A case that will make your Note 2 look like and iPhone

Search This thread
I think thats a rumor.. have you tried it? I have a metal back I transplanted an nfc antenna to and it works fine.. maybe it reaches through the side frame (which is actually plastic made to look like metal) so I cant be sure.. but that sounds like something somebody said and ppl just thought it must be true. NFC isnt as weak as some may think.. ive tried several different combinations of materials with success.. BUT, if its 100% metal with no break, there may be an issue.. but like I said, im good at making things work. Its all hearsay until we have it in hand though. Ill keep everyone posted.

Sent from my AT&T Galaxy Note II /w wireless charging.

Yes. I tried it before my post. NFC transfer between my Note 2 and Galaxy. With the foil between, nothing, as soon as I move the foil out of the way the tap to transfer begins. Any metal will block radio waves. Nfc is so low power it doesnt take much.

It's not perfect, but as you see, it does block the signal.

Last edited:
Reactions: gretschpr

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
I never liked apple product, and will never buy any, but all I can say is the iphone 5 is one good looking phone.
This isn't the reason why i'm going to buy this case, it's one of the best looking one available.
But before I buy few next week, there is a few factors that i will consider before buying one, how well is the insulation and is the phone secured in the case without getting scratched from the inside, although I do have plenty of the foam sticky tape (provided by these shops that sells aluminum case for phones) that I can put inside, just need to see if there are room for them.
And about NFC,gps, receptions and wireless charging, well just have to see the actual case before i decide.

androidflea

Jul 24, 2010
They are genuine, I just received a refund, as 2 were ordered by mistake, so now I have the silver one on order.

Looking forward to it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

daddymatt

daddymatt

Unless you bought this case and the back is aluminum.... :silly:

You dont get it dude, aluminum foil and machine grade aircraft aluminum start from the same place... but are truly different materials all together. The back of my case im using now is aluminum and my nfc works fine.. so.. I dont have an aluminum foil case so I should be good. Im not sure why you are in here.. just to troll or do you have some use for stating all of this? If your only testing is done with a material composed of a way not used in cases, im missing the point. All in all you could be correct (and may very well be) but you may as well be saying your nfc doesnt work through a tree or through 2 pounds of cement.. its not relevant. I ask, what do you do for a living? Do you have any understanding of the materials being discussed? Just curious. A piece of paper and a tree stump have the same genetic make up but are very different. A lot of phones and computing devices are made with airplane grade aluminum and function just fine (some dont). The fact is, we wont know until I have it in hand.

You dont get it dude, aluminum foil and machine grade aircraft aluminum start from the same place... but are truly different materials all together. The back of my case im using now is aluminum and my nfc works fine.. so.. I dont have an aluminum foil case so I should be good. Im not sure why you are in here.. just to troll or do you have some use for stating all of this? If your only testing is done with a material composed of a way not used in cases, im missing the point. All in all you could be correct (and may very well be) but you may as well be saying your nfc doesnt work through a tree or through 2 pounds of cement.. its not relevant. I ask, what do you do for a living? Do you have any understanding of the materials being discussed? Just curious. A piece of paper and a tree stump have the same genetic make up but are very different. A lot of phones and computing devices are made with airplane grade aluminum and function just fine (some dont). The fact is, we wont know until I have it in hand.

I was an aircraft mechanic in the AF for 11 years. I think I know a little bit about aluminum. Aluminum foil and aircraft grade aluminum will both stop wireless signals at this level cold. I've been a network engineer for almost 12 years now. So I know how wireless radios work as well. The reason metal phones work is because the part where the antenna is located isn't under the metal parts, or in the case of the iPhone, the frame itself is the antenna. Unless you put the nfc antenna on the outside, it's not going to work if the back is all aluminum. You're right, until someone gets one of these and says yea, or nay on the back being metal, it's all just guesses. I was replying to daddymatt who said he thought the nfc through metal not working was a rumor and wanted to know if I tested it.

Reactions: zkyevolved
Okay, whether aluminium foil and aircraft grade aluminium are the same or not, it does not change the fact it will definitely degrade any kind of signal the aluminium is enclosing. Just for the sake of it, I just did a test with a piece of alu foil folded into 4 to make up the thickness I think this case would have for the back piece, and then chuck it on the back of the phone and then fit into an alu bumper case I have:

442Tq.jpg

And then I use some signal monitoring app to see the changes in cellular and wifi signal with and without the case on, here are the results:

1GTNS.jpg

i4LUy.jpg

As you can see with the alu bumper and alu foil back cover, signals do drop and fluctuate a lot more than normal trying to gain/detect the signal (which will definitely drain battery more too). Wifi test with 17% signal strength lost, and cellular 3G also with 17% signal strength lost.

I'm not against this case at all or any other aluminium case/bumpers, the fact that I own quite a few of these bumpers for my past iPhone 4, and one for Note 2 right now. I also already ordered 2 of this case despite the fact knowing the signals will be degraded and potential additional battery drainage.

Just my little contribution for the people still wondering if metal cases can/cannot affect the signals, the answer is YES it does but to a certain extend depends on the thickness and materials used in the case.

Let's just hope the signals aren't too degraded with this case like the test I did, or else I'm gonna have a bad time ^^!!

Last edited:

androidflea

Jul 24, 2010
Update, just got a email saying they are sold out, and I have to wait until Jan 10th:mad:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

boodies

Mar 3, 2010
and also report if the back scratches like the real thing hehe i kid, but I must admit, the pictures gave me a good laugh.

Vanquiz

Nov 13, 2010
Why in the hell would anyone want to make a Note II look like a crap ass iCrap? This has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

It's got nothing to do with who wants to make the note looks like an icrap or w/e, but if I see something that looks cool and nice for me, I will get it ...

Reactions: kms108

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
The case doesn't make the phone look like a steaming pile of horse manure... FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

Top Liked Posts