[Guide] Unbrand HTC 8X

Search This thread

xboxmod

Senior Recognized Developer
May 20, 2007
Gap

Hi
i have successfuly unbrand my locked,vodafone branded 8X and flash a Stock HTC rom ! :victory:
the process has been tested on PM232****/c620e Device & also 8S using different filename....
this process bypass the CID check like Wp7 goldcard & can also fix some bad flash/reboot loop.

Caution!
use at your own risk.
I take no responsibility for any conflict or damage to your device

Requirements:
-An Y-cable
-sd card or usb drive key
-the 3 .nbh extracted from those 2 exe using winrar:
official rom HTC_Europe_2.00.401.03
ACDU FIX*

-RUU_Signed.nbh
-UEFI_signed.nbh
-ACDU_UEFI_PROV_KEY.nbh

How to flash:

1- Format your sdcard or usb key in fat32
2-Copy the file .nbh you want to flash to the usb key
3-Rename it ACDUDIAG.nbh
4-Connect the usb key to the Y-cable powered
5-Shutdown the phone press camera button and connect the cable
you will see the text ACDUDIAG.nbh on top left during 1 second
then the flash will start.

For my european device with Bootloader 162966 i have flash in this order:
-UEFI_signed.nbh
-ACDU_UEFI_PROV_KEY.nbh
-UEFI_signed.nbh
-RUU_Signed.nbh
-ACDU_UEFI_PROV_KEY.nbh
-UEFI_signed.nbh

* Notice:
(try different order for flash files if you have problem or if stuck on bootloader screen with uefi message)
I have used this step but i think you can directly flash
UEFI_signed.nbh then -RUU_Signed.nbh without Acdu depending on your software version

Last edited:

David Horn

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 30, 2008
Manchester
D'oh - bootloop.

Remember those images posted of the Windows recovery menu on a Windows Phone? Well, they weren't fake. :(

Woohoo! It worked (eventually). Not entirely sure the instructions above are entirely in the right order, but a random combination followed by a hard reset and re-flash got me back into Windows. The question is, has this fixed the missing features that Orange for whatever reason stripped out?

Update: Yep, there they are... :D Though I am somewhat disappointed that I don't get to take the phone back to the shop with the Windows Recovery Menu on display.

Last edited:

jValdron

Oct 15, 2010
Would this work on my Canadian phone (Bell Mobility), even though the RUU if for the European version?

EDIT: Ummm, it seems my phone is a PM2330002 and not PM232xx...

Idhor Naergon

Aug 18, 2009
Brasília, DF
Portuguese (Brazil)??

I would like to know if this rom has multi-language and if has Portuguese (Brazil). would it be possible to someone who was successful in installing the rom to tell me this?

anhthai

Feb 4, 2010
HỒ CHÍ MINH
Please help!
@xboxmod
I get ACDU_UEFI_PROV_KEY.nbh file?
f3dda70c483d77b10de9041f5b1545be_53206509.282013110530pm.png

B

Brett VanKirk

Anyone know if this will work on a Verizon HTC 8X? I am a little hesitant to try and force this flash and have it brick the phone. Attached is a screen shot of the software/hardware version.

I bought this phone from Verizon due to them selling it "unlocked" and under the assumption that Microsoft/HTC would be controlling the updates and not Verizon. I was wrong, even though the phone is “unlocked” Verizon is blocking MMS and internet connection sharing even if my SIM supports said features. An HTC rep has also confirmed that Verizon is blocking such features after several support calls. Talking to Verizon they have no knowledge of any update forth coming to Windows Phone 8. Verizon refered me to HTC even after I instructed them the international and AT&T/T-Mobile verisions have the Portico update, they denied any update exists!!

Attachments

• wp_ss_20130209_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20130209_0001.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 6,771
Last edited:

aaronk.yupi

Feb 9, 2013
Same problem

Anyone know if this will work on a Verizon HTC 8X? I am a little hesitant to try and force this flash and have it brick the phone. Attached is a screen shot of the software/hardware version.

I bought this phone from Verizon due to them selling it "unlocked" and under the assumption that Microsoft/HTC would be controlling the updates and not Verizon. I was wrong, even though the phone is “unlocked” Verizon is blocking MMS and internet connection sharing even if my SIM supports said features. An HTC rep has also confirmed that Verizon is blocking such features after several support calls. Talking to Verizon they have no knowledge of any update forth coming to Windows Phone 8. Verizon refered me to HTC even after I instructed them the international and AT&T/T-Mobile verisions have the Portico update, they denied any update exists!!

Hello,

I bought the same phone at Microsoft store at Chicago.
Although it works fine in Israel, I have some problems.
I cant send SMS (it adds to all numbers +1 - like in States).
I can recieve SMS of course. I also cant share internet connection(hot spot).

I talked to HTC guys who sent me to Verizon and they sent me to F#@!@# myself :( .

So I would like very much to set the European ROM with my PC on HTC 8x.

Can anyone tell me how to do it? I have normal USB cable to connect HTC to
my Win7 or W8 PC to transfer music or pics.

Thanks,
Aaron

mans550

Jan 31, 2010
Hi thanks for the post..

I'm just wondering if this will work on an 8X that has already had an OTA update? :confused:

PUERTO_RUK

Sep 26, 2008
Central Virginia by way of NY
Hi thanks for the post..

I'm just wondering if this will work on an 8X that has already had an OTA update? :confused:

this is big news! If this bypasses the cid, could you not make this a "custom" rom? Somewhat like what devs were doing with Motorola Droid X when Motorola was locking their bootloaders down and the eFuse? In theory the signatures and verifications would be "officially signed".

DrummerJDM25

Mar 16, 2011
Hello. I was wondering if anyone has been able to achieve this on the Verizon HTC 8X. I'm tired of waiting for Portico from them and if I could unbrand my device then I could receive Portico as well as have the ability to group text. Also I'm not sure what you mean by a "Y Cable". If you could elaborate on that I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

kid1988

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has been able to achieve this on the Verizon HTC 8X. I'm tired of waiting for Portico from them and if I could unbrand my device then I could receive Portico as well as have the ability to group text. Also I'm not sure what you mean by a "Y Cable". If you could elaborate on that I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!
You should check if the hard/software versions match, If they do you can try. If they don't you can still try but risk of the device not booting anymore.

Y cable is two female USB plugs connected, and a USB male plug only for +5v DC. check here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1676794

Reactions: cqv and pagereborn

DrummerJDM25

Mar 16, 2011
You should check if the hard/software versions match, If they do you can try. If they don't you can still try but risk of the device not booting anymore.

Y cable is two female USB plugs connected, and a USB male plug only for +5v DC. check here:

My bootloader version is 157404 which is before the version listed on page one. However since I'm a noob to Windows Phone I'd rather have someone with more experience attempt it first and let me know the results. I'd really like to get the group text feature that Verizon disabled back. :)

spikedviper

Feb 6, 2013
I currently see the whoopping 4 days of average phone usage after this update, it was 1.5 days max before.
Can somebody else confirm the prolonged battery life, or its just a placebo effect?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi
    i have successfuly unbrand my locked,vodafone branded 8X and flash a Stock HTC rom ! :victory:
    the process has been tested on PM232****/c620e Device & also 8S using different filename....
    this process bypass the CID check like Wp7 goldcard & can also fix some bad flash/reboot loop.

Caution!
    use at your own risk.
    I take no responsibility for any conflict or damage to your device

Requirements:
    -An Y-cable
    -sd card or usb drive key
    -the 3 .nbh extracted from those 2 exe using winrar:
    official rom HTC_Europe_2.00.401.03
    ACDU FIX*

-RUU_Signed.nbh
    -UEFI_signed.nbh
    -ACDU_UEFI_PROV_KEY.nbh

How to flash:

1- Format your sdcard or usb key in fat32
    2-Copy the file .nbh you want to flash to the usb key
    3-Rename it ACDUDIAG.nbh
    4-Connect the usb key to the Y-cable powered
    5-Shutdown the phone press camera button and connect the cable
    you will see the text ACDUDIAG.nbh on top left during 1 second
    then the flash will start.

For my european device with Bootloader 162966 i have flash in this order:
    -UEFI_signed.nbh
    -ACDU_UEFI_PROV_KEY.nbh
    -UEFI_signed.nbh
    -RUU_Signed.nbh
    -ACDU_UEFI_PROV_KEY.nbh
    -UEFI_signed.nbh

* Notice:
    (try different order for flash files if you have problem or if stuck on bootloader screen with uefi message)
    I have used this step but i think you can directly flash
    UEFI_signed.nbh then -RUU_Signed.nbh without Acdu depending on your software version

Thank you!

Successful from asia to eu ;)
    11105_426778994074110_871715720_n.jpg

66751_426783034073706_1957505276_n.jpg
    Hi at all,

i have now a brandingfree HTC 8x :)

base was the following rom and bootloader:
    german o2 firmware:15232.20.20002.207
    bootloader: 0.0.1532.20(161722)

very very good guide in first post...

you need only this:
    http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...s_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=pocketpc0d-21
    http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...s_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=pocketpc0d-21

but two difference on my own...

the message
    display after step 8, NOT after Step 7
    with error UEFI for Key Provision ONLY

i have flashed in step 9 again the "ruu_signed.nbh" named as "ACDUDIAG.nbh" (same as step 1)

i've got 2 error messages at the end of flashing process...

- first
    firmware update for touchscreen firmware failure
    (but Touchscreen works well???)

- after step 9 complete, HTC8X boot to boot loader and display the message
    UEFI for Key Provision ONLY

3. now i have rebooted device and everything works fine...

notice with restore:
    if you will be restore your backup-settings, device will be fall in a boot-loop after HTC-Logo, next Display is black and then come the loop...
    only help was a "hard reset"...

thanks for this great tutorial...