[dev] USB MASS STORAGE on Sony Tablet S!

Search This thread

condi

Feb 13, 2007
Ostrów Wielkopolski
condiecu.pl
Hi guys,

Just want you to know, that I've for first, successfully
started USB MASS STORAGE mode on Sony Tablet S!!!
Without any additional software!
That USB MODE is not even available in system settings,
system notification on the device says:
"Connected as an installer" lol.

Gonna figure everything out, to be an easy to use :)
...and most probably I will add this feature in next AiO :)

massstoragesony.png

imag0216vm.jpg

Its a good day :D

br
condi

Last edited:

xpri

Jul 21, 2006
thanks for all the effort you put in condi! i've tried 3 mass storage apps to no avail, i'm so glad that one of our favourite devs is working on this!

kurtis.austin2

Aug 21, 2009
Condi .. are you running ICS or HC in those screen shots? Just wondering why it says a system update is available?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using XDA Premium HD app

PurpleFries

Jul 18, 2009
Toronto
He's running ics with Kernel 9. Newest is kernel 10 which is unrootable(?) at this point. That's why he's got the update notification

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

sebarkh

Oct 7, 2010
Warsaw
Apps & Games
He's running ics with Kernel 9. Newest is kernel 10 which is unrootable(?) at this point. That's why he's got the update notification

Sorry, but you completely missed the point. With Condi's AIO Tools you may spoof the device for system update to see it as an older firmware, it's also a part of a rescue-backdoor (but not the necessary part).

Reactions: blambo

Nesquick95

Jan 31, 2009
Hi guys,

br
condi

Doesn't UMS normally leads to new drives appearing on the PC's file explorer, like while inserting an USB key?

In the case of the tablet, one drive for the internal SD card, another for the external one if there's one inserted...

The "gadget" link shown by your screenshots is neither what we expect for a MTP link. It reminds me what I see when connecting a device in fastboot mode.

But well... We will know all the story in next AiO! ;)

condi

Feb 13, 2007
Ostrów Wielkopolski
condiecu.pl
Doesn't UMS normally leads to new drives appearing on the PC's file explorer, like while inserting an USB key?

In the case of the tablet, one drive for the internal SD card, another for the external one if there's one inserted...

The "gadget" link shown by your screenshots is neither what we expect for a MTP link. It reminds me what I see when connecting a device in fastboot mode.

OK then, for example - show me how you are working with your external SD on MTP mode, of course without taking it out and putting in card reader?
It will be also helpful for Linux and Mac OS users.

The 'gadget' is just as I expected to be.
Also 'gadget' reminds me a nice cartoon from my childhood - inspector gadget :D :p

Below is a quick video, sorry for quality and shaking hand lol:

Reactions: SudaDreamS

kurtis.austin2

Aug 21, 2009
Sorry, but you completely missed the point. With Condi's AIO Tools you may spoof the device for system update to see it as an older firmware, it's also a part of a rescue-backdoor (but not the necessary part).

Thank you. I thought it was something to do with that. I am unrooted ICS so I was just curious.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using XDA Premium HD app

condi

Feb 13, 2007
Ostrów Wielkopolski
condiecu.pl
actually thats an ics feature available on storage menu
Nope, you're wrong. Do you think that I would spend some hours on trying to do something which is already done?

Oh Nesquick - one more example :) Try to open some file directly from 'mtp drive' - some .doc etc, modify it, and try to save it. You will not.
Its been copied to tmp dir, no 'direct access'.
Thats why I hate MTP mode.

Current state of my USB Mass Storage mode is which needs one reboot after running. Im trying to find the solution for direct change.
If we would have kernel access, then it would work already..
But we dont. To be continued :)

br
condi

Nesquick95

Jan 31, 2009
Condi, I've no trouble with MTP... Or should I say, I've the same troubles as anybody else. Horrible on my Linux platforms, slow, uneasy to use and even worst whith my Nexus which has no SD card slot.

What I tried to say when looking at your screenshots was they aren't looking like something known : no drive on Windows explorer, no Sony tablet device, just the "gadget" link. Your video later shows an E:\CONDISD showing that you've win the race.

As I was saying, the "gadget" link appears when I connect something in fastboot mode to my PC (in the USB menu of my VirtualBox Windows XP VM to be precise) and I was thinking that you may have put your finger on some low level USB thing (showed by the tablet as an installer!) which could open some perspectives.

Of course, I know that you're the first here to see exploitable perspectives and one of the only people here able to do something with them but who knows...

By the way, I'm thinking of an adb based file explorer. No time to do it myself but many people have already done it. Just google "adb file explorer" and choose the one that best match your needs.

sebarkh

Oct 7, 2010
Warsaw
Apps & Games
Condi, I've no trouble with MTP... Or should I say, I've the same troubles as anybody else. Horrible on my Linux platforms, slow, uneasy to use and even worst whith my Nexus which has no SD card slot.

What I tried to say when looking at your screenshots was they aren't looking like something known : no drive on Windows explorer, no Sony tablet device, just the "gadget" link. Your video later shows an E:\CONDISD showing that you've win the race.

As I was saying, the "gadget" link appears when I connect something in fastboot mode to my PC (in the USB menu of my VirtualBox Windows XP VM to be precise) and I was thinking that you may have put your finger on some low level USB thing (showed by the tablet as an installer!) which could open some perspectives.

Of course, I know that you're the first here to see exploitable perspectives and one of the only people here able to do something with them but who knows...

By the way, I'm thinking of an adb based file explorer. No time to do it myself but many people have already done it. Just google "adb file explorer" and choose the one that best match your needs.

I like Android Commander as an explorer using ADB (btw from aanother Polish dev)

obicom

Nov 9, 2010
Cologne
Good morning folks,

fist want to say ... Condi well done .. I thing is a work in the right direction ..
Currently I use a workaround with apps like AirDroid as a WLAN file explorer.
Additional advantage, you need no USB cable (but WLAN connection).

OCedHrt

May 18, 2009
San Jose

That's not quite correct. I had kernel 10 for a while, then updated to r5. Not sure what kernel it was after update, but I was able to root with backup/restore method and now have build 5 kernel.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using xda app-developers app

stifilz

Jan 9, 2012
NZ
That's not quite correct. I had kernel 10 for a while, then updated to r5. Not sure what kernel it was after update, but I was able to root with backup/restore method and now have build 5 kernel.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using xda app-developers app

Wow... Why even reply to that??? It is months old! He was referring to hc 3.2.1r2 where k10 was unrootable..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

massstoragesony.png

imag0216vm.jpg

br
    condi
    actually thats an ics feature available on storage menu
    Nope, you're wrong. Do you think that I would spend some hours on trying to do something which is already done?

Oh Nesquick - one more example :) Try to open some file directly from 'mtp drive' - some .doc etc, modify it, and try to save it. You will not.
    Its been copied to tmp dir, no 'direct access'.
    Thats why I hate MTP mode.

Current state of my USB Mass Storage mode is which needs one reboot after running. Im trying to find the solution for direct change.
    If we would have kernel access, then it would work already..
    But we dont. To be continued :)

br
    condi

OK then, for example - show me how you are working with your external SD on MTP mode, of course without taking it out and putting in card reader?
    It will be also helpful for Linux and Mac OS users.

The 'gadget' is just as I expected to be.
    Also 'gadget' reminds me a nice cartoon from my childhood - inspector gadget :D :p

Below is a quick video, sorry for quality and shaking hand lol: