Change your APN settings!

Search This thread

Driggity420

Jul 23, 2010
New Jersey
When i started using my Skyrocket i noticed my data was very patchy(would work here and there and not let me open certain websites and speedtest.net app was not connecting at all). I looked into the APN settings and noticed it said "PTA". I looked into this and found out that it was for the new LTE network. I do not live near a LTE area nor do i think ill be getting it anytime soon(i live in south new jersey). So i googled at&t hspa+ settings and found this forum that gave the settings for hspa+ and mms and rebooted my Skyrocket. Boom! Ping times down to 80 and speedtest.net app connects asap. Every single thing i do that involves internet is instant. If you dont have LTE in your area i highly recommend doing this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA App

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA
I live in Maine, we don't even have "4g", let alone lte. I have not messed with my APN settings and data has been flawless for me. I get 3.5-4mb consistently at my house (3g) where I used t get anywhere from 500kb-2.5mb, with a rare spike of 3mb. I also have yet to try anything data wise on my phone that was "blocked" or didn't work.

Reactions: brookfield

Dxtra

May 27, 2010
This temporary solve the problem. At&t is behind this. Take a look at your plan. From I'm seen the Unlimited plan I was grandfather in has restrictions impulse . The 2GB data plan said you could freely stream, search ect. Calling at&t wtf is this BS. Piss off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

MisterEdF

Apr 29, 2010
Florida USA
Data speeds vary so widely depending on 100's of factors. The "speedtest" apps themselves are barely reliable, you can run them 5 times in a row and get huge variations. You can't get true results based on one 5 second download. One time I get 10ms ping and 5 seconds later I get 9,500ms. One time I get .2Kbps and 5 seconds later I get 9MBps download.

Most of these speed test results and their fixes are just smoke and mirrors and the "results" are totally meaningless because they will vary from one SECOND to the next.

Longcat14

Feb 13, 2011
Dallas
This temporary solve the problem. At&t is behind this. Take a look at your plan. From I'm seen the Unlimited plan I was grandfather in has restrictions impulse . The 2GB data plan said you could freely stream, search ect. Calling at&t wtf is this BS. Piss off

Yep, it's probably to get you off the unlimited plan.

Just call AT&T and tell them what kind of bull**** is this, ***** for a long time, threaten to cancel your service and go to Verizon for an LTE network that's faster (lies) and spread out more, and I'm sure they'll come to some agreement. :)

Driggity420

Jul 23, 2010
New Jersey
I am on an an unlimited plan i have had many phones that never had this issue and my data was consistant. I knew it had to do with the APN. FOR ME this worked. It seemed like my skyrocket was picky about websites and facebook did not want to refresh and the issue with the soeedtest.net app wasnt its accuracy it simply would not connect AT ALL. It just never found a connection. When i would use wifi everything worked perfect for me and still does. I did not delete the stock APN so when lte comes around ill just go back but for now im back to my normal CONSISTANT bandwidth. And im clocking faster speeds at my house than any other phone ive used

decimusmaximus7

Mar 23, 2006
Madison, MS
I am on an LTE data plan but I don't have LTE in my area so I tried switching this too. I was unable to get MMS to work, although my MMS works fine on both the pta apn and the wap.cingular apn.

mbze430

Feb 28, 2007
Southeast Missouri
to prove that it's "at&t conspiracy" to make grandfathered user to switch...

Anyone using the PTA APN with the 2GB "Unlimited" Plan have issues going to sites like.. say www.justin.tv?

I personally think the PTA APN is restricted and has NOTHING to do with which plan someone has.

Find someone with a 2GB Plan and ask them to use the PTA APN and see if they can get to ... www.justin.tv

decimusmaximus7

Mar 23, 2006
Madison, MS

Anyone using the PTA APN with the 2GB "Unlimited" Plan have issues going to sites like.. say www.justin.tv?

I personally think the PTA APN is restricted and has NOTHING to do with which plan someone has.

Find someone with a 2GB Plan and ask them to use the PTA APN and see if they can get to ... www.justin.tv

I tried it on mine, justin.tv wouldn't load on pta, phone, or wap.cingular apns. Then I switched back to pta, and it loaded.

Kadin

Sep 23, 2007
California

I've confirmed this with a friend of mine who is on the 2gb plan. It doesn't work for him either. And I'm on unlimited myself.

enkoder

Nov 9, 2011
Will someone do me a favor?

Someone not using the pta apn, ie someone using the "phone" apn, send a MMS and let me know the results.

I can only send MMS when using the pta APN. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Did I mess up the settings?

mbze430

Feb 28, 2007
Southeast Missouri
I've confirmed this with a friend of mine who is on the 2gb plan. It doesn't work for him either. And I'm on unlimited myself.

good so we can lay this to rest that

1) the new PTA APN is restricted, and it DOES NOT matter if you have an unlimited grandfather plan or a 2GB plan. it's JUST AT&T blocking certain website

2) there is NO secret/conspiracy with AT&T trying to get unlimited grandfather plan people to switch to the 2GB plan, because regardless which plan one has, if you are using the PTA APN... it's restricted.

enkoder

Nov 9, 2011
When i started using my Skyrocket i noticed my data was very patchy(would work here and there and not let me open certain websites and speedtest.net app was not connecting at all). I looked into the APN settings and noticed it said "PTA". I looked into this and found out that it was for the new LTE network. I do not live near a LTE area nor do i think ill be getting it anytime soon(i live in south new jersey). So i googled at&t hspa+ settings and found this forum that gave the settings for hspa+ and mms and rebooted my Skyrocket. Boom! Ping times down to 80 and speedtest.net app connects asap. Every single thing i do that involves internet is instant. If you dont have LTE in your area i highly recommend doing this.

Are you able to send and receive picture messages? If you can, can you please put the link to where you found the apn settings?

Thanks.

enkoder

Nov 9, 2011
This is very strange, but I am now able to get MMS on the "phone" apn. Here are my settings:

Name: HSPA+
APN: phone
MMC: 310
MNC: 410
APN type: internet

Name: ATT pta
APM: pta
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
APN type: internet + mms

NOTE: HSPA+ selected.

I am not going to try and figure out why it works now, but I'm stoked. It wasn't working before when I just had "phone" apn, but seems to be working fine now.

groves226

Jul 11, 2009
yeah... i noticed some weird things and im in an lte market.

got a text that im at the top 5% of data users also, unlimited data and i cant connect to a lot of sites... weird.

i dont tether.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Data speeds vary so widely depending on 100's of factors. The "speedtest" apps themselves are barely reliable, you can run them 5 times in a row and get huge variations. You can't get true results based on one 5 second download. One time I get 10ms ping and 5 seconds later I get 9,500ms. One time I get .2Kbps and 5 seconds later I get 9MBps download.

Most of these speed test results and their fixes are just smoke and mirrors and the "results" are totally meaningless because they will vary from one SECOND to the next.
    Link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1109983

I live in Maine, we don't even have "4g", let alone lte. I have not messed with my APN settings and data has been flawless for me. I get 3.5-4mb consistently at my house (3g) where I used t get anywhere from 500kb-2.5mb, with a rare spike of 3mb. I also have yet to try anything data wise on my phone that was "blocked" or didn't work.
    Will someone do me a favor?

Someone not using the pta apn, ie someone using the "phone" apn, send a MMS and let me know the results.

I can only send MMS when using the pta APN. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Did I mess up the settings?

I also have experienced the same thing.