[Q] Why can't I watch my movies in HD on Google Play Movies with an AOSP ROM?

Search This thread

XxSilent.NightmarexX

Jul 21, 2010
Los Angeles/El Monte
On every AOSP ROM I've tried, I can't seem to find a way to play my movies from Google in HD or download them in HD. They only play in sd quality. And download a file that's only 200MB prior to the HD file that's supposed to download which is 2gigs+ does anyone else have this problem or found a fix for it? I really like what AOSP has turned out to be but I keep coming back to TW cuz of my movies.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

wgrant

Sep 23, 2011
On every AOSP ROM I've tried, I can't seem to find a way to play my movies from Google in HD or download them in HD. They only play in sd quality. And download a file that's only 200MB prior to the HD file that's supposed to download which is 2gigs+ does anyone else have this problem or found a fix for it? I really like what AOSP has turned out to be but I keep coming back to TW cuz of my movies.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Are you using an AOSP built for the new bootloader (4.4.2)? The new device tree has issues with hd

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

wgrant

Sep 23, 2011
I had issues with watching HD Google play movies on AOSP with the old bootloader too but YouTube and downloaded videos were fine. Now I only experience the problem with HD on AOSP when on the new builds. I'm still on the 4.3 bootloader so I have the option to choose thankfully. I haven't tried Google play for videos lately though. I just use moviedroid for my video watching needs.

wgrant

Sep 23, 2011
I haven't had Hd video issues on 4.3 AOSP since way early builds so I can't answer that. It was more a change done to the ROM by the developer.

iBolski

I'm in the same boat. Luckily, I can at least cast them to my Chromecast, but it does suck not being able to watch them on my device if I'm away from my TV.

I have this issue on both my 2012 Nexus 7 (running CM11) and my Droid RAZR HD (XT926) running CM11, Gummy, etc.

It only works when I'm on stock KK for both devices.

Not sure if it's an issue with AOSP in general (seems to be) or an issue with GAPPs. I don't think it's GAPPs as I've removed and reinstalled Google Play Movies from the Google Play store.

I also notice that I cannot send apps to my phone from the Google Play web page if I attempt to install from the web page.

XxSilent.NightmarexX

Jul 21, 2010
Los Angeles/El Monte
I'm wondering of its because you're rooted. I remember when Google play movies could not play on rooted devices. I had to use voodoo to unroot & root again to get it to play.
Ummm I don't think so because my note 3 is running a rooted stock ROM but I think it's a kernel issue because I put a custom kernel on my stock ROM and it made google play movies to stop playing completely

Reactions: iBolski

iBolski

Ummm I don't think so because my note 3 is running a rooted stock ROM but I think it's a kernel issue because I put a custom kernel on my stock ROM and it made google play movies to stop playing completely

I agree. Under stock, I'm rooted and movies will play. Under non-stock roms, they won't work except via Chromecast.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

XxSilent.NightmarexX

Jul 21, 2010
Los Angeles/El Monte
I agree. Under stock, I'm rooted and movies will play. Under non-stock roms, they won't work except via Chromecast.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Yea or anything with a custom kernel. This is the only phone that I have a problem with Google play movies playing. That's why I'm stuck in Stock rooted rom. The only rom that didn't cause trouble for me was wicked

iBolski

Yea or anything with a custom kernel. This is the only phone that I have a problem with Google play movies playing. That's why I'm stuck in Stock rooted rom. The only rom that didn't cause trouble for me was wicked

I have the same issue on my Nexus 7 2012 tablet, not just my RAZR HD.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm wondering of its because you're rooted. I remember when Google play movies could not play on rooted devices. I had to use voodoo to unroot & root again to get it to play.