[APP] HelixLauncher2 0.7 + System App Mod [18/05/10]

Search This thread

ruqqq

Oct 12, 2008
Firstly, I would like to thank Wysie for his help in guiding me to compile. Thanks, bro!

Modified Launcher2 features:
  • Based on Launcher2 from Cyan's git
  • iPhone/Hero-like Scrolling
  • Fully fixed auto rotation
  • App Menu Button Long Press -> Quick Switcher
  • Up to 7 screens! NEW!
  • Long-press at desktop as an option
  • Drag & Drop bottom shortcuts NEW!
  • Commented Code (where I remembered I changed)

Screenshots by chronzz:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Download from Repo: http://helixproject.ruqqq.sg/

SourceCode: GitHub

Install Instructions:
INSTALL FROM MARKET! HelixLauncher 2
OR
adb shell rm -r /data/data/com.android.launcher2
adb pull /system/app/Launcher2.apk ./Launcher2.apkBAK
adb push Launcher2.apk /system/app/Launcher2.apk

Credits:
Wysie, irrenhaus & rogro82 (adv. launcher), enomther, wesgarner and other contributors if I accidentally left any out

Donators/Testers:
chronzz, dhendrix11, daveid, DA6, notxel21, Gr8gorilla, Worsty, Manup456 and many others!

Your comments are VERY MUCH appreciated. Enjoy!

Last edited:

ruqqq

Oct 12, 2008
ChangeLogs

NEW CHANGELOGS AT REPO

0.7BETA1 Donators' only FOR NOW:
  • Implemented option to set Default Screen* on update, you might need to set back your default screen
  • Fixed MORE people's stupidity: Implemented reasonable auto delete/move items on workspace on resize
  • *Probably* fixed FCs problem: Increased launcher heapsize hence more memory used
  • Fixed QuickShortcuts icon positions when landscape - No longer swap position
  • Options to hide desktop icon labels
  • Fast Apps Menu readded - Broke compatibility with Android < CyanogenMod drop

0.6 ON MARKET:
  • Support for stock N1s or Android 2.1 devices
  • Using a backward code which might slow down the apps menu

0.6BETA2 donator's only:
  • Removed unused preferences from BETA1
  • Implemented long hover of app on DeleteZone as a gesture for uninstall

0.6BETA1 donator's only:
  • Implemented option for EITHER dots OR QuickShortcuts
  • When using dots, QuickJump does work
  • Implemented use of custom icon for QuickShortcuts: icons are stored in /data/data/{APP_NAMESPACE_HERE}/icons/ eg. /data/data/com.helixproject.launcher2/icons/
  • Minor bugfix

0.5:
  • Added bottom bar Shortcuts
  • Added drag and drop capability for the shortcuts
  • Fixed wallpaper blank
  • Bug fixes - lots of them

0.4 - not released:
  • Added ability to change screen size
  • Added Restart option in prefs
  • Added auto-rotate option in prefs
  • Some behavioral changes (can't remember)

06-03-10:
  • v0.3
  • Added velocity scrolling - NOW IT'S MORE SENSE-UI FEEL ;)
  • Enomther's Patch for Screen Freeze issue - Hope it works!
  • Wesgarner Patch for Auto-Orientation based on phone setting
  • New Preference Menu

Last edited:

z3ntn3l

Oct 3, 2008
downloading right now, then testing, will post results.

Many thanks for this i always wanted 7 Screens. :)

edit: working. 7 Screens! :)
So what did you mean with "'Prettier' Animations & more 'Friendly' feeling"? I cant see a difference.
For me, its just like the Stock-Launcher but with 7 Screens and that is everything i want ;)

Again, many thanks for this!

edit2: not sure, but i think i just saw the prettier animation. the little slide while changing the screens?
Its a nice addition!

Last edited:

ruqqq

Oct 12, 2008
I find the changing of screens by dragging a little harsh hence I modified it. If you used iPhone/iTouch you know what I mean by harsh. ;)

Glad you like it!

ruqqq

Oct 12, 2008
@DocRambone
Slow? The menu runs fine for me. But well, if I say yes, what would you wanna change the menu into? :D

@shintu
Yes. Needs root.

daveid

Jan 5, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
The perfect Launcher to me would have:

1. Auto-rotate - entering text into the search box would be much easier in landscape.
2. 7 screens - you got it!
3. Things that are disabled to become an option for the user, ie. long press to add to desktop. I only say this because I like to long press (as opposed to menu-add) so that I dictate where the item is added. Otherwise, you have to add it and then drag it to the desired location.

I believe you are on the right path here. I for one like the new app-tray vs. the old one (coming from a G1), so I say keep that.

ruqqq

Oct 12, 2008
I don't remember the name of the font. But, its from a theme called elegance. See Android theme forum. ;)

I too like the new app launcher. Though it isn't flexible like the old launcher. Yes, I have landscape on my new build. Everything works except the app menu. Well, it does work, just glitchy. Can live with it though. I now have a 360 launcher! :p

Wysie

Jul 4, 2009
I wanted to mod Launcher2 during my coming holidays, but since you're already at it, may I suggest the following:

1. Make the number of screens customizable. I still prefer 5 personally.
2. Make long-pressing on the Drawer/"Menu" (the thing you press to start the launcher) activate the overview of all the screens as well.
3. Remove the dots indicators at the size, and replace them with icons to launch apps. The best will be to make it user configurable. That is, I can choose Browser for left icon and say, Twidroid for right icon. (I know there is a mod that does this already but it's fixed to the 2 apps that can be launched)
4. Fix the FCs :(. It still FCs quite consistently if you have a lot of large widgets (4x3 or 4x4).

Also, I believe app menu is glitchy due to lack of drawables (or maybe the 9-patches are done properly?). Should be able to fix it easily ;).

I know it's a long list, but you're asking for comments :p! Keep up the good work!

ruqqq

Oct 12, 2008
1. I'm still wondering how to dynamically change the screens. I'm not used to storing preferences in Android either.
2. Yeah, I was thinking of the same thing too!
3. Hmm.. I was thinking the same for this too.. but.. putting the app icon itself will not match the launcher theme somewhat.. I mean.. it'll look ugly.. ideas?
4. This.. I haven't experienced yet. Hmm.
5. The app drawer glitch isn't because of the drawable. It's utilizing a surface.. perhaps a GL surface. That's why it isn't flexible. Kinda sucks.

As for the wallpapers, I'll delete and leave only one so that the filesize is lower. ;)

jz9833

Feb 1, 2007
Houston
Great job!

I really wanted 7 home screens. I love to keep some blank to enjoy a live wallpaper.

But like all great things there must be a critic. Is there anyway to add 360 auto rotation? I love this feature.

ruqqq

Oct 12, 2008
Looking at Apps Grid for landscape now. I think I can make it work. ^_^