Ergonomics (in-hand feel)

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
Please, no "that's what she said" jokes. Rate this thread to express how you think the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge feels in-hand. A higher rating indicates that it's comfortable to hold for long periods of time, even in one hand. Resist the urge to say "TWSS" just now. Seriously.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

Kapitein187

Apr 15, 2013
Wish the back of the device was as round as the edges on the front. Similar to the normal S7. That's a joy to have in your hands.

marquinhodsdm

Aug 1, 2012
Boone
This phone just fits perfectly in your palm. The curved back makes a world of difference. However, it is slippery. I would love to keep this device naked, but it just doesn't seem like the best idea. Because of its glass back, it also is a fingerprint magnet.

Reactions: hsichian

rjayflo

Feb 15, 2011
Feels pretty good, but I feel the S7 is better. S7E is kinda difficult to hold comfortably cause you don't want to touch the edge screen. Only reason I'm sticking with the edge is the battery.

Sent from my SM-G935T using XDA Free mobile app

edditnyc

Jun 29, 2012
New York
www.eddit.net
Coming down from the Note 4 to the S7 Edge, the size here is a huge improvement in terms of ergonomics. You need giant hands to comfortably palm a Note. This feels just right. It rests on my palm and my fingers don't have to strain to secure the device. The glass does feel slippery but it's a beautiful piece of hardware. I was sure I wanted to go back to a regular 5.1" Galaxy S7 but the feel of this device won me over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: crubbish

moraal

Jan 15, 2007
Amsterdam
Ergonomics are bad. Its impossible to properly operate with one hand without touching the edge. Bad design; form over function. When holding it in landscape mode, your right thumb becomes useless because youll hit the multitask button with your palm before touching the left side of the screen.
Btw my hands are large, but skinny.

Last edited:

jas0n85

Mar 27, 2016
I'm not overly impressed on this front. I've had mine for a little over a week and I'm already getting used to it though, soon I'm sure I won't notice it at all. It is VERY slippery though.

Apr 7, 2016
Not a huge case guy

I don't like using cases and after trying out my girlfriends S7 Edge without a case for a couple hours its way to slippery compared to my Nexus 6P. Anybody use it without a case and have luck? I haven't dropped a phone in 2 years and feel I would with this phone lol.

Pyperkub

Oct 18, 2008
It's just a hair too wide. Had to return the first case I got as the covers for the buttons made it too wide, and go with the Samsung slim protective cover. Even still, it's just a fraction too wide for my hands, tho I'm getting a bit used to it - I'm still getting the wrong inputs sometimes trying to swype/type one-handed.

J.Biden

Apr 1, 2016
Most expensive-feeling smartphone I've ever held (incl. iPhones), and the ergonomics are pretty good, but it doesn't feel perfect. I guess it comes down to the size of your hands, but I have rather big palms, so it could've been a little more rounded on the back. Still, it feels comfortable to hold it, and I don't really have any complaints.

stoicism

Aug 22, 2010
Edmonton
I love the on-hand feel. I have smallish to medium hands...and could quite easily use it one handed...BUT the edge palm rejection just isn't sufficient. I and forever making accidental touches. It almost seems like those light edge touches confuse the phone...and random links/apps get selected in the general area.

Coming from a 6P, this is far easier to use...but contemplating the s7 rather than the edge.

Sent from my SM-G935F using XDA-Developers mobile app

2dorr

Jan 15, 2007
Bucharest
I always use cases on my phones and on 6p, the Spigen Neo Hybrid made the phone huge, on S7 Edge it's perfect. When I had my LG G3, I felt that a 5.5 inch screen it's the best and I feel that again. Even S6 Edge+ seemed a little too big. And the edges help the phone to appear slimmer in hand.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Monkey Slut

Feb 19, 2012
Cracow
Naked s7 edge feels good in hand. But in led case_ awful. That's why I took it out from it. I enjoy phone more this way.

Duncan1982

Feb 6, 2014
Now the Edge has curves in all the right places lol great in hand feel (Would of liked more pronounced curves) but it's by far better than the S6 Edge....overall I'm not Complaining :)

ATalkingRock

Jul 28, 2014
Naked s7 edge feels good in hand. But in led case_ awful. That's why I took it out from it. I enjoy phone more this way.
Since the screen is so big and tall, hows the one handed used? (Not the software one handed mode). I rarely used the one handed software on my note 3 because it just felt weird. But I'm curious how easy it is to handle the phone in one handed. Personally I would have preferred this phone to have like a 5.2inch screen but that's just me.

Monkey Slut

Feb 19, 2012
Cracow
Well, I personally can't operate the phone with one hand. It's too big for me. Its a little bit problematic, but the screen and phone overall is worth it.

Reactions: MoshuXXL

dan409

Oct 29, 2010
Evans
Had to get a case for it. Picking it up from a flat surface without a case is not very comfortable, its just to slippery and I know it wouldn't be long before the dreaded drop to the floor.
There isn't enough to hold on to when lifting it off of a flat surface, which for me makes it a lot more difficult than picking up pretty much any flat screen phone.

Took a bit getting use to the edge screen without getting false touches from hitting the edge of the screen, but the case pretty much solved that also.

So over all I'd say in hand feel without a case is poor enough that I would of passed on this phone, but with a case, almost as good as any of my previous flat screen phones.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ergonomics are bad. Its impossible to properly operate with one hand without touching the edge. Bad design; form over function. When holding it in landscape mode, your right thumb becomes useless because youll hit the multitask button with your palm before touching the left side of the screen.
    Btw my hands are large, but skinny.
    Only 3 stars from me for the way it stays in hand. Curved edges both sides make the phones edges sharp hence difficult to get a proper grip. Also double sided glass makes it slippery.
    Have to say I agree with dandv and perpatoura. I bought the Edge because I figured more expensive has to be better right? Wrong. It was an interesting gimmick for a couple weeks but I'm so over it 5 months in. Ultimately I just don't think the functionality of any phone could justify needing the 'edge'. So no, the ergonomics are not good!
    This phone just fits perfectly in your palm. The curved back makes a world of difference. However, it is slippery. I would love to keep this device naked, but it just doesn't seem like the best idea. Because of its glass back, it also is a fingerprint magnet.
    Bought the phone on black Friday.
    I had to choose between this one and Xz1 compact. Unfortunately after reading so bad reviews on xz1 I decided to go with this 1 but it would have been so nicer ergonomics in the other 1.
    I'm still afraid the day from when I'll drop it on concret.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk