How-To Adblock Without Rooting (mobile data adblock working)

Search This thread

phazey12

Jun 19, 2010
I didn't see this readily available and with many people not wanting to root and trip their Knox counter, I thought I'd show you how to get adblocking without root. This will work on both wifi and mobile data.

--First step would be to install Adblock Plus APK. I got mine from: https://adblockplus.org/en/android-install

--After installing, run the app once and activate filtering. It should now be blocking all ads on wifi only. To enable adblock on mobile data you need to add a proxy to your APN.

--Go to system settings>network connections>more networks>mobile networks>access point names. What you need to do now is go to you default APN and copy down all the settings. We only do this because you cannot edit the original APN it seems. Now create a new APN and enter in the copied settings. The only additional settings you add to add to the new APN is:

---Proxy: localhost

---Port: 2020

Make sure you set the new APN you created as active and adblocking should be working! I have done this on my T-mobile S5. Hopefully some of you will find this useful.

crazymook

Aug 4, 2007
Gonna give this a test.

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

I had to modify my proxy for wifi and the app seems to be working (I need to find something that has ads, ha)...but I'm unable to modify my AP on my sprint s5.

phazey12

Jun 19, 2010
Gonna give this a test.

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

I had to modify my proxy for wifi and the app seems to be working (I need to find something that has ads, ha)...but I'm unable to modify my AP on my sprint s5.

Yea, I couldnt modify the APN on my S5 either. I just made a new one and copied over the settings.

Reactions: krewett and hugh a

ewa12321

May 19, 2010
Works with all my wifi, only added proxy and port. Android apps looks nicer now thx, still didn't tested it on mobile data

typed from dark room

Reactions: ViiGA

MaTiCeK-

Apr 23, 2010
Thanks for this, it works, but have to manually add proxy and port to every single wlan network.

phazey12

Jun 19, 2010
It doesn't seem to work with Verizon phones. Anyone no verizon get this to work? Apparently you can't even create new APN's on verizons s5

Vogal

Oct 28, 2005
Leiria
Works!
And we have to do this settings in every wifi network or just once ?
Thanks

Last edited:

jkDave

Nov 1, 2013
Followed instructions exactly. Filtering says enabled, new APN selected. Still not working for me. AT&T variant S5.

chrispyutec

Apr 6, 2011
Tyler, Texas
I didn't see this readily available and with many people not wanting to root and trip their Knox counter, I thought I'd show you how to get adblocking without root. This will work on both wifi and mobile data.

--First step would be to install Adblock Plus APK. I got mine from: https://adblockplus.org/en/android-install

--After installing, run the app once and activate filtering. It should now be blocking all ads on wifi only. To enable adblock on mobile data you need to add a proxy to your APN.

--Go to system settings>network connections>more networks>mobile networks>access point names. What you need to do now is go to you default APN and copy down all the settings. We only do this because you cannot edit the original APN it seems. Now create a new APN and enter in the copied settings. The only additional settings you add to add to the new APN is:

Make sure you set the new APN you created as active and adblocking should be working! I have done this on my T-mobile S5. Hopefully some of you will find this useful.

Thanks, it worked like a charm. No root on AT&T and not having some sort of ad blocking was killing me. You are awesome and I hit your thanks button.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Gonna give this a test.

Yea, I couldnt modify the APN on my S5 either. I just made a new one and copied over the settings.
    Hi guys,

Sometime Adblock Plus crash... quite annoying.

I've decided to root mostly for AdAway ...
    For those of you on Verizon, try Adguard - http://adguard.com/en/welcome.html. I just tried it on my Galaxy S6 on Verizon and it works! You do have to pay for the premium version but I took a chance and it works great!
    Awesome post!!

So tired of trying to read the latest anime when ads pop up to ruin my flow!

You mean manga?