How-To Reinstall Your Sprint Visual VM under CM7!!!

Search This thread

Skorpyun812

Jul 29, 2012
Runnin CM7.2. from CWM 5.0.2.2 :confused:apk doesn't even show up in file mgr. thoughts?:confused:

---------- Post added at 04:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 AM ----------

Sorry, total noob. I dloaded the zip from the link.
Extracted it from my pc directly to my root which gave me folder Titanium Backup and the vvm .apk
I dl'ed and installed the Pro version of Titanium
I opened up titanium and I see no file named /sdcard/sprint_vvm......apk
Plug Evo 4g into PC and it's there in the root but, doesn't show up in "da phone"
I'm obviously doing something wrong or looking at it wrong or something.

Ok so my noobie butt finally figured out how to find and install the app using ASTRO. So it's installed and populated in Titanium. I'll update my slow and choppy progress..

OK, so I figured out in order to get the restore option to show up, I have to create a backup first (yes I really really am this dumb on the topic) I hit restore and Data only as per instructed and I got: "Error T30: Communication with the Voicemail-to-Text server has fail....." soooooooo, what did I break?

Yet another update - tried everything. I uninstalled, rebooted and restored (to which there was only two options, restore app and restore app and data. I hit restore app and data figuring the data was my target.) still getting The error. Gonna do some google searching and see if I can't figure out what I did and how to fix it.

Last edited:

Skorpyun812

Jul 29, 2012
Error T30

Simplified directions for those who are sorta new to this and having trouble:
1. If you install CM7 after wiping (I flashed CM 7.0.3 to my Sprint CDMA Hero after wiping everything), you won't have Sprint VVM, so you can skip some of the steps in first post.
2. Download zip in first post to your computer, and extract there.
3. Download Titanium Backup to your phone.
4. Connect phone to computer (usb mode). Copy apk from extracted folder to sdcard root. Copy the 3 files from the extracted Titanium Backup folder on your computer to the sdcard/Titanium Backup folder.
5. Unplug phone, navigate to the apk in the sdcard root and install it. Don't run Sprint VVM yet (not sure it makes a difference, but I didn't run it until later).
6. Launch Titanium Backup - if you can see the Sprint VVM backup, click on it and restore - data only. If you can't see it in TB's list, reboot, relaunch TB and then look for Sprint VVM backup. When you find it, click on it, restore - data only.
7. Launch Sprint VVM. Compose a voice message to yourself (your phone number) to test send/receive.

I tried this to try and solve an Error T30 problem. did not work. (History - Performed total wipe using Amen Ra, wiped EVERYTHING! only bootloader remained. installed stock ROM 2.3.5. everything worked. Used Clockwork Mod 5.0.2.2 to install CM 7.2. Beautiful ROM). No VVM, came to this thread. Followed instructions from first post, had problems installing .apk file. dl'ed ASTRO file mgr. Found apk and installed. Opened TB and found "Voicemail T.5.1.0.48" tapped it, no restore icon (I think this is where my problem is ---->) backed up VM t51048 and noticed restore option appeared. Hit Data Only and got error t30. Found your instructions, started over following your method, still getting t30.

I think I backed up the apk file which had no connection data and so when I restored it, there was no connect data to restore. How can I fix this?

---------- Post added at 06:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 AM ----------

Ok so no idea what happened. I fired up TB and magically a second backup from a year ago popped up. I restored that. Good to go. Thank you to everyone here for screwing up first so that I could get my answers with no replies to my posts. Seriously, the info was good. I think the manual install did it.
:victory:

Skorpyun812

Jul 29, 2012
Just being a noob

I tried to update this apk and got a general failure message. I found a work around for anyone else having troubles.

HTC EVO 4G

You can actually do this from your phone. These instructions show you how to do this from your phone, not pc/mac. Instruction #1 assumes your are downloading to your phone, not your desktop, laptop or tablet:

1. Go here --------->http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1227489&d=1343494730 and download the .apk file
2. Go into Titanium and uninstall your existing T5.1.0.48
3. Using ASTRO file manager (available free in the play store) locate the file from your "downloads" folder and copy it.
4. While in ASTRO, back out to the root of your sd folder and paste T.5.3.0.32
5. Tap the file you just pasted and tap install.

That's it. No USB. No PC downloads. It worked for me first try so if you have troubles, please contact someone who has been here a while. I'm just a noob trying to help.

Good luck

Last edited:

GShans

Jul 2, 2009
Garland, TX
I tried to update this apk and got a general failure message. I found a work around for anyone else having troubles.

HTC EVO 4G

You can actually do this from your phone. These instructions show you how to do this from your phone, not pc/mac. Instruction #1 assumes your are downloading to your phone, not your desktop, laptop or tablet:

1. Go here --------->http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1227489&d=1343494730 and download the .apk file
2. Go into Titanium and uninstall your existing T5.1.0.48
3. Using ASTRO file manager (available free in the play store) locate the file from your "downloads" folder and copy it.
4. While in ASTRO, back out to the root of your sd folder and paste T.5.3.0.32
5. Tap the file you just pasted and tap install.

That's it. No USB. No PC downloads. It worked for me first try so if you have troubles, please contact someone who has been here a while. I'm just a noob trying to help.

Good luck

I did mine a little differently, but still basically the same and it worked. I went here and downloaded the apk, installed, and it worked perfect out of the box. I did not update when it asked.

beansnorice

Aug 1, 2013
Testing this on my OG running tropical rage as described in OP will post results

Sent from my PC36100 using xda app-developers app

beansnorice

Aug 1, 2013
Kept getting download error. Used other method and it worked like a champ

Sent from my PC36100 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally!!! A solution that worked!!!

I DO NOT CLAIM CREDIT. I'M PROVIDING THIS FOR THE GOOD OF THE FORUM (Original post found here)

1. Download the Sprint VVM 5.1.0.48 Titanium Backup zip: Download attached below
    2. Extract the Sprint VVM 5.1.0.48 Titanium Backup zip to the root of the SD card.
    3. Download & install Titanium Backup from the Market.
    4. Launch Titanium Backup and make sure Sprint VVM is removed (if not, use Titanium Backup to remove it).
    5. Install the Sprint VVM (/sdcard/sprint_vvm_5.1.0.48.apk).
    6. Launch Titanium Backup, select Sprint VVM, select Restore and select Data Only.
    7. NOTE: There is App+Data but it doesn't work.
    8. Launch the Sprint VVM and "Compose" a message to yourself. It will test send and receive functions of Sprint VVM.
    9. Enjoy and report back to the XDA thread with your results.
    10. NOTE: If the above steps do not work, try manually placing the contents of the folder (titaniumbackup) into the preexisting titanium backup folder, i.e. install the APK as instructed, but also extracting the three files within the contained folder into your titanium backup folder.

I can verify and confirm that Sprint VVM (SVVM) works under CM7 Nightly 12 with the stock kernel, using the above method.

NB: On receipt of new voicemail, a text from "9016" will be sent to your phone. I'm using the basic CM7 MMS app and haven't figured out how to stop these notification texts, but that's a minor annoyance to have SVVM back!
    CM7, install Sprint VVM, block notifications

Simplified directions for those who are sorta new to this and having trouble:
    1. If you install CM7 after wiping (I flashed CM 7.0.3 to my Sprint CDMA Hero after wiping everything), you won't have Sprint VVM, so you can skip some of the steps in first post.
    2. Download zip in first post to your computer, and extract there.
    3. Download Titanium Backup to your phone.
    4. Connect phone to computer (usb mode). Copy apk from extracted folder to sdcard root. Copy the 3 files from the extracted Titanium Backup folder on your computer to the sdcard/Titanium Backup folder.
    5. Unplug phone, navigate to the apk in the sdcard root and install it. Don't run Sprint VVM yet (not sure it makes a difference, but I didn't run it until later).
    6. Launch Titanium Backup - if you can see the Sprint VVM backup, click on it and restore - data only. If you can't see it in TB's list, reboot, relaunch TB and then look for Sprint VVM backup. When you find it, click on it, restore - data only.
    7. Launch Sprint VVM. Compose a voice message to yourself (your phone number) to test send/receive.

Getting rid of 9016 text messages:
    If you blacklist this in your messaging app (e.g., Handcent), Sprint VVM will not download your voicemail, and you'll need to dial into voicemail to retrieve messages. Instead, download SPC (in Market, it's called "Private SMS & call" by Superdroid.net). Add 9016 to the blacklist, and have SPC move all 9016 texts from your messaging apps to SPC (this is useful so that you don't have unread message counts in Handcent that reflect unread 9016 messages - if you go into Handcent or the stock messaging app, you'll see the 9016 message count roll down as the messages get moved out to SPC). SPC has its own notifications of blacklisted messages, so you'll want to turn that off in SPC settings.

Lastly, SPC is a big app at 3mb or so. But it can be moved to sdcard to minimize the memory hit (SPC has a lot of functionality which I haven't tested, but this blacklist function works fine when the app is moved to sdcard).

At this point, using a different messaging app like Handcent instead of the stock app is purely because you prefer it, not because you want to avoid 9016 messages, which you've already dealt with. If you do use Handcent or another third-party messaging app, in the stock app, turn off auto-retrieve and notifications, and have the third party app act as your sole messaging app.

Edit: Once you've installed Sprint VVM, you can delete the apk from the sdcard root.
    how come CyanogenMod doesn't include this "fix" with the releases?

Sprint VVM isnt open source. To avoid being taken to court things like this are left out.
    Holy crap - thanks! I have seen this solution before, but no one posted a backup file with it. You fixed my voicemail for the first time since I flashed the first unofficial cm7.
    Sprint vvm has always worked with cm but it is the annoying texts you get with each voicemail. You can use handcent or chomp sms and blacklist the texts fyi.