[GUIDE] How to Get Free Wifi Tether on Droid Bionic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Protocol 7

Oct 27, 2010
New York City
ipwnage.com
So I'm trying to edit the SQLite databse; but I don't have the SQLite editor; instead I have Root Explorer which also has an SQLite editor. I've looked everywhere and no dice.

Can someone point me to the folder direction this application is in? I've tried looking in every folder in /system and /data.

Many thanks.

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I guess people aren't really understanding that this is completely trackable on VZW's network now despite the entitlement check being removed on the Hotspot app.

I strongly recommend extreme caution doing this until everything on the network side is better understood. The Hotspot app is using the tethered NAI when it connects so it is plainly visible to the network.

wseyller

Nov 23, 2009
Try rebooting your computer or try connecting with another wifi device, sometimes its the computer that's not connecting.

Same here. I tried to set it as 192.168.22.2

I tried connecting a Droid 1 and a Samsung Fasicinate. It tries to obtain an ip address and just fails.

I also tried to connect my Wii but when it does the connection test it fails.

Teewalk200

Dec 17, 2010
i heard verizon can charge ur acct for wifi hot spot ..is this true when using the bi pass on rooted phone bc i never signed up but i heard u can get charged per mb

unclerunkle

Sep 12, 2011
I guess people aren't really understanding that this is completely trackable on VZW's network now despite the entitlement check being removed on the Hotspot app.

I strongly recommend extreme caution doing this until everything on the network side is better understood. The Hotspot app is using the tethered NAI when it connects so it is plainly visible to the network.

I hear ya. Waiting this one out.

Also, can you tell me if this applies to both 3G and 4G networks?

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Yes, both. The phone uses a completely new authentication protocol than 3G devices with new strings. The set of NV items from the original hack are now entirely ignored and contain incorrect data.

The NAI is now XXXXXXXXXX@vzims.com where Xs are your MDN or 10 digit number.

The Tethered NAI is now XXXXXXXXXX@dun.vzw3g.com but the Xs are now the true IMSI rather than the MDN as previous.

So, not only are the strings themselves different but they are composed of different component elements from the NVM and cannot be edited because they are overridden by the SIM.

All of this taken together means the authentication is extremely difficult to modify and if you were to do so somehow, would very likely break data services completely.

Protocol 7

Oct 27, 2010
New York City
ipwnage.com
The WiFi tethering application worked on my OG Droid all the time. Question for you all: Was Verizon able to tell I was using a tethering application? If anything, if I tethered, I noticed after 5-10 minutes of browsing that my 3G kept getting kicked for a few seconds every time I tried loading something.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda premium

chetqwerty

Jan 10, 2009
Yes, both. The phone uses a completely new authentication protocol than 3G devices with new strings. The set of NV items from the original hack are now entirely ignored and contain incorrect data.

The Tethered NAI is now XXXXXXXXXX@dun.vzw3g.com but the Xs are now the true IMSI rather than the MDN as previous.

So, not only are the strings themselves different but they are composed of different component elements from the NVM and cannot be edited because they are overridden by the SIM.

All of this taken together means the authentication is extremely difficult to modify and if you were to do so somehow, would very likely break data services completely.

Sooo.... why not play it safe and switch to a 3G connection before you start to tether? Wont that make the old method work?

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Sooo.... why not play it safe and switch to a 3G connection before you start to tether? Wont that make the old method work?

Nooooo...it won't. As I explained in that quoted post...the authentication has changed for all data services, CDMA1X/EvDO and LTE.

Nobody wants to hear this...this does not work anymore and we need to look at other methods.

Reactions: zedomax

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
Nooooo...it won't. As I explained in that quoted post...the authentication has changed for all data services, CDMA1X/EvDO and LTE.

Nobody wants to hear this...this does not work anymore and we need to look at other methods.
i appreciate ur work now cellzealot, thx for tellin the truth, sorry i thought u were a troller, i though u were bsin me at first. but yes, plz keep the hacking going.

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
i appreciate ur work now cellzealot, thx for tellin the truth, sorry i thought u were a troller, i though u were bsin me at first. but yes, plz keep the hacking going.
Probably want to edit your OP again and explain why this doesn't work and may cost you a bundle if you try it...eh?

This is for all LTE devices. They are very serious about this issue.

Presenting it as no big deal and something you are entitled to is wrong and simplistic.

Believing it should be allowed and included is one thing, and advocating responsible use of it is another. Understanding how it actually works is yet another.

vmspionage

Jun 5, 2008

with all due respect, I have a few questions:
  1. By what mechanism is the NAI overridden by the SIM? It doesn't appear that the MDM6600 nor the LTE baseband processor has a physical link (unconfirmed, but package placement suggests this). Is this simply the VZW hotspot application's behavior to read the IMSI from the sim and supply the NAI to the radio?
  2. How are you verifying which NAI is being sent by the VZW hotspot application?

edit: couldn't find a MDM6600 datasheet but I've been reading up on the MSM6500 to figure out what this chipset is capable of. It seems even the MSM6500 had configurable multi-purpose pins which could be configured to interface with a SIM, so one could speculate that the MDM6600 is reading the IMSI directly from the SIM and providing the authentication (which would make sense- if you could edit the value in the OS it would defeat the purpose of the SIM). Even if this were the case there still must be a way that the OS tells the chipset what sort of connection is being made, be it tether or on-device, and that can certainly be attacked. I'm going to dump some of the system files this week and see what I can't come up with.

It would be really nice if I had a second device for testing, and a method to figure out what NAI is being sent.

Last edited:

rexboe

Sep 22, 2010
I tried this method an it did not work for me. I can connect but it is with limited connectivity,no internet access, I tried restarting phone I tried changing to 192.168.22.2 and no luck. I appreciate everyone working on getting us wifi tethering I am sure someone will get a work around for us. I did not use the radio comm method so I don't know if it would work if I did that but am a little afraid of using radio comm without having a sbf or other way to return a bricked phone.

Last edited:

anthonydel79

Dec 23, 2008
Seems like we're missing a step here? After I click on "Settings.db" it gives me a list of things to choose from. Which one do I choose and then set the filter to look for Entitlement Check. I've actually tried all of them ( I think there are about 5 different options) and none of them seem to have entitlement check listed.

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

Seems like we're missing a step here? After I click on "Settings.db" it gives me a list of things to choose from. Which one do I choose and then set the filter to look for Entitlement Check. I've actually tried all of them ( I think there are about 5 different options) and none of them seem to have entitlement check listed.

vmspionage

Jun 5, 2008

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

Make sure you clicked the right Settings Storage icon, there are two of them. After that click settings then set the filter, then change the value and restart like in the directions. There is no missing step. Let us know what you next bill looks like. :)

Reactions: anthonydel79
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, here's a way you can get FREE wifi tethering/mobile hotspot on your Droid Bionic so you don't have to pay Verizon twice for the same internet you are already paying for. I don't know why Verizon would block this feature especially when you consider that there's a 2GB cap on your mobile internet usage anyways.

<MOD EDIT>
    If you are going to advise people to use Radiocomm, you need to have a lot better instructions and be a lot more clear about what exactly you are changing and the danger of using a powerful and extremely dangerous app like RadioComm.
    You also need to understand that the radio NVM of a SIM based LTE device like the Bionic is overridden by the authentication protocols on the SIM. Even if you change the NV items as per your very poorly executed instructions, they are ignored by the SIM and will not be used for authentication.

It's really important to understand how these things work properly before rushing into putting up guides and videos and telling people it's safe to do.

The proper MA chipset base for the Bionic and the Droid 3 is Common/MDM6x00 not MSM7500 as you stated. The correct tab for the STELEM/RDELEM module will then be P2K4.

Not to rain on your picnic, but RadioComm is a very dangerous program and clarity and explicit warnings and instructions are required to avoid a lot of people destroying there phones.
    MODERATOR MESSAGE

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED TEMPORARILY!

The title and OP of this thread really needs to be changed or the thread needs to be deleted. Otherwise people will just read the OP, try this and get screwed.

Unfortunately, there is some good discussion in this thread and some valuable information conveyed as well as a few hard knocks lessons about rushing into posting up guides containing poorly researched methods.

It's up to everyone who posts here to uphold the standards for the knowledge base on xda or anywhere else for that matter.

It's not about attracting attention to yourself and Donate to Me buttons.
    :cool:
    So tethering was not working for me using the prescribed method. I couldn't get an IP address assigned to devices that I connected. So I changed s few more values in the settings.db file and was able to enable tethering using the mobile tethering app. Don't know how Verizon will monitor, dont know any legal ramifications, or how this will be handled by Verizon (monitored or tracked, as I just got it working now).... So try it at your own risk i guess if you had the same trouble as me and sorry if this was mentioned before..

using SQL editor:
    AP_ENABLE. = 1
    Entitlement_check = 0
    After that was changed I wasnt getting a DHCP ip address properly assigned to connected devices...
    It wasn't until I changed the
    tether_reverse_nat_enabled = 1

And now I'm able to submit this from my iPad tethered to my bionic :)