4.2.2 to 4.4.2

Search This thread

mr4r4n

Apr 3, 2008
NY
i just got my motomaker X that thankfully was still running 4.4,from what i was reading (and correct me if im wrong) i needed to RSD back to 4.2.2 to start the root process? and if i have to go all the way back can i use the safestrap 4.4.2 with the kernel and radio zip straight from 4.2.2?

dray_jr

Jul 3, 2009
Fort Myers,FL
i just got my motomaker X that thankfully was still running 4.4,from what i was reading (and correct me if im wrong) i needed to RSD back to 4.2.2 to start the root process? and if i have to go all the way back can i use the safestrap 4.4.2 with the kernel and radio zip straight from 4.2.2?

well that link is to every guide you would need to get your phone rooted.
but here are a couple question i need you to answer and i can point you in a better direction

1.what Carrier is your device on
2. is your device a Dev Edition or no

answer these questions for me and i will point you to the guide you need to use

here is also some other basic info you may want to know.

if you device is a non Developer edition then you will only be able to root up to 4.4 as of right now the only way to root 4.4.2 is with a device with its bootloader unlocked. the only way to unlock a devices bootloader is for it to be a developer edition or with a carrier that allows the devices bootloader to be unlocked.

hope all this information helps you and i will be waiting for you to answer my questions so i can point you in the right direction.

mr4r4n

Apr 3, 2008
NY
Its a non developer edition moto maker x VZW , I'm actually had issues with rooting it, but finally got it under 4.2.2 and was also having issues because I was using my work computer, and unfortunately that is the only computer I have access to that works, I saw on the rootzwiki that there is a safestrap version of 4.4.2 and it has the kernel and radio to flash and I was hoping I'd be able to do a jump to that

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
I haven't done the RockMyMoto/MotoWpNoMo processes on the locked bootloader X. There were some threads where some had written up the process with their tips and hints inline.. You might want to try and follow one of them if you've had issues. Just be sure to NOT install the 4.4.2 OTA on your phone in the process!!

If you ultimately need help getting to rooted 4.4 w/Safestrap 4.4.2, you'll probably want to have a thread title that is better suited to it.

For rooting you'll usually get pointed to one of the many threads on rooting via SlapMyMoto, but for safestrap with 4.4.2, I've only seen posts/links back to rootzwiki.com, so you might want to check over there.

mr4r4n

Apr 3, 2008
NY
I managed to install a safe strap version of 4.4.2 and kernel/ radio files so far without having to have had gone through 4.4 only issue is getting busy box going

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk

D

Darth

I managed to install a safe strap version of 4.4.2 and kernel/ radio files so far without having to have had gone through 4.4 only issue is getting busy box going

But on 4.4.2 you will have write protection enabled....so if you hard reboot or power down, all changes you made will be gone.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

D

Darth

Im not 100 percent up to date on all moto happenings, since giving it to my wife....but unless something has changed, there is no fully working root on 4.4.2. Only root with write protection enabled. So if you do a normal reboot...or it powers off....any root changes have to be done again, as they are all wiped.

mr4r4n

Apr 3, 2008
NY
I thought so as well especially considering I did not come from 4.4 when installing 4.4.2 lol

D

Darth

I don't think that is the case with 4.4.2 safestrap running on a 4.4 device.

Yeah...im not a safestrap expert. Lol

If I accidentally bought a phone I couldn't lock, I'd have sold it or returned it the minute I found out....and shelled out more for one I could unlock. ?

mr4r4n

Apr 3, 2008
NY
I'm working on a script for the boot loader key, so it will happen believe you me, I just want working root in the mean time as since android 2.0 on the og droid I've been rooted, lol

D

Darth

I'm working on a script for the boot loader key, so it will happen believe you me, I just want working root in the mean time as since android 2.0 on the og droid I've been rooted, lol

I'm sure many have tried unlocking the bootloader to claim the $1200 bounty....and died trying....but I wish you luck. ?

Jumnhy

Apr 6, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
Im not 100 percent up to date on all moto happenings, since giving it to my wife....but unless something has changed, there is no fully working root on 4.4.2. Only root with write protection enabled. So if you do a normal reboot...or it powers off....any root changes have to be done again, as they are all wiped.

Hi, I keep seeing references to being able to get root with write protection enabled. That would at least be better than no root at all for some things, right? And yet I can't find info on how to get to that point. Links, advice, search keywords? I've perused the massive reference guides looking for more concrete info and I may just have missed the obvious. Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Did some more reading, feel like I may have found the disappointing confirmation that root isn't possible on 4.4.2. Clarification: If you managed to root before 4.4.2, you can retain root and upgrade to 4.4.2 with SafeStrap, but you won't be able to disable write protection, so you lose any changes you have made invoking superuser privileges after a soft reset of the device. If you didn't have root before, and you can't unlock the bootloader now, you're completely screwed, rootwise. Correct?

Last edited:
D

Darth

Hi, I keep seeing references to being able to get root with write protection enabled. That would at least be better than no root at all for some things, right? And yet I can't find info on how to get to that point. Links, advice, search keywords? I've perused the massive reference guides looking for more concrete info and I may just have missed the obvious. Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Did some more reading, feel like I may have found the disappointing confirmation that root isn't possible on 4.4.2. Clarification: If you managed to root before 4.4.2, you can retain root and upgrade to 4.4.2 with SafeStrap, but you won't be able to disable write protection, so you lose any changes you have made invoking superuser privileges after a soft reset of the device. If you didn't have root before, and you can't unlock the bootloader now, you're completely screwed, rootwise. Correct?

It seems there's a couple ROMs now that may allow you root with write protection disabled on 4.4.2....IF you're still on 4.2.2 or 4.4. They are in development section, and there's a thread about it in general I think.

But if you're already on 4.4.2, no, you're out of luck. For now anyway. You can't downgrade 4.4.2 to do the process.