36 posts
Thanks Meter: 22

By poseidon5213, Member on 26th April 2012, 05:43 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
19th January 2018, 11:28 AM |#18981  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 1

More
So I've been interested in mobile security for quite some time now but have only focused on iOS. I've been wanting to get into android so I bought a at&t galaxy tab 4 (big mistake) only to find out its pretty much the worst device for what I'd like to do. I've been looking around on ebay for a "new" android device to buy and I'm not really sure which way to go. I like the Nexus line but most of them are too expensive for my budget at the moment. I did run across some decent price Nexus 5's as well as some LG G3/G4 that I thought about buying.

So my question is what $100 or less device would be the best to buy for my needs (root, custom recovery, ROMs, App pentesting, kernel vuln research, etc.) Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Please provide model numbers if possible as I've noticed the exact model and even carrier make all the difference when it comes to Android.
19th January 2018, 01:52 PM |#18982  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDizzie

T-Mobile supports frequencies 600/700/1700/2100/1900

They support bands
71/12/66/4/2

They use USPA (3G)/USPA+(4G)/UMTS(3G)/LTE and the 2G technologies of GSM/EDGE/GPRS

They use band 2 for all connections, 4 for 4G/LTE and 3G, and 66/12/71 for LTE. Also frequency 1700/2100/1900 are essentially all that’s needed to receive your service in most cases. 700 and 600 would be necessary for certain areas. Also bands 71 and 66 are not usually necessity either. Considering both S7’s support all of T-Mobile’s frequencies they should both work the same. All the other supported frequencies, etc. don’t even matter.

@CDizzie

Thank you very much, I feel a little better knowing there isn't a big difference. I appreciate the explanation and you taking the time to answere my question. Not sure how it works but I clicked the thanks meter or link thingy.
20th January 2018, 02:02 PM |#18983  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
is a nexus 6p still worth buying today? is it gud for roms and rooting? i all ready own a note 8 but dont want to root so looking for a phone to root thanks
20th January 2018, 03:50 PM |#18984  
Thanks Meter: 177

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibealite

is a nexus 6p still worth buying today? is it gud for roms and rooting? i all ready own a note 8 but dont want to root so looking for a phone to root thanks

I'm also wondering about 6p since its one of the only front speaker phones. I read about it for a bit and heard that its buggy and shuts off randomly for a lot of people. seems like a stock or battery problem. would flashing custom roms help fix that? I'll go ask in their main thread too
The Following User Says Thank You to anon1135 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift anon1135 Ad-Free
22nd January 2018, 03:10 PM |#18985  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4m3-

Hi, what should i get if camera is my main number one priority?
Im looking at Pixel 2, but its kinda expensive and im afraid to get since it has so many problems. Or are those only tied to XL?

Is Huawei P10 or HTC U11 worthy alternative in regards of camera and quality?

Hello, maybe I can give you some more ideas as I am looking to upgrade from my Note 3. After researching and comparing many phones, my choices have come down to Samsung Galaxy S7 SM-G930W8 vs Samsung Galaxy S7 SM-G930F 32GB vs IPHONE 7 PLUS 128gb vs OnePlus 5T 8GB 128GB. Now you mentioned the Pixel 2 which on Ebay all of these phones including Pixel 2 can be had for $600 or less. I am trying to weigh all of the pros and cons on each of these devices for myself. Everyday I watch videos and picture comparisons trying to get an overall view of them all. It is becoming a challenge for me at least as I plan to keep the phone for at least 2-3 more years before I consider upgrading as I use to try and upgrade every yr and half. Waste of hard earned money.
26th January 2018, 11:13 PM |#18986  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Have been running Pure Nexus on my 6p for 2 years now. I love the 6p but battery life and lag are pushing me to get a new one. So now I am torn between a one plus 5t and a pixel 2xl.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
26th January 2018, 11:29 PM |#18987  
Flag Kingston
Thanks Meter: 231

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince20d

Have been running Pure Nexus on my 6p for 2 years now. I love the 6p but battery life and lag are pushing me to get a new one. So now I am torn between a one plus 5t and a pixel 2xl.

Go for the one plus. More bang for your buck! Pixel2 is.dead.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kemdroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kemdroid Ad-Free
27th January 2018, 01:14 AM |#18988  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemdroid

Go for the one plus. More bang for your buck! Pixel2 is.dead.

That's what I've been leaning towards. I will definitely miss my front facing speakers and pure Nexus experience.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA-Developers Legacy app
The Following User Says Thank You to vince20d For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vince20d Ad-Free
27th January 2018, 01:19 AM |#18989  
Flag Kingston
Thanks Meter: 231

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince20d

That's what I've been leaning towards. I will definitely miss my front facing speakers and pure Nexus experience.

That's how it is sometimes mate. You win some you lose some. I sold my s5 and bought a Honor 5X and I don't regret it. The battery is amazing and I get to use two sims plus SD card at the same time!. I gave up the heart rate on the s5 and the 2.5 GHz processor for an 8 core 1.5ghz. But the Honor 5X performs flawlessly with custom ROMs that I use! (DOtOs)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180118-074758.png
Views:	122
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	4400952  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kemdroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kemdroid Ad-Free
28th January 2018, 11:13 AM |#18990  
Flag Karachi
Thanks Meter: 41

More
I have 2 options for a phone rn.
The G5 and the S6
and both cost the same here

The reason for my confusion is that:-
The G5 has been reported to have bootloop issues like its predecessor the G4
And that it's quad core as compared to the S6 that is octa core

Are there any other issues with either of these?
Issues related to software matter but not too much as I'm planning to install a custom rom on either anyways but do mention em please

what should I get then?

Thanks in advance
28th January 2018, 11:57 AM |#18991  
Flag Fort Wellington
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammad1029

I have 2 options for a phone rn.
The G5 and the S6
and both cost the same here

The reason for my confusion is that:-
The G5 has been reported to have bootloop issues like its predecessor the G4
And that it's quad core as compared to the S6 that is octa core

Are there any other issues with either of these?
Issues related to software matter but not too much as I'm planning to install a custom rom on either anyways but do mention em please

what should I get then?

Thanks in advance

Both are not good choices really. G5 has bootloop issues and Galaxy S6 has terrible battery life.

Sent from my Honor 6X using XDA Labs
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)