[Q] home button and "swipe from the top" has disappeared

Search This thread

goseb

Sep 25, 2012
Sydney
Hi everyone,

My home button and the "swipe from the top" has disappeared since my last restart. I really have no idea what's happened and now I am using the apps called "Button Savior" to return the home screen.Maybe thid was because I have deleted some system files from system/data/data/com.android. providers.settings. I have restarted several times and it didn't work for my device.Now its really inconvenient to use the Kindle Fire HD. My current software version is 7.1.13. Could you guys help me to solve this problem? Thank you very much in advance.

adiliyo

Oct 25, 2009
Los Angeles
maybe pull the rom in the development section and see if you can get the deleted files from it?

the only time my framework dissapeared was when i was trying to install the play store. i got it back by renaming a couple google framework apk's in the system folder and restarting...

goseb

Sep 25, 2012
Sydney
Hi adiliyo,

How can I pull the Rom in the development section? As I have deleted many system files, I think I am in a much bigger trouble than yours.
maybe pull the rom in the development section and see if you can get the deleted files from it?

the only time my framework dissapeared was when i was trying to install the play store. i got it back by renaming a couple google framework apk's in the system folder and restarting...

PMcHargue

Aug 21, 2012
This happened to me, and some other folks. Look for a thread asking about how to view/run settings.

Anyway, some fixes mentioned were to turn off notifications for Gmail - hard to do if you can't get to settings, though.

What worked for me was to try and side-load an application - copy an APK file to the 'downloads' folder on your KFHD via a connected computer using the windows file explorer, or ADB - and then install the APK. In my case by clicking on it using a file manager. The KFHD told me that I would have to enable foreign application installs to finish the install of the side-loaded APK, and took me to that portion of settings that dealt with that. In that section was the 'Reset to Factory Defaults' button.

I pressed the reset button, and got everything back. Earlier applications (google play store) that I hadn't un-installed in an attempt to fix the problem were still there. Super User was intact. I downloaded & installed everything again, and all is working as it should be.

Until Amazon comes clean with this walking ad-server, details on how to modify it without introducing issues are going to be sketchy . It's just our lot in life, if you'll pardon. I appreciate having super user access, and all the Google apps I love to use, but what's really required is the ability to modify the boot loader. Until that's available, it's going to be try until it fails, and then scramble to recover.

Nice HW, but limited by Amazon's vision of the customers.

Pat

goseb

Sep 25, 2012
Sydney
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886189

if you can't get the individual files, maybe reflashing that rom will fix your problems

After I installed GO Laucher EX, I was able to access the settings. Download the software from amazon and put it into the file named" kindleupdates". there's nothing change after I updated my kindle. Now the software version's 7.1.15. the home button and return button are still missing.the werid thing is my kindle is still rooted!!! Now I really have no idea...

goseb

Sep 25, 2012
Sydney
This happened to me, and some other folks. Look for a thread asking about how to view/run settings.

Anyway, some fixes mentioned were to turn off notifications for Gmail - hard to do if you can't get to settings, though.

What worked for me was to try and side-load an application - copy an APK file to the 'downloads' folder on your KFHD via a connected computer using the windows file explorer, or ADB - and then install the APK. In my case by clicking on it using a file manager. The KFHD told me that I would have to enable foreign application installs to finish the install of the side-loaded APK, and took me to that portion of settings that dealt with that. In that section was the 'Reset to Factory Defaults' button.

I pressed the reset button, and got everything back. Earlier applications (google play store) that I hadn't un-installed in an attempt to fix the problem were still there. Super User was intact. I downloaded & installed everything again, and all is working as it should be.

Until Amazon comes clean with this walking ad-server, details on how to modify it without introducing issues are going to be sketchy . It's just our lot in life, if you'll pardon. I appreciate having super user access, and all the Google apps I love to use, but what's really required is the ability to modify the boot loader. Until that's available, it's going to be try until it fails, and then scramble to recover.

Nice HW, but limited by Amazon's vision of the customers.

Pat

It works!!!! all the missing parts have come back. the Go launcher EX has saved in Cloud.

Rhacknar

May 29, 2018
solution

download an app called my android, open the app go to my apps and find the settings app then go to device and then go to factory reset. its the only way I found to access settings when drop down didn't work. after resetting to factory my buttons all came back after doing the tooltip for startup

Fifi45

Dec 1, 2019
What worked for me on my AF tablet was to uninstall all 4 Google APK files, then uninstall the Launcher Hijack. The tablet swipe down and home button both came back for me. I then re-installed the Google APKs, but didn't re-install Launcher Hijack. Tablet works fine, functions are normal, just have to put up with seeing the default Amazon screen first before tapping the Nova Launcher icon to get to my custom screen, a minor inconvenience, and I didn't have to do a factory reset.