[ROM] OaT's Light n Tasty: DISCONTINUED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

pbassjunk

Apr 5, 2010
Nexus 7
Nexus 6
Had this whole diatribe written out, but really, meh.

Thanks oat for the hard work. Our collective apologies for not handing out the "atta-boy's" soon and/or frequently enough.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

TheOne741

May 29, 2009
What can we do to change your mind OaT?

I would really love to have the latest rom...

Pleaseeeee????

Sebz4n

Apr 22, 2011
Frederiksberg C
I will never understand killing all the links. I know the community can be "ungrateful", but in the end, if you leave nothing behind, nothing has been accomplished. If you do it for the likes XDA is the wrong place to be a dev, hell, any online forum is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

zim2dive

Feb 15, 2007
NC
So as mentioned previously, I'm new to LnT and CM9... With ICS, I was expecting to see some tablet "soft keys".. ie. how to do "back" and press/hold "home" to see existing apps to swipe them away....

thanks for any usage tips!

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
I will never understand killing all the links. I know the community can be "ungrateful", but in the end, if you leave nothing behind, nothing has been accomplished. If you do it for the likes XDA is the wrong place to be a dev, hell, any online forum is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Because it's his work, and if he'd rather not have it posted anymore, that is his decision. He gave a LOT to this community, and just because you may or may not agree with how he chose to leave, in no way means nothing has been accomplished. When you are part of this community long enough, you will see that ALL of this is transitory, every bit of it. If you ask anyone who was part of team Phoenix over on the Captivate threads, even though none of the original team even owns Cappys anymore, dont think for a sec we don't know we did some really cool stuff. But we've all moved on to different areas and it did mean something to a lot of people

It belongs to OaT, and he is the only one entitled to it, and no one else. So no sense in taking it personally that he took his toys and went home

Last edited:
Reactions: seeker9

hollywood084

Mar 21, 2009
Because it's his work, and if he'd rather not have it posted anymore, that is his decision. He gave a LOT to this community, and just because you may or may not agree with how he chose to leave, in no way means nothing has been accomplished. When you are part of this community long enough, you will see that ALL of this is transitory, every bit of it. If you ask anyone who was part of team Phoenix over on the Captivate threads, even though none of the original team even owns Cappys anymore, dont think for a sec we don't know we did some really cool stuff. But we've all moved on to different areas and it did mean something to a lot of people

It belongs to OaT, and he is the only one entitled to it, and no one else. So no sense in taking it personally that he took his toys and went home

If i give you $5, then take it back, did I really give you anything? I don't really care about what he wants to do with his stuff, but...Just sayin...

Last edited:

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
If i give you $5, then take it back, did I really give you anything? I don't care about what he wants to do with his stuff...Just sayin...

What does that really have to do with anything?

He gave his time, and his knowledge, and if you ever once ran any of his rom's, he gave you something. Just because you don't use it anymore, or he's not dev'ing it anymore, or decides not to publish it anymore doesn't mean he didn't give anything.
(Not directed at you hollywood)Maybe more people should learn how to dev themselves and not be so entitled. Publish it, and let me know how that works after a few months

platinum8317

Feb 24, 2011

Unfortunately, the second he posted it on the Internet and allowed others to download it. "It" no longer belonged to just him. It belongs to everyone else that got a chance to grab his work. That's the internet.

Reactions: hollywood084

bananagranola

Jul 11, 2012
tuxreview.wordpress.com
If i give you $5, then take it back, did I really give you anything? I don't really care about what he wants to do with his stuff, but...Just sayin...

Welp, that analogy...makes no sense at all. $5 is expendable. A ROM is not. He gave you however many months of use of his ROM.

platinum8317 said:
Unfortunately, the second he posted it on the Internet and allowed others to download it. "It" no longer belonged to just him. It belongs to everyone else that got a chance to grab his work. That's the internet.

"Possession" != "ownership."

I'm not saying I'm not disappointed as well - I was planning to give his ROM a try earlier today - but (edit) I think we might want to just let it be. He made a well-respected ROM, he's chosen to take it down, time to move on.

Last edited:

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle

That is totally true, as far as the internet goes. But as far as here on XDA, it's his work and that's kind of how it stays

Reactions: itsmebryan

ItsDon

Mar 29, 2008
Dripping Springs, Texas
Been using 8/29 for the whole day and I gotta say it's pretty nice. Came from CM9 nightlies and there was always 'something' that didn't work. Lately it was the fact that the battery wouldn't last a day. Some research showed there was a USB wakelock bug or something that kept the TP from going to deep sleep. Anyway, no such issue with LnT, battery is solid, not as good as WebOS but probably the best I've seen with Android.

I really tried to like Go Launcher HD, moved in, arranged stuff etc. but it just never felt right. Plus the big old top menu bugged me. I then tried Holo Launcher HD and while that was faster than a Ferrari it kept FCing some apps (CNN, Flipbook) and I had a reboot or two. So, I fixed permissions, cleared caches and installed Apex - heaven! Fast, smooth, no FC's or crashes and it looks great.

The rom is miserly on ram usage (if you don't let Facebook anywhere near it) and always seems snappy. Usually 400MB or so available at any given time.

It's definitely a keeper and by far the best I've found for the elderly TP. My next project is to get USB OTG going so I can slam some movies on my flash drive and play them on a plane. Not a big fan of having to transfer that stuff to the internal storage.

I'll keep beating on the rom and try to find some bugs (will report back if I do) but so far it is rock solid.

itsmebryan

May 6, 2006
Carson,CA
I'm sorry to see him go. But, thanks for your time and your Roms.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Been using 8/29 for the whole day and I gotta say it's pretty nice. Came from CM9 nightlies and there was always 'something' that didn't work. Lately it was the fact that the battery wouldn't last a day. Some research showed there was a USB wakelock bug or something that kept the TP from going to deep sleep. Anyway, no such issue with LnT, battery is solid, not as good as WebOS but probably the best I've seen with Android.

I really tried to like Go Launcher HD, moved in, arranged stuff etc. but it just never felt right. Plus the big old top menu bugged me. I then tried Holo Launcher HD and while that was faster than a Ferrari it kept FCing some apps (CNN, Flipbook) and I had a reboot or two. So, I fixed permissions, cleared caches and installed Apex - heaven! Fast, smooth, no FC's or crashes and it looks great.

The rom is miserly on ram usage (if you don't let Facebook anywhere near it) and always seems snappy. Usually 400MB or so available at any given time.

It's definitely a keeper and by far the best I've found for the elderly TP. My next project is to get USB OTG going so I can slam some movies on my flash drive and play them on a plane. Not a big fan of having to transfer that stuff to the internal storage.

I'll keep beating on the rom and try to find some bugs (will report back if I do) but so far it is rock solid.

I'm glad you were able to download the rom. Not to sound like a jerk. But, how is reporting bugs on a rom that no one can get helpful to all the people that can't get it? Also if it is the greatest rom of all time and you come back and let us know..... Then what? no one else can get it. All it will do is depress the people that can't get it. Just my $.02

itsmebryan

May 6, 2006
Carson,CA

zachenry

Nov 1, 2007
Wichita
I know it is a day late and a dollar short, but I really appreciate your work and I hope all is well. Forgive the selfish masses. Thanks sir, I will miss the excitement that comes from looking in your thread for updates! :)

mattyguk

Mar 5, 2007
Snap! I hadn't been on the forums for a little while (needed to catchup on some real world issues) came back and there was no updates to my current rom, so came here after a recommendation only to find no links. :( Ahh well, its a real shame, I wish the Dev all the best and hope he continues even if not here, its always a great shame to lose a good dev on any device.

S

-SGA-

It's his work, he owns it, he can do whatever he wants with it... good job OaT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Background
    As a bit of background, I publicly posted ROMs on PPCGeeks for the HTC Touch w/WinMo several years ago. Since then, I continue to develop ROMs primarily for family and friends on the EVO4G, LG Optimus, Acer A500, and of course the HP TouchPad. After an initial testing period by a group of volunteers here at XDA (thank you, thank you, thank you), I have decided to publicly release this ROM. I hope you enjoy it.

Philosophy and Acknowledgements
    My emphasis has always been on a very light and fast ROM that leaves plenty of room for one's own apps and customizations. My HP TouchPad ROM is based on a very stripped down KANG of the latest CM9 version (big thanks to Dalingrin, JCSullins, and all the other TPad devs that have brought this capability to us) that supports HW Video (meaning Netflix and HD YouTube) and all the other goodies you have come to know and love.

In addition there are also a few other treats thrown in, primarily,
    • the recently released QualComm adreno 2xx drivers,
    • the init.d tweaks published by Rohan,
    • the new ath6kl wifi drivers being incorporated into the 3.0 kernel,
    • the new HD Tablet launcher by the "Go" folks.

Big thanks to all the folks associated with these for their generosity in publicly providing these tweaks. Finally, I also employ a very stripped down version of the latest version of GApps that I will also link to. You can use the full version of GApps found elsewhere, but that will then somewhat defeat the intent of this ROM. The attached pics will give you some idea of what to expect. The benchmarks are all "typical" of the results I get on a non-overclocked CPU running at ~1.2GHz.

Updates
    In terms of updates, I actually build the ROM and the kernel almost on a daily basis so my older AMD quadcore isn't tortured with having to handle an extraordinary number of new commits. But that doesn't mean I flash almost daily. It all depends on what looks significant, if I really want to try something new, or if I'm just bored :eek:. You can find out what's new in the below "News" section of this OP to find out what's the latest on my front.

Flashing and .apk's
    Of course, all the standard cautions about doing the necessary backups (nandroids, titanium, or my backup) and the requirement for a complete set of wipes/formats (data, cache, system, dalvik) apply. Actually, I only find it necessary to wipe cache and dalvik between flashes of my own ROM. I also flash Gapps anew after each ROM flash. If you like experimenting with the other available ROMs, I advise a complete set of wipes and formats. And of course, you are flashing at your own risk.

Any .apk's included below need to be placed in the system/app directory with a rooted file manager, e.g. es file explorer, ensuring the permissions are the same as other .apk's in that directory, followed by a reboot. Unless, otherwise noted.

News
    08/30/12
    • DISCONTINUED

Links
    OaT's "Light n Tasty" GApps:

OaT's "Light n Tasty" ROMs:
    Plan on posting "final" CM9-based LnT this weekend, including a new BEATS audio and a few other ROM refinements, this weekend. Then I'm just going to hunker down and try working with CM10. We'll see how that goes. :confused:
    JB & LnT Update (as I currently see it)

First, I am seeing a lot of activity on the repo as the JB packages are even now being readied and moved into the new tree. The process, I believe, is to "finish" up CM9 with a stable RC2 then fully concentrate on CM10. Since CM10 is a "minor" update (4.0.4 ->> 4.1.1) CM9 will ultimately be abandoned with only CM7 (Gingerbread - 2.X) and CM10 (4.x) being maintained (Honeycomb - 3.X was never publicly released). I don't know how long this will take; could be anywhere from a few weeks to several months, but it has been said that any device that was supported on CM9 will be supported on CM10. Of course, a lot of that will depend on the developers who have specifically contributed to the TPad to rebase their work as necessary.

In terms of updates to LnT, I'm planning one more update sometime this month and then I'll hunker down and wait for JB, as I'm guessing there will only be minor improvements to the current state. Of course, should something major/interesting show up (e.g. the camera) or I get bored :silly:, I will adapt. Finally, I've decided to not go the direct AOSP JB route and just wait for CM JB.

Bottom line, because of the quality of the Touch Pad developers, I firmly believe our lowly TPs will be one of the early recipients of a sleek new JB including some interesting capabilities, e.g. Google Now.
    LnT JB Posted Including LnT JB Gapps

Please read updated News section in OP. Links located in OP.
    When you compile?! The cm10 source are you going to release public? Or you wait jcsullins to released first?

I'll release when it's, IMO, daily-driver quality. That doesn't mean it will be completely bug free, but it must be useable for all basic tasks including browsing, email, music, video, and many of my "critical" apps.