BBC iPlayer issues outside UK

Search This thread

jasenko

Jan 10, 2013
Hi guys, I am yet to fully enjoy iPlayer on Chromecast. I use Unlocator as my DNS provider and they managed to work out the way to watch iPlayer stuff outside of UK. But the streaming speeds are really bad and so far I didn't enjoy a single show. It seems like it buffers every 10 seconds or so so I am suspecting Unlocator (and their method to unblock it) at this stage. PC, Android, iPad all seems to work fine without any buffering and in full HD.

I would really like to hear some of your experiences but also ideas or feedback about other DNS providers. I also have HMA VPN subscription that I haven't tested yet because that is my absolute last option.

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
The behavior you describe sound like network latency.
If you can force a specific rate or resolution that can help.
Also make sure Chromecast has a stable WiFi connection.

irish-sid

Aug 18, 2011
Could be the provider. Try unblock-us for a week trial.
Also, have you set the chromecast up to block access to the google dns servers?

irish-sid

Aug 18, 2011
Do Unblock-US support Chromecast? I used them some time ago, before I moved to Unlocator. I might give it a go.

It's not about supporting Chromecast, it's about having the dns address on your router and then blocking the Chromecast from accessing the Google dns address which it defaults to. You need to do that in static route.
But yeah, I use unblock us, works very well. It has an easy Netflix region switcher without having to change addresses so you can use any Netflix. (Not sure if yourd offers that too?)

Reactions: Coppernob

jasenko

Jan 10, 2013
It's not about supporting Chromecast, it's about having the dns address on your router and then blocking the Chromecast from accessing the Google dns address which it defaults to. You need to do that in static route.
But yeah, I use unblock us, works very well. It has an easy Netflix region switcher without having to change addresses so you can use any Netflix. (Not sure if yourd offers that too?)

The problem with iPlayer on Chromecast is because BBC implemented an extra step to look up geo location. Are you outside UK? Is iPlayer working for you?

I use Eureka ROM so DNS change for me is trivial.

irish-sid

Aug 18, 2011
The problem with iPlayer on Chromecast is because BBC implemented an extra step to look up geo location. Are you outside UK? Is iPlayer working for you?

Ah right, fair enough.
I'm in Southern Ireland and just tested the app and website, both stream fine.

Just to make sure, you don't need to refresh your ip address on the unlocator site? With unblockus, if you reboot your router (with a dynamic ip) you need to refresh your ip address on the site by clicking a link that pops up.

Reactions: jasenko

jasenko

Jan 10, 2013
Ah right, fair enough.

Just to make sure, you don't need to refresh your ip address on the unlocator site? With unblockus, if you reboot your router (with a dynamic ip) you need to refresh your ip address on the site by clicking a link that pops up.

Thanks, I'll test Unblock tonight. I hope the issue is not network latency, I have no issues streaming Netflix in full HD.

alex7xl

Mar 7, 2015
Hi guys, I am yet to fully enjoy iPlayer on Chromecast. I use Aeroshield as my DNS provider and they managed to work out the way to watch iPlayer stuff outside of UK. But the streaming speeds are really bad and so far I didn't enjoy a single show. It seems like it buffers every 10 seconds or so so I am suspecting Unlocator (and their method to unblock it) at this stage. PC, Android, iPad all seems to work fine without any buffering and in full HD.

I would really like to hear some of your experiences but also ideas or feedback about other DNS providers. I also have HMA VPN subscription that I haven't tested yet because that is my absolute last option.

Sorry for bringing up an old topic. Anyone use smart dns for BBC iPlayer on smart TV?
I want to stream it to my TV without VPN

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do Unblock-US support Chromecast? I used them some time ago, before I moved to Unlocator. I might give it a go.

Ah right, fair enough.