope that answers your question :)
    New WiFi Disconnect Test Build

Hello folks,

The following builds are testing a patch to the WifiStateMachine (a core thing in CM) to check the setting mIsWiFiIpReachabilityEnabled before testing. @zg85 is hoping this is the answer to everyone's prayers with the WiFi disconnect problem. The powers that be are not at all convinced this could even be the beginning of the problem, so we need as many people with the problem to test these builds for an extended period to see if they still have said problem.

I ran builds for d800, d801, and d802. They can be downloaded here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=69762

You should just be able to flash this over your existing nightly, so long as the nightly is recent. This build is full-on CM sources. And it is built with the following cherrypicked patch:

http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/150015/

The usual caveats apply. Please make backups with TWRP before applying this zip file. I am not responsible for your device, your data, your relationship, or your sanity if something should go wrong.

Thank you so much for your help.
    @zg85 it'll be up to you to monitor the results as I've been trying to be missing these days.