[Q] SMS won't send. Can receive/send MMS calls and Data

Search This thread

bass0324

Nov 12, 2010
I installed slimkat weekly 3.4 last night (clean flash) from MOAR ROM. So far so good today, still using kernel with slim. All texts have gone through first try. 570 number too and I too had texting issues but I noticed the issues after flashing a unified build. I will continue texting tonight and let everyone know if it is still working tomorrow. Last time I clean flashed AOSP I had the issues come back after a few hours.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

DreamFX

Jan 1, 2011
I installed slimkat weekly 3.4 last night (clean flash) from MOAR ROM. So far so good today, still using kernel with slim. All texts have gone through first try. 570 number too and I too had texting issues but I noticed the issues after flashing a unified build. I will continue texting tonight and let everyone know if it is still working tomorrow. Last time I clean flashed AOSP I had the issues come back after a few hours.

Our issue is different. We could flash any aosp ROM ever built from the beginning of time and we still don't have texting. It's a Verizon issue.

bass0324

Nov 12, 2010
Our issue is different. We could flash any aosp ROM ever built from the beginning of time and we still don't have texting. It's a Verizon issue.

Yes I know, I had that issue, in order to get one single text to go through you would need to toggle airplane mode or reboot. I switch to TW because of that very issue and couldn't stand the interface so I decided to try the new slim with the new notifications (which is pretty cool BTW) and deal with the one text per wireless connection and to my surprise, it is still working. I also believe slim isn't using unified builds right now too, but not sure about that.

S52Stu

Apr 2, 2012
Middletown, PA
Yes I know, I had that issue, in order to get one single text to go through you would need to toggle airplane mode or reboot. I switch to TW because of that very issue and couldn't stand the interface so I decided to try the new slim with the new notifications (which is pretty cool BTW) and deal with the one text per wireless connection and to my surprise, it is still working. I also believe slim isn't using unified builds right now too, but not sure about that.

Issue still is not resolved for me in 717 with slimkats newest weekly release.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

S52Stu

Apr 2, 2012
Middletown, PA
Just curious, did you by chance come from TW or another aosp ROM?

I have been having this issue will all aosp Roms since I flashed the d2lte PA ROM around the 20th of February. This time I did a clean install but was previously on a TW ROM.

bass0324

Nov 12, 2010
I have been having this issue will all aosp Roms since I flashed the d2lte PA ROM around the 20th of February. This time I did a clean install but was previously on a TW ROM.

Yea that was the same time I started having issues. Not sure why but mine seems to be working OK, at least my phone is telling me all my texts going through whereas before they always failed and I would get a notification. Didn't do anything out of the norm to make that happen

S52Stu

Apr 2, 2012
Middletown, PA
Yea that was the same time I started having issues. Not sure why but mine seems to be working OK, at least my phone is telling me all my texts going through whereas before they always failed and I would get a notification. Didn't do anything out of the norm to make that happen

Are you in/on LTE?

bass0324

Nov 12, 2010
Originally Posted by bass0324<br />
Also switched to art, worth a shot I guess<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Oddly enough I sent two texts when I switched to art. Then nothing again. <br />
<br />
Weird, not sure then, I'm still texting with no issues, not sure how that works though

DreamFX

Jan 1, 2011
Oddly enough I sent two texts when I switched to art. Then nothing again.

Art has nothing to do with it. Verizon lte is the cause. But I don't know of a fix. I'm researching every angle though. I will update on this thread on any new developments.

S52Stu

Apr 2, 2012
Middletown, PA
Art has nothing to do with it. Verizon lte is the cause. But I don't know of a fix. I'm researching every angle though. I will update on this thread on any new developments.

Verizon LTE may be the only issue but he is in 570 and texting fine on asop when he described our exact issue before? I hear what your saying, but saying it is IMPOSSIBLE that it is a setting on our phone for a certain area (seeing as I work for a major ISP and know that settings are different in areas across the country) is just ludacris. I believe tests are always worth a shot. I mean no insult.

Reactions: EvoNotion

bass0324

Nov 12, 2010
Verizon LTE may be the only issue but he is in 570 and texting fine on asop when he described our exact issue before? I hear what your saying, but saying it is IMPOSSIBLE that it is a setting on our phone for a certain area (seeing as I work for a major ISP and know that settings are different in areas across the country) is just ludacris. I believe tests are always worth a shot. I mean no insult.

Thank you dex, I am just reporting what i found and am currently experiencing, I spent all of today texting on the latest slimrom without toggling airplane mode and with LTE enabled. I am not sure what it is that is causing me to be able to do so but if there is anything I could get to help you guys out I will gladly try to do so. If I lose texting abilities again at all I will update but 1 day down, hopefully many more to go with no issues.

EvoNotion

Feb 26, 2011
Newville
www.abebrown.com
I'm from 717 as well and I was having thd same problem. Currently however I am traveling to Missouri and when we get there ill flash back to Slim and check and see if the issue followed

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

DreamFX

Jan 1, 2011

Tests are worth a shot if you have reason to believe it may work. That's like mixing water and sand in a bowl and if you keep trying it will eventually turn into a wedding cake. It's impossible. No setting just magically changed for everyone in central pa. I have tried ALL aosp roms from the beginning for my phone even ones that use to work. Before ART was even around and texting no longer works in aosp. I also odined back to stock which would overright your magical setting. Working for an ISP is a whole another ball game than working for a major cell phone company. Besides any one ever call the big C and your light years more knowledgeable than the person who answers? Let's work together for real solutions not amateur ones that are IMPOSSIBLE. Also I don't have an S3.I have a note 2. People have reported this issue with all makes and models.

Last edited:

S52Stu

Apr 2, 2012
Middletown, PA
Tests are worth a shot if you have reason to believe it may work. That's like mixing water and sand in a bowl and if you keep trying it will eventually turn into a wedding cake. It's impossible. No setting just magically changed for everyone in central pa. I have tried ALL aosp roms from the beginning for my phone even ones that use to work. Before ART was even around and texting no longer works in aosp. I also odined back to stock which would overright your magical setting. Working for an ISP is a whole another ball game than working for a major cell phone company. Besides any one ever call the big C and your light years more knowledgeable than the person who answers? Let's work together for real solutions not amateur ones that are IMPOSSIBLE. Also I don't have an S3.I have a note 2. People have reported this issue with all makes and models.

I'm not going to make a spat over this. But did I say I was tech support answering phones? Your right insulting people isn't working together I thought trying possibilities was.

Reactions: DreamFX

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Problem/Symptoms: I've been running a version of last CM10.2 for the past year. On February 20th, I was able to send a single SMS and then subsequent texts failed. I could still receive SMS, send/receive MMS, send/receive calls and send/receive data. If I toggle airplane mode/reboot I can send another SMS and then subsequent sms are undeliverable.

What wont work: Flashing to CM11 does not change the issue.
    Disabling Voice+ does not change the issue
    Factory Reset does not change the issue

Workarounds: Toggle Airplane mode
    Switching Mobile Network to CDMA only (not permanent)
    Change your number to a different area code
    Going back to a Touchwiz based ROM

The Solution

Alright. I think I've refined my process and it results in having a newer radio as well as not having to ODIN things or do dd commands.

NOTE: This isn't fully tested. When I did this, my phone wasn't showing the issue. I did this after doing my original procedure, but the GPS stopped working after I updated the radio from VRALF2 to VRBMB1. You shouldn't need to do the original procedure for this to work, but I haven't tested that. At the very least, the original procedure still works and this one can be used afterward if you need the newer radio. (GSM support...)

Ideally, we'll want to get to a procedure that doesn't use ODIN or dd. Hopefully this is a step in that direction.

Requirements:
    NOTE: Do NOT let the stock ROM install any updates.

1. Starting with my CM11 M3 install, I did a nandroid backup. (Recovery is CWM Touch 6.0.4.5, but I doubt that matters.)
    2. Flash the VRBMB1 AIO.
    3. Wipe data and cache.
    4. Flash the stock ROM.
    5. Boot into the stock ROM.
    6. The reprovisioning seems to happen as a part of ROM's initial boot up.
    7. Send a few text messages to test. (I sent them to Twitter.)
    8. Launch the Maps application, turn on your GPS and let it get a lock. If you don't, when you boot back into your ROM, you probably won't have working GPS.
    9. This would be a good time to back up your IMEI if you haven't already done so.
    10. Reboot into your recovery, wipe data/cache and restore your nandroid backup.

At this point, you'll be running your preferred ROM with a less archaic radio than my previous post.

DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR RADIO. The moment I upgraded my radio, the problem came back!

CM11 M3 will work just fine with the old radio. I've rebooted several times over the last few hours and it still works fine. (Time will tell if it's a long term fix or not.)
    I put a MB1 aoi zip in my dropbox for you. It's from invisblek.org which isn't working now for some reason https://www.dropbox.com/s/7b1aqspo40fxl00/VRBMB1.aio.zip

Notes: There are threads for the S4 with this identical problem. All updated information I have seen is listed above. If anyone knows more please post as I am going to keep this updated. If this does/doesn't work for you please post and let the community know. Feel free to hit the thanks button if it works for you.
    The link for the radio download doesn't work for me. I get a 403 error. Do you perhaps know if registration at rootzwiki is required in order to fetch the file?

I put a MB1 aoi zip in my dropbox for you. It's from invisblek.org which isn't working now for some reason https://www.dropbox.com/s/7b1aqspo40fxl00/VRBMB1.aio.zip
    The OP didn't work for me (I followed the instructions perfectly multiple times and could never send more than one SMS after using the method from the OP), but I read through this entire thread and found a solution that did fix my problem. Sorry I'm not crediting who gave me the idea (I can't remember which member did for sure, but I think it was @net-cat). Here's what solved my SMS issue for two different Verizon S3's - please consider adding to OP as an option if plan A doesn't work:

1. Backup current ROM (CM11 in my case)
    2. In Terminal Emulator - su reboot nvrestore
    3. Battery pull once process completes, as it will bootloop
    4. Boot into recovery, restore nandroid and flash MB1 firmware
    5. Reboot system and profit. No SMS issues for at least 24hrs.

Side note - I had to manually wipe system, cache and dalvik and then install ROM and Gapps to get the next nightly to boot (CMUpdater bootlooped). Successive nightlies have installed and booted as expected. This was an easy and quick fix - I can't believe I didn't think to try this sooner. It's worth a shot if the OP method (much more time intensive) doesn't work or requires more effort than you're willing to put out.
    Alright. I think I've refined my process and it results in having a newer radio as well as not having to ODIN things or do dd commands.

NOTE: This isn't fully tested. When I did this, my phone wasn't showing the issue. I did this after doing my original procedure, but the GPS stopped working after I updated the radio from VRALF2 to VRBMB1. You shouldn't need to do the original procedure for this to work, but I haven't tested that. At the very least, the original procedure still works and this one can be used afterward if you need the newer radio. (GSM support...)

Ideally, we'll want to get to a procedure that doesn't use ODIN or dd. Hopefully this is a step in that direction.

Requirements:
    NOTE: Do NOT let the stock ROM install any updates.

1. Starting with my CM11 M3 install, I did a nandroid backup. (Recovery is CWM Touch 6.0.4.5, but I doubt that matters.)
    2. Flash the VRBMB1 AIO.
    3. Wipe data and cache.
    4. Flash the stock ROM.
    5. Boot into the stock ROM.
    6. The reprovisioning seems to happen as a part of ROM's initial boot up.
    7. Send a few text messages to test. (I sent them to Twitter.)
    8. Launch the Maps application, turn on your GPS and let it get a lock. If you don't, when you boot back into your ROM, you probably won't have working GPS.
    9. This would be a good time to back up your IMEI if you haven't already done so.
    10. Reboot into your recovery, wipe data/cache and restore your nandroid backup.

At this point, you'll be running your preferred ROM with a less archaic radio than my previous post.

DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR RADIO. The moment I upgraded my radio, the problem came back!

CM11 M3 will work just fine with the old radio. I've rebooted several times over the last few hours and it still works fine. (Time will tell if it's a long term fix or not.)