[APP] z4root

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

zajko

Jul 9, 2009
Sundsvall
web.comhem.se
Froyo is a bit of a pain to root! Well, this fixes that.

Credits

z4ziggy
Sebastian Krahmer's rageagainstthecage

What this does

It is an app you install from the market or by side loading, that has a single button that will root your device.

How safe is this?

Should be 100% safe - nothing on disk is changed besides the root binaries, so if something goes wrong, simply rebooting the device should fix up any and all issues. Let me know if you find any bugs!

[size=+1]The new temporary root option works on 99% of available Android devices - no list yet of which specific devices are incompatible with the temporary root option - I am still trying to find out.[/size]

Here is the list so far of known compatible and incompatible devices for the permanent root option. I haven't actually tested these myself - I only have a Galaxy S device - but this list has been created by reports from users.

Compatible with [size=+2]PERMANENT[/size] root option

Samsung Galaxy S (All variants)
Backflip
Sony X10
Xperia Mini
Droid 2
Galaxy Tab
Galaxy I5700
Galaxy 3 I5800
Droid X
Samsung Acclaim
Cricket Huawei Ascend
Motorola Cliq
Huawei 8120
Hero
G1
Optimus T
Droid 1
Garmin Asus A50
Motorola Defy
LG Ally
Motorola Flipside
Motorola Milestone 2
Dell streak
X10 Mini Pro
Smartq v7 android 2.1

Incompatible with [size=+2]PERMANENT[/size] root option

Desire (requires nand unlock)
Desire HD (requires nand unlock)
Magic (unknown)
Evo (requires nand unlock)
G2 (requires nand unlock)
Archos 70 (unknown)
myTouch 3G (unknown)
Wildfire
Droid Incredible

z4rootscreenshot.png

Changelog

V1.0.0 : Initial Release
V1.1.0 : Will now open the application settings page if USB debugging is not enabled.
V1.2.0 : Unroot support, fix for devices with small max file size such as I5700, binaries in xbin rather than bin
V1.2.1 : Back to /system/bin for support for some devices. Fix for QVGA devices.
V1.2.2 : Adverts added (can be permanently disabled with menu option). Hopeful fix for devices such as Moment (Did not work).
V1.3.0 : Force unroot option, temporary root option.

Market

This application is available directly from the market. Search for 'z4root'

Donations

If this app helps you out, you can donate here:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webs...=PP-DonationsBF:btn_donateCC_LG.gif:NonHosted

Thank you soo much..

HTC Legend Stock Sense UI FroYo 2.2 - Temp Root [CHECK]
HTC Legend Stock Sense UI FroYo 2.2 - Perm Root [CHECK]

Just tried it and it worked.. nice one mate ;)

sudman

May 29, 2009
Reading
Hey, I tried to temp root my Samsung Galaxy S running on Froyo and then app froze, and then went back to home screen. After that I noticed that it was lagging like a ... well you know what I mean. So I used quadrant check and found that I was performing slower than the SGS on Eclair, It was faster that SGS runnig Eclair when I didn't try the root. I removed the app, tried re-installing, it failed first time, then second time it installed again. I'm now Permanently Rooting my SGS running Froyo, and it's on the "Running exploit in order to obtain root access..." page... it's been going for some time, but I'll post back once something happens.

Same as, let us know if you suceed, i'm on xxjpx firmware.

kimo91

Dec 21, 2010
cool deal i just installed it on my droid 2...will anything change in the "about phone" like anything to look for like a build number or anything?

xketch

Dec 23, 2009
Hi, I have a Cricket Huawei Ascend, I had a couple questions. What can I use to backup the files I will delete after I root? I wanted to get rid of the pre-installed apps. Secondly, been hearing z4root isnt on market place anymore, if it isnt and I want to manually install it, how do I do that? Do I put it on the sd card and if so where? Thanks

lostcrow

Nov 18, 2006
Doesn't work on Verizon Moto Droid

This doesn't work on Verizon Motorola Droid running 2.2.1 build FRG83D. Gets to second stage and crashes, then z4 will not open again until I reset the phone. This is the third app (easy root, SuperOneClick) I've tried to root this phone. Any ideas?

creuss

Dec 22, 2010
Can this apk be downloaded directly to my phone somehow and then opened with some sort of file manager like astro? Currently when I click the link to download it on my Droid X it starts but then says it was unsuccessful because the file type is not supported by my device? Thanks for any help in advance.

dscheinin

Dec 9, 2010
Tested on a SGS i9000B

Hi guys,
I have a i9000B and I tested z4root on my phone.
The results were very different.
First, I tried to get PERMANENT root. It took a lot of time (20 minutes) without any result. After that time I'd to take out the battery and reboot.
Then I tried TEMP root. For the first time I got root without any problem (it took about 10 minutes). But now, after several times I'm not able to get rooted. It only shows "Running exploit in order to obtain root access..." until I take out the battery.

My device: Samsung Galaxy S i9000B - Android 2.1 Eclair

Regards,
Diego
(sorry for my bad english)

Last edited:

Ivoto

Dec 10, 2008
Applied successfully the Z4Root on my Samsung Galaxy S i9000, installed then as well the lag-fix OCLF 2.0, everything seems to be fine, with the following exception: I cannot synchronize my MS Outlook contacts anymore, through Kies. It does not give error messages, it performs as usual and reaches 100% synchronization, but my contacts on the Galaxy remain empty...

seanubis

Sep 27, 2010
Well yea it's stuck on the same page..or status saying " Running eploit in order to obtain root access..." <-- longer than an hour

Same thing happened to me, and phone became unresponsive. I pulled the battery, waited a minute, and powered back on. Ran Z4Root again after startup, and it worked without a hitch.

creuss

Dec 22, 2010
For the 50 or so people here that have had this same problem as me where you attempt to download the z4root.apk and get "Unsuccessful Download File not supported" and no one has responded yet....

Here is the solution to your problem!!!!!!!!!1

Get Astro from the market if you don't already have it. it is free.
Open Astro and go to More --> Preferences --> and then check Enable Browser Download.
This will allow you to download the file successfully !!!1

Hope this helps!!

Reactions: ragin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Froyo is a bit of a pain to root! Well, this fixes that.

Credits

z4ziggy
    Sebastian Krahmer's rageagainstthecage

What this does

It is an app you install from the market or by side loading, that has a single button that will root your device.

How safe is this?

Should be 100% safe - nothing on disk is changed besides the root binaries, so if something goes wrong, simply rebooting the device should fix up any and all issues. Let me know if you find any bugs!

[size=+1]The new temporary root option works on 99% of available Android devices - no list yet of which specific devices are incompatible with the temporary root option - I am still trying to find out.[/size]

Here is the list so far of known compatible and incompatible devices for the permanent root option. I haven't actually tested these myself - I only have a Galaxy S device - but this list has been created by reports from users.

Compatible with [size=+2]PERMANENT[/size] root option

Samsung Galaxy S (All variants)
    Backflip
    Sony X10
    Xperia Mini
    Droid 2
    Galaxy Tab
    Galaxy I5700
    Galaxy 3 I5800
    Droid X
    Samsung Acclaim
    Cricket Huawei Ascend
    Motorola Cliq
    Huawei 8120
    Hero
    G1
    Optimus T
    Droid 1
    Garmin Asus A50
    Motorola Defy
    LG Ally
    Motorola Flipside
    Motorola Milestone 2
    Dell streak
    X10 Mini Pro
    Smartq v7 android 2.1

Incompatible with [size=+2]PERMANENT[/size] root option

Desire (requires nand unlock)
    Desire HD (requires nand unlock)
    Magic (unknown)
    Evo (requires nand unlock)
    G2 (requires nand unlock)
    Archos 70 (unknown)
    myTouch 3G (unknown)
    Wildfire
    Droid Incredible

z4rootscreenshot.png

Changelog

V1.0.0 : Initial Release
    V1.1.0 : Will now open the application settings page if USB debugging is not enabled.
    V1.2.0 : Unroot support, fix for devices with small max file size such as I5700, binaries in xbin rather than bin
    V1.2.1 : Back to /system/bin for support for some devices. Fix for QVGA devices.
    V1.2.2 : Adverts added (can be permanently disabled with menu option). Hopeful fix for devices such as Moment (Did not work).
    V1.3.0 : Force unroot option, temporary root option.

Market

This application is available directly from the market. Search for 'z4root'

Donations

If this app helps you out, you can donate here:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webs...=PP-DonationsBF:btn_donateCC_LG.gif:NonHosted
    if it works i expect it will be blocked with the next android update as usual
    will test on my girlfriends i5800 as soon as it´s back from service, its there for pin request issue...
    Thanks !!!
    This is great news !!!