HTC Homeplug Weather fix - get your LOCAL weather! [New universal patch uploaded!]

Search This thread

lembowski

Aug 6, 2007
Ok I tried the first method without success. Now I've moved onto the second method. I've noted below

Step by step guide - MANUAL POCKET HOSTS METHOD:

1. Download Pocket Hosts if you don't have it already, and install it to your device. done
2. Run Pocket Hosts on your device. done
3. Add the following entry: Host name: htc.accuweather.com, IP address: 64.62.158.108 (or your own server IP) done
4. Disable the HTC Home plugin from Settings -> Today -> Items. done
5. If you haven't already, enter your local code into \WINDOWS\HH_0409_WeatherCities.xml (or corresponding localized file). It will also accept ZIP codes, as well as the EUR|UK|UK001|MANCHESTER type format. (See below) how do i edit this? can't find a way to do it from the phone or through activesync
6. Re-enable the Today plugin from Settings -> Today -> Items.
7. Choose your local area by going to the weather tab, and clicking on the bar below "Weather". Choose your local town/city from the list which you inputted, and press the left softkey for Select. no cities in drop down list.....
8. Enjoy!

Any suggestions guys?

WarezAppz

Jun 18, 2006
Columbus, OH
I used the first method

Let me start by saying: I'm using a T-Mobile Wing. I used the first method with the 6 tab patched HTC Home Plug
and I get:

7. Choose your local area by going to the weather tab, and clicking on the bar below "Weather". Choose your local town/city from the list which you inputted, and press the left softkey for Select. no cities in drop down list.....

I followed the directions exactly - any reasons for this that I might be over-looking?

keirmeister

Oct 22, 2006
I think, at least from what I've seen, is that T-Mobile USA will NOT work at all if you're using the $5.99 data plan (with proxy).

Can anybody prove this wrong?

Anybody...please!

RecklessEnd

Jun 17, 2007
Let me start by saying: I'm using a T-Mobile Wing. I used the first method with the 6 tab patched HTC Home Plug
and I get:

I followed the directions exactly - any reasons for this that I might be over-looking?

I have the same problem. Edit the XML, and now cities no longer show up in the Weather selection.

So I just edited the Registery and changed the city there to be what I wanted. Worked like a champ.

I still can't select other cities, but I got weather for the city I cared about.

rglasener

Jul 10, 2007
Weather fix

I have done the following
Step by step guide - CABINET INSTALL - WILL WORK ON PROXIED CONNECTIONS! Recommended for most users

1. If you haven't already got it on your phone, copy the SdkCerts.cab file to your device, and run directly on the device.
2. Uninstall existing HTC Home plugins where possible. If it's in your ROM, don't worry about it, it should overwrite it.
3. Download and install the appropriate patched home plugin from the attachments below. (3, 5 or 6 tab)

Works great. only problem, I now have a duplicate set of icons - one set in HTCHOME and the other in Windows. Can't seem to get rid of the ones in Windows. Would be nice to only have one set of icons

Thanks

WarezAppz

Jun 18, 2006
Columbus, OH
I have the same problem. Edit the XML, and now cities no longer show up in the Weather selection.

So I just edited the Registery and changed the city there to be what I wanted. Worked like a champ.

I still can't select other cities, but I got weather for the city I cared about.

Very good idea, surprised i didn't think of that . .

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home . . . .

*UPDATE*

This worked in making it at least try to proxy out - I will now have to try the 2nd method of manually config'ing it to proxy out. I will keep you updated (someone above listed they didn't think T-Mobile USA would work, being that I use T-Mobile USA I will confirm or deny this).

UPDATE *again*

OK, I never uninstalled the original patched 6 tab HTCHOME plug (I don't know where to find a non-patched 6 tab HTC Homeplug) so I suppose this is why the manual method isn't working either - any suggestions on whether that is the case or not, and if so, then where to find the unpatched 6 tab plug?

Last edited:

lembowski

Aug 6, 2007

How do you this? I can't edit it. I go to windows/hh_0409_weathercities.xml

It pulls up a screen that says:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
-<locations>
<city name="summit,il" loca="60501" land="usa"/>
<city name="san diego" loca="92110" land="usa"/>
</locations>

Menu/edit doesn't allow me to edit anything. How do I change the registry?

WarezAppz

Jun 18, 2006
Columbus, OH
How do you this? I can't edit it. I go to windows/hh_0409_weathercities.xml

It pulls up a screen that says:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
-<locations>
<city name="summit,il" loca="60501" land="usa"/>
<city name="san diego" loca="92110" land="usa"/>
</locations>

Menu/edit doesn't allow me to edit anything. How do I change the registry?

Copy the file off of your device and put it on your PC - the open and edit the xml file with Notepad, then copy back. Problem solved.

Hope that helps.

lembowski

Aug 6, 2007
Copy the file off of your device and put it on your PC - the open and edit the xml file with Notepad, then copy back. Problem solved.

Hope that helps.

Well San Diego 92110 is my local area which I would want displayed.....and its already in there. What exactly should it say. Differently then what I posted?

WarezAppz

Jun 18, 2006
Columbus, OH
oh sorry

Oh you said registry sorry never caught that - do you have TotalCommander? use it - nav to HKLM\Software\HTC\HTCHOME\Weather\Settings
There should be at least 2 String Values there Location and LocationCode
Change those to match what city
ex:
Mine are:

Location = Columbus, OH
LocationCode = NAM|US|OH|COLUMBUS

also note to make immediately update (as I had to do to make it attempt to)
ADD
HKLM\Software\HTC\HTCHOME\

Status (binary) value = 3
LastUpdate (DWORD) value = 00 85 E1 C8 37 D9 C7 01
LastUpdate Action (DWORD) value = 00 BB 73 BE 38 D9 C7 01

bofett

May 30, 2006
Reno
Worked for me

I have a Hermes unlocked with WM6. I use T-Mobile (USA) with data plan and the steps worked great! I did have to turn OFF read only on the HH_0409_WeatherCities.xml file in order to get it to save.

Thanks

Last edited:

walla

Jul 13, 2007
thank you for this awesome fix, it works great on my phone.

thank you and keep up the good work.

gilbreen

Mar 13, 2006
and I get:

Not sure if the same thing happened but in my case, I had changed from the 5 tab plugin to the 3 tab plugin and the formatting of the xml is different for the two plugins. As a result, I ended up with a blank cities list.

Once I updated the xml file with the proper 3 tab formatting, the names of the cities returned.

gilbreen

Mar 13, 2006
I think, at least from what I've seen, is that T-Mobile USA will NOT work at all if you're using the $5.99 data plan (with proxy).

Can anybody prove this wrong?

Anybody...please!

I, too, use the $5.99 plan with Tmo USA (using the Tmo proxy) and cannot get weather udpates over GPRS - only over ActiveSync or WiFi.

galaxys

Recognized Contributor
May 9, 2007
Cosmos
Samsung Galaxy Watch
OnePlus 10 Pro
FYI: just found this posted by "issacs" on a ROM thread...

"Working Weather in USA (T-Mobile)
for all those with HTC and T-Mobile USA use this link instead of the HTC Home and you have a working weather !
it's free and its working fine !
http://www.tonaya.com/products/wtg/index.php"

energie

Nov 2, 2006
Lecce
man i'm still cant use this damn weather tab...i added my town perfectly but when i select it the program wont retreive any data!
I edited my host but it didnt work since i must have a proxy or something like that.
If i open htc.accuweather.com i dont receive any message, it just show the accuweather page.
What's wrong? the only weather i can see is 250km far away dang.
help pleaz.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    just tried the schen n2a patched .cab .
    htc home is there (although it starts a bit slower) but
    i cannot choose a city in the list (there are no entrys, it is empty)

also, there are so many files attached in your first post,
    but there are only two ways described. one of these cabs or what is called pocket hosts method.
    i didnt like both, but then used the kaiser withough brightness fix (for what? brightness? what needs to be fixed?)
    i was afraid, because there is no description how you can go back to the original htc home plugin, if those custom ones woudlnt work.

eg: what are those HTCHome dlls
    or the weathertranslator.zip
    for ?

ritterkeks

As I described on the first post, the weathertranslator.zip is the server code which translates the accuweather data - most users don't need it. If you have a kaiser, you don't need the brightness patch. If you have another device, you probably do need the brightness patch. It's one of the buttons on the Launcher. And if you've already got a HTC Home plugin installed in ROM, you just need to remove the new one and it'll revert.

I thought I quite clearly described it to be honest, and pretty much everything is covered over the posts. I'll see about creating a Wiki entry about all this.
    I installed the Kaiser DLL patch on my tilt and now after the reboot it goes to owner information screen then goes black. Then green and blue lights at the top flash but I can't get it to do anything. If I reset it, I have the same result.

I was able to enter bootloader and reflash the rom. Held down camera button and used the stylus to push the little reset button next to usb port. Then ran rom updater as normal

Same issue here flashed twice already.

Hope there's a fix