Chromecast will not connect to my TELUS ROUTER

Search This thread

xasthe

May 9, 2011
Vancouver
Not sure if this has been solved in another thread, but since searching turned this one up...

I have the Actiontec V1000H with Firmware: 31.121L.13

I have turned off the AP Pin, ensured UPnP is enabled and turned off NAT firewall in favour of High with some settings tweaked for my needs.

Since turning off the NAT firewall, my Chromecast has worked flawlessly with this modem/router.

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
You misunderstand the Actiontec settings. You can't turn off NAT. In the context of the Actiontec Firewall Security settings, NAT Only is the lowest security level, meaning "no protocol blocking". The other 3 settings High/Medium/Low add some additional protocol blocking on top of NAT Only.

Other people have noticed that changing the Firewall Security setting to High may get the Chromecast to work - and then it keeps on working when the Security level is set back to NAT Only, for a while at least. I haven't seen any explanation. Someone could probably figure it out by going through all the individual protocols that can be blocked in the table one at a time until they found the one that matters. Maybe it's something to do with DNS. Maybe it's nothing to do with any of the protocols and more about causing a reset. But I don't think anyone has the patience to track it down.

Last edited:

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
I did some more testing with the Telus Actiontec V1000H router and the Chromecast since I was thinking of giving a Chromecast as a gift to someone who has the Telus router.

This was the sequence:

1. I turned off the 2.4 GHz WiFi on my own router and turned on the 2.4 GHz WiFi on the Actiontec, giving it the same SSID and password.

2. I plugged in the the Chromecast, and it successfully connected with the default WiFi settings and showed connected to the internet.

3. I connected my iPod Touch to the Actiontec WiFi and fired up the Youtube app. It showed a Chromecast icon, but when I clicked on it it showed the name of the Chromecast as "?". Nevertheless it successfully connected and played a Youtube video on my Chromecast. Afterward the Chromecast icon displayed the correct name of my Chromecast. I was also able to connect using the Chromecast setup app and look at the Chromecast settings.

4. My Android tablet disconnected from WiFi when I switched routers, so I reconnected it to the Actiontec WiFi and scanned for my Chromecast. Nothing - no Chromecast detected. The iPod could still see the Chromecast and communicate with it on the same WiFi network.

5. Following the trick that other people have used, I turned on High security blocking on the Actiontec router. Now my Android tablet suddenly could see the Chromecast and connect to it (makes no sense because all that setting does is block certain protocols). But now the iPod couldn't see the Chromecast any more. I turned off the High security and went back to the normal NAT-Only security setting on the Actiontec. The Android tablet could still see the Chromecast, and the iPod still couldn't.

6. I cycled the WiFi connection off and on for both devices, and rebooted the Chromecast. The situation remained the same - Android tablet could still see the Chromecast, the iPod couldn't - the reverse of the initial situation even though the router settings were back to the same as they were originally. I also noted that the Chromecast took a l-o-n-g time to connect after rebooting, whereas initially it was quick.

I can't figure out this pattern. There might not be a pattern - there may be an internal bug in the Actiontec firmware. Anyone else got any ideas?

Last edited:

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
For completeness I would redo your test giving the Actiontec a different SSID - or forgetting the SSID on all devices first. I've seen weird behavior with some devices when an SSID is reused on a different AP.

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
Ok, good suggestion. The results (see below) are more successful, but still confusing:

1. I once again turned off the WiFi on my regular router and turned on the WiFi on the Actiontec, giving it a new never-before-used SSID.

2. I plugged in the Chromecast, expecting it to tell me that it could not connect, and needed setup. Wrong! It connected successfully to the internet. And when I connected my iPod Touch and ran the Chromecast app, it could connect to the Chromecast. My guess is that somehow the Chromecast is remembering WiFi networks by something other than their SSID, and because it had connected to the Actiontec WiFi network before, it was able to reconnect to it even though it had a different SSID! I wouldn't have guessed that.

3. I reset the Chromecast with a long button push, and did the setup from scratch using the iPod Chromecast app. It appeared to go through the setup fine, specifying the new WiFi network and new device name, but when it tried to complete the setup on the Chromecast, something went wrong and the Chromecast got stuck. I eventually pulled the plug and rebooted it. On startup it had the new WiFi network SSID and connected successfully, but the device name had not been changed. The Chromecast app was able to connect to it. The Youtube app was able to see it, but could not play on it.

4. I updated my Chromecast app to the latest version (just in case), did a long-button-push reset again, and went through the entire setup again. This time it completed successfully. The Chromecast app could see the device, and Youtube could see it. But Youtube videos still wouldn't play correctly. The TV screen would blank and show a spinning circle, and the progress bar in the iPod Youtube app would show the video apparently playing, but nothing on the TV screen. I disconnected, updated the Youtube app to the latest version (just in case), tried again several times, different videos - same thing.

5. I got out the Android tablet and gave it a quick test. Same thing: it can see the Chromecast, but can't play anything on it.

6. I tried the set-security-to-High trick on the Actiontec. No help. Put it back to NAT-only.

6. I unplugged and rebooted the Chromecast again. It reconnected fine, and now everything suddenly worked. Youtube and a couple of other apps were able to play media successfully on the Chromecast from both the iPod and the Android tablet.

7. Everything was fine until I tried Netflix. The Chromecast went into the Netflix app successfully and loaded the content to 100%. Then it went back to 0% and tried again. Then it exited without playing anything, and the Netflix app on the iPod crashed and exited. I unplugged and rebooted the Chromecast again, tried Netflix again with the same video, and this time everything was fine. Another unplug and reboot, and everything stayed fine - for the moment.

8. I switched the WiFi back, did a long reset on the Chromecast and reconnected it to my normal router, did the setup again, gave it a quick test.. That all went perfectly smoothly, unlike the Actiontec.

So what can we conclude from this? The Chromecast definitely can work on the Telus Actiontec V1000H, but it's erratic. I encountered problems several times, and although each time I was able to get past the problem, I don't understand how or why. It might stabilize in long-term use, or it could be a frequent annoyance.

BTW, one other observation: I specified the country as United States during setup (as usual), and indeed the country code shown in the Chromecast properties after setup was United States as specified and remained so through several power cycles - even though I'm using Telus, a Canadian ISP.

nolook

Sep 5, 2010
im having to reboot my actiontech randomly to get chromecast working... major PITA...

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
I tested the Chromecast again with the Telus Actiontec V1000H to be sure it would work again, and this time everything seemed to work perfectly.

I turned on the Actiontec WiFi network, then I powered up the Chromecast, connected to it from my Android tablet on my regular WiFi network and told it to switch to the Actiontec WiFi (BTW, I can do that in the Android Chromecast app, but not in the iOS Chromecast app). The Chromecast app warns me that the tablet needs to change WiFi networks too, and does that for me automatically. Everything switched over seamlessly, and I was able to connect all the Chromecast-enabled Android apps to my Chromecast on the Actiontec WiFi network. Then I tried my iPod, and it communicated with the Chromecast just fine too. No repeat of the previous erratic behavior, although I didn't give it a long-term test.

Fman1234

May 17, 2017
Switched my router settings from 5G to 2.4G in the wireless setup section/basic setup/frequency. Worked right away.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    fixed...

It could be a few things not related to the router directly but related in how the Router connects to your ISP.

So a couple of questions...

1. What kind of service is your ISP? (DSL, CABLE, OTHER)
    2. What Public IP does your router report? (Usually found on the status page that shows connection data) If it starts off 192.168 then your Modem is doing a double nat translation and you need to call your ISP and tell them you want the Modem to be put into gateway mode and just pass a public IP to your router.
    3. Does the CCast actually connect to the Router but not work or will it not connect at all period? If it doesn't connect at all it is possible you need to change the Security method used to WPA or WEP. To test shut off security alltogether and try to connect the CCast. If there is currently NO security try putting WPA on and trying again (but it should work on an open AP)

Service is Telus DSL.

Solution: I changed the security settings. It still tries to stop the CCast from talking to my phone once in a while, but I just log into my router and log into the firewall settings. The firewall settings are "high, medium, low, NAT". It started working once I started turning it off of NAT and onto Medium or High.

I don't know why this is the solution, but it is a solution. I suspect that either Telus will fix the prolbem for everyone else or this thread will become popular. Now CCast is coming to Canada. So either Telus fixes it or there'll be a lot of searching leading to this post.

As a reminder, a friend of mine on telus never toughed his firewall settings and never had a problem with using his CCast. Go figure.
    they won't put it in bridge mode as they don't support 3rd party routers.. i am looking for a non double NAT solution

Just to clarify a few things:

1. The Firewall Security settings on the Actiontec router are NAT/Low/Medium/High. The least security is NAT, which means "NAT only, no ports blocked". Selecting one of the other 3 settings pops up a long list of internet protocols, some of which are checked as permitted, other unchecked to mean not permitted. The 3 options Low/Medium/High just offer 3 pre-set levels of increasing blocking in the list, but you can customize the list by checking/unchecking the individual protocols. Just use the default NAT unless you have some reason for blocking a specific protocol.

2. The reason why Telus doesn't want to allow customers to bridge the router section of the Actiontec and use it as a pure modem is because it is designed to support their Optik IPTV service as well as customer internet. The router provides dedicated bandwidth for the TV service, supports HPNA to connect to the TV box via coax, and uses IGMP to set up multicast to multiple TV boxes in the home. Technically the Optik IPTV service can work with other user-provided routers, but there may be TV issues that the user doesn't fully understand, and Telus doesn't want the support hassle of dealing with that.

3. I'm not sure why the Chromecast wouldn't work with the Actiontec (I suspect that Telus has enabled AP isolation with no option to turn it off), but there's nothing stopping you from attaching your own router to one of the LAN ports of the Actiontec and putting it in the DMZ of the Actiontec. Yes, there will be double-NAT, but the Chromecast isn't affected by that when you use it with your own router.
    2237 9525694

Chromecast wont connect to my telus router (Actiontec V1000H). I can't see any option to enable/disable AP Isolation. Is there any solution for this?

fixed:laugh:

How?
    So I can get through the setup phase up until the Chromecast tries to connect to my wifi network. I get a message saying it couldn't connect, and when I click the link in the message it brings me to a page that mentions AP filtering, UPNP enabling and .NET 3.5. I checked and UPNP is enabled, and I can't find an option for AP filtering (I have the Actiontech V1000h). I am using a Macbook pro.
    In some cases you have to go through a couple of times. I just reset my Chromecast to test a few things and had to go through the setup twice before it connected to my WiFi.
    Chromecast / Telus Actiontec V1000h

XDA won't allow me to post the site because I have only posted less than 10 messages :)
    Search for "Telus Internet Tips From The Darknet"
    Here's the instructions I followed: You must have this firmware "31.30L.57' for it to work. I read from Telus DSLreports that a new firmware is being pushed to the Actiontec so make sure you have the above firmware. The following instructions I copied from the site mentioned above.

1. unplug rj11 (telehpone) cable from router.
    2. log into the router and do a factory reset with admin account (not root, not yet)
    3. Do a hard reset of the modem (pen in reset button) until the power light turns red.
    4. unplug the power from the modem for 15 secs.
    5. log back into the modem with root account: username: root password: Thr33scr33n!
    6. go to "Advanced Setup" - > WAN IP Addressing -> select "RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging"
    7. Disable NAT
    8. Disable wireless
    9. Download config file
    10. Open thew file in notepad and change:
    FALSE

leave blank

leave blank
    leave blank

11. upload the file back to the router (the first time this failed, I tried again and it worked)
    12. Ping the router (192.168.1.254) until it comes back online.
    13. log back in with root and download the config file again and make sure the setting stuck
    14. ** Now Plug the RJ11/Telephone cable back in **
    15. Got to your telus tv and unplug the power and plug it back in.
    16. grab a beer.

I also have a e3200 running tomato using this setup. Good luck.

Now for the $10,000 Question.....

How did you get it to go into Bridge mode?