How to Root Non-Sprint (Cellular South, Bluegrass Cellular, etc) CDMA Hero

Search This thread

markachee

Oct 8, 2009
Hburg
Update (October 7, 2010)
Use ngholson's guide to root: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=581869&page=53#post8358998

Posts in the first 40 or so pages of this thread are old old old. Try browsing through the last 10 or so pages if you have any problems.

I may put a guide for using an App to root in this first post, but I don't have time right now.

OLD OLD OLD Manual Root:

This will still work, but ngholson's guide is a lot easier and you should definitely try it first.

NOTICE / WARNING / READ THESE:
1. I give no guarantees for anything that may or may not result from following these instructions (or any mistakes made).
2. Doing this will probably void your warranty, BUT as long as you don't run some other carrier's RUU (not talking about ROMs here, talking about the official upgrade files. what's important is that your hboot version doesn't change) you can always just flash your carrier's RUU to go back to unrooted completely stock.

Known issues:
NONE! This is a clean procedure that leaves your current rom as is. Any issues you have will be related to whatever ROMs you choose to flash or additional packages you choose to flash to your current rom

Steps:

1. Upgrade to 2.1
We know this works with the initial 2.1 updates, but later updates may patch it. If you have installed additional updates from your carrier, you may have to flash the original RUU to be able to root.

2. Download and extract the Android SDK
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
You really only need this for the adb binary. If anyone can suggest a better way to get it than downloading the entire SDK, let me know.

3. Download and install HTC Sync
Some carriers have specific versions of HTC Sync (I know Cellular South does).
You could also just install the adb drivers.

4. Download the hack and extract it to your SDK tools directory. (or wherever you have adb)
It's attached to this post.

5. Turn on USB Debugging on your phone
Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging

6. Plug your phone in USB

7. Run the script
For Windows this is runindos.bat. You should be able to just double click it.
That's it. This will flash the Darch version of AmonRA's recovery.

8. BACKUP
At this point you should probably backup your current stock rom (see Recovery guide below) and backup your PRL. (navalynt has good instructions on this in his root guide).

Now you can flash a custom rom or just flash the provided su.zip (see Recovery guide below) for Superuser Permissions (root) within your current rom.

Recovery

Recovery is where you can backup, restore, and flash ROMs or additional app zips.

To enter Recovery mode on your phone, power the phone off. Then hold home and press the power button. Keep holding home until you get the recovery screen.

You'll see several options, but the first thing you'll want to use is Backup.I've always used the nandroid option, not sure of the differences between it and bart. Backing up does exactly what you'd expect: copies your current ROM to your sd card. It doesn't change anything on the phone. It does take a few minutes so be patient.

Most roms will suggest you wipe first, and there is a menu option for that in recovery also. Just choose wipe, then factory reset. This does nothing to your sd card and only wipes application data (app installed from the market, settings for any app, etc).

After you've backed up, Recovery is also where you flash new ROMs or additions to your current ROM. It's easiest to pick a rom you want on your pc, and transfer it to your phone over usb. you can either do this the normal way, or if you're already in recovery, there is a USB-MS option you can use. Some Recoveries require flashable zips to be in the root of your sd card (not in any directory). After the ZIP is on your sd card, choose "install zip from sdcard" and pick the zip of the ROM you want. That's it. After it's done flashing, reboot your phone. If you wiped and flashed a full ROM, the first will take several minutes.

If you flash a ROM and either get stuck in a boot loop or just don't like it, go back into recovery under the Backup option and choose nandroid restore. Pick the option you get (it's a directory named with your phone's serial number) and you'll see a list of backups named with the date/time they were created. Choose which one you want to restore, wait a few minutes, then reboot and you'll be back to exactly where you were.

Attachments

• cdma-hero-root.rar
    3.7 MB · Views: 2,020
Last edited:
Reactions: iesous-kurios

markachee

Oct 8, 2009
Hburg
I've learned that the exploit used on the Sprint Hero doesn't work on the CS Hero because it uses mmap_min_addr. This means that exploits which rely on a null pointer dereference (like the Sprint exploit) won't work.

So here's what I think I need:

1) I'll be watching bugtraq, etc... for non null pointer dereference local kernel vulnerabilities. (I don't think I know 100% what that means yet.)

2) I also need to learn how to know if a vulnerability is applicable. Like this one http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/36834 . I don't even know really where to begin to see if I can use that.

3) Once I've found a vulnerability, how do I exploit it? I realize there will probably be proof of concept for the exploit, but how will I turn that into something that executes a specified command like asroot2 does. Is the source available for asroot2?

4) I wonder if I need to bother figuring out if the source used to build the kernel for CS is different from Sprint. Is a change in config.gz enough to legally require HTC to provide me with source specific to the CS version?

Last edited:

cdiamond333

Nov 9, 2009
Keep up the good work

I know there aren't many of us, but I'm really hoping to root my hero sometime soon. I wish I could help but I picked my engineering field because it didn't require learning any computer languages haha

markachee

Oct 8, 2009
Hburg
I know there aren't many of us, but I'm really hoping to root my hero sometime soon. I wish I could help but I picked my engineering field because it didn't require learning any computer languages haha

Glad to see at least one person interested enough to join XDA!

Though I'm afraid we're going to end up waiting until someone roots the Droid and/or Droid Eris and hope that works for us as well.

Can anyone give us an idea about where to find the RUU specific to Cellular South? Do those come from HTC, the carrier, or do they just "magically" make their way to the net from whoever happens to have access to them?

MrDanger

Nov 10, 2009
Starkville, MS
Really Like To See a Root

I would also like to see some success to this post as well... I have been with cellular south for years and this is the best phone they have produced! It only needs root access! Im a computer engineer a Miss. State, and I would love to see what I could do with this phone.

Maybe I could find an exploit... but it might take me longer to find it seeing that I am still in the beginning stages of my discipline.

But all I wanted to say is: LETS GET THIS ROOT!! :D

myjellio

Feb 7, 2007
Root cellular south hero

I agree I have the htc hero from cellular south and would like to share the internet with my computer but cant tether unless phone is rooted

thecatbywas

Jan 12, 2009
Hey guys!

I, too, am a CellSouth Hero haver... and I'm searching high and low for the procedure as well! I'll be checking back here and also searching round and posting anything I find.

If anyone gets an update, please email me at opiecooper@gmail.com

OBSt4l0n

Nov 19, 2009
Branon, MS
Help

I too own a CS hero and i am looking all over the net for a way to root this phone. if a way can be found will any roms work on it or will new CS specific roms have to be developed. If that is the case then i am afraid we CS users won't gain access to this for awhile as the customer base is quite small compared to sprint

markachee

Oct 8, 2009
Hburg
I too own a CS hero and i am looking all over the net for a way to root this phone. if a way can be found will any roms work on it or will new CS specific roms have to be developed. If that is the case then i am afraid we CS users won't gain access to this for awhile as the customer base is quite small compared to sprint

Well I've been surprised by the response to this thread, so hopefully there is more interest specific to CS than we may realize.

Ideally, ROMs made with Sprint Hero in mind will work on the CS Hero. I haven't put much effort into it without having root access yet, but when I get a chance I'm going to take the time to compare things like the radio image, etc and see just how much they differ from one to the other. If nothing else, hopefully we can replace the different pieces in the custom ROMs and be able to use them.

I will update this thread with what I find, and hopefully others will contribute as well.

markachee

Oct 8, 2009
Hburg
It's just going to be a waiting game.

First someone has to find an exploit, most likely in the Linux kernel. This doesn't have to be something specific to our phone. It's more likely that it will be a generic thing that will work for us, Droid, and Droid Eris (as well as Linux in general).

It's not likely I'd be able to discover one of these exploits, so I'm watching for exploits coming out (bugtraq, etc) that might work for us. There really hasn't been anything at all since the pipe.c vulnerability that worked for the Sprint Hero.

markachee

Oct 8, 2009
Hburg
Really one thing we need that we should be able to get now is an RUU specific to Cellular South's Hero. From what I understand, an RUU lets you reset your phone to a factory/updated image in the event something goes wrong. It wouldn't directly help us get root, but it would be a "safety net" for those of us screwing with our phones trying to get root.

Anything you guys could help dig up on where/how to find it would be awesome.

ogboot

Dec 2, 2009
Just chiming in, had my Cell South hero for about a month and have been following this thread with the hope of seeing our phones rooted. I am a technician/admin with some coding and linux experience, but I am unfamiliar with rooting cellphones. anything I can do to help let me know.

jmanley69

Feb 21, 2009

Attachments

• enlightenment.zip
    125.4 KB · Views: 35

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update (October 7, 2010)
    Use ngholson's guide to root: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=581869&page=53#post8358998

Posts in the first 40 or so pages of this thread are old old old. Try browsing through the last 10 or so pages if you have any problems.

I may put a guide for using an App to root in this first post, but I don't have time right now.

OLD OLD OLD Manual Root:

This will still work, but ngholson's guide is a lot easier and you should definitely try it first.

NOTICE / WARNING / READ THESE:
    1. I give no guarantees for anything that may or may not result from following these instructions (or any mistakes made).
    2. Doing this will probably void your warranty, BUT as long as you don't run some other carrier's RUU (not talking about ROMs here, talking about the official upgrade files. what's important is that your hboot version doesn't change) you can always just flash your carrier's RUU to go back to unrooted completely stock.

Known issues:
    NONE! This is a clean procedure that leaves your current rom as is. Any issues you have will be related to whatever ROMs you choose to flash or additional packages you choose to flash to your current rom

Steps:

1. Upgrade to 2.1
    We know this works with the initial 2.1 updates, but later updates may patch it. If you have installed additional updates from your carrier, you may have to flash the original RUU to be able to root.

2. Download and extract the Android SDK
    http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    You really only need this for the adb binary. If anyone can suggest a better way to get it than downloading the entire SDK, let me know.

3. Download and install HTC Sync
    Some carriers have specific versions of HTC Sync (I know Cellular South does).
    You could also just install the adb drivers.

4. Download the hack and extract it to your SDK tools directory. (or wherever you have adb)
    It's attached to this post.

5. Turn on USB Debugging on your phone
    Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging

6. Plug your phone in USB

7. Run the script
    For Windows this is runindos.bat. You should be able to just double click it.
    That's it. This will flash the Darch version of AmonRA's recovery.

8. BACKUP
    At this point you should probably backup your current stock rom (see Recovery guide below) and backup your PRL. (navalynt has good instructions on this in his root guide).

Now you can flash a custom rom or just flash the provided su.zip (see Recovery guide below) for Superuser Permissions (root) within your current rom.

Recovery

Recovery is where you can backup, restore, and flash ROMs or additional app zips.

To enter Recovery mode on your phone, power the phone off. Then hold home and press the power button. Keep holding home until you get the recovery screen.

You'll see several options, but the first thing you'll want to use is Backup.I've always used the nandroid option, not sure of the differences between it and bart. Backing up does exactly what you'd expect: copies your current ROM to your sd card. It doesn't change anything on the phone. It does take a few minutes so be patient.

Most roms will suggest you wipe first, and there is a menu option for that in recovery also. Just choose wipe, then factory reset. This does nothing to your sd card and only wipes application data (app installed from the market, settings for any app, etc).

After you've backed up, Recovery is also where you flash new ROMs or additions to your current ROM. It's easiest to pick a rom you want on your pc, and transfer it to your phone over usb. you can either do this the normal way, or if you're already in recovery, there is a USB-MS option you can use. Some Recoveries require flashable zips to be in the root of your sd card (not in any directory). After the ZIP is on your sd card, choose "install zip from sdcard" and pick the zip of the ROM you want. That's it. After it's done flashing, reboot your phone. If you wiped and flashed a full ROM, the first will take several minutes.

If you flash a ROM and either get stuck in a boot loop or just don't like it, go back into recovery under the Backup option and choose nandroid restore. Pick the option you get (it's a directory named with your phone's serial number) and you'll see a list of backups named with the date/time they were created. Choose which one you want to restore, wait a few minutes, then reboot and you'll be back to exactly where you were.
    After I run the script my phone do not do anything.

Read my post carefully. If you follow the instructions it will work.
    Before trying this i would recommend that you try using z4root first. z4 will root most devices.

**NOTE** When i wrote this i did it for the assistance of cellular south customers that were concerned that all of the rooting methods erroneously appear to be sprint specific. This, however, should work with all hero's.

**NOTE** recently it was brought to my attention that the Androot program will not work with the most recent update from sprint. if you find this to be the case with your hero, try Regaw's rooter here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=909258

**NOTE** If AndRoot does not work for you try Regaw's rooter here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=909258

Need to root a cellular south hero? this should also work on most all carriers. (I am a cellular south hero user, this is the method that i used and it worked just fine.)

before we begin you need to change some settings on the phone. go to SETTINGS -> APPLICATIONS check the box that says 'Unknown Sources'
    then go to SETTINGS -> APPLICATIONS -> DEVELOPMENT and check 'USB Debugging'
    you will also need to have HTC Sync installed (you may want to consider downloading the android SDK so that you have tools like ADB (android device bridge) which allows you to execute shell commands on the phone and push and pull data from a command line. for the purposes of this tutorial it is not necessary to have the sdk.)

you need to download Universal AndRoot. you can either download it to your computer and copy it to your phone or download it directly to your phone. the PC download link is here

if you want to download directly to your phone open your barcode scanner and point it at the following QR Code.

AndroidUniversalandroidrootQRcode_thumb.jpg

you also need a file manager such as ASTRO, this is available from the android market on your phone. once you have ASTRO on your phone, browse the SDCARD for the Universal AndRoot file that you downloaded. once you find it tap on it and choose Application Manager, and select install.

run AndRoot select Root and let it do its thing.

if you just wanted Root access to run programs that require root stop here, you are now rooted.

/------- End of Rooting Guide-------/

if you want to install a custom rom on your hero continue.

/---- Start of custom rom guide ----/

1st make sure that you have at least 500 MB free on your sdcard. it is a good idea to have a fully charged battery but not necessary, just make sure that you have at least 30% battery charged before you try using nandroid.

at any point after this you may be asked to allow superuser permissions to different programs that we are using. make sure that you grant them.

Ok next you need a custom recovery image. there are two that i know of. Clockworkmod and Amon, for this tutorial i am using ClockworkMod. if you want to use Amon stop here and search xda for further help on that, i have not used Amon.

if, like me, you really had no preference which one you use. continue.

go back to the Android Market and download ROM Manager by Clockworkmod. this will also install ClockworkMod Recovery Image. allow it to do its thing.

now find what ROM you wish to run (ie: DangerRom, Cynogenmod, Fresh, Zen... etc...) download it to your computer and copy it to your SDCARD.

next boot the phone in recovery mode. to do this turn the phone off. press and hold Home and Power until you get to the Clockworkmod recovery screen.

using the trackball to scroll and select move down to Nandroid. and create a backup of your phone. (note: make sure that you have at least 30% battery before starting nandroid backup or restore.)

once the backup is complete the Green text menu will appear at the top. use the back button on your phone to go back.

now 'Wipe data/factory reset' and confirm.
    also clear the dalvik cache on your phone.

now choose 'Install zip from sdcard' then 'choose zip from sdcard' locate the ROM you want to install and select it. confirm your selections.

wait for green menu to appear again select 'reboot system now' if this isn't an option use the back button and then choose it.

this first boot will be a very very long one (can be up to 10 min). be very patient.

if the phone goes into a 'bootloop' don't panic
    (this is described as the phone showing the HTC logo then the ROM logo then repeats over and over again. please note that it is normal on some roms for the HTC logo to come back once just before the getting started app loads)

to fix a bootloop pull the battery from the phone to stop the process then boot in to recovery (home and power) and Wipe the data and the Dalvik cache. then reboot.

if you are still stuck in a bootloop go back to recovery and choose nandroid -> restore and restore to your previous rom.

I hope that this helps everyone that is looking to root and/or install custom rom on their Cellular South Hero.

NOTE: there is a lot of talk about radio versions and upgrading. if you decide to do this you, are on your own. flashing a bad radio is the only known way to completely brick your phone. only flash a new radio if you are absolutely 100% sure that it will work with your phone and have checked the MD5 checksum.
    Have you tried One click Root APK for CDMA Hero by jcase? It worked for the new cellular south update.
    Anybody have success with ngholson's instructions for a root/custom ROM on a nTelos Hero?

I rooted using his AndRoot instructions. I installed CM 6.1 and gapps following the Full Update Guide for the CDMA Hero on cyanogenmod's wiki (sorry, can't post a link since I'm a n00b). ngholson's instructions look similar, but if it's your first time, the ones on the wiki are pretty complete and foolproof.