FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Post Reply Email Thread
This only really applies to those with S-ON Unlocked, HBOOT 1.45.0013. Once we figure out how to get S-OFF on all phones, this guide will become unneeded! In the meantime, this is here for those of us that are S-ON but want to play with ICS.

THIS TUTORIAL ALSO APPLIES TO ANY CUSTOM ROMS THAT REQUIRE A CUSTOM KERNEL.

If you're S-ON LOCKED, go HERE and UNLOCK your phone!

I'm assuming you have
  • Fastboot set up as a PATH, or copied to the folder you are extracting boot.img to
  • HTC Drivers installed
  • Clockwork Recovery

1.) Grab your ROM of choice.
2.) Open up your ROM in 7zip or another file compression program.
3.) Extract the "boot.img" file that's inside to a folder.
4.) Open the command prompt and go to the folder you extracted the "boot.img" file too.

"cd" in the command prompt stands for "change directory", so you will need to type that before the path to where your boot.img file is located.

5.) Reboot your phone into fastboot mode. To do this, turn off your phone by holding down the "Volume down" and "Power" buttons until the fastboot screen arrives. There should be three Androids on skateboards on the bottom.
6.) Press the power button once on the "fastboot" option. Your phone should now connect to the computer and it should say "fastboot usb" on your phone.
7.) In the command prompt, type the following command:
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
8.) Assuming you've done everything properly, this will overwrite the existing kernel on your phone with the kernel that comes with your ROM.
9.) Now, reboot your phone into Recovery. At this point, flash your ROM by flashing the zip file.
10.) Reboot and enjoy your new ROM!

Thanks to Blue6IX for telling me how to do this and to yogi2010 for making me realize I forgot to tell people to actually flash the ROM itself. Figured I'd make a guide for those that didn't know about it since it's probably hidden somewhere underneath pages and pages of comments on other ROMs.
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to Limewirelord For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Limewirelord Ad-Free
21st February 2012, 09:44 AM |#2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 15,175

Donate to Me
More
probably worth stickying for a while till we get to know how to downgrade to an s-offable state?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tbalden For This Useful Post: [ View ]
757VaPtown
21st February 2012, 12:34 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm also lucky the phone I purchased off Craigslist was root able.

Sent from my HTC myTouch_4G_Slide using xda premium
22nd February 2012, 07:49 PM |#5  
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 8

Donate to Me
More
I can confirm this does indeed work as advertised. I'm S-On Unlocked with latest HBOOT, installed pyr-o-ice 1.1.1 yesterday, its running as it should.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZeikHunter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ZeikHunter Ad-Free
22nd February 2012, 08:07 PM |#6  
Recognized Developer
Flag Budapest

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeikHunter

I can confirm this does indeed work as advertised. I'm S-On Unlocked with latest HBOOT, installed pyr-o-ice 1.1.1 yesterday, its running as it should.

Nice to hear that

We need this stickied, don't we? Who do we have to contact?

sent from HTC Doubleshot pyroiced
23rd February 2012, 01:39 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 84

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbalden

Nice to hear that

We need this stickied, don't we? Who do we have to contact?

sent from HTC Doubleshot pyroiced

We should just get you and Blue moderator status lol
23rd February 2012, 04:44 PM |#8  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,834

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limewirelord

We should just get you and Blue moderator status lol

This thread's been reported!

And thusly stickied. Voila!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to arrrghhh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift arrrghhh Ad-Free
24th February 2012, 03:22 AM |#9  
Flag Indianapolis
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Will this method work for all of the ROMs we have here for the mt4gs? One I have been looking at is Bulletproof. If I use the same technique you've explained, will I get the same end result?
24th February 2012, 08:33 AM |#10  
Recognized Developer
Flag Budapest

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuhto

Will this method work for all of the ROMs we have here for the mt4gs? One I have been looking at is Bulletproof. If I use the same technique you've explained, will I get the same end result?

yep, it will work!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tbalden For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)