FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TUT]Complete upgrading guide(root, unroot, flashing ROM & updates)

2,663 posts
Thanks Meter: 103

By benko286, Retired Forum Moderator on 6th June 2010, 11:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th July 2010, 12:46 PM |#391  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWhiteOne

there should be something wrong here,
I have a unbranded desire with HBOOT 0.80,
the original ROM is 1.19,
I was sucessfull to root my deisre,
for warranty reason I need to flash back to 1.19,
but I failed,
I can never come back,
I lost my desire warranty,
this really a nice guide for newbie,
but I think a kind reminder should be here to tell people if you have a HBOOT 0.80 and 1.19, you can never come back after you get your desire rooted.

Why can't you just unroot with something like the following guide?

http_android.modaco.com/content/htc-desire-desire-modaco-com/307683/howto-unroot-your-htc-desire/

13th July 2010, 09:01 PM |#392  
Thanks Meter: 129

More
I've installed Modaco r3.1 ROM a few weeks ago and I've just noticed it doesn't seem to include the OTA update that fixed the voicemail problem with the French carrier SFR (to sum it up: the number for voicemail is 123 but if you dial it, it calls an emergency number!!).

I asked Paul about this but got no reply. Is it possible to flash the missing part of the OTA update?
14th July 2010, 01:08 AM |#393  
Thanks Meter: 59

More
Hi all

Eventually managed to root my desire (had to use the R5 method on XDA Dev as the R6 on Modaco refused to work).

I have downloaded the Contacts.apk from Modaco. Could someone explain how to 'push it' to the device? I'd really appreciate it.

I've been reading this guide, but I don't know how to get to the 'recovery screen with green menu' without re-rooting the whole thing, which I don't really want to do.

Cheers

Mike
14th July 2010, 07:42 AM |#394  
Flag Al Ahmadi
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hello All,

As per the subject i had my HTC Desire purchased in INDIAN grey market (Desire officially not released in INDIA yet)....Received yesterday and everything is O.K....except the Chinese suggestions while typing....

Devise booting up with default HTC Welcome screen....FYI

Software details of my Desire is as listed below..

Bootloader Version i Have is 0.80

Firmware Version
2.1-update1

Baseband Version
32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.00.02_2

Kernel Version
2.6.29-b7e82785
[email protected] #1

Build Number5
1.19.707.7 CL171460 release-keys

Software Number

Browser Version
Webkit 3.1

Can someone help me to figure out what method should i use for Rooting my Desire???? As new to android i am confused with the several methods listed in this thread.....

Also wanted to know, What official generic update i have to choose for my device...And the manufacturing country of my device...HOW????

Thanks in Advance......
14th July 2010, 08:13 AM |#395  
Flag Novo mesto, Slovenia
Thanks Meter: 1

More
benko286...thank you very much! At first I had problems with step2 device not found error, but as someone previously said....just wait a minute or 2 after you go to recovery menu...
14th July 2010, 11:29 AM |#396  
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike freegan

Hi all

Eventually managed to root my desire (had to use the R5 method on XDA Dev as the R6 on Modaco refused to work).

I have downloaded the Contacts.apk from Modaco. Could someone explain how to 'push it' to the device? I'd really appreciate it.

I've been reading this guide, but I don't know how to get to the 'recovery screen with green menu' without re-rooting the whole thing, which I don't really want to do.

Cheers

Mike

I think you want to install the contacts.apk, but your guide is about removing apps?
However, to push it (=installing) on the phone, copy it on the sd card, open a file manager (get one from the market), and execute the apk.
To get into the recovery mode with green menu, turn your phone with the back button held down on, then run the bootloader, select recovery, and when the red triangle screen appears, press and hold 'Volume Up' then tap 'Power'. Up to this point you haven't changed anything (so you still have root).
14th July 2010, 01:05 PM |#397  
Thanks Meter: 59

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBirdf

I think you want to install the contacts.apk, but your guide is about removing apps?
However, to push it (=installing) on the phone, copy it on the sd card, open a file manager (get one from the market), and execute the apk.
To get into the recovery mode with green menu, turn your phone with the back button held down on, then run the bootloader, select recovery, and when the red triangle screen appears, press and hold 'Volume Up' then tap 'Power'. Up to this point you haven't changed anything (so you still have root).

Hi, thanks for the help.

I can't install the .apk as usual as I believe that because it's a system app it is trying to write to the system folder, which isn't allowed, even with root access.

And I was talking about the last paragraph of that post, about adding files. Is n't there another green recovery menu I seem to remember from when I was rooting
14th July 2010, 02:30 PM |#398  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:

1. !Some people reported that this method needs to have GoldCard(in most cases you won't need it) even if you have unbranded device, more here
2. You need to have Android SDK and HTC Sync installed(for Windows users)
3. Download following items:
---- If you have a bootloader version 0.75.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.15.xxx.x or below - DOWNLOAD / MIRROR
---- If you have a bootloader version 0.80.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.21.xxx.x or below - DOWNLOAD / MIRROR
4. Unzip the file you downloaded to a directory, then open a command prompt / terminal window at that directory.
5. Turn off your HTC Desire, then turn it back on with the 'back' button held down. You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box. Connect the phone to the computer.
6. In the command prompt/terminal window, enter either 'step1-windows.bat'(for windows), './step1-mac.sh'(for mac) or './step1-linux.sh'(for linux)
7. Navigate to the 'BOOTLOADER' and then 'RECOVERY' option on the menu, using the volume buttons to move and the power button to select.
8. In the command prompt/terminal window, enter either 'step2-windows.bat', './step2-mac.sh' or './step2-linux.sh' as appropriate.
9. When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery'("green") screen. Select Wipe and then press Wipe data/factory reset
10. Once complete you should be back in the main menu. Now select the option Flash zip from sdcard and than choose rootedupdate.zip
11. Once back in the main menu, choose restart the phone - the rooting process is now finished

ok guys i dont understand how to do the bolded things + also on this video tut
http://theunlockr.com/2010/06/07/how...he-htc-desire/ theres no such things? does that mean the vid is newer than the method described ? or im misunderstanding something?
14th July 2010, 02:36 PM |#399  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FroyoFrenzy

Why can't you just unroot with something like the following guide?

http_android.modaco.com/content/htc-desire-desire-modaco-com/307683/howto-unroot-your-htc-desire/

it does not work at all.
14th July 2010, 06:24 PM |#400  

More
Noobie questions regarding Froyo
I have just successfully rooted my Desire and flashed the latest Defrost Rom from the SD card.
i also updated the radio mentioned in the thread and the battery meter.

i followed the fantastic instructions from here but mainly step by step inctructions from theunlockr.com videos

the reason for rooting was A2SD and Adobe Flash 10.1

now i have a few nooby questions i cant find in the faqs on here.

1. Having looked at the LeeDrOiD Mod V1.2b , the instructions mention that you can upgrade using clockworkmod Recovery on ROM Manager. i downloaded ROM Manager and installed it. Can i upgrade a ROM from within Froyo? i thought to upgrade to another ROM you had to do reboot the phone and press Power and Volume Down, then choses Recovery.

2. It also mentioned to run Nandroid Backup, is this an app on the Market and does it backup my current OS incase things go wrong when flashing a new ROM?

3. With the new A2SD+ do you have to do anything with your SD card, it seemed to just work for me when i put my 8gb SD acrd in that i used with the Stock TMobile ROM that came with the phone. With the old A2SD do you have to use Rom Manager to prepare your SD card, as I noticed some older ROMS use the old A2SD.

4. With the new LeeDrOiD or DeVillain 1.0 Froyo ROM that has SenseUI built in , will this mean that HTC Sync works again, as this is missing from Defrost ROM.

sorry if this has been covered already, but some threads are hundreds of pages
14th July 2010, 06:36 PM |#401  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 911

More
ok here we go

1. rommanager will let you download and boot into clockwork mod recovery, from there it will flash the rom

2. nandroid backup is also one of the options in recovery, no need to download anything

3. to use apps2sd you need an ext partition, this can also easly done using rommanager, you dont need a swap file so set that to 0mb

4 both leedroid and devillian both have sence, i would advise leedroid tho as its great, im using it
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
orange uk htc desire, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)