[Q] Droid 3 ICS-Root?

Search This thread

y0himba

Sep 16, 2008
In a house.
www.y0himba.net
Hello. I will be receiving a Droid 3 as a warranty replacement tomorrow. It comes with ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) pre-installed. I have been searching, and cannot find a way to root the Droid 3.

I am hoping I missed it. If someone can point me to the tutorial for rooting the Droid 3 with ICS, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

redsox985

Aug 30, 2011
PA
Hello. I will be receiving a Droid 3 as a warranty replacement tomorrow. It comes with ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) pre-installed. I have been searching, and cannot find a way to root the Droid 3.

I am hoping I missed it. If someone can point me to the tutorial for rooting the Droid 3 with ICS, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Where did you hear it will come with ICS...? Because it won't.

y0himba

Sep 16, 2008
In a house.
www.y0himba.net
I was told this by the Verizon rep. It is a warranty replacement. he specifically said it has ICS on it. No, I am not mistaken. Maybe he was?

Even if it doesn't, I have been unable to find a tutorial for rooting the Droid 3.

leerpsp

May 13, 2011
not saying
If you do get one with ics on it then I will be calling Verizon and having them replace my phone for one like that

Sent from my XT862 using XDA

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
If you do get one with ics on it then I will be calling Verizon and having them replace my phone for one like that

Sent from my XT862 using XDA

If you get a phone w/ics system dump before anything else please, if you need a hand lots of people here will help (or on irc) but since moto still has the d3 listed as "evaluating" for ics and haven't even started working on a build I would say the rep is more than likely mistaken. Hopefully not but if moto had an ics build for the d3 I imagine we would have heard about a soak or something. As for your question I would probably try the root for d4 and if that didn't work check out what they're using on the nexus etc

Last edited:

redsox985

Aug 30, 2011
PA
We would still have a locked bootloader and the same kernel issues though. I'd put money on the rep being wrong, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

y0himba

Sep 16, 2008
In a house.
www.y0himba.net
You folks were right. He was wrong. It has 2.3.4.

It runs pretty fast, compares well to the DX2. I wanted CM ROM on it, but none are completely working. Camera has issues GSM FCs and so forth. I just wish my DX2 would work. Haven't used a physical keyboard in a while either.

What do you folks think of your Droid 3s?

slayer621

Dec 12, 2011
What do you folks think of your Droid 3s?

I bought my D3 FOR the keyboard. I came from an enV touch and the thought of a touchscreen keyboard that wasn't 100% perfect made me shiver. Looking back, I would definitely have gone with a SGS II. I didn't know anything about the D3's bootloader being locked and the full touch screen is definitely worth the unlocked bootloader. That being said, I still love the keyboard. It's better than any I have ever used.

I don't hate my Droid 3. It runs my ICS roms rather smoothly and the only thing that I wished worked is Google Chrome. I use the camera but I found that I have not wanted to use the video recorder since switching; even if it DID work.

If you want a CM ROM that is pretty stable, I'd recommend 7.2 found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1308924

It's a bit more stable than CM9, though it still has some bugs. Stable enough for a daily driver in my opinion.

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
My d3 is alright but if I was sent one now with any option of sending back either for a different phone or terminate a contract(within 30 days or whatever and setup a new one) I would jump @ the chance, just because its a little old, 1g ram would be nice but imo it's like dual core phones, 1 core is wasted 90% of the time, upgradable to ics would be very nice too, custom kernel would be nicest though(htc,lg etc etc). I guess what I'm saying is its decent but I wouldn't buy one now.

Sent from my XT860 using XDA

Reactions: slayer621

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
I'd say droid 3 is all about the keyboard. Without the keyboard, there would be many better phones. Phones with 1GB ram, unlocked bootloader and a better screen.
However, I'd rather have a keyboard than have those ^ things without a keyboard :).

y0himba

Sep 16, 2008
In a house.
www.y0himba.net
It seems to run faster, and more smooth than my Droid X2. It's ugly though, and it will take some getting used to a physical keyboard again. I have it rooted, radiocom hacked. I want to tweak the camera, but the thread is confusing me a bit as to which zip to use, or which edits to make to build.pro and the XML file. I would prefer to edit rather than install a zip as I don't really want a bootstrap on the phone.

App Brain is making me frustrated though, since Fast Web Installer will not log in.

So far, I am loving this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My d3 is alright but if I was sent one now with any option of sending back either for a different phone or terminate a contract(within 30 days or whatever and setup a new one) I would jump @ the chance, just because its a little old, 1g ram would be nice but imo it's like dual core phones, 1 core is wasted 90% of the time, upgradable to ics would be very nice too, custom kernel would be nicest though(htc,lg etc etc). I guess what I'm saying is its decent but I wouldn't buy one now.

Sent from my XT860 using XDA