No USB 3.0 on MacBook Pro with USB 3.0 support

Search This thread
Jan 11, 2011
I have a MacBook Pro Mid 2012 13"(MacBook 9,2) with USB 3.0 ports but when I connect my phone i dont see the usb 3.0 icon or option in the pull down just the regular ones and i have tried other micro-usb 3.0 cables with the same results

Cap.png

my question is; is it possible to get usb 3.0 to work on a mac.. oh and yes i am using Android File Transfer and i have tries kies as well

Last edited:

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
I have a MacBook Pro Mid 2012 13"(MacBook 9,2) with USB 3.0 ports but when I connect my phone i dont see the usb 3.0 icon or option in the pull down just the regular ones and i have tried other micro-usb 3.0 cables with the same results

View attachment 2895382

my question is; is it possible to get usb 3.0 to work on a mac.. oh and yes i am using Android File Transfer and i have tries kies as well

You need to go to the usb connected in pull down and select usb 3.0 mode....by default the connection is in usb 2.0 mode
Not sure if it will work on mac, but that method works on pc

Starting to belive it's because OS X doesn't have native MTP driver support

I would agree with you here, however, when I first got my Note 3 and connected to my MBP (same model as OP), it used to display the option, but ever since NB4 and beyond I haven't ever seen the option again.

The only thing I haven't tried, is launching Android File Transfer before plugging it in to see if that makes a difference, but I uninstalled that due to NE6 (and beyond)'s ability to show the internal and external sdcards as mount points.

Jan 11, 2011
I would agree with you here, however, when I first got my Note 3 and connected to my MBP (same model as OP), it used to display the option, but ever since NB4 and beyond I haven't ever seen the option again.

The only thing I haven't tried, is launching Android File Transfer before plugging it in to see if that makes a difference, but I uninstalled that due to NE6 (and beyond)'s ability to show the internal and external sdcards as mount points.

no it didn't work but i am interested how did you achieve making it mount internal/external mount points

Jan 11, 2011
after more research it apears more and more that the USB 3.0 is related to driver issues and not yet supported in OS X .... ill be setting up a bootcamp with windows 7 soon for testing but i'm almost certain its a issue with being supported under the os and not hardware...