Goodies!!!! [ROOT | STOCK | MODEM | RECOVERY | GUIDES]

Search This thread

sashusmom

May 10, 2008
North Jersey
Hmm. It really shouldn't be so bad. Try flashing the pre-root image in Odin. That's what I am running. You're gonna have to test for me because my phone has intermittent "no sim card inserted" issues. Let me know how that works.

OK. Flashed the pre-root image in odin. I now have-

*build #IMM76D.UVLG3
*Baseband- T879UVLG3

Much better result. Phone is no longer hot and speeds are much better. DL speeds are a touch slower, but UL's are doubled! This was a pleasant surprise. I was only topping out at .7 mbps UL's at the most! Now I an going from .6 to >1 mbps. I still have the foiled mod under the battery on the bottom of the phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-08-18-02-42-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-18-02-42-16.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

Alicklee

Jul 9, 2011
vancouver
OK so I did a reinstall of the rom the at&t way in post two. i download the rom and install it then install the radio file and so far its been really good but have not been able to test the data really well but I gotten biggest boost in speed for the mod att 717 modem file and it seem good. the phone does run a bit hot but thats ok. will report back tomorrow night after a day of usage

BruceDLong

May 8, 2011
infomage.com
T-Mobile Note and loop devices

Hi ROM gurus, I just got my first Note (T879) last week.

Do any of the ROMs working for it so far support loop devices? If not, would one of you guys put one together? That would rock! (Also, please use cwm so I don't have to borrow a windows machine again! ;) )

Bruce Long
------------

sashusmom

May 10, 2008
North Jersey
Well, my last post held lots of promise for the latest tmo updated rom and the matching modem for my at&t Note. The screenshot from last nite at 3am showed DL speeds of 7-9 mbps and UP speeds of .6->1 mbps. My best UL's yet.

Unfortunately now during the busy daytime - on a Sat- those speeds fell to what my old UL speeds were, and the DL speeds are a little worse- Use to get 5-10 on DL, much better than even on the at&t network. Now it is fluctuating- inconsistent. So see my screenshot below. I think I will reflash the blaze modem and see how that is with this t-mo rom.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-08-18-13-20-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-18-13-20-18.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 279

tomin.fhl

Sep 30, 2007
I am on the official tmobile note and my uploads fell to .3-.8 between yesterday and today. Downloads were as high as 20Mbs though and as low as .3Mbs so there might be some other factors. Waiting for my data plan to renew tomorrow to see if things improve with a fresh cycle.

Sent from my SGH-T879 using xda premium

sashusmom

May 10, 2008
North Jersey
So, to give you guys an update. Just flashed the ileet blaze modem (tmobile) for the att phone. This is a CWM file made for the at&t phone. This is about an hour later than my last post. Speed tests are in the red zone. Much better performance than with the t-mo modem for the IMM76D.UVLG3 rom with the matching radio.

So I am running the tmobile IMM76D.UVG3 rom with the ileet Blaze modem for the ATT phone. DL speeds > 10 consistently. UP speeds > 0.3, consistently. So this is my best combination so far. I'll be staying on this till something better comes along.

Will be up for testing. Tomin, you sent me a curve sending me back to odin. Had to read up on how to do it since I haven't used it in months..lol:p But flashing the tmo rom that way fixed the heat issue I was having. It was still warm with the modem, but not the hot-hot hot that it was. I seem to have no heat issue with the above combination of tmo rom + Blaze modem.

@ tomin- You have been working your butt off for this forum and I thank you for your efforts!:D Outstanding.:highfive:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-08-18-14-28-36.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-18-14-28-36.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 280

tomin.fhl

Sep 30, 2007
Cool. NP. Guess upload speeds continue to be my biggest issue. Sucking down 0.3Mbs all the time now on the T879. Oh well.

sashusmom

May 10, 2008
North Jersey
If I'm up tonite at 2 or 3 am, I'll retest and see if UL speeds improve on off peak hours on Blaze modem. Maybe that's all we will get on peak times whether on official radio or modded ones.

Only reason I would want better UL speeds is to run voip over 4g- which I probably will only do once in a blue moon. I have found I'm not using my 100 minutes/month, and just by keeping an extra $5 in your account to pay 10 cents/minute over and above our 100 allowable minute is a good way to expand those 100 minutes.

DL speeds are great for me. On ATT non-lte (I don't live in a lte area), hspa only, I was only getting 2-3 mbps on DL and 1.5 mbps on UL. So, using DL data mostly, I will gladly trade off the UL speed for >10 mbps on the DL.

When I was in NYC on lte, DL and UL speeds were >20 mbps- that was very cool. I dropped ATT, so that won't happen again ;(

But I like the $30/month ($28.50 with calling mart deals). That's a Good trade-off.;)

retest of the blaze modem at 2am-DL speeds 10-13 mbps, UL speeds .5-.65 mbps

Last edited:
Reactions: jokka81

daminux

May 17, 2009
santa isabel
Ok , last try , i just install odin file and did every thing posted for i717 ... so far so good , i will be posting in tom when i get back from work and see how it went , hope this works thank you for all ur hard work :)

hyounglho

May 1, 2009
I am on the official tmobile note and my uploads fell to .3-.8 between yesterday and today. Downloads were as high as 20Mbs though and as low as .3Mbs so there might be some other factors. Waiting for my data plan to renew tomorrow to see if things improve with a fresh cycle.

I just wanted to thank you for your hard-work.

I have ATT Note i717 and just flashed T-Mobile Pre-Rooted ROM as per your instruction. Flashed the T-Mobile Modem in CWM. I was on ICS UCLF6 Rom with Blaze Modem with a lot of fluctuation from 0.5mbps to 6.0mbps on download. Now, for the first time since owning the Note, I am gettting upto 12.0mbps and consisitently above 8.0mbps download. Upload is still little slow with about 1.0mbps but I am a happy camper.

The phone is getting little hot but I don't care. I'm happy and it's due to your hard-work. Keep it up. THANKS!!!!!!:):):)

corazon62788

Feb 11, 2010
Hello everyone im baving a little bit of an issue and hope I could receive some belp. i have the att note i717 but im with tmobile. My phone is rooted, and sim unlocked. I flashed the rom and and the stock recovery from the tmobile note as per instructions . Everything is working great including wifi calling. The only problem im having is that the baseband version keeps saying that it is unknown. did i do something worng? under phone info it also now says its the sgh-t879. Ive tried to flash diffrent modems thru cwm but everytime i do, it messes with the imei so i then have to go back and do a restore from my last backup Thank you for your time and hard work

javip

Dec 3, 2009
tomin:

is there something more we have to do when we flash that odin file to let us boot att roms?

i flashed it through odin using the PDA box. it flashed with no errors but any att rom i try is still boot looping on the samsung logo. i'll the exact rom posted that worked for you to see if that one boots.

i'd really like to try one of the miui or paranoid roms out there on my new t-mo note.

again, thanks for this awesome thread.

tomin.fhl

Sep 30, 2007
Depends on the rom. Until they are officially ported or compiled for the t879 it's guess work as to which will work with just a boot.img flash. They are not my roms so I not going to tweak them etc. but this is what I did to get DAGr's AOKP CM9 to boot:

1. Get the rom flashable zip
2. Get CWM specifically for the I717. This is important because a lot of dev insist on assert checks to verify the you're installing the rom on. Safety first, but it can be a pain. I don't think I have that file on the server so do a quick search on the I717 forum for the quincy-att cwm.
3. Flash the rom
4. Flash the T-mobile boot.img.
5. If you're having trouble, try flashing the i717 boot.img. That didn't work for me though.

Last edited:

javip

Dec 3, 2009
Depends on the rom. Until they are officially ported or compiled for the t879 it's guess work as to which will work with just a boot.img flash. They are not my roms so I not going to tweak them etc. but this is what I did to get DAGr's AOKP CM9 to boot:

2. Get CWM specifically for the I717. This is important because a lot of dev insist on assert checks to verify the you're installing the rom on. Safety first, but it can be a pain. I don't think I have that file on the server so do a quick search on the I717 forum for the quincy-att cwm.
3. Flash the rom
4. Flash the T-mobile boot.img.
5. If you're having trouble, try flashing the i717 boot.img. That didn't work for me though.

tomin.

thanks for all the insight. i couldn't get anything to boot. i tried DAGr's AOKP CM9 from both CWM touch and from twrp 2.2.1.1 and CWM would refuse to flash it but twrp did fine.

i used a combination of both recoveries and about 4 different roms and both the ATT and TMO boot.img.

using CWM and DAGr's rom with the ATT boot.img my computer would actually see the device connect but nothing else.

using the TMO boot.img i would get no computers recognition but there would be some weird display flashes on my phone.

for now i'm just restoring my backup from twrp (prefer it over cwm).

thanks for all the help and info you've put into this thread.

hopefully someone smarter than i can port over those att roms :)

thanks again!

tomin.fhl

Sep 30, 2007
Wierd. It booted up fine for me. Maybe I forgot to include a step. Will try again after a nandroid back up. Small question, you are flashing the tmobile boot.img AFTER flashing the rom right?

javip

Dec 3, 2009
Wierd. It booted up fine for me. Maybe I forgot to include a step. Will try again after a nandroid back up. Small question, you are flashing the tmobile boot.img AFTER flashing the rom right?

yeah i'm flashing the t-mo boot.img after flashing the rom. i thought that was the mistake i was making until i re-read the instructions and noticed you flashed it afterwards.

twrp didn't fail on any of the roms i flashed. CWM failed on a few with the assert checks.
both did fine with DAGr's AOKP CM9 rom.

here the process i did.

1:(either recovery, i tried one then the other.)
2: wiped everything first
3: flashed rom
4: flashed t-mo radio (i do this because i tried flashing a straight att rom that included an att rom, then when i restored my nandroid my radio was from the other rom, i always flash the radio you posted for t-mo on here.)
5: flashed t-mo boot img.
6: after it fails i flash the att boot.img (you can tell the difference because it doesn't show the GALAXY NOTE 4g boot).

the att boot.img gets me further cause my pc recognizes an mtp device but doesn't show anything listed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings folks. Been playing with my T-Mobile Galaxy Note for about a week and thought I would put together a little basket of goodies and quick starts to make the transition a little easier for the rest of us. I will keep this short and sweet. Follow up rooting guides posted in post 2. If these help, don't forget to hit the thanks button and/or donate. For anything that's not my work, I'll post/clean up the sources/credits/references tonight. Also, I am testing out a new online storage facility, so mirror these as soon as you can since I might have to bring it down in a month or so. If you need anything that's not here, just ask.

Disclaimer:
    1. This post is intended for the T879 only. Some tweaks are necessary to get a full port of the build/baseband from the T-mobile Note to the AT&T Note. Stay tuned.
    2. As is common knowledge, you use of any of these files/guides at your own risk and I am not responsible for any damages your may incur in doing so.

1. T-Mobile Note Goodies

a. T879-PRE-ROOTED STOCK SYSTEM IMAGE UVLG3 BUILD - WILL NOT TRIP FLASH COUNTER. https://www.onlinefilefolder.com/3s7FNMjsmCGLMW
    i. This is the latest build from the OTA update. It has been pre-rooted with the Super user, su, and busybox 1.21 installed. Flash this through ODIN. It will not increase your flash counter. Thanks to roloracer for doing for the i717 first and letting me know this was possible!​

b. T879-STOCK RECOVERY IMAGE - https://www.onlinefilefolder.com/3sx0g1iX7W331U
    i. This is the stock T-Mobile recovery for the T879. If you rooted using rotohammer's UVLF5 nandroid backup then you are likely stock with the UVLF5 build and cannot get the OTA update to complete because you don't have the stock T-Mobile recovery. Flash this recovery to revert to stock recovery, then the OTA update will complete without aborting and bring you to the UVLG3 build/baseband combo.​
    ii. After you complete the OTA update, flash the pre-rooted system image in 1.b. above for easy root.​
    iii. N.B. If you used Android Revolution's nandroid backup and you already have the UVLG3 build but not the UVLG3 baseband, the OTA update will not initiate because it thinks your phone is already completely updated. Flash the radio below to get the updated baseband to match the UVLG3 build. Speeds are best for me with the matching build/baseband.​
    i. This is the latest modem from the OTA update. Flash through CWM.​
    i. Most useful for folks trying to get AT&T Galaxy Note roms to boot on the T879. Flash this in ODIN. I managed to get DAGr8's AOKP CM9 rom to boot and it was functional except for mounting external_sd so some tweaks are needed. May post a guide on what I did.​
    e. T879-FLASH COUNTER RESET - https://www.onlinefilefolder.com/3sifFwMg3wmcKR
    i. If you flashed CWM through ODIN you tripped the flash counter. Use this to reset it to zero. Thanks to braway for this for the i717.​
    f. CWM TOUCH RECOVERY - https://www.onlinefilefolder.com/3sFurRZpksbs6k | ODIN FLASHABLE CWM TOUCH RECOVERY https://www.onlinefilefolder.com/3sYujqhSWDjt5I
    i. Self explanatory. If you don't care about the flash counter, or you are going to reset it, flash this through ODIN to get up CWM recovery up and running.​
    i. Self explanatory. If you don't care about the flash counter, or you are going to reset it, flash this through CWM recovery to get root.​
    Rooting Guides

General Guides

How to get T-Mobile 879 Galaxy Note into download mode

To get the T-Mobile phone into download mode it MUST be connected via usb to your computer first. Then hold volume button up and down while turning the phone on. When the warning prompt come up, press the volume up button.

Rooting guides.

If you're like most people and couldn't care less about tripping the flash counter (especially since you can reverse it) rooting is easy.
    1. Apply the OTA update
    2. Download the odin flashable CWM touch recovery in bullet item f. in post 1.
    3. Flash that through ODIN
    4. Download the super user zip in bulllet point g. of post 1 and flash through CWM. You should now be rooted. Alternatively, download a rooted custom rom - karryt has a UVLG3 build posted here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1838067. I think that rom is rooted. If not just apply the super user zip after installing that rom.
    5. If you did not complete the OTA update as stated in 1. before flashing CWM or a custom rom, download the modem in bullet point c. in post 1.
    6. Now, download the flash counter reset in e. in post 1 and flash through CWM to reset your flash counter.
    7. That's it. You should be cooking. When more roms pop up, you will have your phone in CWM all the time flashing roms and missing calls like a player.
    8. Thank rotohammer, Android Revolution, karryt, and easyguy for getting the ball rolling doing all this and posting about it. Thank braway for flash counter reset. Thank me too ( it's just a button :D ).

If you have an unrooted t-mobile note and you want root without tripping the counter:
    1. Apply the OTA update now when you still have the stock recovery.
    • Do that first. If you wait until after flashing CWM you won't be able to get OTA and will have to use another method (easy enough) to update your phone
    2. After your OTA update successfully completes, download the pre-rooted stock image to your computer
    3. Flash that image in odin. To do that:
    • i. Put your phone in download mode.
    • ii. Click the PDA button and select the tar ball you downloaded
    • iii. Make certain only "Auto-reboot" and "F. Reset time" are selected
    • iv. Click start
    4. Let the phone reboot
    5. Now you should be rooted but WAIT. You cannot use any custom roms just yet. now you need CWM.
    6. If you want CWM but are paranoid about tripping the flash counter:
    • i. Download rom manager from market and use rom manager to flash CWM - Select the version for the i717 if a T879 is not yet available
    • ii. Now you have CWM and can create your nandroid backups and get started flashing custom roms.
    • iii. If you prefer CWM Touch, download if from the list in post 1 (fourth in the list) and flash it through CWM.
    7. Thank rololancer for showing us i717 folks this was possible. Thank me too :cool:

Running T-Mobile T879 Stock rom and radio on the i717

*EDIT: Had to change these instructions a bit

1. Download the pre-rooted image (first in the list above)
    2. Download the odin flashable boot.img
    3. Put your phone in download mode
    4. Start odin.
    5. Flash the pre-rooted image
    6. Your phone will reboot - keep holding the volume down button so you get back into download mode
    7. If you miss download mode, the phone will try to boot but you will end up at a blank screen
    7. Turn off the phone, remove the battery, reinsert the batter and power on the phone while holding the volume down button. This will get you back into download mode.
    8. Now that you are back in download mode, start odin
    9. Start odin
    10. Flash the odin flashable boot image from post 1
    11. Lastly reboot into CWM and flash the radio for the i717 from here this brew in CWM.
    12. That's it.
    13. No promises on improvements especially upload speeds. Like I said on jeet's thread ... "Not much of a speed improvement though. The T-mobile Note gives me 10-16Mb down and .8-1.2 Mb up. Best I have gotten with the modem on the I717 is 6.7Mbs down and .4 Mbs up and that is with a fully stock T-Mobile rom running on the AT&T note so the T-mobile lib files are being used. When I flashed the radio on an AT&T i717 rom - AOKP CM9, so lib files built for the i717 were being used, the results were about the same. So, the radio/rom themselves don't present that much of an improvement, but the complete T-Mobile Note definitely gave me more love in the speed department. Still funny though that I cannot get past 1.2Mbs on uploads. Anyhow, seems unless someone is able to edit the amss.bin without breaking the signature, that's the best we can get out of the i717 for now."

EDIT: Got 10Mbs and 8 Mbs down on this modem consecutively, then 3Mbs down. Uploads still 500kps. Then another 9Mbs, so teh modem seems capable of pulling high speeds, just not as consistently as the T879. On the T879 I can hit 9Mpbs and above consistently. Uploads vary between 800kbs and 1.2Mbs.

EDIT2: Last edit. Downloads are more consistently in the 8Mbs - 10Mbs range now with some 3-4Mbs in there.Attached are two speed test screen shots to give you an idea.

Booting I717 AT&T Galaxy Note Roms s

Ok, I have only tried this with DAGr8's AOKP CM9. It boots and is useable but there is an issue with mounting the external sdcard which I was working on but ran out of time. Anyhow, these are the steps to get it booted.

2. Get CWM specifically for the I717. This will save you a lot of trouble because most devs use assert checks to verify the you're installing the rom on the "correct" device (in this case the i717 not the T879. Safety first, but it can be a pain. I don't think I have that file on the server so do a quick search on the I717 forum for the quincy-att cwm.
    3. Flash the rom in CWM
    4. Flash the T-mobile boot.img in odin. Alternatively, restore your boot.img from CWM from a T879 backup.
    5. Reboot. Don't be alarmed if there is no boot logo (AOKP unicorn). So long as the second Samsung logo pops up at some state ... the one that glows, the rom will continue to boot and you should soon be greeted by the home screen.
    Im on a rooted att note.... What would be the recommended way?
    I also dont know what flash counter or tripping flash counter is lol

Not worries. Writing up a little guide for people on the AT&T note. Just testing it on mine first.
    stock recovery full ROM for the T879

Maybe I'm slow or I'm missing something, but the one thing I don't see in tomin's original post is a stock (unrooted) ROM image for the T879 for recovery/unrooting purposes. I dug around, and found one here: http://hotfile.com/dl/169933943/8dc43a7/SGH-T879_TMB_T879UVLG3_T879TMBLG3_Original.zip.html found via http://androidromupdate.com/2012/09...y-note-sgh-t879-ics-4-0-4-original-stock-rom/

I successfully applied the .tar file through ODIN and can confirm it takes the device back to unrooted state - good for me, since I've got to do a warranty return. :D Hopefully this is of use to others, too.
    Upload speed went from .7 to 2.71

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Very Nice!!! Enjoy:victory: