[FIX][AOSP][MIUI] All GPS fixes!

Search This thread

galandy

Mar 4, 2009
New York, NY
Lately I've been seeing so many different threads about fixing GPS issues in AOSP / CM7 gingerbread roms (accuracy, lock time, etc). I couldn't find a central location with all the available fixes and drivers for the Evo, so here it is.

Drivers:
  • **NEW** - Qualcomm Vision GPS Driver v1.1 (recommended) - Updated fix with latest Qualcomm Vision driver, should be less buggy. Fast gps locks, very accurate, no wake locks, no 100% cpu. Thread HERE. Flashable zip HERE (thanks galandy)
  • Qualcomm Vision GPS Driver v1.0 - Original fix, uses leaked Vision gingerbread driver. Fast gps locks, very accurate, no wake locks, no 100% cpu. Thread HERE. Flashable zip HERE (thanks galandy)
  • KingdomROM GPS Driver - Custom combination of RADIO/PRI/NV/Wimax/GPS - Fixes GPS and wake locks. Thread HERE. Flashable zip HERE (thanks JBabey)
  • Cyanogen Mod Nightly 39 GPS Driver - Some people claim these drivers work better than the current ones provided by CM7. Thread HERE. Flashable zip HERE (thanks daryelv)
  • EVO Gingerbread GPS Driver - Driver from the official gingerbread update. Some people are having success with these on AOSP roms (but check for cpu usage, you might have wakelocks). Thread HERE and HERE (thanks itlnstln and JusticeAA). Flashable zip HERE (thanks galandy).

Workarounds / Other fixes
  • GPSCLRX Sense Workaround - Clear GPS corrupted stats from a Sense rom. Thread HERE (thanks SantinoInc)
  • AGPS Data Refresh - Fixes dropouts by applying the latest AGPS information. Thread HERE (thanks DFlame)

Report back, and let me know of other available fixes I could add here!

Last edited:
S

sirmx

I can finally delete the bookmarks I had for those pages haha. I guess if I would have just saved the files to dropbox or something that would have been easier... but oh well.

Thanks for the central location.

issafram

Feb 4, 2009
Rochester Hills
Lately I've been seeing so many different threads about fixing GPS issues in AOSP / CM7 gingerbread roms (accuracy, lock time, etc). I couldn't find a central location with all the available fixes and drivers for the Evo, so here it is.

Drivers:
  • GPS Qualcomm Vision Driver - Fast locks, very accurate, no wake locks. Thread HERE (thanks galandy)
  • KingdomROM GPS Driver - Custom combination of RADIO/PRI/NV/Wimax/GPS - Fixes GPS and wake locks. Thread HERE (thanks JBabey)

• GPSCLRX Sense Workaround - Clear GPS corrupted stats from a Sense rom. Thread HERE (thanks SantinoInc)
  • AGPS Data Refresh - Fixes dropouts by applying the latest AGPS information. Thread HERE (thanks DFlame)

awesome how you thanked yourself. lol. but seriously, good stuff. im using the Vision driver on CM7, and its been more than great.

MizzouBrent

Feb 19, 2011
Olathe, KS
The KingdomROM GPS driver was giving me 100% CPU usage with CM7.0.3.1. Is that an isolated occurrence or does it only play nicely with certain ROMs? I switched to the Vision driver and all is well.

galandy

Mar 4, 2009
New York, NY
The KingdomROM GPS driver was giving me 100% CPU usage with CM7.0.3.1. Is that an isolated occurrence or does it only play nicely with certain ROMs? I switched to the Vision driver and all is well.

The KingdomROM driver may need a specific version of the PRI/RADIO to be able to work without causing a high cpu usage. The Vision driver doesn't seem to be affected by PRI/RADIO combinations.

androidarmin

Jun 18, 2010
Frankfurt Area
I don't believe this has been included in your original post, but this driver/fix worked well for me:

Original Post from MIUI Thread: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13284558&postcount=9138

Followup Thread Explaining How To Use the Driver: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1114944

Yep... this one cured my GPS issues, too.
My CM7 GPS is rock solid now!

EDIT: It was actually this link (and the .zip) that did the trick:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=14534313&postcount=2478

Last edited:
Reactions: datadogg

issafram

Feb 4, 2009
Rochester Hills
Why in ****s name has the CM team not merged the Vision driver into gerrit???

Does anybody know the reason? Please don't say because they haven't got to it yet.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

SantinoInc

Jun 19, 2010
NYC
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
GALANDY:

Many thanks for posting this up. The only complaint I have is that there are too many options to choose from. Isn't there one single best option out of the lot of them? Can we flash these one after the other to see what works best or will that f*ck things up?

Once again, thanks for posting all these fixes for the AOSP roms...this problem can be so annoying for those of us that use the navigation feature that we want to go back to Sense!

issafram

Feb 4, 2009
Rochester Hills
Because there is no source. No blobs yo.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

Are .so files that difficult to reverse engineer? I have reverse engineered .class files for Java and obviously .NET stuff is easy to do simply through .NET Reflector for stuff like this, but I have no clue what .so files are...like what programming language was used? What compiler, etc.

galandy

Mar 4, 2009
New York, NY
GALANDY:

Many thanks for posting this up. The only complaint I have is that there are too many options to choose from. Isn't there one single best option out of the lot of them? Can we flash these one after the other to see what works best or will that f*ck things up?

I would say go with the Qualcomm Vision driver if it works for you. That works perfectly for me. Yes, you can flash one driver after the other with no issues. And if ever want to revert to the standard driver provided by CM, just flash THIS and you will be back where you started.

likwid687

Sep 20, 2010
Provo
[*]EVO Gingerbread GPS Driver - Driver from the official gingerbread update. Some people are having success with these on AOSP roms (but check for cpu usage). Thread HERE and HERE (thanks itlnstln and JusticeAA)

Any chance we can get a flashable zip of this? Is that possible? I'm not programming savvy or I would try myself. I'm on CM7 nightlies and it's a pain to have to go through all those steps each time I flash a new nightly. Thanks!

galandy

Mar 4, 2009
New York, NY
Any chance we can get a flashable zip of this? Is that possible? I'm not programming savvy or I would try myself. I'm on CM7 nightlies and it's a pain to have to go through all those steps each time I flash a new nightly. Thanks!

Here you go. But just so you know, this driver seems to cause a high cpu usage / wake locks on non-Sense roms.

Attachments

• GPS_EVO_GB_Driver_Flash.zip
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,441
Reactions: likwid687

ViViDboarder

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 25, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Are .so files that difficult to reverse engineer? I have reverse engineered .class files for Java and obviously .NET stuff is easy to do simply through .NET Reflector for stuff like this, but I have no clue what .so files are...like what programming language was used? What compiler, etc.

I believe that all the android device layer stuff is all C. And I've never even tried to reverse it. But that's basically the CM driver then.

issafram

Feb 4, 2009
Rochester Hills
I believe that all the android device layer stuff is all C. And I've never even tried to reverse it. But that's basically the CM driver then.

no they are different because one works and one is buggy as hell (basically doesn't work). If we can reverse engineer the Vision driver, we can then merge "new" GPS code into Gerrit for the Supersonic.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Drivers:
    • **NEW** - Qualcomm Vision GPS Driver v1.1 (recommended) - Updated fix with latest Qualcomm Vision driver, should be less buggy. Fast gps locks, very accurate, no wake locks, no 100% cpu. Thread HERE. Flashable zip HERE (thanks galandy)
    • Qualcomm Vision GPS Driver v1.0 - Original fix, uses leaked Vision gingerbread driver. Fast gps locks, very accurate, no wake locks, no 100% cpu. Thread HERE. Flashable zip HERE (thanks galandy)
    • KingdomROM GPS Driver - Custom combination of RADIO/PRI/NV/Wimax/GPS - Fixes GPS and wake locks. Thread HERE. Flashable zip HERE (thanks JBabey)
    • Cyanogen Mod Nightly 39 GPS Driver - Some people claim these drivers work better than the current ones provided by CM7. Thread HERE. Flashable zip HERE (thanks daryelv)
    • EVO Gingerbread GPS Driver - Driver from the official gingerbread update. Some people are having success with these on AOSP roms (but check for cpu usage, you might have wakelocks). Thread HERE and HERE (thanks itlnstln and JusticeAA). Flashable zip HERE (thanks galandy).

New GPS drivers! v1.1

Here is an update to the Qualcomm Vision drivers. It's based on a newer revision of the drivers so they might perform better for some people. Working pretty well on my Evo. Any feedback?

The file is flashable from any recovery.

Oh yeah works great, but if you're on nightlies sucks to do every day. Lot of work to swap ROMs and double backups and such. Why I stick with the Qualcomm v1.1 driver from this page. Works great and takes seconds to do.

~Max
    This Message Sent From My CM7 HTC-Evo4G
    I don't believe this has been included in your original post, but this driver/fix worked well for me:

Original Post from MIUI Thread: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13284558&postcount=9138

Followup Thread Explaining How To Use the Driver: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1114944
    **NEW** - Qualcomm Vision GPS Driver v1.1 (recommended)

worked for me on Team D.I.R.T | CM9 Port - 1.6 POOF!