*UPDATED* 6/26/2012 Motorola Razr/Maxx, Droid 4,HTC Rezound Will work on any GSM

Search This thread

janocool

Dec 24, 2010
Cuenca
I just realize that sending sms is not working. Phone and mobile internet no problems so far. Does anyone having this problem

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Try this build.prop edit: ro.telephony.gsm-routes-us-smsc=1 change value to 0
Save and be sure permissions are set to rw-r--r--(644) and reboot.

This setting makes the SMS appear to originate in the US for VZW global subscribers.
Setting it to 0 should fix the issue for international use.

Last edited:
Reactions: janocool

janocool

Dec 24, 2010
Cuenca
thanks man.

For noob people trying this: to change build.prop you need root explorer or similar app edit the file buil.prop find the line and save changes, reboot.

---------- Post added at 04:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 AM ----------

Try this build.prop edit: ro.telephony.gsm-routes-us-smsc=1 change value to 0
Save and be sure permissions are set to -rw--r--r (644) and reboot.

This setting makes the SMS appear to originate in the US for VZW global subscribers.
Setting it to 0 should fix the issue for international use.

It works, thanks, just when i reboot the phone a message about unknown provider appear, but then works great

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
The funny thing is i didn't use your unlock zip i was using the features that came in ics 206 and screwed it up but your zip fixed it.

Yes, I realized that and you probably should run the Unlock zip to restore he default ICS config.
I have seen this happen and usually switching back and making sure that the network selection is properly set will get service back. It is the Dual Mode switch feature that gets stuck sometimes I think.

The bottom line is that the default setting on ICS is the unlocked full RF_BC_CONFIG_I string which is 8703E80400000200 and this supports all modes including LTE.

Also note that the default network mode value in the build.prop is set to 8 from 7 in the ICS builds.

There are also differences in the NVM and many of the build.prop settings have correlary NV Items associated with them, so the same changes can be made in the NVM in many cases.

barron35

Nov 2, 2010
need sim after ota?

Great work on this guys, quick question. Once Verizon provides an update which allows us to roam on global GSM carriers, would we still need a different sim or just use what the phone came with? Thanks!

bookmonke

Dec 12, 2011
I may have overlooked this in the thread but has anyone in the states got this working yet, such as AT&T and if so, what steps did you take?

janocool

Dec 24, 2010
Cuenca
Yes, I realized that and you probably should run the Unlock zip to restore he default ICS config.
I have seen this happen and usually switching back and making sure that the network selection is properly set will get service back. It is the Dual Mode switch feature that gets stuck sometimes I think.

The bottom line is that the default setting on ICS is the unlocked full RF_BC_CONFIG_I string which is 8703E80400000200 and this supports all modes including LTE.

Also note that the default network mode value in the build.prop is set to 8 from 7 in the ICS builds.

There are also differences in the NVM and many of the build.prop settings have correlary NV Items associated with them, so the same changes can be made in the NVM in many cases.

Can anyone post a link to ICS 206 leak?
What is the pros and cons of updating in the case you are using this hack?
And if verizon activates the global mode theres a chance to sim lock the device, i mean i have a droid 3 here working in my local networks but i need to buy a unlock code to make it work, the ICS 206 comes lock free?

Thanks a lot for your help

DanDDo

Nov 24, 2011
I have experienced the same prob with att and tmo not workng.
But just now I was fiddling around with *#*#4636#*#* settings on a fresh bwcm9 install with an att prepaid sim..i received 93 texts that were sent to my att number... still no service and network is unknown as well as phone number.

Pretty much I'm on bwcm9leak and did not flash the tbh zip files.. on 206 using safestrap

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

pwrdbykyank

Mar 28, 2011
hey guys, ok im kinda confused. Will this work to make the Droid Razr for Verizon work on international sim cards? Also does everything work or there is problems for texting or data?

janocool

Dec 24, 2010
Cuenca
hey guys, ok im kinda confused. Will this work to make the Droid Razr for Verizon work on international sim cards? Also does everything work or there is problems for texting or data?

I have a droid razr working in Ecuador, just root the device, install recovery and install the zip in this thread, thats all, i got phone service working and data (850mhz 3g). For sms you have to edit a line in build.prop and thats all, working without problems. I got a droid razr with a bad esn so i get it really cheap.

trickyhenry

Dec 27, 2007
One happy english lad here. After saying this worked i then realised that voice did not work over 3g. Now after loads of research and searching (noob i am) i have a 100% working maxx.
I know i shouldnt of but i just used cheesecake to and updated to 6.16.206
I can confirm out of the box i have voice and data with 3g on gsm 3uk.

This build is nice and fast so no complaints yet. No downgrade options yet but today i dont care.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium

janocool

Dec 24, 2010
Cuenca
One happy english lad here. After saying this worked i then realised that voice did not work over 3g. Now after loads of research and searching (noob i am) i have a 100% working maxx.
I know i shouldnt of but i just used cheesecake to and updated to 6.16.206
I can confirm out of the box i have voice and data with 3g on gsm 3uk.

This build is nice and fast so no complaints yet. No downgrade options yet but today i dont care.

So you have ICS working fine with GSM? how did you updated, maybe a guide to follow, where did you get cheesecake, do you preserve the root?

trickyhenry

Dec 27, 2007
Im not sure its for the faint hearted as i said in the last post. Apparently there is no way back to gb. I guess the future is unknown for future updates.

Essentially i was on gb stock latest version.
Rooted it then backed up with ota root keeper
Downloaded and installed Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip via es file explorer and clockwork.

Googled and found cheesecake 2.0
Ran that to download 6.16.206 and installed.
Regained root via ota root keeper.
switched phone to gsm and entered apn.

Hey all. I don't mean to be a pain in the ass but could someone post a summary of what has been accomplished so far or could the OP update post #1 to list what has worked and what has been tried and failed. I'd read through all 200+ posts but I use screen reader software due to a visual impairment and it would take me about 3 hours to do so. Thanks

ice9tech

May 28, 2012
Toronto
What will happen if I flash either of those .ZIP files onto my XT910?

I'm tempted to try it, to see if it shows up as a CDMA/LTE radio instead. When I do the *#*#4636#*#* it has WCDMA listed as a possible network selection. I'm on a GSM/HSPA network which has LTE support, and I'd really like to enable the LTE radio if possible.

Also, is it possible for me to retrieve the current motorola.update_nv string so I can compare with the ones in both of the .ZIPs?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TBH Band Config Unlock zip Install for Razr

It's not "Magic code".

It is just a zip installation of the NVM edit using the updater-binary from an official OTA update.zip to write the 8 byte string for the band config to NV Item 1877.

The NVM is updated every time you get an OTA in order to increment the version numbers and dates. We just used the binary for our own needs.

So far, we have not had complete success with this on the D4 or Razr on stock hardware with T Mobile or ATT in the US. There appears to be a different form of lock in effect for domestic GSM carriers, because there are many reports of it working with international carriers, at least on D4.

There is a Chinese engineering ICS build that P3droid has running on his eng Razr and everything works out of the box with that radio image. It cannot be loaded on stock hardware unfortunately.
    We dumped the entire NVM from it and I have been going through it to find a potential solution. There are many differences in the NVM and it will take some time to work through them to determine their impact.

Edit: I have included the Razr version of the TBH band config zip files for those interested in testing this.

These files MUST be run from Razr bootstrap recovery and NOT Safestrap.
    The unlock zip writes the GSM band config string and the relock zip writes the stock string to revert if you need to for any reason.

They do no other modifications to the device and any build.prop edits or additional apns-conf.xml or system libs must be done manually if desired.

Please post back with any information regarding success or failure using these files, thanks!
    The files did not upload from my dropbox properly, sorry. I will have to reattach them from PC later.

Edit 2: I reuploaded the files. These have been tested on mine and P3droid's Razrs and should work fine.
    As people quickly discovered, the D4 files work on the Razr too, so you can use either. The binaries are compatible and the string is the same. The Chinese ICS build has a slightly altered string that you can also try in RadioComm if desired.
    The first 2 bytes are different: 8001E80400000200
    ***UPDATE 6/26/2012***

Ok, not all the info that I got before was 100% correct. It looks like RAZR / MAXX is unlocked only for Global(GSM) use which is outside of USA. The Tmobile and ATT sims are not fully working as of right now.

We have couple amazing Devs which are working to resolve this issue.

Please PM me if you want me to update the OP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the Bionic forum people found a way to activate disabled feature of couple 4g verizon phones to be able to use it on GSM networks.

Can someone test it please?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1297714

***UPDATE***

Follow this steps to make it work: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25967009&postcount=118
    how did you do it , as in the steps and the carrier you used, att or tmo.
    assuming it's att as you are on 850 3g, also can you please post a pic for us.
    we will be so happy :)

Actually its pretty easy , no need of Radio Comm

I have a Moto CDMA XT912

Steps :

[optional] Flash this : ICS ROM > http://bit.ly/JW8j8w
    [optional] Flash this : GAPPS > http://bit.ly/JW7vAG

Flash this : GSM PATCH > http://bit.ly/JW7Hjd
    FLash this : "MAGIC code" lol > http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1048524&d=1336485537

Reboot , and done ! , you'll have GSM enabled [ all bands ]
    I am not giving up anyone. Right now still working on unlock for xt912 for my wife since she hates changing phones. Can't ask for anything better then a phone that can do both CDMA and gsm. We are planning a trip to Asia after the baby is born.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app
    The first thing I did after completing the edit on my RAZR M and testing it was to check the NVM of my D4 for the same item. It is not present on any of the MDM6600 chipset devices, unfortunately.

There are a number of other items that contain single byte boolean switches(01 on 00 off) in the 8000-8400 range, which is the main section of Motorola proprietary NVM area and I have tried all of them and none of them enables US GSM carriers.

I have also tried logging with QXDM in order to try to replicate the method used to isolate the 8322 item in the MSM8960 chipset based devices but without any results so far.

This was deliberately setup on those devices as a boolean switch by the Moto engineers and there is not necessarily a corollary item or switch on the MDM6600 based devices.
    I have dumped the NVM from all of my devices including Bionic, D4, RAZR and Xoom many times and logged QXDM for hours monitoring the radio searching for clues to the nature and location of the MCC block and have tried many varied combinations of NV edits.

I have spent hundreds of hours doing this over the past year since their release over many firmware revisions and configurations and have NVM dumps from other users devices and engineering models with the unlocked Chinese radio and everything working as it should and still have not found the solution.

I am not saying I haven't missed anything nor thought through all of the possibilities, but I have amassed a considerable amount of information and studied it at length.
    We have tools and techniques for access and analysis of the radios and the images and haven't found the answer yet.

I just wanted to make clear that much of this ground has been covered and there is a lot of work that has been done thus far.