Bring us back from legacy!!

Search This thread

cytherian

Oct 15, 2010
NJ
Google Pixel 5
^ It's a silver metallic coating that is scratch sensitive. However, I've had my Hero for over 2 years now and it is barely showing signs of use on the button panel. I make sure I don't press buttons with my fingernails... that's the real culprit to the silver coating on the buttons being rubbed off. You can also buy protectors to go over it.

I ran into a weird problem with my Hero, where the menu button stopped functioning properly. It would intermittently mimic the home button. This was very frustrating as some apps use only the menu button to activate a settings screen. The problem started getting worse and I was planning to abandon the Hero (I've been due for an upgrade over a year now), when suddenly the button started working normally again. I chalk it up to carbon buildup inside that somehow managed to work itself out.

I'm very glad I waited as this prompted me to finally step up and flash a ROM to the phone (CM7), which has turned out to be very liberating. I didn't realize just how much more powerful the phone could be. HTC/Sprint really limited this device from its maximum capabilities... and as we've come to learn, all in the name of profit making. If you're not tired of your Hero, you don't buy a new phone! Yet, look at stereo components. Manufacturers didn't incorporate such limitations in their products. The cellular phone arena is a bit different, though... I figure mainly due to how fast new technology comes out for cellphones and manufacturers are eager to make new sales on it.

If only the Hero had gotten a more powerful processor at the time it came out, though. There is some lag you really can't hide from, especially noticeable when directly compared to an Evo. On its own, the Hero stands strong. It's such a resilient phone in many respects. Yet.. inevitably even the developers most dedicated to seeing the Hero survive will eventually max out on frustration with the limited processor and move on. Who knows... there might be a couple of very talented developers who will feel perpetually motivated to see what can be done within those confines. Look at the old Commodore 64, making a rebirth! There's actually people coding for it... can you believe it?

Last edited:

kjjjjshab

Jun 5, 2010
^ It's a silver metallic coating that is scratch sensitive. However, I've had my Hero for over 2 years now and it is barely showing signs of use on the button panel. I make sure I don't press buttons with my fingernails... that's the real culprit to the silver coating on the buttons being rubbed off....

Yeah, mine was perfect until just a few months ago.. then the end key started going fast. I have had mine for three years in December, so that is pretty good I think. Of course, there is about a pound of dust in the screen...

While I have been using the Jelly Bean alpha, I also was very happy with CM7.2 with Holo Launcher and Achep's ICS theme...

cytherian

Oct 15, 2010
NJ
Google Pixel 5
Another thing you can do is apply matte nail polish to the keys to act as a protective covering. I've not tried it, but read somewhere about someone doing it. So far I haven't seen even the slightest sign of the silver coming off. If I do start to see it, I'll have to try that nail polish... although by then I think I'll have a different phone. ;)

As for dust, I don't have any at all. I think I got a version that had the screen fix, as I remember reading about a lot of dust complaints when I first got my phone.

I didn't realize that there's a JellyBean ROM being worked on that can be installed on the Hero. Did you see much of a performance difference? I wonder what benefits you get from it.

You took off the ADW Launcher and installed Holo Launcher in its place, or did you just add Holo and configure it to be the default?

kjjjjshab

Jun 5, 2010

I didn't realize that there's a JellyBean ROM being worked on that can be installed on the Hero. Did you see much of a performance difference? I wonder what benefits you get from it.

You took off the ADW Launcher and installed Holo Launcher in its place, or did you just add Holo and configure it to be the default?

Just added Holo Launcher and configured as default. Get Acheps theme too and you will be impressed.

The Jelly Bean advantage is getting the updated gmail, calendar, etc. and the new notifications are very nice. The alpha doesn't have working camera, and GPS can cause random reboots, from my experience. The contacts are nice too, with the larger images. AND it is just pretty darn cool to be running JB on the heroc... don't really need too much more than that! :cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm on a mission. We aren't dead or a legacy device just yet. I feel we've been put here too early to make room for other phones threads. We still have updates to our roms. That's not low activity. Sure we aren't high traffic here but there's still plenty of users.

Anything you wanna chat about? Questions? This is after all the general thread.

Sent from my HTX Zero Hero Sense 3.5
    Hey if I post enough times they will let me post in the development section. So I end up killing two birds with one stone.;)

Have to say I'm glad that there is a place like xda for people to share their ideas and work. Otherwise I would probably have upgraded my little hero by now. Still actually enjoy the little phone. When I get tired of it I switch roms and boom got a new phone.

Where I live all we have is 3g so don't really figure it pays to upgrade til sprint figures out what they are doing with their 4g.

Man I remember when this forum was hoppin. I knew nothing of android. Just lurking and reading whatever I could understand. Now.. I develop for it :D And all thanks to XDA. Almost everything I learned, I learned here. It takes a lot of time reading and searching and understanding.

New users. Feel free to post here if you can't post in the development threads. Just please refrain from "stupid" questions that can easily be answered with a search. Please read the forum rules. I beg of you. They are there for a good reason. Us senior members remember what it was like being new here but it gets old answering the same questions over and over. I will be glad to help or discuss anything here. And please use the Thanks button. I'm a complete whore over it. I'll admit it. But I do return a lot of them too.

Shameless plug time :)

Try out Team Hydra's Zero Hero Sense 3.5!! It's what Sprint should have left us with!!
    Hmmmmmmmmm

Do I see a new Rom posted by Team Hydra??? Why YES I DO!

Might not ever bring us back from Legacy but we aren't a low activity device
    I'M OUT FOR BLOOD NOW!!! Lol ;) damn how'd this even start Ebaum I blame you sir

I have been blamed for much worse, I will wear this on my sleeve like a badge of honor!
    I would try reflashing the .35 kernel. Maybe that could help. Never seen that issue before.