[REF] A Brief guide to Installing and Maintaining Android [SD/RAM] on HD2

Search This thread

despy1989

Mar 21, 2010
Birmingham
This is meant to be a basic guide to installing and maintaining Android (SD CARD/RAM) on your HD2 :)

NOTE: This guide is not meant for NAND versions of Android installation !!

I want to thank all the XDA forum developers who have made it possible to put Android on the HD2. This is my attempt to make a simple guide for what can be confusing and somewhat scary process (It certainly felt like that to me!!).

For detailed information guide and FAQ please read this thread by mskip

For clear explanation of how things work in Android on HD2 these two threads have excellent detailed information:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=813434
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=790095

Before you start you need this Info

1. Windows ROM version > All Ship ROMs are compatible
  2. Radio Version > Radio needs to be 2.08.50.xx or more (x.xx.51.xx are not compatible)
  3. SPL

How to get the Info

For items 1,2 in WinMo look under Settings>About Phone>Software information
This info is also displayed on the bottom left corner (the numbers after the alphabets R,D,G) of your initial boot up white screen with green HTC logo

For item 3 >> Turn phone off > Press and hold Volume down button >briefly press release power button >SPL version is displayed on bootloader screen (Red/Green/White)

For those with Radio > 2.08.50.xx you can install Android >> GO TO STEP B

For those with Radio < 2.08.xx.xx you cannot install Android without upgrading your Radio (Flashing a new Radio) >> GO TO STEP A then STEP B

STEP A (Flashing a new Radio)

If you do not have a compatible Radio version follow the steps below:

Upgrading to the newest HTC stock ROM: This process will upgrade your Radio version anyway (The latest 3.14 ROM has Radio version 2.14.50.4 which is compatible with Android installation): LINK HERE

If you don't want to / or can't upgrade to the latest HTC stock ROM you are going to have a slightly more complicated way

If SPL is 2.10.xxxx or below then use HSPL method. Click here

If SPL is more than 2.10.xxxx you have 2 choices (since HSPL does not work)

1. Use SSPL method click here
  2. Downgrade your SPL and then use HSPL method click here

Note:
>>Please check the radio version recommended by the Android Build maker>>
>> Click here if you want to download Radio versions

STEP B (Installing Android)

If your Radio is compatible (>2.08.50.xx) then here is how to install Android on your HD2

1) Micro SDHC card

Should be atleast 4 Gb, Class 2/4/6/8/10
Formatted clean with 32 or 64 Kb cluster size

2) Install automatic boot loader on WinMo :

This allows you to choose between booting into Windows or Android on start up. From 2nd Android bootup onwards these programs will make it easier to load Windows/Android at startup and you can even specify autoboot into Android if you wish.
Download this as a cab file and install in the phone memory (not in SD card)
Android Loader v6.0 Final for HD2
Exceller bootloader

You can of course manually always boot up Android anytime from Windows File Explorer by running CLRCAD and then HaRET files included in the Android build (see below).

3) Android Build :

Download your chosen Android build on your computer.
Extract / Unzip the folder on the computer
Now copy into the Root of your SD card.
Folder should be labelled "Android"
Once copied into SD card you will see 2 files: CLRCAD.exe and HaRET.exe which have to be run to boot into Android.
There will also be other folders / files (Android Apps, initrd.gz, system.ext2, rootfs.img, zimage, startup.txt, ts-calibration) please leave them as they are.

There are many choices in builds available, such as - MDJ, Darkstone, MIUI,. Please search the forum to look at the different features. I can't advise you on what clothes to buy. The same reasoning applies to advising on Android builds, you have to find out what is right for you...Try the build, if you dont like it, just go for another build..copy and paste your new android folder over the old one and its done.....

4) Data.img :

Your build may have a ready-made one included in the build folder or available to download separately. Size of data image is upto you, 256Mb/512Mb/1Gb (or more). This determines the Size of your Android operating system space for settings and downloaded apps etc. Bigger size allows you to keep more apps etc.

>> At start up if you have a ready-made data.img file, booting up in Android is much faster (5-10 min). (You can choose the image size yourself with this option)
>> If you boot up without a ready-made data.img (Clean Install), then this is created by Android system at first bootup which takes longer (up to 30 min) Here the system will choose its own set default image size depending on startup commands in the build. Its not easy to change this size once its created (although it is possible)

5) First Android Boot

Once you have reached this step you are all set. It really is that simple!

These steps are performed with the phone booted in WinMo
Charge your phone to 100%. This ensures proper battery calibration.

In your File Explorer open the Android folder on the SD card
Run CLRCAD - Nothing seems to happens - This is normal. !!!
Run HARET - Small pop up window with grey progress bar appears with message HaRET LINUX BOOTING - You should then see some text lines in the top left corner of the screen and then a Splashscreen (blank screen with a HTC logo) Please be patient and allow time for the initial bootup.

If Android loads successfully, then (depending on your build )another Splashscreen will appear and then the Lockscreen for Android is launched.

Set up your phone for first use as per onscreen instructions and let all account finish syncing before doing anything else

Once you are up and running here are some of my own tips to maintain your system.

1) Always back up of your data.img file on to your pc/mac (weekly)

This is better done in WinMo. This will mean that you can always have a failsafe arrangement for troubleshooting.

2) Troubleshooting (If you start getting data corruption errors or force closes .

> Make another Clean Install of the build -Boot into Android- Reboot in WinMo - Connect to Computer - Copy backedup data.img file into the New (compatible) Android folder.
DONE! you are back where you started. All apps, settings, contacts,emails, messages are saved as they were at the time of backup.
You can also use a backup programme like Titanium Pro. This is useful when going over to a completely different chef build as you cannot (usually) take your old data.img file across.

3) Changing kernels

Follow instructions on the relevant thread.
For MDJ / Hastarin Kernels the following steps work
Boot up in windows - copy 'zimage' and 'Root' folder (which has modules) from the new kernel and paste into your /Android folder on SD card (i.e replace zimage of old kernel).-
Boot up android - check for successful upgrade under Settings>About phone>Software>Kernel ... the new kernel should be listed.
On boot up android will copy the contents of the /Android/Root folder to the relevant place.
If upgrade is successful then while in Android use a File explorer (with root permissions) to delete the 'Root' folder within Android folder, as this is no longer needed.
Note: Some kernels require the Modules (wifi,bt,lights etc) to be copied manually using Root File explorer while booted in Android. Please check the relevant posts for correct steps.

4) Upgrading Android Builds

I always do a clean install i.e let the Android build its own data.img with a clean formatted SD card.
Once this is done then copy your old backed up data.img and overwrite the newly created data.img to get all your info and settings as they were.
Caution: data.img is usually not compatible across different chef builds and its best to start a clean install if you are going to use a completely different build altogether. You can get you settings back by using a backup programme such as Titanium. Google sync will get your Contacts and Calendar back anyway if you have synced it previously to Gmail account.

5) Improving Battery Life

Having read through a lot of forums and trying out various techniques here are tips that have worked for me.

• Charge your phone in WinMo to 100% (Green LED) While still connected to charger boot to Android and wait for the LED to go green. Then disconnect from charger.
  • Autoboot before launching into windows/sense fully, I use Exceller autoboot in 3 sec.
  • Rebooting Android 2-3 times after initial install and letting it 'settle' for a 1-2 days
  • Turn off any functions not required e.g BT, WiFi, GPS, Autosync
  • Turn down screen brightness to minimum
  • Use a battery current widget to monitor drain
  • Conditioning of battery: Boot into windows when battery is @ 5%, Discharge the battery fully and let the phone turn off> charge fully to green LED while phone off >> Boot up in Android and continue charging till LED green>> One cycle every 2 weeks
  • Recalibration: In Android with File explorer (e.g ES Explorer), Choose settings, enable root access and then in Root delete ... /data/system/batterystats.bin . This should be done when 100% charged, Now disable root access in file explorer and close, Run the battery down fully and follow the step above...
  • Fully conditioned battery should show about 4.2 - 4.3 V charge at 100% (Free app Battery Indicator)
  • Dataswitch (free app) allows switching mobile data when phone is not in use such as during night time etc
  • I keep Airplane mode in windows as default before first boot in Android (Not sure if this really helps)
  • For me greatest battery drain seems to be when i am in area of poor phone signal> switching to 2G helps using Dataswitch app

Things that don't work:
  • Task killers are not really very useful according to Hastarin

For more detailed information regarding battery life issues have a look at this post

Have fun and enjoy your HD2 with Android :D

Last edited:

loni90

Feb 8, 2010
SWEDEN
Noob question ;)

Hi!
ive done all this last summer, and it all works fine.

but i wonder if android will work if you have the original WM6.5 insted of Chucky, and other costum ROM?

i mean, the customs are really ugly, and i never use them on dual boot - but i would use WM6.5 if i had the original one, with sense and everything.

the dual boot would be more useful. now i only use android.

Last edited:

despy1989

Mar 21, 2010
Birmingham
Hi!
ive done all this last summer, and it all works fine.

but i wonder if android will work if you have the original WM6.5 insted of Chucky, and other costum ROM?

i mean, the customs are really ugly, and i never use them on dual boot - but i would use WM6.5 if i had the original one, with sense and everything.

the dual boot would be more useful. now i only use android.
I agree with you on that. The stock ROM work fine (check my sig) and to be honest I tried the custom ROMs but felt more comfortable with the Stock ROM. It means less messing around with your phone!
Its most important however that your Radio is compatible though. If its not then there is no choice but to Flash a new Radio ROM.

Last edited:
Reactions: tkkk

ej2095

Feb 9, 2010
Ahh i just told mate at work copy android to sd card run cllr then haret.

Worked fine lol

Reactions: tkkk

despy1989

Mar 21, 2010
Birmingham
What is the advantage of letting the Android build create its own data.img first and then overwriting it with your previous data.img?
This only applies for Upgrading and not a New install. For a new install its always better to let the system create a data image or use the 'empty' image supplied with the build. Most builds have codes to create a default size image. If thats not to your liking then you can choose a supplied image of desired size and do the first boot up...

For upgrading purposes this method has advantages

1) it ensures a clean trouble free installation first time (makes sense to avoid any conflicts with the old data image on boot up.)
2) If there are any problems with the build then at least you can identify them before you transfer the old data image.

Reactions: tkkk and omershahab
Nov 13, 2009
Uruguay
Difficult to express how easier you made this process for me, with all info provided.
In my name, and the name of all the rest,that will use this thread to start with Android on HD2...... txs ;) ;)

Samdeath

May 21, 2010
Dudley
Hey, would doing this void my warranty/contract insurance?
Im on virgin media UK, if that helps.
Thanks for the great tutorial anyway :)

despy1989

Mar 21, 2010
Birmingham
Unless u install a HSPL my understanding is that there is no reason to void your warranty. But I m no expert in these matters. Having said that my old hd2 touchscreen was freezing and I had hspl on it but managed to reinstall the original SPL back and returned it to virgin and this one is the replacement..they didn't complain .. ;)

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App

jamieross

Mar 25, 2010
Armadale
www.jamieross.co.uk
Great guide m8 good job well explained, but I dont know if this helps anyone but I always un-mount my SD card before a reboot or shutdown, on some builds it can reduce corruption to your data image (ie cedesmiths builds)

JR

despy1989

Mar 21, 2010
Birmingham
@ samdeath . Have u considered upgrading your HTC stock ROM? The new 3.14 ROM also upgrades ur radio. In that case there is no messing with HSPL. The other option is SSPL which does not change ur original SPL.
@ JR . In theory if u umnount the SD Card in Android, it only delinks the the SD card portion outside of your data image? If u umnount the whole SD card then android would crash.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App

Samdeath

May 21, 2010
Dudley
I cant upgrade the stock rom, there isnt a virgin media rom on the htc website, and the normal one says my device is not eligible for it. However, ive installed HSPl now, and followed all the steps, changed the radio to 2.15 etc, However now ive just "installed" android for the first time and its been on the htc spash screen for like an hour. I did not use a data file, is this normal?
Using froyo hd v4.6 btw

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is meant to be a basic guide to installing and maintaining Android (SD CARD/RAM) on your HD2 :)

NOTE: This guide is not meant for NAND versions of Android installation !!

I want to thank all the XDA forum developers who have made it possible to put Android on the HD2. This is my attempt to make a simple guide for what can be confusing and somewhat scary process (It certainly felt like that to me!!).

For detailed information guide and FAQ please read this thread by mskip

For clear explanation of how things work in Android on HD2 these two threads have excellent detailed information:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=813434
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=790095

Before you start you need this Info

1. Windows ROM version > All Ship ROMs are compatible
    2. Radio Version > Radio needs to be 2.08.50.xx or more (x.xx.51.xx are not compatible)
    3. SPL

How to get the Info

For items 1,2 in WinMo look under Settings>About Phone>Software information
    This info is also displayed on the bottom left corner (the numbers after the alphabets R,D,G) of your initial boot up white screen with green HTC logo

For item 3 >> Turn phone off > Press and hold Volume down button >briefly press release power button >SPL version is displayed on bootloader screen (Red/Green/White)

For those with Radio > 2.08.50.xx you can install Android >> GO TO STEP B

For those with Radio < 2.08.xx.xx you cannot install Android without upgrading your Radio (Flashing a new Radio) >> GO TO STEP A then STEP B

STEP A (Flashing a new Radio)

If you do not have a compatible Radio version follow the steps below:

Upgrading to the newest HTC stock ROM: This process will upgrade your Radio version anyway (The latest 3.14 ROM has Radio version 2.14.50.4 which is compatible with Android installation): LINK HERE

If you don't want to / or can't upgrade to the latest HTC stock ROM you are going to have a slightly more complicated way

If SPL is 2.10.xxxx or below then use HSPL method. Click here

If SPL is more than 2.10.xxxx you have 2 choices (since HSPL does not work)

1. Use SSPL method click here
    2. Downgrade your SPL and then use HSPL method click here

Note:
    >>Please check the radio version recommended by the Android Build maker>>
    >> Click here if you want to download Radio versions

STEP B (Installing Android)

If your Radio is compatible (>2.08.50.xx) then here is how to install Android on your HD2

1) Micro SDHC card

Should be atleast 4 Gb, Class 2/4/6/8/10
    Formatted clean with 32 or 64 Kb cluster size

2) Install automatic boot loader on WinMo :

This allows you to choose between booting into Windows or Android on start up. From 2nd Android bootup onwards these programs will make it easier to load Windows/Android at startup and you can even specify autoboot into Android if you wish.
    Download this as a cab file and install in the phone memory (not in SD card)
    Android Loader v6.0 Final for HD2
    Exceller bootloader

You can of course manually always boot up Android anytime from Windows File Explorer by running CLRCAD and then HaRET files included in the Android build (see below).

3) Android Build :

Download your chosen Android build on your computer.
    Extract / Unzip the folder on the computer
    Now copy into the Root of your SD card.
    Folder should be labelled "Android"
    Once copied into SD card you will see 2 files: CLRCAD.exe and HaRET.exe which have to be run to boot into Android.
    There will also be other folders / files (Android Apps, initrd.gz, system.ext2, rootfs.img, zimage, startup.txt, ts-calibration) please leave them as they are.

There are many choices in builds available, such as - MDJ, Darkstone, MIUI,. Please search the forum to look at the different features. I can't advise you on what clothes to buy. The same reasoning applies to advising on Android builds, you have to find out what is right for you...Try the build, if you dont like it, just go for another build..copy and paste your new android folder over the old one and its done.....

4) Data.img :

Your build may have a ready-made one included in the build folder or available to download separately. Size of data image is upto you, 256Mb/512Mb/1Gb (or more). This determines the Size of your Android operating system space for settings and downloaded apps etc. Bigger size allows you to keep more apps etc.

>> At start up if you have a ready-made data.img file, booting up in Android is much faster (5-10 min). (You can choose the image size yourself with this option)
    >> If you boot up without a ready-made data.img (Clean Install), then this is created by Android system at first bootup which takes longer (up to 30 min) Here the system will choose its own set default image size depending on startup commands in the build. Its not easy to change this size once its created (although it is possible)

5) First Android Boot

Once you have reached this step you are all set. It really is that simple!

These steps are performed with the phone booted in WinMo
    Charge your phone to 100%. This ensures proper battery calibration.

In your File Explorer open the Android folder on the SD card
    Run CLRCAD - Nothing seems to happens - This is normal. !!!
    Run HARET - Small pop up window with grey progress bar appears with message HaRET LINUX BOOTING - You should then see some text lines in the top left corner of the screen and then a Splashscreen (blank screen with a HTC logo) Please be patient and allow time for the initial bootup.

If Android loads successfully, then (depending on your build )another Splashscreen will appear and then the Lockscreen for Android is launched.

Set up your phone for first use as per onscreen instructions and let all account finish syncing before doing anything else

Once you are up and running here are some of my own tips to maintain your system.

1) Always back up of your data.img file on to your pc/mac (weekly)

This is better done in WinMo. This will mean that you can always have a failsafe arrangement for troubleshooting.

2) Troubleshooting (If you start getting data corruption errors or force closes .

> Make another Clean Install of the build -Boot into Android- Reboot in WinMo - Connect to Computer - Copy backedup data.img file into the New (compatible) Android folder.
    DONE! you are back where you started. All apps, settings, contacts,emails, messages are saved as they were at the time of backup.
    You can also use a backup programme like Titanium Pro. This is useful when going over to a completely different chef build as you cannot (usually) take your old data.img file across.

3) Changing kernels

Follow instructions on the relevant thread.
    For MDJ / Hastarin Kernels the following steps work
    Boot up in windows - copy 'zimage' and 'Root' folder (which has modules) from the new kernel and paste into your /Android folder on SD card (i.e replace zimage of old kernel).-
    Boot up android - check for successful upgrade under Settings>About phone>Software>Kernel ... the new kernel should be listed.
    On boot up android will copy the contents of the /Android/Root folder to the relevant place.
    If upgrade is successful then while in Android use a File explorer (with root permissions) to delete the 'Root' folder within Android folder, as this is no longer needed.
    Note: Some kernels require the Modules (wifi,bt,lights etc) to be copied manually using Root File explorer while booted in Android. Please check the relevant posts for correct steps.

4) Upgrading Android Builds

I always do a clean install i.e let the Android build its own data.img with a clean formatted SD card.
    Once this is done then copy your old backed up data.img and overwrite the newly created data.img to get all your info and settings as they were.
    Caution: data.img is usually not compatible across different chef builds and its best to start a clean install if you are going to use a completely different build altogether. You can get you settings back by using a backup programme such as Titanium. Google sync will get your Contacts and Calendar back anyway if you have synced it previously to Gmail account.

5) Improving Battery Life

Having read through a lot of forums and trying out various techniques here are tips that have worked for me.

• Charge your phone in WinMo to 100% (Green LED) While still connected to charger boot to Android and wait for the LED to go green. Then disconnect from charger.
    • Autoboot before launching into windows/sense fully, I use Exceller autoboot in 3 sec.
    • Rebooting Android 2-3 times after initial install and letting it 'settle' for a 1-2 days
    • Turn off any functions not required e.g BT, WiFi, GPS, Autosync
    • Turn down screen brightness to minimum
    • Use a battery current widget to monitor drain
    • Conditioning of battery: Boot into windows when battery is @ 5%, Discharge the battery fully and let the phone turn off> charge fully to green LED while phone off >> Boot up in Android and continue charging till LED green>> One cycle every 2 weeks
    • Recalibration: In Android with File explorer (e.g ES Explorer), Choose settings, enable root access and then in Root delete ... /data/system/batterystats.bin . This should be done when 100% charged, Now disable root access in file explorer and close, Run the battery down fully and follow the step above...
    • Fully conditioned battery should show about 4.2 - 4.3 V charge at 100% (Free app Battery Indicator)
    • Dataswitch (free app) allows switching mobile data when phone is not in use such as during night time etc
    • I keep Airplane mode in windows as default before first boot in Android (Not sure if this really helps)
    • For me greatest battery drain seems to be when i am in area of poor phone signal> switching to 2G helps using Dataswitch app

Things that don't work:
    • Task killers are not really very useful according to Hastarin

For more detailed information regarding battery life issues have a look at this post

Have fun and enjoy your HD2 with Android :D
    What is the advantage of letting the Android build create its own data.img first and then overwriting it with your previous data.img?
    This only applies for Upgrading and not a New install. For a new install its always better to let the system create a data image or use the 'empty' image supplied with the build. Most builds have codes to create a default size image. If thats not to your liking then you can choose a supplied image of desired size and do the first boot up...

For upgrading purposes this method has advantages

1) it ensures a clean trouble free installation first time (makes sense to avoid any conflicts with the old data image on boot up.)
    2) If there are any problems with the build then at least you can identify them before you transfer the old data image.
    If your main concern is being able to turn your HD2 into a WiFi hotspot, then you want this. I can't seem to get either of the data sharing / tethering programs to work in Android (AmeriCanAndroid v5/12/11), so I have to boot into Windows (6.5) to tether.

As far as what version, I love the one I use (previously mentioned). It is the only one I've used, to be honest, so I can't compare, but my mentality is if it works, keep it. Besides, with all the apps out there, these things will do almost anything you want.

Hope this helps.
    "Radio Version > Radio needs to be 2.08.50.xx or more"

more correct
    Greetings Jps101 and consultjai

Please check the settings in the STARTUP.TXT that is inside Android folder.

These simptoms are related with bad setting in that file.

Regards
    Rui