Linux and Android for Vogue [kernel thread]

Search This thread

mrhocuspocus

Nov 11, 2007
I don't _exactly_ know that it didn't cause the problems that you mentioned. I just don't imagine that it did. I'm sorry for not making that clear. I don't think that it is very likely, although it could have happened at the same time, that running Android or haret.exe has done anything to your phone. Haret just boots android, and android can't even see the filesystem that windows is stored on. Haret.exe does not require installation or make registry changes, so I don't think it is the culprit.

The first post in this thread says everything only runs in memory so i would assume it would cause no problems either. However i am 96.7% sure this problem has rooted from running this app. Maybe its bc im using a generic rom, but i have had no problems with my phone and havent installed anything new in months and as soon as i soft reset from android no programs i installed will work. I cant even install any apps now. Only the ones that are packaged with the rom will run. :confused: It says something about it not being signed. It seems like my phone is locked down now and needs the permissions restored, but my knowledge of ppc's is still in its infancy. Someone please help me, or ill have to hard reset later tonight. :cool:

Also did you end up moving the files to the root folder and it worked?

knownboyofno

Mar 23, 2008
The first post in this thread says everything only runs in memory so i would assume it would cause no problems either. However i am 96.7% sure this problem has rooted from running this app. Maybe its bc im using a generic rom, but i have had no problems with my phone and havent installed anything new in months and as soon as i soft reset from android no programs i installed will work. I cant even install any apps now. Only the ones that are packaged with the rom will run. :confused: It says something about it not being signed. It seems like my phone is locked down now and needs the permissions restored, but my knowledge of ppc's is still in its infancy. Someone please help me, or ill have to hard reset later tonight. :cool:

I agree with the others but you would get better help at ppcgeeks.com on the vogue upgrade forums.

bombzhome

Jan 12, 2007
Does anyone know how to map the buttons to the mogul? I know you mount the image and edit the file, but how are you supposed to know which button is which.

herriojr

Aug 1, 2008
Installation Issues

Hi,

I've been trying to install android on the Vogue using the packages at http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/android.zip, and I'm having issues with it starting.

I get the following error:

Code:
mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 on /sdcard failed: Invalid argument
Failed
Failed to Mount SD Card
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
#

I noticed that my microsd card was vfat, so I tried modifying initrd to try and mount it as vfat, I also listed the sdcard information:

Code:
Sleeping 5 seconds to let SD initialize...
partition table is:

Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 1015 MB, 1015808000 bytes
1 heads, 61 sectors/track, 32524 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 61 * 512 = 31232 bytes

Device Boot                Start       End          Blocks
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1       2           32524        991951
+    b Win95 FAT32
[    2.083953] FAT: IO charset iso8859-1 not found
Failed
Failed to Mount SD Card vfat
#

Has anyone else run into these issues or know what I need to change to get it to work?

Thanks in advance!

herriojr

Aug 1, 2008
So, I just installed 0.9 and that works fine (except for data connection), so I guess just ignore my m5 question.

herriojr

Aug 1, 2008
Does anyone know if there are any values I need for ppp.username and ppp.password for CDMA networks? I'm using Verizon Wireless, and I can't find any posted. I'm assuming this is the reason I can't browse the internet, however, I am able to make calls.

Also, here are some bugs I found. Sorry if they have already been listed.

1) Keys are mapped wrong.
2) Android phone does not transmit sound to the receiving phone.
3) When call ends, android in black screen and cannot exit it.
4) If android sits there for too long, it gets stuck in a black screen (may be related to 3)
5) Data connection does not seem to exist, cannot browse the web on CDMA phone (do I need a ppp.username and ppp.password for Verizon wireless?)

unsungboxer

May 28, 2008
all known issues.

data has only ever worked if you had a live connection running in windows before you boot. ppp has never made a diff for me.

however just so ya know; ppp username is 'xxxxxxxxxx@vzw3g.com', pw is 'vzw'... change x's to you ten digit number.

mrhocuspocus

Nov 11, 2007
well i got my phone fixed without a hard reset... whew! well it might not be fixed but maybe a workaround. Somehow the security registry key for allowing unsigned apps to run, got set to a 0... or it was already like that, and this is a work around. either way, changing the value fixed things for now..

i have successfully been trying out android, and people only decide to call me when im doing something on my phone where an incoming call will cause me to have to reset my phone to get data connection back. I also got to see the blue gps dot in google maps traveling down a cali highway. I wonder if thats just what it does by default, instead of just sitting in the middle of the ocean... like on the previous google maps, until it gets a lock, or if it is really someone that we are all watching? I dont think theres any need to mention any bugs or unfinished drivers as everything i noticed is pretty obvious after using android for about an hour.

I must say overall this is totally awesome. You have done a great job rewriting the drivers to work with the vogue! keep up the good work sir. I hope one day android will be fully functional on the touch!

Last edited:

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
man and i still cant even play with this cuz of my stupid Sandisk Micro SDHC 6gb card!! UGH.

DZO: are the supposed lack of drivers for the qualcomm chipset still affecting android then? or since you had to port it to our device and tweak drivers for android is it different?

dton13

Aug 10, 2008
Hi,

I've been trying to install android on the Vogue using the packages at http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/android.zip, and I'm having issues with it starting.

I get the following error:

Code:
Failed
Failed to Mount SD Card
#

I noticed that my microsd card was vfat, so I tried modifying initrd to try and mount it as vfat, I also listed the sdcard information:

Code:
Sleeping 5 seconds to let SD initialize...
partition table is:

Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 1015 MB, 1015808000 bytes
1 heads, 61 sectors/track, 32524 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 61 * 512 = 31232 bytes

Device Boot                Start       End          Blocks
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1       2           32524        991951
+    b Win95 FAT32
[    2.083953] FAT: IO charset iso8859-1 not found
Failed
Failed to Mount SD Card vfat
#

Has anyone else run into these issues or know what I need to change to get it to work?

Thanks in advance!

Im getting this too. It was working fine for the last version but now its messed up and can't boot

dally28

Jan 14, 2007
I too am getting the same problem on my Vogue. I am running the latest official wm6.1 for my Vogue. :(

unsungboxer

May 28, 2008
I too am getting the same problem on my Vogue. I am running the latest official wm6.1 for my Vogue. :(

I can confirm this, I have tried the latest version many times. Each time it will boot up from the gz files. After they are extracted to system.img and data.img it will fail to boot.

I have narrowed it down to the system.img by using my old system.img. It will now boot. I think something is wrong w/ the new system.img causing the boot to fail.

It pauses on '"job control turned off"

-Jake

unsungboxer

May 28, 2008
tried moving those files to a sub folder with mixed results. seems very unstable.... boots maybe 1/4 attempts.

uiucryan

May 23, 2008
phone loads fine for me right now, using the zip archive on the main site (New SDK Version (0.9)).

I updated a couple of page on androidgeeks.net wiki....
-updated info on handling CPIOBalls - now accounts for gzipped and ungzipped archives
-updated info for HTCVogue port for new release - 'New SDK Version (0.9)'
-updated HTCTitan page, removing all info and pointed to HTCVogue until someone would be willing to maintain the page.

Please let me know if you see any wrong or out-of-date information or feel free to fix / add yourself - it is a wiki after all.

I am willing to write-up some FAQ's and some tutorials if you have a topic in mind and the information is available. Please let me know what you would like to see - private message or email is best as I don't wade through this thread as much as I used to (its too long).

ngavarta

Jul 9, 2008
Shanghai, China
I take an another Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9U-zF_6sm8

--

On Screenshot you see anything, just a red dot :S

Hi c4software,

I saw your post in YouTube, I can see you managed to load in Android with you Wizard so long ago.

I follow the thread "Android/Vogue" in this forum, I'm able to proceed until I see the "red cyclon eye" ... and that was like forever.

I'm using a HTC Touch Elfin (P3452) to do this.
using following conf:
- haret = "_haret-0.5.1.exe" (from zip file found in the above thread)
- kernel = "Image" (extract from MMC-android.gz found in linwizard project site)
- initrd = "intrd-android"
- startup.txt
===============
#set MTYPE 6666
set MTYPE 1229
#--- standard LinWizard Kernel ---
#set KERNEL "Image"
#--- modified LinWizard Kernel for Android ---
set KERNEL "zImage"
#set INITRD "initrd-debugfs"
set initrd "initrd-android"
set CMDLINE "root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=20504 init=/linuxrc"
#set CMDLINE "root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=10.100.0.2:/nfsroot,nolock ip=10.100.0.1:10.100.0.2:10.100.0.2:255.255.255.0: 10.100.0.1:usb0"
bootlinux
===============//

Would you mind to share your configuration that at least get you in android home screen.

following was my post in YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AWoxgzK3a8

Thanks & Regards,
Forward Message

Last edited:

wojteko

Feb 27, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm having some problems as well.
I've extracted the .gz files to /storage card/ and the rest to /storage card/android/

Upon running the first time I'm getting a bunch of errors in between the two extractions:

mmc0: Data Timeout
DMA channel flushed
short transfer
error -110 sending read/write command

[some random number] end_request: I/O error dev mmcblk0

then it stops doing anything, the gui does not load and I have to reboot.

Upon rebooting the 2 .gz files are changed to 64mb .img files and when trying to run again it loads up fine with no errors, detects the local loopack interface and then gives a untracked pid 415 exited error

And nothing.

ls confirms filesystem was loaded and top shows a bunch or running processed but the gui never shows up.

What can I try to manually make the interface load up? Where's the executable?

The above was on a 4Gb SDHC card.
Tried on my old 512 SD card and got an error right at the start that it failed to mount the sd card.

unsungboxer

May 28, 2008
Wow, this thread has gone very silent while we eagerly await Martin's latest release ;) lol, thanks again for the hard work Martin!

On a side note, here is something I have been thinking about. A number of our Vogues are CDMA EVDO Rev 0, but some lucky few of us use networks that are Rev A capable, which shows considerable download and upload speed increases. In the USA for example; both Sprint and Alltel have released Rev A reflashes, and hopefully VZW will have one soon. The key here is that most of our vogues are "Rev A Capable" which means the hardware is there, but the current software isn't taking advantage of it. This leads me to 2 questions:

1. Currently, are those of you who have Rev A firmware upgrades experiencing faster upload/download speeds when running Android via haret?

2. Does/will Android utilize the Rev-A capabilities of our phones natively?

Perhaps Martin can chime in here, but may someone else knows?
-Jake

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok so my stability argument was based on desktop distro's. I'm sure i'm in over my head but i would just like to have linux running on my phone...so i can boot right to it no windows at all....
    It's great you guys are adventurous enough to do this. And I have nothing against pioneering but you people are getting so excited over a basic shell if that. Thanks but I prefer my phone to be usable with hundreds of thousands of applications to choose from... Can you whip up that many apps real quick like? For some reason people think there are a zillion people waiting to program for Android and not for Windows Mobile... That's not the case. It will take YEARS before Android is competitive if at all. And most of the apps are going to look all homebrew and rudamentary. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    just tried it, the calendar comes up now but when I go to my calendars I get an error saying "Sorry the process com.android.calendar has stopped unexpectedly"
    Thi swill probably sound really stupid but I am enw to the boards, is there anyway of putting Android on a LG Voyager? I love androids interface and would love to not have to switch plans to get it (plus I can't waitlol)
    I've fixed wifi on the 2.6.32 kernel. Attached is the new module, put it in /system/lib/modules. You'll also need the very latest kernel. I made some very big changes to the sd driver so this could break other things..