GUIDE - Compile latest Dzo's 3.0.8 kernel (Aurora)

Search This thread

fjsferreira

Nov 16, 2009
Ponta Delgada
Xiaomi Mi 11i
i have tryed the new kernel "Make button backlight even brighter" and the lights to turn on must change to autobright, but backlight are brighter...

This is a know bug, Dzo already fixed it today in git, but only in the next Aurora release it will be fixed... it's not kernel related, so no matter what kernel we use, lights only turn on when changing the brightness mode... if we reboot the phone in manual modes, the lights are off again...

Sent from my U8800

Unrealized

Dec 19, 2011
You can use make -jx to speed up the compilation.
ie, if you have 2 cores, use
Code:
make -j3

for 4 use -j5 :)

More about it here

Last edited:
Reactions: fjsferreira

priestx

Aug 31, 2011
Hello,
I'm new to the whole kernel building (in android), but I'd like to build kernel modules (particularly the cifs module) for the latest 3.0.8 (2012/04/11) kernel. Could someone post some info on how to do it?

tmoppa

Jan 11, 2012

fjsferreira

Nov 16, 2009
Ponta Delgada
Xiaomi Mi 11i
This. I would very much appreciate information about these two things.

I'm sorry guys, can't help about this, I know nothing about building specific modules or changing stuff in the kernel without instructions... maybe you could ask dzo directly, he seems to be very helpful regarding these technical stuff (even this guide was based in his instructions)...

May 5, 2011
Bandung
Compiling kernel is fun stuff. The kernel after installed shows Android@localhost, how can i put username@hostname?
Thanks

Yes, it's fun isn't it? :D
That's also one thing I looked into but didn't find an answer anywhere... I know it's possible, for example, ezet's ROM has it like "ezet@u8800", but i don't know how it's done :S

it's according to your host pc name. Open terminal and type this command:
Code:
gksu gedit /etc/hostname

Then change the name to whatever you like and save the file. for example, change it to "myPC"

Next, while command console is still open, type the command below to open the hosts file

Code:
gksu gedit /etc/hosts

Change the name below the localhost. it's should look like this

Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 [B]myPC[/B]

to complete the change and save the file. CMIIW

Reactions: eng.stk

eng.stk

Mar 29, 2011
Google Pixel 4a
OnePlus 9 Pro
it's according to your host pc name. Open terminal and type this command:
Code:
gksu gedit /etc/hostname

Then change the name to whatever you like and save the file. for example, change it to "myPC"

Next, while command console is still open, type the command below to open the hosts file

Code:
gksu gedit /etc/hosts

Change the name below the localhost. it's should look like this

Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 [B]myPC[/B]

to complete the change and save the file. CMIIW

Thanks, but already done this, mmust be some building config, but I can't find it

May 5, 2011
Bandung
Thanks, but already done this, mmust be some building config, but I can't find it

Do you mean config when building kernel? When you've finished compiling your own kernel, it should changed at the information. I have an experience on building kernel and that's my method to change the "info" of "username@localhost" :D

Sent from my U8800 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Blefish

Aug 19, 2011
Compiling kernel is fun stuff. The kernel after installed shows Android@localhost, how can i put username@hostname?
Thanks

On 3.x kernels, do "make menuconfig", move to General setup->Default hostname and set your name. Also, the Local version is good to keep in mind too, for easy version management.

r1c4rd0

Jan 20, 2007
On 3.x kernels, do "make menuconfig", move to General setup->Default hostname and set your name. Also, the Local version is good to keep in mind too, for easy version management.

hi Blefish i think once you have wifi and sim network fixed you should open a thread here in xda abou you CM9 room...

i have allready tryed it and its smooth and working great but no wifi and no network :(
do you have any prevision?
are you using 3.0.8 kernel in CM9?

i apreciate tour work. thanks

Blefish

Aug 19, 2011
hi Blefish i think once you have wifi and sim network fixed you should open a thread here in xda abou you CM9 room...

i have allready tryed it and its smooth and working great but no wifi and no network :(

Yes, but I am using the very latest CAF code, could bring problems but also solve them. I'll open XDA thread once Wi-Fi and RIL is working, though I want to get calling working, so audio and microphone too. Then we'll see :).

Let's keep the thread on topic, don't want this to get derailed too :/.

eng.stk

Mar 29, 2011
Google Pixel 4a
OnePlus 9 Pro

Thanks, it worked partially. I changed Local version string and worked (blue), but the string i used for Default Hostname (red) didn't changed, it stayed Android@localhost plus a #3 that increments every time I compile... any more ideas?

Thanks.

Edit: I'm using Lubuntu 12.04 x64 and used this commands:
Code:
cd ~/kernel_huawei
git pull
git log
export ARCH=arm
export CROSS_COMPILE=/home/stk/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/bin/arm-eabi-
make u8800_defconfig
make menuconfig
make -j3
abootimg -u boot.img -k arch/arm/boot/zImage

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-04-17-21-11-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-17-21-11-05.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:

PaulMilbank

May 1, 2011
Auckland
I think it is to do with a use name in a line in the make file as to what gets displayed there, will try to look tonight or tomorrow.

Sent from my U8800 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, in this guide, we'll build our development environment so we can start compiling aurora's kernel (3.0.8) in ubuntu.

NOTES:

- Every command is to be used in the terminal (Applications-Accessories-Terminal).
    - There are scripts you can use to automate stuff, I'll post them in the second post on this thread.
    - Sorry, I won't guide you on how to install Ubuntu or Android SDK, there are guides on the web all over the place.

1 - First things first, here's what we need:

a) Ubuntu 10.04 LTS x64 (this is recommended by google, it might work in other ubuntu versions, but I didn't tried it). To download it, go to:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/

And select the 64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop CD version. Your processor must support 64bits (most modern ones support it, else, use the x86 iso, not tested though).
    Install ubuntu, you can use dual-boot with windows. I won't post a guide to this, as it's very easy and there are guides all over the net.

b) Install android sdk, to use adb (this is optional, but you really should if you use adb).
    Follow this guide:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=921169
    Note: Eclipse is not needed

c) Install some tools that are needed, like git, compiler stuff etc (this is a single command, copy and paste everythin):

Code:
    sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential zip curl zlib1g-dev libc6-dev lib32ncurses5-dev ia32-libs x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev lib32readline5-dev lib32z-dev libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32 tofrodos python-markdown libxml2-utils xsltproc abootimg

NOTE: If abootimg doesn't install (It didn't for me, for some reason) go in here, download and install the deb package.

d) Install the toolchain (it's a set of tools used to compile the kernel, I think. This takes a while):

Code:
    git clone https://android.googlesource.com/platform/prebuilt

e) Download dzo's kernel from git and set the git branch to "master":

Code:
    git clone https://github.com/dzo/kernel_huawei.git
    git checkout master

2 - Getting to the fun stuff...

a) First, copy the boot.img attached to this post to your /home/kernel_huawei folder.

b) Set up the environment. Do this, in the terminal (must be done for each compilation session, I'll post scripts in the end, to automate this stuff):

Code:
    cd kernel_huawei
    export ARCH=arm
    export CROSS_COMPILE=/home/username/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/bin/arm-eabi-
    make u8800_defconfig

Note, replace /username/ in the third command with your username.

c) Compile. This takes like 10 minutes, depending on your pc:

Code:
    make

TIP - Speedup compilation (thanks to Unrealized)

You can use
    Code:
    make -jx
    to speed up the compilation.
    ie, if you have 2 cores, use
    Code:
    make -j3
    for 4
    Code:
    use -j5

3 - Create the boot.img. If you aren't already in the kernel_huawei folder, do this:

Code:
    cd kernel_huawei

Then:

Code:

After this, the boot.img in your kernel_huawei folder is updated. You can copy that to your phone.

That's it. In the second post, I'll tell you how to check for latest version, check changelogs and scripts to automate stuff.

If you find any errors, please let me know.
    ADDITIONAL STUFF

CHECK FOR UPDATES AND CHANGELOG's

In the terminal:

Code:
    cd kernel_huawei
    git pull
    git log

SCRIPTS

To create a script, create an empty document (no extension), copy the commands and save it. Then right click it, go to "Properties-Permissions" and set it to execute.

To run the script, use the therminal and do:

Code:
    cd /path/to/script/file/
    ./scriptfilename

OR, you can create a shortcut to the script in the panel, for example:

- Right click on the panel and select "Add to panel - Custom application launcher"
    - Then, in type, select "Application in terminal"; give it any name, and then browse to the script file.

To run the script just click in the icon in the panel.

a) Automatically download the latest updated files and see what has changed, without compiling:

Code:
    cd ~/kernel_huawei
    git pull
    git log
    $SHELL

b) Automatically download the latest updated files, immediately compile and create a new boot.img in the kernel_huawei folder:

Code:
    cd ~/kernel_huawei
    git pull
    export ARCH=arm
    export CROSS_COMPILE=/home/username/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/bin/arm-eabi-
    make u8800_defconfig
    make
    $SHELL

In this script, you must change the /username/ in the 4th command to your username.

Installing the kernel on the phone

a) Use adb to put the boot.img, (assuming it is on the kernel_huawei folder) in the phone and reboot the phone:

Code:
    cd kernel_huawei
    adb shell mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /.cust_backup
    adb push boot.img /.cust_backup/image/boot.img
    adb shell mount -o ro,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /.cust_backup
    adb reboot

c) Manual installation:
    - Copy the updated boot.img to your sdcard.
    - Use root explorer (make sure it is set to show hidden files) and copy the boot.img to ./cust_backup/image, replace the original and reboot.

Yes, but I am using the very latest CAF code, could bring problems but also solve them. I'll open XDA thread once Wi-Fi and RIL is working, though I want to get calling working, so audio and microphone too. Then we'll see :).

Let's keep the thread on topic, don't want this to get derailed too :/.
    well i dont get any of that... :\
    can we use your upload with any rom?
    thanks in advance for your replies..

What do you mean? There's no upload here for any ROM... the files here are just for compiling Dzo kernel to use in Aurora... I suggest you ignore this thread if you don't know what this is all about :)

Sent from my U8800
    What do you mean? Deleting kernel_huawei and doing
    Code:
    git clone https://github.com/dzo/kernel_huawei.git
    again? As soon as I do checkout newkernel it fails to compile. Am I using the wrong command to switch branches?

EDIT: Well, I figured it out, kind of.

The reason I was having trouble updating the boot.img after compiling master is because I was using the boot.img attached in the first post. After using a boot.img from a updated Aurora build, it updates correctly. However, the problem with newkernel remains, except that now I can build it and have working telephony/USB/etc (I suppose it was a conflict with the old boot.img). However, it still fails to compile unless I resolve the conflicts manually, which is strange I suppose, but it does work. The OP should update the first post. Thanks for all your help, guys!

There were a few files I forgot to commit, do a "git pull" now and it should compile fine.