[Q] Interested in exploring hololens development

Search This thread

CaptainOHair

Jan 28, 2015
Bellevue
So I have never developed anything for windows before, but with seeing the hololens preview video it got me excited to start dabbling with this. I have been wanting to dabble with android apps but haven't gotten around to it yet. I was wondering if yall could point me in the right direction to getting started with getting ready to develop for the hololens/windows 10 (as I understand they will be the same development environment) so that when a development kit does come around I can be familiarized with the ecosystem. I have found a small bit of documentation from microsoft so far that I will be perusing that talks about some code samples, etc and I am getting visual studio, etc.

Anything else I should know or go look into that would help me to get ready to develop stuff on hololens?

estewey

Oct 2, 2014
you should keep me update to im very interested in the production and development of the new lens

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

you should keep me update to im very interested in the production and development of the new lens

shockfire

Feb 17, 2015
www.s8i.com
Yeah definitely interesting.

I'm guessing that developing for Hololens will be very DirectX oritented, while Android development is OpenGL. The general skillset for developing in Android probably wouldn't be readily transferable to Hololens (and vice versa), so if you planned learning on how to develop for both, you'll probably need to learn two completely different skillsets.

It will be interesting to see what frameworks/engines end up supporting Hololens (would probably suit something like Unity?).

estewey

Oct 2, 2014
Im really new into these type of things. would you happen to have an idea where I could start to learn or any books or methods you would recommend to start from?

shockfire

Feb 17, 2015
www.s8i.com
Im really new into these type of things. would you happen to have an idea where I could start to learn or any books or methods you would recommend to start from?

For Hololens development specifically? To be honest it's probably a bit early to say (I think Microsoft only announced the Hololens a few months ago). Since it's a Microsoft device, it would be a good bet that it would be powered by the .NET framework, so learning C# might be a good base, but at this point in time I don't think Microsoft have released specific development details (I might be wrong). You'll probably need to wait a little while before a Hololens Developer's book is available.

Sep 20, 2023
So I have never developed anything for windows before, but with seeing the hololens preview video it got me excited to start dabbling with this. I have been wanting to dabble with android apps but haven't gotten around to it yet. I was wondering if yall could point me in the right direction to getting started with getting ready to develop for the hololens/windows 10 (as I understand they will be the same development environment) so that when a development kit does come around I can be familiarized with the ecosystem. I have found a small bit of documentation from microsoft so far that I will be perusing that talks about some code samples, etc and I am getting visual studio, etc.

Anything else I should know or go look into that would help me to get ready to develop stuff on hololens?
To get started with HoloLens and Windows 10 development:
  1. Install Visual Studio.
  2. Refer to Microsoft's Windows Mixed Reality documentation.
  3. Learn Unity for 3D experiences.
  4. Explore the Mixed Reality Toolkit (MRTK).
  5. Use the HoloLens Emulator for testing.
  6. Join developer forums for support.
  7. Start with small projects and consider design principles for mixed reality.