Loox n5x0 series rom update

Search This thread

sp3dev

Jul 11, 2006
Kaluga/Moscow
heh, i`ve researched on the loox n5x0 series (htc maria?) rom format. now we can create custom roms.
Loox n5x0 OS_xxxU.nbf header format
total 42 bytes header, the rest is not crypted os rom image (what we usually call nb0 or n_d)
4 bytes - model name (N500, N520 or N560) + 11 bytes empty (filled with 0x00) +9 bytes version (e.g. 1.22.0001) + 1 byte 0x20 (space) +3 bytes language (e.g. ENG, ITA, GER) + 2 bytes empty (0x0) +4 bytes - reversed crc32 checksum (if we have, for example, 1163FCED, then we write ED FC 63 11) + 4 bytes - size of decrypted part (reversed somehow? we have 2100000 and write 00001002) + 4 bytes - rom base flash address (seems it it 80400000, we type 00 00 04 80, don`t play with it)
all this is true for OS_yyyU.nbf ( yyy means rom version), bootloader nbf is coded otherwise, it is usually named BL_xxx_G3.nbf or bl_xxx_G4.nbf. xxx - bl version. I suppose you delete file bl_xxx_G4.nbf or bl_xxx_G3.nbf. new pda`s come with g4 flash, it will be killed with g3 update. and, anyhow, bootloader update is always dangerous and not recommended.
wait a bit - in some days i`ll post a tutorial how to extract os rom image from n500/n520 and probably n560 pda.

orbb39

Apr 25, 2007
Any news in the N560 area??

I am eager to update the software of my N560... I would like to try the new Windows mobile 6. It's pretty annoying that this really good device cannot be upgraded somehow..

Well, hope to hear something soon..

PS: By the way, you guys are great doing all this stuff ;)

orbb39

Apr 25, 2007
Man that would be awsome!!!

Nice to hear this one!!!
Waiting for the goodie :cool:

Thank you man!!

sp3dev

Jul 11, 2006
Kaluga/Moscow
I would also be very interested in upgrading my N560 to wm6.
I thank you in advance.

Shim

No WM6 yet, but

http://4pda.ru/forum/attach/805977/n560.Alex_DFR_.AKU.3.5.2.rar - here is the rom with aku 3.5.2 for n560

For Loox C550
http://4pda.ru/forum/attach/808633/PocketLOOXC550FlashTool.7z - here is the flasher for c550, download it, download aku3.5.2 for n560, overwrite the files from the n560 update and open OS_213u.nbf with winhex and change n560 to c550

If you have german/french/italian/spanish pda but want to use this update, edit the nbf with winhex and change ENG to FRA/GER/ITA/SPA

Be sure to remove the password (fsc secure lock) before flashing

orbb39

Apr 25, 2007
Does not work!!!

I have a spanish N560 pda. I wanted to upgrade its rom.

I did everything as indicated:

- open pda and put it in the cradle
- connect cradle to the power and the usb to my WinXP laptop
- in my XP machine activesync (4.5 spanish version) connects and recognizes my pda
- check there is no password protection in the pda (there was none before)
- unpack n560.Alex_DFR_.AKU.3.5.2.rar and open with WinHex OS_213U.nbf; change ENG to SPA; save file
- execute PocketLOOX5xxFlashTool; in the end I get this error:

"The language in this Flash Image update () differs from that on your device (SPANISH)!"
:mad: :mad:
Well, I did again and again and again... same error...
Any suggestions??? :confused: :confused:

PS: I would like to put its new rom in english, if it's possible!

Thank you

Robby69

Jun 11, 2007
Hi sp3dev,

your update is quite intersting but I have two questions before I want to flash:
1. is the ROM affected by flashing your image, if flashing fails, can the N560 hard reset to original state?
2. Is there a tool which can fetch a complete image from N560 (with ROM)?

Can you give us a short info how you cook the image?
Where do you get the HW depended drivers (e.g WLAN, display..)?
Do you have any links? I have looked a long time
to find any info about upgrade the N560 or cooking Loox images.

Thanks

kalimotxo

Jun 14, 2007
Stucked

Hi sp3dev and everyone,

I did the upgrade and it went fine, the only thing was that the keyboard was English, I thought there were all in the ROM, and I wanted to get back to the first ROM, so and here comes my problem, I executed

pdocwrite nk.nb0 0 0x2300000

The result of this is that it get stucked at the very first screen, Is there any way to get back? How could I upload a ROM to the N560 in this case?

Thanx

oNNoZeLe

Jun 20, 2007
Landgraaf
I did the upgrade yesterday eve, but i am missing the remote desktop client..

can't seem to find any link.. mtssc or any.. i looked in the windows folder but couldn't find it.

Anyone a hint?

Slairde

Jun 20, 2007
I did the upgrade yesterday eve, but i am missing the remote desktop client..

can't seem to find any link.. mtssc or any.. i looked in the windows folder but couldn't find it.

Anyone a hint?

It's not there due to a bug. Likewise the transcriber does not work and hangs the system.

I suggest waiting until they fix it and upgrade then, if it is vital for you. I will wait for two reasons: it is probably buggy yet (only two known bugs now though), and I am loath to re-install everything from scratch for the next couple of weeks ;)

Besides, people experiment there with pool size (with some trade-off in RAM) which may yield an even faster machine.

Also if you upgrade, you must not use an old (all-)system backup. Just re-install everything single piece of software you use. Note that some software may lose its registration since you will have a *different* PPC with new (and unofficial) ROM.

... and "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" remember? :)

kalimotxo

Jun 14, 2007
AKU 3.5.2

Hi sp3dev,

I thought that in AKU 3.5.2 WPA2 was supported. If I'm right this is supported since AKU 3.5. After upgrade I noticed it wasn't in this release. Is it a mistake? or I'm really wrong.

oNNoZeLe

Jun 20, 2007
Landgraaf
and "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" remember?

True, but i can't rembemer not installing any MS beta ;-)

And if someone posts a wm6 rom here, i won't be the first to try but might be second or third :D

Maybe my intention was to notify but wrote my text wrong.. :confused:

i do like the rom..