IMPORTANT: HTC Dev Unlock for Bootloader Disables Fingerprint Sensor

Search This thread
Nov 29, 2007
Sorry if im posting in the wrong place but i need help, im trying to unlock my bootloader (vrz max) hboot 2.46 with HTCDev and when i put in the token i get a fail message, and it gives me these errors Error Code: 160. Error Reason: MID Not Allowed. What am i doing wrong? Thanks

Wonders_Never_Cease

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 10, 2013
If not mistaken,that means they arent unlocking that specific carriers device...

Sorry if im posting in the wrong place but i need help, im trying to unlock my bootloader (vrz max) hboot 2.46 with HTCDev and when i put in the token i get a fail message, and it gives me these errors Error Code: 160. Error Reason: MID Not Allowed. What am i doing wrong? Thanks

Reactions: pradeepvizz

lssong99

Jul 15, 2005
Don't know why but I just cannot go S-Off with the 0.5 rumrunner.... Guess need to stay at unlocked and tempered for a whiled.

However, I think it's possible to activate the fingerprint scanner by XPosed module... Just disable the check on lock state could be the answer...

Anyone with right knowledge can do this for us?

Reactions: pradeepvizz

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
Don't know why but I just cannot go S-Off with the 0.5 rumrunner.... Guess need to stay at unlocked and tempered for a whiled.

However, I think it's possible to activate the fingerprint scanner by XPosed module... Just disable the check on lock state could be the answer...

Anyone with right knowledge can do this for us?

i have been thinking of it.. logically, yes that what we need to do. Do you know an xposed Module which does that?

i was also wondering what command exactly the fingerprint code is using and i don't have any methods to find other than decrypting the code.. thats going to take lot of time

lssong99

Jul 15, 2005
i have been thinking of it.. logically, yes that what we need to do. Do you know an xposed Module which does that?

i was also wondering what command exactly the fingerprint code is using and i don't have any methods to find other than decrypting the code.. thats going to take lot of time

Actually I had published a small Xposed module myself to remove the ugly NFC logo on the status bar... so I know this will work but don't have time to do it... We need backsamli the finger print sensor related apk to find where it check for unlock (Maybe by searching for the strings indicating an unlocked BL, I remember seeing it somewhere as "HTCU" or similar), then use XPosed framework to override the checking method...

Not super complex but requires some time and patience....

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
Actually I had published a small Xposed module myself to remove the ugly NFC logo on the status bar... so I know this will work but don't have time to do it... We need backsamli the finger print sensor related apk to find where it check for unlock (Maybe by searching for the strings indicating an unlocked BL, I remember seeing it somewhere as "HTCU" or similar), then use XPosed framework to override the checking method...

Where do you expect the code to be ? framework apk ? or common.jar ?

jmz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
You know what I would try? Being unlocked and remove or rename /system/bin/hcheck

Myself and beaups found this to be the issue with the msm8930 line being stuck in a boot loop with s-off and BL unlock. They might have tied into the same methods of checking for this

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Namolas

Feb 6, 2009
Vancouver
You know what I would try? Being unlocked and remove or rename /system/bin/hcheck

Myself and beaups found this to be the issue with the msm8930 line being stuck in a boot loop with s-off and BL unlock. They might have tied into the same methods of checking for this

Thanks for the idea. I tried it and it didn't work. First verified that my fingerprint reader was not working (as expected) and reboot. Then tried renaming hboot and rebooting again but it still fails on the 4th swipe. Then I tried deleting hcheck completely and rebooting but it still fails on the 4th swipe. Tried swiping both methods 3 times.

jmz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Thanks for the idea. I tried it and it didn't work. First verified that my fingerprint reader was not working (as expected) and reboot. Then tried renaming hboot and rebooting again but it still fails on the 4th swipe. Then I tried deleting hcheck completely and rebooting but it still fails on the 4th swipe. Tried swiping both methods 3 times.

Can you get a dmesg and logcat from a fresh boot and failed swipe

Namolas

Feb 6, 2009
Vancouver

I would be happy to, however I've been trying to for the last hour and when I type adb logcat in the command window there are 1,000's of lines scrolling across the window and it never really stops and seems to be overwriting itself as it goes. How can I make sure I capture the relevant information for you and what would be the easiest method to deliver it to you?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE 11/25/2013 - scotty1223 posted a method by which you can change your UNLOCKED flag back to LOCKED which then re-enables the fingerprint senser. I'd recommend to just avoid HTCDev.com for unlocking and go straight to this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540004

On a personal note:
    It makes sense really. Your fingerprint is like a unique password that you cannot change so HTC is doing everything prudent to protect that password for you. I don't see a problem with this personally.

On a technical note:
    I believe the TZ partition (mmcblk0p11) has a check for whether the device is LOCKED, UNLOCKED, or RELOCKED. If it is anything other than LOCKED then the fingerprint scanner is automatically disabled.

I believe there are two possible ways to re-enable the fingerprint scanner:
    1. Issue the command fastboot oem lock from the bootloader then run a factory RUU for your carrier
    2. Hex edit the TZ partition to remove the unlock check, then fastboot oem lock and subsequently unlock the device again
    The first method would most likely require that you also flash the stock recovery from fastboot before relocking.
    The second method would require S-OFF to function as it is very unlikely that mmcblk0p11 is writable with S-ON.

I am by no means an expert with HBOOT or TZ so I may be way off base here, but that's how I see it right now. I'll see if I can get a warning posted in the threads about the fact that unlocking the bootloader with HTC Dev method will disable the fingerprint scanner.

Than post the commands, please.

oh well, All credits to @scotty1223

My phone is a T6UL, I had provided the dump of my partitions to Scotty, which the dev worked on.

The commands that worked for me is the same as

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2477792

and

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2475914

i would suggest to hold on to your patience till Scotty makes a thread, just in case.

standard disclaimer : this might brick your phone, me nor scotty would not be responsible.