[GUIDE][KENZO/KATE] Install LineageOS with locked bootloader

Search This thread

khajiit

Dec 7, 2016
Vienna
F7Ikckq.png

Hello guys,
This is my first guide and it is focused on people who just bought their Redmi Note 3 (KENZO/KATE) and having problems with officially unlocking their bootloader. (stuck @ 50% like me)
If you don't want to wait on stock MiUi until you can officially unlock your bootloader (because you need to wait additional ~2 weeks after you received permission from Xiaomi until their servers updated) or you want that extra security layer with locked bootloader this guide is made for you!
Since official LineageOS 14.1 just released, i thought some of you guys are interested in this awesome, easy and safe method.
To save you time searching hours and hours through this forum i made this quick summery.

Downloads :

Instructions : (follow them carefully!)
  • Extract MiUi 8 Global Developer ROM and replace recovery.img (in images folder) with ZCX TWRP's recovery.img
  • Flash using Mi Flash (in EDL mode) and check clean_all
  • After finished flashing process unplug and press [volume up]+[power] until Mi logo shows up then release buttons and it boots to TWRP (change TWRP language from chinese to english: click here)
  • Reboot to system (if you get prompt: "Disable stock recovery replace now" > just swipe to allow disable)
  • Boot to MIUI and complete initial setup (important step - don't skip! first boot will take around 10 minutes)
    -----------------------------------------------
  • Shutdown device and boot to TWRP again
  • (optinal) Backup every partition and safe this backup on an external device
  • Wipe > Advanced Wipe > check Dalvik / ART Cache, System, Data, Internal Storage, Cache > Swipe to Wipe
  • Flash Latest firmware, LineageOS 14.1 and GApps (ARM64, Android 7.1)
  • Reboot to system and you're DONE!!

updated method (works with newest MIUI version) :
There is a new updated method by kuan improved by @N.G. and @razr_96. Thanks for mentioning.

Advantages:
  • no need to download full MIUI fastboot rom
  • much faster method, only takes seconds to flash (instead of 4 minutes and you don't have to complete initial MIUI setup which also takes around 5 minutes)
  • this method is better if you want to stay on MIUI and just want to root
  • you can stay on your current MIUI version (even 7.1.19 which is currently the latest) and don't have to wipe your data
Disadvantages:
  • this doesn't clean everything, i would recommend to clean everything if you want to install a custom rom
  • you have to download a file i can not verify

• (optinal) Backup your current MIUI data (Settings > Additional settings > Backup & reset > Local backups > Back up) and copy it to an external media
  • Download and extract: Kenzo or Kate
  • (optinal) Replace included ZCX TWRP recovery.img (in images folder) with your preferred TWRP recovery.img
  • Flash using Mi Flash 20160401 (in EDL mode) and check flash all except data and storage (not clean_all like in the method mentioned above)
    BE AWARE: This MiFlash version is different to the MiFlash version mentioned above! This version does only support 64 bit systems and you need atleast Windows 7!
  • After finished flashing process unplug and press [volume up]+[power] until Mi logo shows up then release buttons and it boots to TWRP (change TWRP language from chinese to english: click here)
  • Reboot to system

Video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCONN1_IPuU

Troubleshooting :
  • [APP][ROOT][7.1.1]QuickSettings Flashlight fix for all nougat roms
  • If something goes wrong, start over again and follow my guide step by step.
  • This guide only works with MiUi 8 Global Developer ROM 6.11.3 or lower.
  • Put MIUI 8 Global Developer ROM in "C:\ROM" - MiFlash tends to have problems if there are any spaces in folder names.
  • If you flashed something wrong and have no simcard signal anymore or no IMEI look here for help: EFS Recovery Guide
  • If you didn't remove your passcode before you did a backuprestore using TWRP:
    TWRP > Advanced > Filemanager > /data/system > delete locksettings.db

Issues with locked bootloader :
  • none

(advanced technique) Higher security with locked bootloader:
  • Thanks @LeoYL !

A little addition: If you want a even higher level of security, which is nobody except you can flash packages in recovery, you can create a recovery with limited functions and forced signature verification, with your own keys embedded in that recovery.
    This is just like the original status of nearly all Android devices when they are shipped: only signed OTA update packages can be applied via recovery. Normally, the packages are signed by OEMs; however, you can become the "OEM" by creating your own private key, which is used during package signing.

Just follow these guides to create a recovery with your own keys. I use CM 13.0 recovery, since it only has basic recovery features, including installing a ZIP file, factory reset, and it has mandatory ZIP signature verification.
    http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/31765.html
    https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=62796459&postcount=2

The reason why I don't use TWRP is that it allows update packages with any signature. Although you can enforce signature verification, it can also be switched off in TWRP settings.

Now you get a recovery which only accepts ZIP packages that are signed with your own private key. The only downside is you need to sign every package you want to flash each time. But this also means that if a stranger picks your lost phone up, they can't tamper your phone's OS. If the "reset protection" feature works with locked bootloader on our Redmi Note 3, the only distance between our phones' security and Google devices' is edl mode and encryption.

Wanna try other custom roms?

credits :

If this guide was helpful to you, don't forget to press the Thanks! button :good:
Enjoy your new custom rom!

khajiit

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170204-231203.png
    Screenshot_20170204-231203.png
    135.2 KB · Views: 16,599
  • Screenshot_20170204-231212.png
    Screenshot_20170204-231212.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 16,351
  • Screenshot_20170204-231153.jpg
    Screenshot_20170204-231153.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 16,576
  • unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    139.7 KB · Views: 15,420
  • unnamed_1.png
    unnamed_1.png
    66.1 KB · Views: 14,745
Last edited:

HOSEINEN

Oct 30, 2012
Redmi Note 3 SE _ Kate

Thanks bro worked on my Kate :good: ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170128-142956.png
    Screenshot_20170128-142956.png
    103 KB · Views: 40,799

blitzpeace

Jan 28, 2017
I tried this with the Global developer ROM for my kenzo.
When I try to get into TWRP, the Mi logo flashes but nothing else happens.
When I let the MIUI ROM start up and try to get into the recovery again,
it only shows me to connect my device to the Mi PC Manager.

What am I doing wrong?

khajiit

Dec 7, 2016
Vienna
I tried this with the Global developer ROM for my kenzo.
When I try to get into TWRP, the Mi logo flashes but nothing else happens.
When I let the MIUI ROM start up and try to get into the recovery again,
it only shows me to connect my device to the Mi PC Manager.

What am I doing wrong?

Did you follow my instructions correctly?
- replaced recovery.img with ZCX TWRP recovery.img - check?
- EDL mode - check?
- remove usb cable after flash and press volume up+power button until mi logo shows up and then release buttons - check?
- are you sure you have kenzo version? did you download rom for kenzo? - check?
!! caution: the rom linked in this guide is only for kate version!!

Last edited:

fairyrobot

Jan 8, 2013
thank you ! I've been trying the official route for 6 weeks, getting absolutely nowhere (even though I finally do have unlock permission).

this method worked like a charm, finally I'm off MIUI and running LineageOS :)

blitzpeace

Jan 28, 2017
Did you follow my instructions correctly?
- replaced recovery.img with ZCX TWRP recovery.img - check?
- EDL mode - check?
- remove usb cable after flash and press volume up+power button until mi logo shows up and then release buttons - check?
- are you sure you have kenzo version? did you download rom for kenzo? - check?
!! caution: the rom linked in this guide is only for kate version!!

1. I guess, do I have to replace only the recovery.img or more? If only recovery.img, then yes!
2. Yes, otherwise MiFlash would give me an error instead of flashing the ROM
3. Yes, but it appears only for an blink of an eye and then disappears again, the phone screen then stays dark
4. Yes, the newest one. Maybe that's the problem?

Skex506

Dec 21, 2015
Hi, I just got this ROM but when I plug the device in my computer it keeps connecting/disconnecting rapidly. Did I do something wrong?

Rifatspir

Aug 5, 2014
Dhaka
Very helpful, but i would like to suggest people to use miunlocktool from windows 7-32 bit operating system. Miunlocktool perfectly works in windows 7 & don't stuck at 50%. Before unlock process, just "add oem unlocking device" from MIUI developer setting then start unlocking process..... Its really works for me & also others who followed these steps. :)

khajiit

Dec 7, 2016
Vienna
Hi, I just got this ROM but when I plug the device in my computer it keeps connecting/disconnecting rapidly. Did I do something wrong?

Yes, you did something wrong :(
Are you sure you have a "KATE" device not "KENZO"?
Follow my guide carefully and try again. It works 100%!

Very helpful, but i would like to suggest people to use miunlocktool from windows 7-32 bit operating system. Miunlocktool perfectly works in windows 7 & don't stuck at 50%. Before unlock process, just "add oem unlocking device" from MIUI developer setting then start unlocking process..... Its really works for me & also others who followed these steps. :)

You don't think i've/we've tried everything? Official unlock works for you? Great! But it doesn't work for everyone... trust me.
Can we please stop to suggest to unlock officially with different guides? This guide is for people who don't want to or can't unlock officially.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-01-27-09-24-07-081_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-01-27-09-24-07-081_com.android.settings.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 620
Last edited:

Rifatspir

Aug 5, 2014
Dhaka
You don't think i've/we've tried everything? Official unlock works for you? Great! But it doesn't work for everyone... trust me.
Can we please stop to suggest to unlock officially with different guides? This guide is for people who don't want to or can't unlock officially.
I also said that million times to other people who suggest me different types of official method. When i success after trying couple of methods then i realized it is possible to unlock kate. I'm not saying that your post is not helpful, i saw many post like that, mostly in whirlpool forum. BTW, good luck with your tips :good:

khajiit

Dec 7, 2016
Vienna
Sure it is possible to unlock Kate officially but you have to wait for Xiaomi to get permission and wait for their servers to syncronize.
You have to wait up to 1 month (depending on your location and other things) until their servers confirms that you have permission to unlock (unable to verify thing). All these guides outside are working but it's a matter of time until they start working. That's why they didn't work for you in first place. :good:

khajiit

Dec 7, 2016
Vienna
hi @khajiit

They say not enough storage when I want to flash it. Could you please help me with this?

052f5ff74a1d4d978d754ba4699ab875.png

You are using a really old MiFlash version, try updating to the version mentioned in this guide.
And rename your folder "Redmi note 3 pro" to "Redmi.note.3.pro" or "Redmi_note_3_pro".
MiFlash tends to have problem with spaces.

Last edited:
Reactions: actuallyaka

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    F7Ikckq.png

Hello guys,
    This is my first guide and it is focused on people who just bought their Redmi Note 3 (KENZO/KATE) and having problems with officially unlocking their bootloader. (stuck @ 50% like me)
    If you don't want to wait on stock MiUi until you can officially unlock your bootloader (because you need to wait additional ~2 weeks after you received permission from Xiaomi until their servers updated) or you want that extra security layer with locked bootloader this guide is made for you!
    Since official LineageOS 14.1 just released, i thought some of you guys are interested in this awesome, easy and safe method.
    To save you time searching hours and hours through this forum i made this quick summery.

Downloads :

• Extract MiUi 8 Global Developer ROM and replace recovery.img (in images folder) with ZCX TWRP's recovery.img
    • Flash using Mi Flash (in EDL mode) and check clean_all
    • Reboot to system (if you get prompt: "Disable stock recovery replace now" > just swipe to allow disable)
    • Boot to MIUI and complete initial setup (important step - don't skip! first boot will take around 10 minutes)
      -----------------------------------------------
    • Shutdown device and boot to TWRP again
    • (optinal) Backup every partition and safe this backup on an external device
    • Wipe > Advanced Wipe > check Dalvik / ART Cache, System, Data, Internal Storage, Cache > Swipe to Wipe
    • Flash Latest firmware, LineageOS 14.1 and GApps (ARM64, Android 7.1)
    • Reboot to system and you're DONE!!

updated method (works with newest MIUI version) :
    There is a new updated method by kuan improved by @N.G. and @razr_96. Thanks for mentioning.

Advantages:
    • no need to download full MIUI fastboot rom
    • much faster method, only takes seconds to flash (instead of 4 minutes and you don't have to complete initial MIUI setup which also takes around 5 minutes)
    • this method is better if you want to stay on MIUI and just want to root
    • you can stay on your current MIUI version (even 7.1.19 which is currently the latest) and don't have to wipe your data
    Disadvantages:
    • this doesn't clean everything, i would recommend to clean everything if you want to install a custom rom
    • you have to download a file i can not verify

• (optinal) Backup your current MIUI data (Settings > Additional settings > Backup & reset > Local backups > Back up) and copy it to an external media
    • Download and extract: Kenzo or Kate
    • (optinal) Replace included ZCX TWRP recovery.img (in images folder) with your preferred TWRP recovery.img
    • Flash using Mi Flash 20160401 (in EDL mode) and check flash all except data and storage (not clean_all like in the method mentioned above)
      BE AWARE: This MiFlash version is different to the MiFlash version mentioned above! This version does only support 64 bit systems and you need atleast Windows 7!
    • Reboot to system

Video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCONN1_IPuU

Troubleshooting :
    • [APP][ROOT][7.1.1]QuickSettings Flashlight fix for all nougat roms
    • If something goes wrong, start over again and follow my guide step by step.
    • This guide only works with MiUi 8 Global Developer ROM 6.11.3 or lower.
    • Put MIUI 8 Global Developer ROM in "C:\ROM" - MiFlash tends to have problems if there are any spaces in folder names.
    • If you flashed something wrong and have no simcard signal anymore or no IMEI look here for help: EFS Recovery Guide
    • If you didn't remove your passcode before you did a backuprestore using TWRP:
      TWRP > Advanced > Filemanager > /data/system > delete locksettings.db

Issues with locked bootloader :
    • none

(advanced technique) Higher security with locked bootloader:
    • Thanks @LeoYL !

A little addition: If you want a even higher level of security, which is nobody except you can flash packages in recovery, you can create a recovery with limited functions and forced signature verification, with your own keys embedded in that recovery.
      This is just like the original status of nearly all Android devices when they are shipped: only signed OTA update packages can be applied via recovery. Normally, the packages are signed by OEMs; however, you can become the "OEM" by creating your own private key, which is used during package signing.

Just follow these guides to create a recovery with your own keys. I use CM 13.0 recovery, since it only has basic recovery features, including installing a ZIP file, factory reset, and it has mandatory ZIP signature verification.
      http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/31765.html
      https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=62796459&postcount=2

The reason why I don't use TWRP is that it allows update packages with any signature. Although you can enforce signature verification, it can also be switched off in TWRP settings.

Now you get a recovery which only accepts ZIP packages that are signed with your own private key. The only downside is you need to sign every package you want to flash each time. But this also means that if a stranger picks your lost phone up, they can't tamper your phone's OS. If the "reset protection" feature works with locked bootloader on our Redmi Note 3, the only distance between our phones' security and Google devices' is edl mode and encryption.

Wanna try other custom roms?

credits :

If this guide was helpful to you, don't forget to press the Thanks! button :good:
    Enjoy your new custom rom!

khajiit
    So if anyone wants to try it out I uploaded "fastboot roms" (20MB) according to method I described above: Kenzo or Kate . Remember to make backups.

Instructions:
    1. Extract chosen zip to a directory without spaces.
    2. Optional: Replace recovery.img with your chosen TWRP, included one is ZCX.
    3. In EDL mode, browse to the fastboot rom directory with MiFlash, and use the "flash all except data and storage" option. You don't need to clean flash. Should take just a few seconds.
    4. Lastly, unplug and press volume up+power until the MI logo shows up, then release the buttons. TWRP should show up.

It's really the same method as in op, just the appropriate steps removed due to the fastboot rom including only the bootloader and recovery.
    4. Yes, the newest one. Maybe that's the problem?

Yes, that's the problem! This method only works until version 6.11.3.
    You have to flash 6.11.3 (or earlier) to get TWRP and then you can flash what you want.
    Good luck!
    Thank you so much for this guide!!!!
    Just got my redmi note 3 pro from goldway used this method and it worked like a charm!
    Now i am running aosip but what is that theme you are using? It is not default, isn't it?

It's called Swift Black

can i also use this to flash marshmallow custom roms?

Yes but don't flash the nougat firmware and download accoriding GApps for Android 6.0!
    If you have TWRP on your RN3P you can flash everything, if it's not working it wouldn't work with unlocked bootloader either.
    This method also works with Kenzo, obviously using the Kenzo miui rom and firmware instead.