Tethering

Search This thread

oildriller83

Aug 18, 2011
Colcord, OK
I see so its only when upgrading and yet you have the opportunity to buy the phone outright and maintain the data plan. But who wants to pay full price for a new phone?

I as well buy my phones so I'm not tied down at any given time. $600 seems expensive, but if you stick back $25 a month you can buy the new phone out right every 2 years (same as waiting for the upgrade)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA

casey225

Apr 18, 2012
Anyone have a free usb tether option that works and allows secured websites? Wifi tethers drain battery in no time.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

smokedkill

Apr 13, 2010
Anyone have a free usb tether option that works and allows secured websites? Wifi tethers drain battery in no time.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Not a free one, but I paid one. If you can't spend $10 for the app, you don't really need tethering.

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Guess what? USB tethering on the Bionic works out of the box...no entitlement checks or any other blocks. It loads an RNDIS driver in Windows when you select the USB Tether option in the Wireless Networks menu and shares the data connection with the PC.

No exploits, mods or third party software required.

;)

getyroks

Apr 5, 2011
Stock rooted de-bloated... Can someone point me in the direction of what my tethering options are for Bionic?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

If your already rooted, you can use SQ lite Editor.apk to edit the settings database on line 147 to disable the entitlement check. you can then turn on the WIFI tether and connect any device via WIFI

340DartMan

Oct 24, 2011
Motel 6
I use FoxFi from the market and it works great. I set up WPA encryption with a password. Then link to it with any wireless computer same as a wireless router. It has been very dependable for me.
I think most tether apps will drain the battery pretty fast. I usually plug my phone into the charger when tethering. I have the extended battery.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

moparfreak426

R.I.P.
Mar 22, 2012
East/Middle TN
foxfi odd a big one everyone has stayed to use claiming to not require root but I almost everyone its rooted here so couldn't tell you. I use theb latest free wifi tether app by muller, lemuns, and whoever else the other guy is. 100% free. I wifi tether some but not often. I would use foxfi fit xbox live but where I live I switch between roaming and not, dropping my signal

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using XDA

cbrown245

Aug 21, 2010
Cleveland
From what the article says is when you upgrade from 3g to 4g you will loose your unlimited data and be switched to a tiered data plan, so the question really is what if you are already on a 4g unlimited data plan what exactly is changing besides your phone when you upgrade? Nothing

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda premium

gradshemi

Jul 31, 2010
What he said! Bionic is a fairly unique phone in that it can DO wifi tether without any sort of app (I think it's line 147...something...something...)

OK, here it is:
Settings Storage (the one with the picture of the hammer and wrench)
settings.db
settings
line 147 (entitlement check) edit the value from "1" to "0", reboot, and it will no longer tattle to Verizon when you turn on your wifi hotspot

That's probably the ONLY thing of note I'll ever do to the phone, aside from freezing 800 unwanted apps

After i edited line 147 i tried going back into it and editing again but it's pulling up an error saying it can't open up the database? Is this a Read/write permissions issue?

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States

smokedkill

Apr 13, 2010
I found a free wifi tether app on the market that works without doing anything other than approving it in superuser.

Mejud

Apr 21, 2012
After i edited line 147 i tried going back into it and editing again but it's pulling up an error saying it can't open up the database? Is this a Read/write permissions issue?

Just notice this....did you ever work that out?

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

Guess what? USB tethering on the Bionic works out of the box...no entitlement checks or any other blocks. It loads an RNDIS driver in Windows when you select the USB Tether option in the Wireless Networks menu and shares the data connection with the PC.

No exploits, mods or third party software required.

;)

What version of Windows do you have? I'd LIKE to use the native USB tether now and again, but my 32 bit XP sp3 machine cannot get past the %#^#$^ RNDIS driver---have read a dozen suggestions, installed several items, cannot find a driver that will satisfy Windows in this area

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Spend $3 and buy SQLite editor
    What he said! Bionic is a fairly unique phone in that it can DO wifi tether without any sort of app (I think it's line 147...something...something...)

OK, here it is:
    Settings Storage (the one with the picture of the hammer and wrench)
    settings.db
    settings
    line 147 (entitlement check) edit the value from "1" to "0", reboot, and it will no longer tattle to Verizon when you turn on your wifi hotspot

That's probably the ONLY thing of note I'll ever do to the phone, aside from freezing 800 unwanted apps