Dell Streak 7 Host OTG Adapter for usb devices: Game pad, usb drive, mouse,keyboard

Search This thread

zenisnotchosen

Jul 19, 2008
Dayton, OH
Yes, use a Y cable with one end plugged into USB AC adapter. The Manni said he has been successful using the dock that way but I have not. I can only use the standard OTG adapter. Stock ROMs DO support OTG, the dock just doesn't in my experience. I'm using OTG currently on stock Dell ROM.

Sent from my Streak 7 using witchcraft

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Also when using the OTG adapter you HAVE to turn off the Streak, plug in the OTG adapter, then turn the Streak back on with it plugged in to enable OTG function. I also use two apps that are helpful with checking that USB is functioning and for auto-mounting flash drives. They are USB Host Controller and USB Mass Storage Watcher, respectively. You can find them in the Play Store.

Reactions: kwadhwa

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can buy a Dell streak 7 usb otg host cable (100% working): -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221061467218

there are other sellers listing the same items, and you can check it on ebay, I live in canada and ordered from china. It took around 15 days to deliver.

I recommend buy a usb female to dual (2) male usb Y cable: -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-A-F..._USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item27ba21e9e4

steps to follow:

1. Root your dell streak and install USB OTG Helper.apk from android play store.
    2. Switchoff dell streak 7,
    3. Connect dell usb host cable (pdmi to usb otg adapter) to male connector of usb Y cable, and then connect usb device to female connector of usb Y cable.
    4. Switch on dell streak 7.
    5. After, Dell streak lock screen, connect another male connector of usb Y cable to power source (Dell Ac adapter).
    6. go to usb otg helper and click on mount, it can may start adobe reader, don't worry.
    7. go to es file explorer, and your drive is usb_drive_1.

Thanks & Regards,
    Sahota
    No, the dock does not work for OTG purposes. The dock is wired the same as the USB data cable, which is different from an OTG adapter. That's why you can't use the USB data cable with just a USB gender changer for OTG purposes. The only way to use USB devices with the Streak 7 is with an OTG adapter and a USB Y cable with two male USB and one female USB ends and plugging one male end into the OTG adapter and one male end into a USB AC adapter to supply power for the USB device as the Streak 7 does not supply power over USB. You also need to power off the Streak 7 and then plug in the OTG adapter and power it back up then plug in the USB Y Cable, USB AC adapter, and USB device. There are two useful apps on Google Play for setting up and using USB devices with your Streak, or any Android device. One is USB Host Controller to monitor when the device is plugged in and working, and the other is USB Mass Storage Watcher which allows you to set an option for auto-mounting USB flash drives when plugged in.

Unfortunately no, it only powers the device. The OTG adapter prevents it from charging.

I'm not 100% so I could be wrong, but I don't think it's possible. By the way the OTG adapter seems to work you have the choice of USB functions or charging. you have to power off the device and plug in the OTG adapter then power it back on to get it to work, and once you unplug it and plug the data/charge cable back in it turns off OTG functions and you have to reboot again. I know the data/charge adapters and the OTG adapters are wired differently (that's how the OTG adapter enables USB function on boot if plugged in) so you could try taking apart both adapters and combining the pin connections of the two. I'm almost positive this won't work though. Plus if it did I'd imagine we'd already see them available just like the OTG adapter.

Whoops! my memory was playing tricks with me, it only has one port.

But we have the same dock, that's the 2nd gen dell dock.

As I said though, you can do otg though that dock as long as
    1. you have a rom that supports otg (stock roms do not)
    2. you have a powered usb hub (as the S7 does not supply power)
    3. an approporate cable

The 2nd gen dock (and I believe the 1st gen also) has a micro usb-AB port, and not the standard micro-usb B port.
    It's one of the few devices fully in-spec for usb-otg. (nearly all devices are out of spec in that they use have a micro-uub A female port and yet support otg, otg devices were always supposed to use micro-usb AB female ports, but micro-usb A is depreciated now)

You're 'supposed' to use one of these:
    Mini_usb_AB.jpg

To properly use otg, but you can functionally get away with using a Mini-A male <-> Standard-A female.

This is what I used and I can confirm it works as long as you meet all 3 requirements up above.
    2pcs-USB2-0-OTG-cable-MINI-A-to-USB-for-Sony-2010-Handycam.jpg

I'm not sure how important it us to use a Mini-A male <-> standard-a female instead of the more common mini-B male <-> standard-a female.

If you dont supply your own power, the S7 will simply not detect anything at all.
    Even with a powered hub it took a lot of fiddling with it to get it to initialize the hub (hub turns on if it detects a host, and it took much time to get it to power up).

I can only confirm that a keyboard and mouse work though, none of the roms are set up to accept drives (mostly config issue, not inherently unable to).

Edit: I had already dicussed this in a previous thread, repost:
    The 2nd gen dock has a mini-AB port.
    Mini_usb_AB.jpg

Left is a mini-A connector, right is a mini-B. Thusly the 2nd gen dock can accept either and you can use either host mode or slave mode.
    I assume host and slave both use the same pins on the dell 30 pin port, if that is the case then I guess you cant use it as both a host and slave at the same time.

The original standard used mini A/B ports and connectors. The current standard is to use their eqivilent micro A/B ports and connectors. This is the proper way to do USB-OTG support.

Off topic: micro usb OTG cables are technically out of spec (if I am understanding it correctly).
    The host device should have a micro-AB port if it supports hosting and the cable should be micro-B <-> micro-A.

The point of A ports and connectors is to physically indicate the device is capable of OTG support on that port. Otherwise you would have to randomly guess and plug things in to see if it'll work or not (at the hardware level, we'll completely ignore software support for now)

41WJpKJ2ArL._SS400_.jpg
    $%28KGrHqN,!psE-zq59hc0BP%29%29uZenQQ~~60_3.JPG

The above two cables are techincally out of spec, though the USB-IF isnt going to raid their factories and stop them or anything.

!B2meQQwEGk~$%28KGrHqF,!i8E%29sJqKiN-BMjN4C2nCw~~_12.JPG

Is the proper way with usb-mini, I cant even find the equivilent usb-micro cable though. Admittedly it's rather useless though, as things such as usb keyboards and flash drives are perfectly compatable, but never have a port.

I use a mini-A male <-> usb-A female cable, which is a close compromise.