Win Honor 9 Lite

[MOD][VRBLK3] PDroid Privacy Protection - keep apps from stealing your data

651 posts
Thanks Meter: 428

By Noxious Ninja, Senior Member on 12th December 2012, 02:58 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by svyat

PDroid allows blocking access for any installed application to the following data separately:
  • Device ID (IMEI/MEID/ESN)
  • Subscriber ID (IMSI)
  • SIM serial (ICCID)
  • Phone and mailbox number
  • Incoming call number
  • Outgoing call number
  • GPS location
  • Network location
  • List of accounts (including your google e-mail address)
  • Account auth tokens
  • Contacts
  • Call logs
  • Calendar
  • SMS
  • MMS
  • Browser bookmarks and history
  • System logs
  • SIM info (operator, country)
  • Network info (operator, country)
For device ID, phone and mailbox number, SIM serial, subscriber ID and device location it also allows supplying custom or random values.

Why you would want to use it:
  • Applicaitons do NOT crash when access to private data is blocked (unlike with Permissions Denied or CM)
  • Fine-grained tuning of access to private data
  • No background service needed
  • Very small memory footprint (~700KB)
  • No impact on battery life
  • No impact on performance (5ms overhead on access to private data; yes, that's 0.005s)
  • 100% reliable unlike ROOT applications (LBE), which need to start their background service on boot (see android underground to learn why this is an issue)
  • No ROOT required for the app to run
  • No Android permissions required for the app to run
  • Open-source

---

As far as I can tell, this mod is stable. I've been running it for the past week and a half on stock deodexed VRBLK3 no issues. However, as with any system mod, use it at your own risk.

This is a port of PDroid to the Verizon Galaxy S3/TouchWiz. It is based on stock deodexed VRBLK3 and gsbabil's Jelly Bean version of PDroid.

Important notes:
  • This will overwrite any other mods to framework.jar, services.jar, or core.jar.
  • If you flash Kinda Crap Mods after flashing this, it might work. Or it might blow up in your face. I don't know.
  • Don't try this on an ICS ROM, or an earlier Jelly Bean leak. It might work on other deodexed VRBLK3-based ROMs.
  • I've tested with ClockworkMod. I imagine it will work with TWRP, but I haven't actually tried.
  • If you find anything which is crashing after installing this mod, let me know here.

---

I've attached two recovery-flashable zips:
  • pdroid-1.32-VRBLK3.zip is the mod. It will overwrite framework.jar, services.jar, and core.jar with the patched versions.
  • pdroid-VRBLK3-undo.zip will restore the stock deodexed VRBLK3 framework.jar/services.jar/core.jar

Installation instructions:
  • Make a nandroid backup!!!
  • Install the modded PDroid app attached to this post (com.privacy.pdroid-1.32-fixed.apk - the -fixed version is the correct one)
  • Reboot into recovery
  • Flash pdroid-1.32-VRBLK3.zip
  • Wipe cache
  • Reboot
  • Open the PDroid app and configure things

Removal instructions:
  • Restore your nandroid backup
OR
  • Reboot into recovery
  • Flash pdroid-VRBLK3-undo.zip to go back to stock deodexed VRBLK3 versions of the modified JARs
  • Wipe cache
  • Reboot
  • Remove the PDroid app
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Noxious Ninja For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Noxious Ninja Ad-Free

12th December 2012, 03:00 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dallas, TX

More
Known Issues:
  • PDroid app may crash while scanning apps, and not all your apps will be added to the list. I'm not sure why this is happening yet. Unfortunately, the PDroid app apk is obfuscated, making it hard to debug.
    Code:
    E/AndroidRuntime( 9966): FATAL EXCEPTION: Thread-2350
    E/AndroidRuntime( 9966): java.lang.ClassCastException: android.graphics.drawable.ColorDrawable cannot be cast to android.graphics.drawable.BitmapDrawable
    E/AndroidRuntime( 9966):        at com.privacy.pdroid.i.a(Unknown Source)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 9966):        at com.privacy.pdroid.d.run(Unknown Source)

Fixed APK is in attached in the first post.

Future plans:
  • Fix any issues that may arise
  • Get added to Kinda Crap Mods and/or Auto-Patcher once things are stable
  • See if it's possible to port PDroid 2.0. That mostly likely won't happen until after my Christmas vacation, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Noxious Ninja For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Noxious Ninja Ad-Free
12th December 2012, 07:29 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Thanks for your work. I hate how apps try to intrude on my personal data.
12th December 2012, 08:08 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 501

More
For anyone else that didn't know what PDroid was:

Quote:

PDroid allows control over access for any installed application to your private data. This includes:

Device ID (IMEI/MEID/ESN)
Subscriber ID (IMSI)
SIM Serial (ICCID)
Phone and mailbox number
Incoming call number
Outgoing call number
GPS location
Network location
List of accounts
Account auth tokens
Contacts
Call logs
Calendar
SMS
MMS
Browser bookmarks and history
System logs
SIM info (operator, country)
Network info (operator, country)

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...cy-protection/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bobloblaw1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bobloblaw1 Ad-Free
14th December 2012, 05:36 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 470

More
App said for ICS only. Market blocks download

Via my Google Galaxy S3 running magic beans
14th December 2012, 05:44 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dallas, TX

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by neh4pres

App said for ICS only. Market blocks download

I... have no idea how I actually got it installed. Did you try going through the play site instead of the app?

I guess I'll have to upload the app here or add it to the flashable package.

Sent from my Verizon GSIII using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Noxious Ninja For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Noxious Ninja Ad-Free
14th December 2012, 09:36 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxious Ninja

I... have no idea how I actually got it installed. Did you try going through the play site instead of the app?

I guess I'll have to upload the app here or add it to the flashable package.

Sent from my Verizon GSIII using Tapatalk 2

In your initial post there was a link to the PDroids original author, if you click on that and scroll down to FAQ's there's a link to dropbox with the apk... is this the one we should use?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1elu8ekqh...id_release.apk
14th December 2012, 09:37 PM |#8  
Indiana
Thanks Meter: 307

More
I loved PDroid on my droid x, it was a pain to get setup at first bur then I was able to patch my own roms. Thanks for this.
15th December 2012, 03:32 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dallas, TX

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyndMayze

In your initial post there was a link to the PDroids original author, if you click on that and scroll down to FAQ's there's a link to dropbox with the apk... is this the one we should use?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1elu8ekqh...id_release.apk

That should work. I also took the APK from my phone and attached it to the first post.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noxious Ninja For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Noxious Ninja Ad-Free
18th December 2012, 02:04 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
How does this compare to lbe security?
18th December 2012, 02:57 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dallas, TX

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephymobile

How does this compare to lbe security?

I haven't used LBE in quite some time (on my Evo 4G), so it may be better now. However, last time I used it, it took almost 200 MB of RAM and slowed my phone down a small but noticeable amount. Additionally, it's closed-source and published by a Chinese company, which some people feel uncomfortable about.

PDroid is open-source (the core, not the control panel app). It's integrated directly into the system framework, so it's more robust and a lot lighter-weight. I'm not sure how functionality compares.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)