Galaxy Nexus Extended Battery on Skyrocket?

Search This thread

ElBeaner

Feb 22, 2012
Dallas
I'm gonna stop by a Verizon store on lunch and pick one up.

Anyone know if this battery fits in the desktop chargers? I have an RND desktop, hopefully it will fit in the spare battery compartment to allow it to charge. Since it is not too much thicker, I don't forsee a problem.

I'll know more later this afternoon.

EDIT:

Ok so I tested my standard battery with a small BofA NFC enabled card(it's one of those key chain looking cards, but designed to be placed on the backside of a battery case)

Using it with my standard battery I was able to CRAM it into the spare battery charging dock(very tight fit), so if the 2100mah battery is not any thicker than those two combined, I should be ok. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad383Max

f308gt4

May 14, 2011
Thanks, let us know. I'm guessing it should probably make around a ~15% difference, so 12 hours x 0.15 = about an extra 1.8 hours.

I ordered one from Amazon, but it looks like I won't get it until next week. Should have just stopped by a Verizon store...

Well, I got my package from Amazon on Sat. Of course, they sent me the wrong item...

So, while I deal with returning it, I just went out to the Verizon store and bought one. Charged it up, and used it on Sun. Fit was fine. Back cover closed (Used the technique described above by guapinoy). I have one of those cheap Fishbone cases from ebay, and it seems to fit OK on the phone with the new battery.

After about 12 hours of use it was at 25% when I started charging again. This was in an area of crappy reception for a good chunk of the day, and with moderate use (for me, I think I'm probably considered a light user).

I understand that battery life should get better with a few charging cycles, so I'm happy.

For $25, it's worth it. Yeah, you are only getting 10-15% more battery life (in theory), but when you consider you get a OEM battery (with NFC), and you can keep your original as a spare, its not a bad deal at all.

ElBeaner

Feb 22, 2012
Dallas
Well I went on lunch and picked this up.

Charging right now, but it fit(again with some cramming) into my desktop dock.

It is easy to get in, but a little difficult getting out. I might take the dock home tonight and work on it with the dremel, but not sure yet. Already had to dremel the actual holder a bit to make it so it will allow me to dock with a case on.

Pics

20120312_123221.jpg

20120312_123206.jpg

Last edited:

j2thar1st

Nov 2, 2008
White Plains, NY
Just ran out and bought one during my lunch break. Can't wait til I get home to charge this puppy overnight and see the differences.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

ElBeaner

Feb 22, 2012
Dallas
Well I ran a test on it, from 100% charge to basically phone giving up and shutting down. I've already previous to this performed 1 full cycle charge(charge to 100% and deplete), so this is the second go.

I turned EVERYTHING on, BT, GPS, Screen to 100%.

Then I loaded up a game called 3D Mini Golf (game has a memory leak and will keep your CPU running at 50% or higher even when phone is idle) and minimized it(basically left it running in the background).

Then I started streaming on LTE via the HBO Go app, Harry Potter Deathly Hollows. Once that was done, I did YouTube streaming along with a bunch of speed test via the speedtest.net app.

Started all this at approximately 5pm yesterday (phone came off the charger at 4:30 pm CST - 30 min drive home). After all was said and done, I had used up approximately 1.5 GB of data. The phone gave up at approximately 11:30pm last night.

Battery lasted 6.5 hours under HEAVY intensive use.

I've since fully charged it, and now and doing a real world test(how I would normally use it) and we shall see.

Phone came off the charger at 1am cst.

Last edited:

f308gt4

May 14, 2011
Can someone make this thread a sticky?

I think it's useful information to have. The battery works well, pretty much fits, has NFC, and lasts a little longer than stock (10-15%, based on my calculations earlier). While it is a small percentage increase, it does provide for some peace of mind when away from a charger.

If you are going to buy an OEM battery for backup, etc., it makes sense to purchase this one.

moose350

Mar 1, 2012
Houston
Loving the extra battery. My typical day would be 15 hours MAX with the stock battery. Now when I hit 15 hours i still have a good percentage left. 15-25% depending on usage that day.

lirong

Feb 21, 2012
I bought one of these at a Verizon store yesterday for $25.

Fits fine - bulges a little but works.

Unfortunately I dont have a very scientific way to relate this but I can tell you that the battery life performance is very good. Better than the stock battery. For the price, its a no brainer.

For me using this as the primary and the original as the backup IM good to go. Im not a super heavy user but I have been on the phone all day (since about 8am), using it to surf the web, push email all day long and about 2-3 hours of phone calls and at 9pm I am only starting to hit my battery low.

Basically it will give me about a full day of moderate usage (GPS off unless I use maps, some phone calls, a lot of email, some web browsing, all phone calls with bluetooth) and provides enough extra kick over the original battery to matter and be worth the investment....

ElBeaner

Feb 22, 2012
Dallas
Ok after using the battery the way a normal user might, I have to say i'm impressed .

This is what I managed

SC20120315-132715.png

SC20120315-132730.png

The battery was at 4% when I took those screen shots.

creedicd

Nov 26, 2011
Been using this battery for about a week and it's working very well so far. Fits in my pop case perfectly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this, really big help, 5 stars!

Got a funny story for ya..... I called a corporate VzW store since the AD didn't have any in stock and had to order it, so I said I would search around town first. Here's how the convo went:

"I'm calling to find put if you have the Galaxy Nexus extended battery in stock?"
"Sure,let me check for you." Put me on hold.
(Before about 5 seconds passed, she returned....)
"Oh I'm sorry, I wasn't even thinking, the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have a removable battery."
"The Galaxy Nexus absolutely has a removable battery."
"Oh wait, you're right, but there isn't an extended battery made for it."
"There absolutely is an extended battery made for it."
"Ahh, yes, here it is, the price is $49.99."
"No.... the price is $25."
"Oh, right, there's a special going on right now." (Is there??? This isn't the standard price?)
"Okay, I'll be right there to pick it up...."

Seriously? Do you want me to do your job for you next time? It's times like this that I'm thankful to have AT&T, for real.....

Now that I got it, how are you guys getting the cover to fully close on the left side where the clips are nearest the edge of the battery? I can't get it to fully close - I wouldn't mind it buldging a bit, but that it doesn't fully close is a little unsettling!

Thanks again!!

Reactions: Voiid

moose350

Mar 1, 2012
Houston
Thanks for posting this, really big help, 5 stars!

Got a funny story for ya..... I called a corporate VzW store since the AD didn't have any in stock and had to order it, so I said I would search around town first. Here's how the convo went:

"I'm calling to find put if you have the Galaxy Nexus extended battery in stock?"
"Sure,let me check for you." Put me on hold.
(Before about 5 seconds passed, she returned....)
"Oh I'm sorry, I wasn't even thinking, the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have a removable battery."
"The Galaxy Nexus absolutely has a removable battery."
"Oh wait, you're right, but there isn't an extended battery made for it."
"There absolutely is an extended battery made for it."
"Ahh, yes, here it is, the price is $49.99."
"No.... the price is $25."
"Oh, right, there's a special going on right now." (Is there??? This isn't the standard price?)
"Okay, I'll be right there to pick it up...."

Seriously? Do you want me to do your job for you next time? It's times like this that I'm thankful to have AT&T, for real.....

Now that I got it, how are you guys getting the cover to fully close on the left side where the clips are nearest the edge of the battery? I can't get it to fully close - I wouldn't mind it buldging a bit, but that it doesn't fully close is a little unsettling!

Thanks again!!

I got just about the same response/convo with a verizon person too. Unfortunately ATT reps may be a little smarter but man the corporation fawks with people hard core.

desilva79

Jul 1, 2011
I just got one myself , the cover is slightly buldging but I use a TPU case so you can't tell once it's in the case. Going to let a few charge cycle go by before I judge the battery.

f308gt4

May 14, 2011

Thanks again!!

See post # 10 in this thread:

guapinoy said:
I snapped the battery case bottom, top, left, then right. (Reminds me of the Contra code) The left side is shut but it bulges out a bit like the picture.

See post # 10 in this thread:

I saw the Contra code post, but mine isn't bulging out, it is not snapped in on that one clip a all! I can see the battery if I blow out the pocket lint that has accumulated in the opening from just one day of use! I'm loving the battery life so far, and it should get better with use, so I'm happy, but man this is a TIGHT fit.... not as tight as the car dock situation I'm dealing with on the other thread though

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think this info should be added to the op:
    ---------------------------------
    1. Go to Sprint Employee Referral Program [sprint.com]
    2. enter: russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com (as email) // 383 as Employee ID // [this info is public]
    3. make your way to accessories, select galaxy Nexus, add the battery [sprint.com] to cart and enter battery1 coupon code
    4. check out (total should be free, with free shipping), be sure to enter the employee email and ID on the check out page again.
    5. wait for the sent email

NOTE: The description says that it is a bundle that is free with purchase of GNex but it will allow you to checkout with just the battery in your cart! When I applied the coupon code, it redirected me to select a phone. When i clicked back (google chrome) and reapplied the coupon, it took me to checkout (free).
    ------------------------

This worked for me.
    Okay friends, now's the time to stock up! check out this deal for a FREE Nexus extended battery from Sprint! http://slickdeals.net/f/5055866-FREE-Sprint-Galaxy-Nexus-extended-battery?

I bought one for $0 shipped. Did have to enter my credit card info of course.

Enjoy!
    Here's an instructable on one method of trimming down the battery for those who have poor fitment.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Modify-a-Galaxy-Nexus-extended-battery-to-fit-the-/
    Do you mind posting pics of what you did?

Your wish is granted :)
    As with all modifications, I can not be held responsible for your actions. Including, but not limited to trying to modify your phone or battery. You will obviously lose the warranty on the battery, and possibly the phone.

I unwrapped the battery in step 1, thus exposing the NFC antenna, so It's there for sure :)
    I only needed to take a bit off the top left corner, not even the unwrapping part. It's just plastic that's needed to keep it looking symmetric. Who cares about looks when its gonna be covered by the lid. I'll take a pick with my transformer, but i'm in my car, so please excuse the lighting

{This is the extended battery that is sold by Verizon for the Samsung galaxy nexus, It has just been undressed (needlessly), and sanded in the top left corner}

Please press the thank button if I helped

sent from my transformer prime