Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 now available via Kies!

Search This thread

jack man

Nov 8, 2009
Anybody experiencing any lag?

I installed the JB update out of sheer curiosity and I must say... This is not like any other update. I am getting VERY smooth performance and decent battery life for the first cycle after a flash. This is very uncharacteristic of a stock release. Since i'm on summer break, I may give this a try for a while. My only dislike so far is the gray notification bar at the top. I wish it was black.

fldude99

Oct 13, 2010
This update is KILLING my battery! Just sitting idle I get like 4-5 hours from a full charge. An app called wake lock detector is showing Google Maps as a major culprit, doing a partial wakelock over 500 times in 3 hours! Anybody have this issue as well?

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
This update is KILLING my battery! Just sitting idle I get like 4-5 hours from a full charge. An app called wake lock detector is showing Google Maps as a major culprit, doing a partial wakelock over 500 times in 3 hours! Anybody have this issue as well?

Install greenify and put google maps into hibernation. The beauty of greenify is that you can still use the application normally, but greenify will put it back into hibernation after the application is closed and the screen turns off.

R

redherring79

I am imagining it or did font rendering take a big hit with this update?

NBA Brawler

Aug 20, 2010
I installed the JB update out of sheer curiosity and I must say... This is not like any other update. I am getting VERY smooth performance and decent battery life for the first cycle after a flash. This is very uncharacteristic of a stock release. Since i'm on summer break, I may give this a try for a while. My only dislike so far is the gray notification bar at the top. I wish it was black.

Yeah I wish the notification bar was black and my battery seems like its draining a little faster. Other than that, its fine.

Slavestate

Sep 7, 2010
www.descentrecords.com
Well so far so good. Im still shocked as all hell that AT&T actually paid for and released the Jellybean update! Maybe Samsung got sick of them making their phone look left behind and just sent it to them and said HERE DO IT ALREADY!!

Havent really done much with it yet other then install all my crap on it (one of those rare times the Market actually reinstalled all of the apps I had on it before I wiped it).
I flashed everything but the bootloaders using Mobile Odin Pro, had Odin use Everroot, worked perfect.

I dont see what people mean by the grey notification bar? Mines black and looks just like it always has. Nothing wrong with the font rendering either, my phone looks just about the same as it did running XWLSS only now instead of Samsung apps I have all the ATT stuff. Oh and I lost my nifty ripple ink effect but eh.
I might try to take apart the stuff and see if I can enable the ripple stuff this weekend but last time I went through the tutorial it lost me along the way haha.

Cant comment on the battery life yet. Mines been plugged into my Mac since this morning when I did my nandroid backup of XWLSS and installed the ROM. I just installed BBS, and am about to finally take it off the charger so lets see how that goes!

djorke

May 19, 2008
Nis, Serbia
insane eMMC

Is there anyone with insane eMMC chip like me? I am still using Gingerbread 2.3.4 and would like to try a new flavor. I have never had a guarantee for the phone and because of insane chip in mine i777, I was waiting for brickbug "fix". Is there a need for wipe data / factory reset if you upgrade via Kies as it's a case with Odin? What should be safer: to update to 4.1.2 via Kies or via Odin? BTW phone is rooted and unlocked.

sir_dwtc

Apr 18, 2012
A couple of notes after using this release for a few days:

1) In general, things are actually really good, and quite smooth. Although since my company is planning on updating their Lotus client software next week, I'll probably be going back to CM10.1 at that point. There's just too many things I miss from CM.

2) As someone else mentioned, the "Install from unknown sources" checkbox doesn't seem to exist anymore. I was able to install .apk files just fine from the file explorer (I installed framaroot that way) for a while, but last night I tried to update FDroid, and the installer wouldn't let me click the Install button, even though it showed the button and it wasn't grayed out. Now I'm having the same problem with other .apks. Weird.

3) Google Play Music comes baked into the firmware, but for some reason the Play Store doesn't seem to recognize it as being there, so it hasn't been prompting me for updates. I can install the app from the Play Store, and I get the newer interface so I know it really did update, but yesterday I looked at that app in the Play Store again because I heard there was an update, and it doesn't give me the "Open"/"Uninstall" buttons, or an "Update" button... it gives me the Install button, as if it was never installed. I tried disabling the app from Application Management, then installing it, but then I just ended up with the latest version, but still disabled. I'm going to try removing the app altogether with Titanium Backup, then installing from the Play Store. I'd just like to be able to update it normally along with the rest of my apps (all the other baked-in apps seem to update OK via the Play Store, as far as I've noticed).

Update: When I tried to uninstall Google Play Music using Titanium Backup, it said "Cannot remove system app: Failed to locate the apk file", although it does let me backup the app... I guess I'll just go back to manually updating the app through Play Store, and reinstall from the Play Store whenever I hear about updates (until I can go back to CM10.1)

Last edited:

Wing2468

Jan 12, 2012
2) As someone else mentioned, the "Install from unknown sources" checkbox doesn't seem to exist anymore. I was able to install .apk files just fine from the file explorer (I installed framaroot that way) for a while, but last night I tried to update FDroid, and the installer wouldn't let me click the Install button, even though it showed the button and it wasn't grayed out. Now I'm having the same problem with other .apks. Weird.

IIRC, "Install from unknown sources" shows only when Developer Options has been enabled in JB. Developer Options can only be enabled by hitting the Build Number under About Phone 7 times.

ou812bkewl

Dec 11, 2010
Orange
Is there anyone with insane eMMC chip like me? I am still using Gingerbread 2.3.4 and would like to try a new flavor. I have never had a guarantee for the phone and because of insane chip in mine i777, I was waiting for brickbug "fix". Is there a need for wipe data / factory reset if you upgrade via Kies as it's a case with Odin? What should be safer: to update to 4.1.2 via Kies or via Odin? BTW phone is rooted and unlocked.

My i777 has an EMMC chip that is certified insane by the brickbug checker app. Kies didn't perform a hard reset when doing the upgrade. Since then, I have performed hard resets on stock kernel, rooted and unrooted, through stock recovery and through the backup and restore menus in settings (with and without usb storage formatting).

I understand that the fact my phone is still working don't mean Jack when it comes to brick bug triggering, but I have done a hard reset in every way that can person can perform one. Since then, I have completely filled and cleared my "USB storage". And still have yet to see any issues at all.

With all disclaimers still in effect, of course, it my opinion that the brick bug had been squished.

Kies is always the safest update method, based on my extensive experience with Odin, Heimdall, and Kies. Odin is the ONLY method that has hard bricked me when following all instructions precisely and doing everything right. (That was back when I still had my Samsung Craptivate SGH-i897)

Last edited:
Reactions: djorke

andronald

Feb 10, 2013
I thought Kies was total bogus, because of its memory leak feature. Did it get patched?
EDIT: And I also have a brickbug. It has never bothered me because I have chosen to stay away from AT&T updates completely, since the open source community is (was) 4 years ahead in terms of development for this phone. This does not mean I am not vulnerable to triggering it.
@ou812bkewl - No matter how many times you "wipe a phone", the efs and the firmware based bootloader (unless you REALLY screw up) is not touched by Odin. Which is why the yellow triangle will persist, not matter what boot.img you flash.

Sent from my SGH-i777

Last edited:

Slavestate

Sep 7, 2010
www.descentrecords.com
IIRC, "Install from unknown sources" shows only when Developer Options has been enabled in JB. Developer Options can only be enabled by hitting the Build Number under About Phone 7 times.

When I went to install Better Battery Stats it prompted me to enable it and took me to the dev options like it always does. I didnt have to enable the dev options at all.

Sent from my crack smoking SGH-i777

sir_dwtc

Apr 18, 2012

Developer Options has always been in Settings for me since I installed this AT&T ROM (and I reverted to bone stock before doing the upgrade)... But the unknown sources isn't in there. It never asked me if I want to enable it when I tried to install an .apk, either. It looks like it's enabled with no way to disable it.

ou812bkewl

Dec 11, 2010
Orange
I thought Kies was total bogus, because of its memory leak feature. Did it get patched?
EDIT: And I also have a brickbug. It has never bothered me because I have chosen to stay away from AT&T updates completely, since the open source community is (was) 4 years ahead in terms of development for this phone. This does not mean I am not vulnerable to triggering it.
@ou812bkewl - No matter how many times you "wipe a phone", the efs and the firmware based bootloader (unless you REALLY screw up) is not touched by Odin. Which is why the yellow triangle will persist, not matter what boot.img you flash.

Sent from my SGH-i777

In answering djorke's question, I was only referring to the process of upgrading firmware via USB to a PC on Windows (specifically, Windows 7 64bit on my machine).

My understanding of Odin is that it has the power to do anything to any partition on a device. This includes wiping EFS, repartitioning, flashing primary and secondary boot-loaders and perhaps even more. This is why one of the fixes for the triangle issue include re-flashing boot-loaders with Odin. To my knowledge, MOBILE Odin does not touch boot-loaders, but djorke did not mention that his device is rooted, so I didn't mention that option. Mobile Odin is the best and safest option of upgrading firmware on rooted devices without the need of a computer. It even re-verifies the MD5 to ensure file integrity before beginning the flashing process. I have been the proud owner of the pro version since support for my device was added. Its awesome!!!

The Kies memory leak issues I've seen after searching refer to a Kies background service running on the device itself. I only use Kies for upgrading firmware, not for backup/syncing purposes, so I haven't really looked into it or even heard about it before today.

Reactions: djorke

djorke

May 19, 2008
Nis, Serbia
Last edited:
Reactions: ou812bkewl

andronald

Feb 10, 2013
In answering djorke's question, I was only referring to the process of upgrading firmware via USB to a PC on Windows (specifically, Windows 7 64bit on my machine).

My understanding of Odin is that it has the power to do anything to any partition on a device. This includes wiping EFS, repartitioning, flashing primary and secondary boot-loaders and perhaps even more. This is why one of the fixes for the triangle issue include re-flashing boot-loaders with Odin. To my knowledge, MOBILE Odin does not touch boot-loaders, but djorke did not mention that his device is rooted, so I didn't mention that option. Mobile Odin is the best and safest option of upgrading firmware on rooted devices without the need of a computer. It even re-verifies the MD5 to ensure file integrity before beginning the flashing process. I have been the proud owner of the pro version since support for my device was added. Its awesome!!!

The Kies memory leak issues I've seen after searching refer to a Kies background service running on the device itself. I only use Kies for upgrading firmware, not for backup/syncing purposes, so I haven't really looked into it or even heard about it before today.

When I said " (unless you REALLY screw up)", I meant using a full NAND wipe in Odin. I know it can be done, but it is not that safe.

122ninjas

Jul 26, 2012
Arizona

Turn off any screen filters

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reactions: sir_dwtc

mjz_3348

Jun 16, 2013
Just to be sure ...

I have an ATT Galaxy S2 first generation that I would like to upgrade to Jelly Bean.
Kies won't let me do it. Before I flash using Odin, I just wanted to be sure I have the right firmware and that it will work on this phone.

Currently I have:

PDA: i777UCKj1
Phone: i777UCKj1
CSC: i777ATTKj1

Build info: Thu Oct 6 2011

Is I777UCMD8_I777ATTMD8_I777UCMD8_HOME.tar.md5
the right file to use with ODIN3 to flash the ROM to 4.1.2?

Thanks - Just want to be sure my phone can upgrade to this.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is it fairly easy to root? I think I'll wait for an Odin flashable version before I give it a whirl.

Odin flashable version available in the Download Repository. I may create a stock plus root version sometime in the next week, but I'm too busy for the next couple of days to even think about it. Haven't heard if it can be rooted easily; no one has talked about it. If you're adventurous, you could try Framaroot and let us know.
    Baseband Ver - I777UCMD8
    Radio Software Ver - 8

7amu4u3e.jpg
    can anyone help me please? .. after downloading the firmware upgrade a prompt will pop up and says " failed to run firmware upgrade. unknown error occured. i realy want to upgrade my device . please anyone help me :(

You can flash the stock firmware using Odin, but it isn't exactly the same process as upgrading via Kies, in that you will need to perform a wipe data/factory reset which will mean you will lose all installed applications and user settings.

Loot at this thread from earlier today for the basics, and if you have questions feel free to ask.
    [*]"After recovery has been restarted, go into kernel specific options and Reset ExTweaks profiles"
    [*]"Fix permissions in recovery"
    [/LIST]

Both of those are accomplished in the custom recovery with menu options. I'm not using that kernel, but I would assume that the first one would be under a menu item that is called "kernel specific options" and "Fix Permissions" would be found in the "Advanced" menu. But just look around in recovery after you have rebooted to it, and you will find them.
    Looks like there's a Release Candidate for CM10 for my i777. I'd like to move back to CM from the official 4.1.2 I installed with Kies awhile back (the AT&T / Samsung 4.1.2 has some battery life, and occasional lock-up, issues for me).

I used Creepy's excellent "How to Flash Custom Binaries Without Ever Incrementing the Flash counter!!" instructions to go from the phone's orig Gingerbread to CM9 earlier, and it worked w/o a hitch. Can I just try that with the current ROM ? or do I need to use the "return to stock GB method" before that ? (i.e. are there any issues I should be aware of with getting my i777 with this ROM to state where I can do a CWM flash of CM10 :confused: )

Thanks!

Are you still rooted, or did you lose root when you upgraded to 4.1.2?

If you have root, then you can install Mobile Odin Lite or Mobile Odin Pro and use it to install the AJK kernel that works with stock 4.1.2.

If you don't currently have root, you should be able to root using Framaroot.

After you have the custom kernel with custom recovery, you can then flash your desired firmware.