[APP] Google Wallet (APK: 1.1-R57v5, Play Store: 1.1-R57v5) [09/03/2012]

Search This thread

lukegb

Jul 8, 2010
Portsmouth
Google Wallet Prepaid Card Provisioning RE-ENABLED as of 09/03/2012!

Read me first!
Please use the APK method below, or attempt to install Google Wallet from the Play Store/Shop - note that the old browser trick appears to not be working since the Google Play branding appeared.

Please star this Android issue to draw attention to it! Thanks!

MoDaCo Custom Patched APK Allows easy use with all devices

This allows easy use and I'm currently using this too!

See Paul's thread over at MoDaCo for more info: http://www.modaco.com/topic/354635-region-device-root-patched-google-wallet-apk-11-r63-v12/

Download the patched APK here - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 34d6d1afe316df8fca9d7aaad02431ce
This APK must be installed by putting it inside /system/app and NOT by installing it manually.

Google Play Store (more up to date! recommended!)
Google Wallet can be found on the Google Play Store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel

chart

APK method
Prerequisites
You need:

General Instructions
  1. Pull down the notification bar and hit the settings icon next to the date. Then choose "About phone" at the bottom. If "Android version" is NOT listed as "4.0.2", "4.0.3" or "4.0.4", you need to update to a new version. Do that before continuing.

Now, what needs to happen next depends on where you are:
I'm not in the US!
If you're NOT in the US, you'll need to be rooted. Grab Market Enabler from the Android Market and install it.
Run Market Enabler and set yourself as "US T-Mobile".
Now follow the US instructions.

I'm in the US!
Open the Wallet APK on your phone e.g. using ASTRO/File Expert/Root Explorer/the download manager.
Now just open Wallet, and it should correctly authorise.

Troubleshooting
Help! Google Wallet says "Unsupported Device!"
This means that you're on a rooted device, and is perfectly normal. Transactions will still work - it's just Google's way of letting you know that you may be less secure than you would be normally, as rooted apps will be able to access Google Wallet internal files. Be vigilant when approving root access!

Secure Element not responding!
If you have a Nandroid backup of a version of Wallet that worked, try restoring to that. Otherwise, you're screwed unless you get a new device. The Secure Element in your phone has now locked you out.

EDIT: research seems to show that Android is not actually enabling NFC-EE, which might be why it can't communicate with the SE. This needs further research.

To try to avoid this, before flashing a new ROM please, please, PLEASE: open Google Wallet. Open the Wallet Settings menu. Select "Reset Google Wallet" from within the app. THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS SELECTING "CLEAR DATA" FROM WITHIN MANAGE APPS!
The Google Wallet reset system will disable it's background services, reset the secure element by deleting the Google Wallet applet (which is what you want!), clear the database, ping C2DM that it is now deprovisioning, clear the shared preferences, clear files and cache, and finally shut itself down. Clearing data from Manage Apps will only delete the database and shared preferences: it will not deprovision, disable background services, and most importantly will not remove the Wallet applet from the secure element.

Insufficient Privileges. Insufficient secure element privileges for this system image (release-keys)
Err, what? This should only occur if you previously used the ZIP method. If so, you'll need to manually restore the old versions of the files.
This can be achieved by either restoring a Nandroid backup from before you flashed OR by following instructions in this post.

I have something not answered here!
Post in this topic and it'll probably get answered pretty quickly.

I restored a backup and Wallet isn't working
Try uninstalling then reinstalling the APK. This should get the SE back in sync with the Wallet status.

Changelog
09/05/2012
APK updated to 1.1-R57v5 from my device for those who still can't get it on the Store. Sorry for the slow update - it's exam season in the UK!

02/05/2012
Added note about Google Play Store. I'll update the APK soon, but I recommend using the store - seems that Wallet is even appearing for me in the UK now.

09/03/2012
Prepaid card provisioning is reenabled! Go use your Wallet again!
Fixed links.
Removed ZIP method entirely.
Mentioned Market method, need to write up instructions.
Added unsupported device banner note.

02/01/2012
Added some information that should hopefully avoid people getting hit by the Secure Element issue, and a link to the AOSP issue tracker issue.

18/12/2011
Removed old ZIP method. APK should work for most people.
Rewrote OP from scratch.

Last edited:

watso4183

Mar 10, 2009
Lukegb,
Does this zip include the Wallet (1).apk you had me flash in the other thread? With that I was able to successfully add my Citi card where as before it continued to force close.

Reactions: dapoktan

watso4183

Mar 10, 2009
I restored to my stock backup, did a wipe and confirmed it working on stock ROM (I was originally only getting success in MoDaCo ROM.)

Reactions: blueshoes9001

turtiturt

Apr 23, 2011
Bournemouth
tryanelliott.com
Adding Funds

I flashed the zip you posted in the original Google Wallet forum earlier today after wiping cache/formatting etc and this worked fine on the stock rom, I now have my $10 pre paid card all set up.

Have any of you worked out a way to add funds to this card or is the Citi card the only way to use this more often?

Thanks for all your work

watso4183

Mar 10, 2009
I flashed the zip you posted in the original Google Wallet forum earlier today after wiping cache/formatting etc and this worked fine on the stock rom, I now have my $10 pre paid card all set up.

Have any of you worked out a way to add funds to this card or is the Citi card the only way to use this more often?

Thanks for all your work
To add funds to your Google Prepaid card:
1) On your device, open Wallet app.
2) Choose Payment Cards.
3) Tap the Google paypass card.
4) Choose Add Funds

DanRyb

Jun 6, 2010
Los Angeles
Did any of you use Wallet on a Nexus S?

I had been using it, and I had added $25 of my own funds back then, bought something, and I had like $23 left in my wallet.

I did successfully get this Wallet working on my Galaxy Nexus (thank you!!!) but when I added the Google pre-paid, it gave me a new card (the last 4 digits are different than what I had prior) and I just have the $10 for signing up.

I'm guessing it's also tied somehow to hardware?

lukegb

Jul 8, 2010
Portsmouth
I need to look into this, because Google has been giving me a new user ID every time I've reinstalled the app...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

DanRyb

Jun 6, 2010
Los Angeles
This was the first time installing it on my Galaxy Nexus. I "installed" it numerous times on my Nexus S though and every time I had to sign back into it, it always gave me the same user ID/correct funds.

I need to look into this, because Google has been giving me a new user ID every time I've reinstalled the app...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

gambiting

Mar 14, 2009
Could someone tell me how to flash this thing? I have clockwork mode but the ""flash zip from sd card" shows me some weird layout of folders..

Last edited:

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
Is there any chance an APK will be released that will be installed on a stock ROM? I really don't want to root just to do this since it'll wipe my phone and I'll have to start over also want to keep the phone stock for a bit.

Evostance

Nov 27, 2008
www.greghesp.com
Is there any chance an APK will be released that will be installed on a stock ROM? I really don't want to root just to do this since it'll wipe my phone and I'll have to start over also want to keep the phone stock for a bit.

The only way I see that working is if Google release it.

You need to either flash this after doing a wipe or by modifying.

The only was I can see you managing to do this is if you unlock the bootloader (which will wipe your phone anyway), then boot into CWM (not flash) and then install the zip.

Then when you reboot your phone, CWM will be gone and you should get a stock ROM with Wallet installed.

No idea if that would work though

lpasq

Feb 14, 2006
flashed zip after flashing Ir3 and all seems well. $10 free cash available. unable to "add funds" though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google Wallet Prepaid Card Provisioning RE-ENABLED as of 09/03/2012!

Read me first!
    Please use the APK method below, or attempt to install Google Wallet from the Play Store/Shop - note that the old browser trick appears to not be working since the Google Play branding appeared.

Please star this Android issue to draw attention to it! Thanks!

MoDaCo Custom Patched APK Allows easy use with all devices

This allows easy use and I'm currently using this too!

See Paul's thread over at MoDaCo for more info: http://www.modaco.com/topic/354635-region-device-root-patched-google-wallet-apk-11-r63-v12/

Download the patched APK here - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 34d6d1afe316df8fca9d7aaad02431ce
    This APK must be installed by putting it inside /system/app and NOT by installing it manually.

Google Play Store (more up to date! recommended!)
    Google Wallet can be found on the Google Play Store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel

chart

APK method
    Prerequisites
    You need:

General Instructions
    1. Pull down the notification bar and hit the settings icon next to the date. Then choose "About phone" at the bottom. If "Android version" is NOT listed as "4.0.2", "4.0.3" or "4.0.4", you need to update to a new version. Do that before continuing.

Now, what needs to happen next depends on where you are:
    I'm not in the US!
    If you're NOT in the US, you'll need to be rooted. Grab Market Enabler from the Android Market and install it.
    Run Market Enabler and set yourself as "US T-Mobile".
    Now follow the US instructions.

I'm in the US!
    Open the Wallet APK on your phone e.g. using ASTRO/File Expert/Root Explorer/the download manager.
    Now just open Wallet, and it should correctly authorise.

Troubleshooting
    Help! Google Wallet says "Unsupported Device!"
    This means that you're on a rooted device, and is perfectly normal. Transactions will still work - it's just Google's way of letting you know that you may be less secure than you would be normally, as rooted apps will be able to access Google Wallet internal files. Be vigilant when approving root access!

Secure Element not responding!
    If you have a Nandroid backup of a version of Wallet that worked, try restoring to that. Otherwise, you're screwed unless you get a new device. The Secure Element in your phone has now locked you out.

EDIT: research seems to show that Android is not actually enabling NFC-EE, which might be why it can't communicate with the SE. This needs further research.

To try to avoid this, before flashing a new ROM please, please, PLEASE: open Google Wallet. Open the Wallet Settings menu. Select "Reset Google Wallet" from within the app. THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS SELECTING "CLEAR DATA" FROM WITHIN MANAGE APPS!
    The Google Wallet reset system will disable it's background services, reset the secure element by deleting the Google Wallet applet (which is what you want!), clear the database, ping C2DM that it is now deprovisioning, clear the shared preferences, clear files and cache, and finally shut itself down. Clearing data from Manage Apps will only delete the database and shared preferences: it will not deprovision, disable background services, and most importantly will not remove the Wallet applet from the secure element.

Insufficient Privileges. Insufficient secure element privileges for this system image (release-keys)
    Err, what? This should only occur if you previously used the ZIP method. If so, you'll need to manually restore the old versions of the files.
    This can be achieved by either restoring a Nandroid backup from before you flashed OR by following instructions in this post.

I have something not answered here!
    Post in this topic and it'll probably get answered pretty quickly.

I restored a backup and Wallet isn't working
    Try uninstalling then reinstalling the APK. This should get the SE back in sync with the Wallet status.

Changelog
    09/05/2012
    APK updated to 1.1-R57v5 from my device for those who still can't get it on the Store. Sorry for the slow update - it's exam season in the UK!

02/05/2012
    Added note about Google Play Store. I'll update the APK soon, but I recommend using the store - seems that Wallet is even appearing for me in the UK now.

09/03/2012
    Prepaid card provisioning is reenabled! Go use your Wallet again!
    Fixed links.
    Removed ZIP method entirely.
    Mentioned Market method, need to write up instructions.
    Added unsupported device banner note.

02/01/2012
    Added some information that should hopefully avoid people getting hit by the Secure Element issue, and a link to the AOSP issue tracker issue.

18/12/2011
    Removed old ZIP method. APK should work for most people.
    Rewrote OP from scratch.
    ICL53F 4.0.2 STANDARD APK works!

The standard Google APK works on ICL53F / 4.0.2

Just tested this ; NO FC's - No errors on provisioning card, etc.

This was pulled off by another user, I MD5'd it to the version I got from a Sprint Nexus S

MD5: 3729ced6fbee0c8c642fe074e893846f

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GQ6YS0KM

NOTE: I installed this on ICL53F CLEAN install with NO older Wallet ever present. I did NOT wipe or do anything else. So as long as Wallet was NEVER installed on your /system partition or you didn't replaced NFC files this should just work out of the box. If you ever did any of the above get a clean ICL53F installed FIRST (root or no root, doesn't matter) [mine was rooted but a friend got it working no root]
    Here ya go

There was an update today. Anyone got it so we VZW users can install?

I just installed it over the what was the last version on a VZW GNX - working perfectly.
    can someone upload the new apk?

Here you go :)

http://db.tt/2AAbl2Vz

Sent from my GNex {GSM} T-Mobile
    Wallet PIN Vulnerability

I am finally able to disclose a major vulnerability I found in Google Wallet. Basically, I am able to uncover your PIN without a single invalid attempt.

Please see below for our press release, detailed blog posting, demonstration app and source code.

Feel free to ask me any questions or report any issues.

The app is also able to give you some useful information about the state of your secure element. This may be helpful for people with SE issues.

https://zvelo.com/news/press-releas...vers-google-wallet-pin-security-vulnerability
    https://zvelo.com/blog/entry/google-wallet-security-pin-exposure-vulnerability
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10770509/WalletCracker.apk
    https://github.com/rubixconsulting/WalletCracker