FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Root cause for Gear 2 high battery consumption found, at least for non-Samsung phones

185 posts
Thanks Meter: 63

By mpogr, Senior Member on 21st May 2014, 06:13 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th August 2014, 02:36 AM |#101  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
root Works fine for me.

10th August 2014, 11:35 AM |#102  
Flag Bucharest

More
Hi,

After installing the service battery drain is well better but I cannot figure out how to sync my favorites after adding a contact and also the logs seems not to sync at all. Does anybody else seen this?

Thanks,
Alex.
11th August 2014, 08:21 AM |#103  
Flag Bucharest

More
After multiple tests I come to the conclusion that with the service enabled the logs and contacts will not sync at all, ever. In order to get the logs and contacts to sync again you need to remount / rw and then disable the service with systemctl and reboot. Afterwards the sync works fine but the battery drain is of course back. Does anybody have an idea on how to keep the gear syncing without affecting the battery life? Is this behavior something expected or it is just my gear? Thanks in advance for any reply.
11th August 2014, 10:22 AM |#104  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 6,248

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiu

After multiple tests I come to the conclusion that with the service enabled the logs and contacts will not sync at all, ever. In order to get the logs and contacts to sync again you need to remount / rw and then disable the service with systemctl and reboot. Afterwards the sync works fine but the battery drain is of course back. Does anybody have an idea on how to keep the gear syncing without affecting the battery life? Is this behavior something expected or it is just my gear? Thanks in advance for any reply.

I have an LG G3 and my contacts are sync. Cannot help with call logs since it never worked for me, also with stock.
11th August 2014, 05:42 PM |#105  
Flag Coimbatore
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Complete procedure for newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanggit

Thanks! Now my drain rate is 8-10% in 6 hours with gesture on.

Hai can you explain in details the code for a newbie as i am not familier with codings but have sdb.exe and like to test your way of doing.

Thanks inj advance
12th August 2014, 09:49 AM |#106  
Flag Bucharest

More
Hi mpogr,

First thanks a lot for all your work. Using the root/service method on the Gear 2 for me didn't work well because I was unable to sync contacts or logs anymore. I decided to flash stock back on Gear 2 and downgrade GM to 2.1.14052101 and use the goproviders apk you provided specially for this version of GM. Now battery drain is great, logs sync well but contacts will not sync again. If I manually try to sync them from the Gear 2 side it says Syncing for a while and then it stops without really syncing them. Do you have any suggestions on how to sync the contacts in this scenario?

Again thanks a lot for all your great work!
12th August 2014, 10:13 AM |#107  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiu

Hi mpogr,

First thanks a lot for all your work. Using the root/service method on the Gear 2 for me didn't work well because I was unable to sync contacts or logs anymore. I decided to flash stock back on Gear 2 and downgrade GM to 2.1.14052101 and use the goproviders apk you provided specially for this version of GM. Now battery drain is great, logs sync well but contacts will not sync again. If I manually try to sync them from the Gear 2 side it says Syncing for a while and then it stops without really syncing them. Do you have any suggestions on how to sync the contacts in this scenario?

Again thanks a lot for all your great work!

What device do you have? On non-Samsung devices only contacts would synchronise anyway... If you have Samsung, why would you use these fixes anyway?
12th August 2014, 12:22 PM |#108  
Flag Bucharest

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpogr

What device do you have? On non-Samsung devices only contacts would synchronise anyway... If you have Samsung, why would you use these fixes anyway?

Galaxy S5. As you wondered in the OP the problem exists even on Samsung devices. My Gear 2 drains a full battery in 8h without your mod. A friend of mine with a Note 3 has experienced the same.

Anyway how should contacts sync be affected by using your goproviders?

Again thanks for your great work.
12th August 2014, 12:47 PM |#109  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiu

Galaxy S5. As you wondered in the OP the problem exists even on Samsung devices. My Gear 2 drains a full battery in 8h without your mod. A friend of mine with a Note 3 has experienced the same.

Anyway how should contacts sync be affected by using your goproviders?

Again thanks for your great work.

Look, what goproviders fix does it just dilutes the sync logic invocations 1:256 (in the latest version). Also, I didn't create that fix for the latest versions of Gear Manager, so using the modded goproviders with those is not recommended and could break all sorts of things. I don't really know why the fix on the Gear doesn't work for you though. After connecting the Gear to the phone, there is typically enough time for the contacts to synchronise, even just once. The sync process is killed every 2 minutes, so it's a matter of luck. But, if you attempt several times (just disconnect/reconnect the Gear with the phone), it should work.
12th August 2014, 01:03 PM |#110  
Flag Bucharest

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpogr

Look, what goproviders fix does it just dilutes the sync logic invocations 1:256 (in the latest version). Also, I didn't create that fix for the latest versions of Gear Manager, so using the modded goproviders with those is not recommended and could break all sorts of things. I don't really know why the fix on the Gear doesn't work for you though. After connecting the Gear to the phone, there is typically enough time for the contacts to synchronise, even just once. The sync process is killed every 2 minutes, so it's a matter of luck. But, if you attempt several times (just disconnect/reconnect the Gear with the phone), it should work.

I am using goproviders with the corresponding older version of GM just as you recommended. I think it works ok now. How often is 1:254? I don't know the original behaviour so I cannot calculate it.
12th August 2014, 01:05 PM |#111  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiu

I am using goproviders with the corresponding older version of GM just as you recommended. I think it works ok now. How often is 1:254? I don't know the original behaviour so I cannot calculate it.

It's hard to tell, because the frequency of the sync doesn't seem to be constant. It's probably about once in 1-2 hours.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)