[RECOVERY] Patched TWRP recovery with adb working **UPDATE 10/4/14

Search This thread

miked63017

Jan 30, 2011
St Louis
As always, you are responsible for your phone, and its warranty

I built this recovery because adb was not working in the official. I have submitted all my changes and I am sure this will be fixed shortly but until then I will put this here. Bassically I compiled the stock ND2 kernel with some small modifications and rebuilt the recovery.img with that. everything else should be exactly the same but honestly I did not test everything so please feel free to let me know.

***UPDATE 10/4/14***
Created version thats branded as kltespr, did this so CM11 is now able to auto update without modifying the CM package. Also, ADB still works. If anybody knows how to reduce the size of this image, please let me know since it is a little larger than the stock TWRP. Also built an image from the 2.8.0.1 base, which seems to have the same kernel from my original build to enable ADB, all I added here was the mod to kltespr so CM can update.

Use dd to install these images:

Newest Link 10/4/2014, working ADB and branded as kltespr so CM11 auto updates work:
Working ADB and tagged kltespr so CM11 auto updates work
Same as above but built from version 2.8.0.1 of TWRP

---Below here are all klte with working ADB, but CM11 fails to auto update complaining of wrong device---
Here is the link:
miked63017-openrecovery-twrp.img

Or try to grab it from my drive:

Use odin to install this:
miked63017-openrecovery-twrp.tar.md5

Kernel Source Used:
https://github.com/miked63017/SM-G900P_ND2_KERNEL

Last edited:

talroot

May 20, 2013
Hello, used to be HTC so I'm new to the Samsung thing. TWRP was the recommended recovery for the HTC devices. Is this recommended over the CWM recovery?

Thanks

Reactions: hebejebe

sleshepic

Inactive Recognized Themer
Oct 18, 2011
PA
Just saw this now, hope it can help with my mount/odex issues. Didnt have adb via recovery as an option before, looking forward to trying this. Thx mike

miked63017

Jan 30, 2011
St Louis
Just saw this now, hope it can help with my mount/odex issues. Didnt have adb via recovery as an option before, looking forward to trying this. Thx mike

Yeah its been handy. The kernel is huge though, do you mind if I pull in some of your commits to bring the size down?

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app

sleshepic

Oct 18, 2011
PA
Yeah its been handy. The kernel is huge though, do you mind if I pull in some of your commits to bring the size down?

My commits up there now wont help with that, I didnt push my defconfig.
You can easily change the compression and logging (less of a size diff) in either the defconfig in .../configs or through

$ menuconfig

prior to build

sleshepic

Oct 18, 2011
PA
Just DL'd, says it's a Winzip file but my WinZip won't extract it.
Is it meant to be a .tar or Zip file?

thx

miked63017

Jan 30, 2011
St Louis
Just DL'd, says it's a Winzip file but my WinZip won't extract it.
Is it meant to be a .tar or Zip file?

thx

Its a flashable zip. I never use winzip so I'm not sure if it should be able to be extracted with it. I think its technically a 7zip zip file in windows, linux I just run 'unzip $FILENAME'. The google drive link is probably the most reliable, maybe try that one if you haven't already. If there are still problems I can re-upload, just let me know.

**UPDATE**

I take that back I only uploaded the recovery.img, I flash it with dd after putting it in /sdcard/

Code:
dd if=/sdcard/miked63017-openrecovery-twrp.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

Or if you just want to see whats in it, you can extract it like a normal boot.img.

Will try to put up a zip and/or tar tomorrow, honestly I thought they would have had an official one with adb working by now.

Last edited:

vinman12

Dec 28, 2011
Ok with patched twrp I get this after flashing rom

Goes to boot into android, and keeps throwing up "unfortunately, SAE has stopped"

I belive that to be binary problem, is this correct and how to solve

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

miked63017

Jan 30, 2011
St Louis
Ok with patched twrp I get this after flashing rom

Goes to boot into android, and keeps throwing up "unfortunately, SAE has stopped"

I belive that to be binary problem, is this correct and how to solve

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Haven't seen this before, what rom are you flashing?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As always, you are responsible for your phone, and its warranty

I built this recovery because adb was not working in the official. I have submitted all my changes and I am sure this will be fixed shortly but until then I will put this here. Bassically I compiled the stock ND2 kernel with some small modifications and rebuilt the recovery.img with that. everything else should be exactly the same but honestly I did not test everything so please feel free to let me know.

***UPDATE 10/4/14***
    Created version thats branded as kltespr, did this so CM11 is now able to auto update without modifying the CM package. Also, ADB still works. If anybody knows how to reduce the size of this image, please let me know since it is a little larger than the stock TWRP. Also built an image from the 2.8.0.1 base, which seems to have the same kernel from my original build to enable ADB, all I added here was the mod to kltespr so CM can update.

Use dd to install these images:

Newest Link 10/4/2014, working ADB and branded as kltespr so CM11 auto updates work:
    Working ADB and tagged kltespr so CM11 auto updates work
    Same as above but built from version 2.8.0.1 of TWRP

---Below here are all klte with working ADB, but CM11 fails to auto update complaining of wrong device---
    Here is the link:

Or try to grab it from my drive:

Use odin to install this:
    miked63017-openrecovery-twrp.tar.md5

Kernel Source Used:
    https://github.com/miked63017/SM-G900P_ND2_KERNEL
    Just got a test image from twrp, download should be up as official soon...

Sent from my SM-G900P using xda app-developers app
    Flashable zips of the 10/4/14 files from the OP.
    Confirmed they are working. Have not tested backup & restore.
    I see that you fixed this a few posts later. I am experiencing the same thing and not sure what to do.

I was going to flash a new ROM. Backed up and then wiped, and on reboot I am getting this "unfortunately, SAE has stopped" error. Not sure how to get rid of it.

I am very inexperienced and not a developer so I really am not sure what you did to fix it reading your follow up posts. Any help please?
    This is a fairly old release and TWRP is no longer compatible with the latest NE5 build unless you are running v2.8.0.1 which is here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2727406

Now, with this latest release a certain amount of users are reporting issues with backing up to external SD (TWRP folder appears blank in file explorers but the files are really there). Personally, I have not had this issue so I'm not sure what's going on yet and if its SD card related or what.

If you really want dependable backups and restores, I still recommend Philz Recovery. It has zero issues. However, I still use TWRP for flashing roms, mods updates and such because I prefer the nice touch interface and Philz touch interface is a little flakey for me for constant everyday use.

You can download any of these current recoveries from my hosted file server here:
    KLTE Recoveries

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Saw you edited while I was going on and on. Glad you got it worked out.
    Still, some good info to know about TWRP and the latest NE5 build we are using on the Sprint Galaxy S5.
    Hey Mike TWRP updated official not sure if adb working I haven't tried it yet.. Thanks!

What's new in 2.7.1.0:

Add GUI option to change or repair file systems on individual partitions. The change is destructive so backup your data including internal sdcard first. This option should make it a little easier to migrate a device from ext4 -> f2fs, for instance. You will find this option under Wipe -> Advanced Wipe, then select only one partition and then press the Repair or Change File System button. If a developer has added f2fs support for your device and we don't have it in TWRP, please contact me via PM to arrange for it to be added.
    Various bugfixes to backup and restore
    Improvements to USB storage handling
    Added a class to search for files to make finding the correct brightness file automatic in most cases
    Various other bugfixes and tweaks