Help - Stuck in Bootloop

Search This thread

gorilla p

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2011
STL
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
The point in which everything took a turn for the worst was while trying to update firmware via SD update method. At which point it just stayed on android boot screen.
Recovery was broken at this point
I successfully flashed an older CWM version, but that was useless for reflashing the latest Asus firmware.
I tried flashing stock recovery again and it appeared to succeed, but now when I try to boot to recovery, it just goes back to bootloop.
I'm trying to flash the US version now via fastboot I get bootloop again and I'm getting weird errors every time I try regarding filesize. (See below)
I tried flashing CROMbi as well and it went through the install process successfully, but that resulted in bootloop as well.
Tried flashing Asus US firmware again without success,
Kind of pissed that this all started when following the instructions on the Asus site to upgrade to their latest firmware via SD card.

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash system
asusus.zip
target reported max download size of 643825664 bytes
Invalid sparse file format at header magi
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 425021387 is not a multiple of t
he block size 4096
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [  1.457s]
sending sparse 'system' (628732 KB)...
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 425021387 is not a multiple of t
he block size 4096
he block size 4096
OKAY [ 86.837s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 17.080s]
sending sparse 'system' (415060 KB)...
OKAY [ 57.305s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 11.353s]
finished. total time: 174.042s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.021s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>

gorilla p

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2011
STL
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Last time something like this happened, I had to wipe everything and reflash. so I did the following.

fastboot -i 0x0b05 erase boot
fastboot -i 0x0b05 erase cache
fastboot -i 0x0b05 erase userdata
fastboot -i 0x0b05 erase recovery
fastboot -i 0x0b05 erase staging
fastboot -i 0x0b05 erase system

and now I get a bootloader error on startup

I was able to successfully flash CWM 6037 again. I tried newer ones, but 6037 is the only one that will work.
Stock firmware from custom recovery fails every time. "Installing update... Installation aborted."
Crombi installer goes through without any problems. but just never boots once completed.

I tried installing the latest Cyanogen Nightly and got the following error "This package is for tF701T devices; this is a K00C."
But the K00C is a TF701T

After installing CROMbi again, I'm no longer getting the bootloader error in red letters, but I am still bootlooping.
When crombi installer completes I do get one error at the very end. "set_metadata_recursive:some changes failed".
I looked at the log and it says Cant partition non-vfat datamedia.

Does bootloop after apparently successful fstboot flash have anythignt o do with why in the FAW's ASUS recommends ignoring the software update for 4.3? Afterall this is what put me in this situation.

Last edited:

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
The SD update is designed to work with the stock recovery. What made you think it would work with CWM?

The only successful recovery from a similar situation I remember is the following (and I'm quoting from memory here - it's too late here for me to find the thread, but it is somewhere here in this forum - search for it.

Download the stock recovery to your fastboot folder from here: http://droidbasement.com/db-blog/?p=3210
Also download the 10.26.1.18 firmware, unzip it once, put it on a microSD and insert into tablet.
Enter fastboot mode
Issue:
Code:
fastboot [b]boot[/b] recovery.img

Note: You do not flash the recovery, you boot it!
The recovery should recognize the firmware on the microSD and start to flash it.

If that is successful, you would have stock recovery and firmware again.
Then download the latest firmware, unzip it, put into microSD or internal and the stock recovery should flash it.
Good luck!

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

gorilla p

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2011
STL
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
The SD update is designed to work with the stock recovery. What made you think it would work with CWM?

The only successful recovery from a similar situation I remember is the following (and I'm quoting from memory here - it's too late here for me to find the thread, but it is somewhere here in this forum - search for it.

Download the stock recovery to your fastboot folder from here: http://droidbasement.com/db-blog/?p=3210
Also download the 10.26.1.18 firmware, unzip it once, put it on a microSD and insert into tablet.
Enter fastboot mode
Issue:
Code:
fastboot [b]boot[/b] recovery.img

Note: You do not flash the recovery, you boot it!
The recovery should recognize the firmware on the microSD and start to flash it.

If that is successful, you would have stock recovery and firmware again.
Then download the latest firmware, unzip it, put into microSD or internal and the stock recovery should flash it.
Good luck!

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

The attempted SD update was done with custom recovery as I couldn't get stock recovery to work after the initial SD update with stock recovery.
Thanks for the info. I'll update.

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Last time something like this happened, I had to wipe everything and reflash. so I did the following.

fastboot -i 0x0b05 erase boot
fastboot -i 0x0b05 erase cache
fastboot -i 0x0b05 erase userdata
fastboot -i 0x0b05 erase recovery
fastboot -i 0x0b05 erase staging
fastboot -i 0x0b05 erase system

and now I get a bootloader error on startup

I was able to successfully flash CWM 6037 again. I tried newer ones, but 6037 is the only one that will work.
Stock firmware from custom recovery fails every time. "Installing update... Installation aborted."
Crombi installer goes through without any problems. but just never boots once completed.

I tried installing the latest Cyanogen Nightly and got the following error "This package is for tF701T devices; this is a K00C."
But the K00C is a TF701T

After installing CROMbi again, I'm no longer getting the bootloader error in red letters, but I am still bootlooping.
When crombi installer completes I do get one error at the very end. "set_metadata_recursive:some changes failed".
I looked at the log and it says Cant partition non-vfat datamedia.

Does bootloop after apparently successful fstboot flash have anythignt o do with why in the FAW's ASUS recommends ignoring the software update for 4.3? Afterall this is what put me in this situation.

That error message means that your internal sdcard is no t available to format. Erasing all partitions is a dangerous thing to do.

The only way you will get back to normal is to try and flash the stock asus rom now as that will recreate everything. I recommend you start with the 4.2.2 one - need to flash it over fastboot - I can't see anything else working as you have erased it all.....

Also you used 0x0b05 which is the code for the last generation of transformers..... You don't need it for the TF701 but not sure if that has caused additional grief now. Probably not but you never know .....

Last edited:

gorilla p

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2011
STL
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Yeah IO'm getting the same issue that I was having before. I tried both the 4.3 and 4.2 boot.img and the recommended recovery.img file. Each time I ran
fasboot boot recovery.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 1.121s]
booting...
OKAY [ 0.032s]
finished. total time: 1.157s
booting from downloaded boot.img (on tablet)
Then it goes to boot into the image and...bootloop.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot\asus>fastboot flash system asus4
22.zip
target reported max download size of 643825664 bytes
Invalid sparse file format at header magi
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 346827884 is not a multiple of t
he block size 4096
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [ 1.515s]
sending sparse 'system' (628732 KB)...
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 346827884 is not a multiple of t
he block size 4096
he block size 4096
OKAY [ 86.861s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 17.098s]
sending sparse 'system' (338700 KB)...
OKAY [ 46.823s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 9.280s]
finished. total time: 161.586s

Bootloop...

Could the inability to flash or boot from stock recovery have anything to do with the CWM recovery protection?

Last edited:

gorilla p

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2011
STL
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Well after those attempts it's totally shot.
Now I can't even get to fastboot. Every reboot results in "Unrecoverable bootloader error..."

Files RMA. Returned.
Moral of story. Don't do anything on a Tegra device without previous documentation that doesn't have NVFlash available.

Last edited: