[Q] Background Colors - SMS, Conversation History...

Search This thread

plwalsh88

Apr 4, 2011
Boston, MA
I attached an image. I'm not sure if it's going to show up in the post as an image; we'll see.

There is a white box around what is suppose to be shown as the editor. In the center of the black box it's not true black as the black surrounding it that I changed in the .9.png. The center must be another image.

I'm thinking I'm just going to make the white black, find the other gray images the buttons are on and make that one black. Who needs transparancy when it's all black, which is what I want anyway. lol

I'm going to look into the 9patch some more... It just seems so complicated with how to install and get working. It would be nice to work with someone who is actively editing .9.png's to get me on track....

Do you have an interest in editing those png's? lol

Haha unfortunately, not right now. Although I am also very picky about things and like to try to make everything how I want it to be. I just haven't had much time lately to do any modding. Sorry I can't help you any further on the 9-patch editing. Hopefully someone else with a little more knowledge on it will come along at some point. But yea as you said, if you just make everything black, it shouldn't matter haha!

Reactions: CodeRedDewd

CodeRedDewd

May 13, 2011
Gilbert, AZ
I added another image for what I'm shooting for. I edited the screenshot in Gimp to see what it would look like. I inversed the colors on the balloons, but would probably do something different. Basically just light text on BLACK background.

I tried to install the xda developer tools that have 9-patch in it, but it won't let me. It says I don't have the JDK installed, but I do. I added the environmental variable as it said and pointed to the folder java.exe is in. I'm not sure if that's exactly right though.

I think 9-patch is going to be the answer because I'm thinking the background around the editor box with the send button it is in an xml file. I'm not sure though, and decompiling the apk will allow me to change the .9.png and the xml files I think.

I attached another screenshot that shows no white area.

My next step is to try to install the xda Developer Tools... I think that's what it's called, with the 9-patch in it.

Attachments

• shot_000004.jpg
    shot_000004.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 80
  • shot_000002.jpg
    shot_000002.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 73

mostyle

Nov 13, 2006
Langley, SC
I think 9-patch is going to be the answer because I'm thinking the background around the editor box with the send button it is in an xml file. I'm not sure though, and decompiling the apk will allow me to change the .9.png and the xml files I think.

My next step is to try to install the xda Developer Tools... I think that's what it's called, with the 9-patch in it.

Been looking for a new project. I'll decompile the MMS.apk and see what I can find. I like the black background too FWIW.

Are you set on specific colors? I'm thinking Sent messages maybe white or a shade of grey.. and sent being a shade of blue to keep with the ICS (AOSP) color theme.. Ideas?

CodeRedDewd

May 13, 2011
Gilbert, AZ
Been looking for a new project. I'll decompile the MMS.apk and see what I can find. I like the black background too FWIW.

Are you set on specific colors? I'm thinking Sent messages maybe white or a shade of grey.. and sent being a shade of blue to keep with the ICS (AOSP) color theme.. Ideas?

I don't have any specific colors. What I set out to do was to make the editor a true black box and not some grainy almost black. I wanted to make the conversation background black too. Things sort of propogated and now I'm wanting to make the area around the editor and send button black too. Then if I was able to do that, I was going to try to darken the two buttons send and attach. I want to make the list of conversations have a black background too. I have an apk that has this last thing. If I knew where it was I could just switch out the XML, if that's where it is?

When I get back home I'll attach the Mms that's interesting so you can take a look to see if you like it. Maybe you can help a bit with getting me up and running? It'll surprise you that I've only been rooting and changing apk's for a week. Lol

CodeRedDewd

May 13, 2011
Gilbert, AZ
I added a couple of screenshots for the attached Mms.. I kinda like it.I would probably go for darker though. Get rid of all that gray and make the editor black.

Okay, getting started on making 9-patch work... *sigh*

What are you using to decompile and work on .9.pgn's?

Attachments

• shot_000006.jpg
    shot_000006.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 66
  • shot_000007.jpg
    shot_000007.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Mms.apk
    2.7 MB · Views: 18

CodeRedDewd

May 13, 2011
Gilbert, AZ
Here's some new screenshots of what I did.
I reversed the received bubble.
Made the border around the editor one pixel.
Made the text able to start closer to the top in the editor.

I was able to use 9patchPngSuite to decompile and recompile my images after editing in Gimp. That progam is incredibly easy to use. I'll attach it. I fully understand how the images work now and can do what I want. The problem is that I suck at making images look good because I don't know how to use all the fancy tools in Gimp to make nice stuff.

Here's the Mms.apk so far as I have it and some screenshots.
BEWARE: If anyone installs this apk you may at some point in time see some bright colored crazy lines on something. I did this to find which png's I wanted to change. Example below.

On those 9.png files... The lines or sometimes dots at the top and left are defining areas that can be stretched vertically and horizontally. The lines on the right and bottom define a box the text must remain within. If it gets to be too much text, it stretches. Maybe this will get you started with making your own .9.png's!! If you have any questions hit me up. I think I have this down pretty well. Plus if you mess up the uncompiled 9-patch the PngSuite lets you know when it tries to compile.

1. Extract files from the apk.
2. Find the images you want to edit, put them in the compiled folder and run menu.bat.
3. Put your compiled .9.png in the compiled folder and run menu.bat.
4. Open and edit the decompiled file in Gimp leaving it in that folder and save.
5. Run menu.bat and compile to the output folder.
6. Using 7-zip right click the apk and use open under 7-zip.
7. Drag and drop the compiled .9.png to the folder you got it from in the 7-zip window. It will overwrite the original.

DONE!!

What is it you're good at?

Attachments

• shot_000011.jpg
    shot_000011.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 61
  • shot_000009.jpg
    shot_000009.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 50
  • shot_000008.jpg
    shot_000008.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 54
  • shot_000007.jpg
    shot_000007.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Mms.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
  • 9patchPngSuite.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Reactions: mostyle

mostyle

Nov 13, 2006
Langley, SC
Here's some new screenshots of what I did.
I reversed the received bubble.
Made the border around the editor one pixel.
Made the text able to start closer to the top in the editor.

I was able to use 9patchPngSuite to decompile and recompile my images after editing in Gimp. That progam is incredibly easy to use. I'll attach it. I fully understand how the images work now and can do what I want. The problem is that I suck at making images look good because I don't know how to use all the fancy tools in Gimp to make nice stuff.

Here's the Mms.apk so far as I have it and some screenshots.
BEWARE: If anyone installs this apk you may at some point in time see some bright colored crazy lines on something. I did this to find which png's I wanted to change. Example below.

On those 9.png files... The lines or sometimes dots at the top and left are defining areas that can be stretched vertically and horizontally. The lines on the right and bottom define a box the text must remain within. If it gets to be too much text, it stretches. Maybe this will get you started with making your own .9.png's!! If you have any questions hit me up. I think I have this down pretty well. Plus if you mess up the uncompiled 9-patch the PngSuite lets you know when it tries to compile.

1. Extract files from the apk.
2. Find the images you want to edit, put them in the compiled folder and run menu.bat.
3. Put your compiled .9.png in the compiled folder and run menu.bat.
4. Open and edit the decompiled file in Gimp leaving it in that folder and save.
5. Run menu.bat and compile to the output folder.
6. Using 7-zip right click the apk and use open under 7-zip.
7. Drag and drop the compiled .9.png to the folder you got it from in the 7-zip window. It will overwrite the original.

DONE!!

What is it you're good at?

Nice work. I'm using this now!

Glad you were able to get it the way you wanted. :)

That's almost exactly what I wanted as well! I may make a png edit here or there but thank you!

CodeRedDewd

May 13, 2011
Gilbert, AZ
Nice work. I'm using this now!

Glad you were able to get it the way you wanted. :)

That's almost exactly what I wanted as well! I may make a png edit here or there but thank you!

I've been messing around and it turns out you can even put one of the message bubbles in place of where the black editor box is and it looks like you're typing directly into the message bubble. I've not had one FC and everything has worked. I found a couple of goofy message balloons that I copied and pasted into Gimp, touched up a whole lot to get a good clean edge and made a couple of .9.png's. If you do this, you have to make sure it's named ".9.png" before you compile. Also make sure that around the outer edge there are only your black marks. I had an error for a pixel that was nearly invisible. If you make a bubble for outgoing, just reverse the middle part of the image and not the outer one pixel area because unless you fix it exactly the same the bubbles won't be identical. I'll attach the Mms for the screenshot.

On this one I've not made the images for the pressed balloons yet, so they completely change. lol

Do you know how to change the color of the text in the balloons and how to change the background color of the conversation?

Attachments

• shot_000012.jpg
    shot_000012.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Mms.apk
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

CodeRedDewd

May 13, 2011
Gilbert, AZ
I've been messing around and it turns out you can even put one of the message bubbles in place of where the black editor box is and it looks like you're typing directly into the message bubble. I've not had one FC and everything has worked. I found a couple of goofy message balloons that I copied and pasted into Gimp, touched up a whole lot to get a good clean edge and made a couple of .9.png's. If you do this, you have to make sure it's named ".9.png" before you compile. Also make sure that around the outer edge there are only your black marks. I had an error for a pixel that was nearly invisible. If you make a bubble for outgoing, just reverse the middle part of the image and not the outer one pixel area because unless you fix it exactly the same the bubbles won't be identical. I'll attach the Mms for the screenshot.

On this one I've not made the images for the pressed balloons yet, so they completely change. lol

Do you know how to change the color of the text in the balloons and how to change the background color of the conversation?

Another screenshot...

Attachments

• shot_000015.jpg
    shot_000015.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 51

alteredlikeness

Mar 2, 2012
reflecting on Indra's net
Sorry if I'm walking into conversations...
But, here are some quick .9.png editing tips that I've picked up:

- you must decompile the apk first in order to edit .9.pngs (no extracting images)
- you may edit with GIMP without breaking the .9.png by leaving the 1-pixel black boarder untouched (if you simply desaturate, the black boarder will not be affected - or select everything except the one-pixel edge, then change hues or whatever). Also note where the black pixel dots are, that's where the image will stretch (if you overlay anything onto it and it crosses that patch line, it may unintentionally stretch as well)
- when saving or (exporting in 2.8) the final image with GIMP, I choose replace and save all interlacing, gamma, and layer offset..
- if you edit the shape of the image, you may have to redraw the black pixel boarder using draw9patch (which comes in the Android SDK) - I have actually redrawn the 1-pixel boarder in GIMP (using hex #000000, of course) after changing the hue, and that worked ok too.
- also, use draw9patch to compare the patches with stock images and to see how it stretches in the preview pane
- if you have errors recompiling, check the log... or check your .9.pngs to make sure they haven't been broken (you'll see two files with the same name: one dummy image.9.png, and one simple .png - if that's the case either redraw the patches or replace it with a stock image and start your edits over)

Whether any of this is helpful, wrong, or common knowledge - I've been wanting to write a few notes about it anyways..

CodeRedDewd

May 13, 2011
Gilbert, AZ

- you must decompile the apk first in order to edit .9.pngs (no extracting images)
- you may edit with GIMP without breaking the .9.png by leaving the 1-pixel black boarder untouched (if you simply desaturate, the black boarder will not be affected - or select everything except the one-pixel edge, then change hues or whatever). Also note where the black pixel dots are, that's where the image will stretch (if you overlay anything onto it and it crosses that patch line, it may unintentionally stretch as well)
- when saving or (exporting in 2.8) the final image with GIMP, I choose replace and save all interlacing, gamma, and layer offset..
- if you edit the shape of the image, you may have to redraw the black pixel boarder using draw9patch (which comes in the Android SDK) - I have actually redrawn the 1-pixel boarder in GIMP (using hex #000000, of course) after changing the hue, and that worked ok too.
- also, use draw9patch to compare the patches with stock images and to see how it stretches in the preview pane
- if you have errors recompiling, check the log... or check your .9.pngs to make sure they haven't been broken (you'll see two files with the same name: one dummy image.9.png, and one simple .png - if that's the case either redraw the patches or replace it with a stock image and start your edits over)

Whether any of this is helpful, wrong, or common knowledge - I've been wanting to write a few notes about it anyways..

Hey, thanks for the tips... I can't get any of the android SDK to work to decompile an apk.... It's saying some version of Java isn't installed, but it is. I even set an environmental variable as it said in the error window. I think it's right....

Check on my previous posts in this thread. I've learned a few things. I've been grabbing images from the web and editing them in Gimp to compile them in 9patchPngSuite. This is a sweet program!!! It tells you any error that exists on the 9-patch before it compiles, such as a pixel that isn't completely black or if one exists, but so dim that it can't be seen. It tells which edge and pixel number is the problem. At the end of this thread I'm posting some screens and the Mms.apk I'm running. I added a small surprise to it.:)

Do you know how to change the text color in the conversation background, behind the bubbles? I'm thinking it must be in an xml, but I can't decompile the apk, so I'm toast on that until I'm able.

CodeRedDewd

May 13, 2011
Gilbert, AZ
Another screenshot...

Progress!

I have attached the Mms.apk for what I'm running. It has the space between the bubble and the side of the screen. The attached apk is of the screenshot that has the thin borders, which is the one on the far left.

For the animation I stuck a paper airplane in so that it flies from the editor to the sending speech balloon. It turned out kinda cool. Check it out!

Attachments

• 1339796335063.jpg
    1339796335063.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 1339752933238.jpg
    1339752933238.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 1339752615039.jpg
    1339752615039.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Mms.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

alteredlikeness

Mar 2, 2012
Hey, thanks for the tips... I can't get any of the android SDK to work to decompile an apk.... It's saying some version of Java isn't installed, but it is. I even set an environmental variable as it said in the error window. I think it's right....

Check on my previous posts in this thread. I've learned a few things. I've been grabbing images from the web and editing them in Gimp to compile them in 9patchPngSuite. This is a sweet program!!! It tells you any error that exists on the 9-patch before it compiles, such as a pixel that isn't completely black or if one exists, but so dim that it can't be seen. It tells which edge and pixel number is the problem. At the end of this thread I'm posting some screens and the Mms.apk I'm running. I added a small surprise to it.:)

Do you know how to change the text color in the conversation background, behind the bubbles? I'm thinking it must be in an xml, but I can't decompile the apk, so I'm toast on that until I'm able.

For my system, the text color for actual messages and time stamps inside the bubble is in Conversations.apk/res/values/styles.xml under TxtMsgItem and TxtDateTimeStamp.. (just changed them to white today actually trying to fix another text color issue) - not sure about any text behind the bubbles though...

But, yes, you need to decompile. Try using APK Manager and set your framework files (for me it's framework-res, blur-res, moto-res and SystemUI .apks) - do this by putting copies of those apks in your "other" folder (where apktool is), open the command prompt on that folder and type:
apktool if framework-res.apk
(and hit enter - it should give you a 1.apk file created message). Do the same for all of those framework files (and SystemUI for good measure).
Then you should be good for de/re-compiling.. just remember to delete the resources.arsc file from the "keep" folder if you edit any xmls (thats where your values folders go, in the resources)

Sent from my mind using XDA

Last edited:

CodeRedDewd

May 13, 2011
Gilbert, AZ
For my system, the text color for actual messages and time stamps inside the bubble is in Conversations.apk/res/values/styles.xml under TxtMsgItem and TxtDateTimeStamp.. (just changed them to white today actually trying to fix another text color issue) - not sure about any text behind the bubbles though...

But, yes, you need to decompile. Try using APK Manager and set your framework files (for me it's framework-res, blur-res, moto-res and SystemUI .apks) - do this by putting copies of those apks in your "other" folder (where apktool is), open the command prompt on that folder and type:
apktool if framework-res.apk
(and hit enter - it should give you a 1.apk file created message). Do the same for all of those framework files (and SystemUI for good measure).
Then you should be good for de/re-compiling.. just remember to delete the resources.arsc file from the "keep" folder if you edit any xmls (thats where your values folders go, in the resources)

My bad... I meant to say the color of the background in the converstation behind the bubbles. It's good to know you now where the text colors are.

Wow, that's a lot of information in a short paragraph. I have no idea what you're saying with most of it because I'm not there yet. I can't even get the program installed because it's saying I need Java and I have it installed in the default directory. Do you have a compiled xml with a black background, white text and gray timestamp? That would save me hours. I'm runnig 4.0.4. and UCLD2. I'm not even sure that makes a difference. That's how much I still have to learn! But I'm going to keep pushing it forward... Hopefully the real version if ICS will be out soon and I'll have less bugs. What are you running?

alteredlikeness

Mar 2, 2012
My bad... I meant to say the color of the background in the converstation behind the bubbles. It's good to know you now where the text colors are.

Wow, that's a lot of information in a short paragraph. I have no idea what you're saying with most of it because I'm not there yet. I can't even get the program installed because it's saying I need Java and I have it installed in the default directory. Do you have a compiled xml with a black background, white text and gray timestamp? That would save me hours. I'm runnig 4.0.4. and UCLD2. I'm not even sure that makes a difference. That's how much I still have to learn! But I'm going to keep pushing it forward... Hopefully the real version if ICS will be out soon and I'll have less bugs. What are you running?

I am on Motorola's GB 2.3.6. Waiting for the offical ICS release (don't want to mess around with the leaked versions).

But, you can install APK Manager without the SDK. I have it on my work computer w/o the sdk and it works fine for de/re-compiling.

And the text bubbles themselves, at least for me in my system, are located in blur-res.apk/res/drawable-hdpi - but again, that's GB Moto, so it's probably different for Samsung ICS.. so, if I did have the decompiled inverted text bubbles (which i do not), it probably wouldn't work for you. Sorry. Just keep going and things will start clicking and working for you..

CodeRedDewd

May 13, 2011
Gilbert, AZ
Found it!!
View attachment 1134725
It was a small pale .9.png file in my BlurDialer.apk drawable folder.. if anyone cares..

When I can't find stuff, I draw bright colored designs on png's so when they do show up, I can look at the designs I drew and match them with the png. It sounds crazy, but it worked for me.

BTW I flashed the Embryo ROM and it's great. The only thing is that I can't root it. I'm not sure what to do about that. Any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Firstly, are you on GB or ICS? And which ROM?

If GB, you could swap out the AT&T mms.apk with the Rogers version, as they use a dark charcoal background behind matte blue and yellow bubbles (was always my favorite). Or you could try the mms.apk that Sean used to include in his GB ROMs. It was basically stock, but came with 5 themes. If you're on NexusMod GB, somewhere in the thread R4INS posted a CM7 mms.apk which has a light and dark theme.

If you're on an AOSP ICS (which I know you're not since you mention swipe to call), you could try the inverted mms.apk, which is black. If you're on stock ICS, the only thing I can think of is to just decompile the apk and use Gimp to change the colors as you'd like them (which goes for any apk really), although I think the important images are *.9.png's which are tricky. Or since you like TouchWiz, see what the T-Mobile mms.apk from their leak looks like? And if it works? As I don't know the answer to either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm running ICS that I just flashed. I put in SKYICS also.
    I'm going to look for another mms.apk...

I think I may have just come across a solution for you. Did you see this post in the SkyICS thread?? I'd look into that one first before attempting any of the above.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

I'm new to this and starting to figure things out. I opened the mms.apk with WinRar and found most of what I want to change. I've not used Gimp. For colors I usually use Office Picture Manager. I'll have to check out Gimp. I'm starting to understand a little about the xdaAutoTool. I suppose I have to decompile the mms.apk , modify what I want, then recompile it, zip it all back up, then install it through CWM. I can't get the adaAutoTool to run because of the OCX thing and I don't know how to register the files. I wish I knew someone that could decompile the apk, let me change some of the .png files and recompile it for me. I want to change the editor box from this almost black to black beause it looks incredibly grainy at 1% gray or whatever it is. The hard thing for me would be figure out how to change the text color to white if I had to on the conversation list. I think I'll do as you suggested and look for another mms.apk.

Now I'm no expert on this or anything and haven't done much research on it, so I don't know everything you're talking about. But when I manually swapped out battery icon images from framework-res.apk, I didn't do any unzipping, rezipping, decompiling, recompiling. All I had to do was *open* the archive with 7zip (NOT unzip). Delete the images in there I wanted to replace. Then drag and drop the new images into the archive. As long as they were the same names and I wasn't adding or removing any images, there was no need to change any of the XML files. And it all worked fine.

As I said though, if I recall (as I actually looked into trying to do this myself with the help of another guy -- I wanted to make the AT&T mms.apk look like the Rogers mms.apk) the background image and maybe the bubble images too are 9-patch files, which are the image_name.9.png files. They require a very special process for editing. So that might require a bit more work.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

You said I like TouchWiz... I'm not exactly sure what that even is. Isn't that something to do with the buttons and how they look at the bottom?

Haha something like that. TouchWiz is the graphical overlay (UI skin) Samsung puts on top of "vanilla" Android, or AOSP. Every manufacture does it. Motorola's is called MotoBlur. HTC's is called Sense. And so on. The Nexus line of phones is the only one to get stock, vanilla Android (AOSP). So it's the reason all android phones from the same manufacture look somewhat the same.

TouchWiz does consist of those buttons at the bottom and how they look (I assume you're talking about the docked apps - Phone, Contacts, Email, Apps). But it's also the system apps (Messaging, Email, Phone, Contacts, Settings, etc.) and how they look and act. The swipe right to call / swipe left to message is a feature of TouchWiz, which is why I said you liked TW because you like that feature.

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

You mentioned the CM7 something. I'm not exactly sure what the CM is. I have CM5 and it said I have a mismatch when I tried to restore my original ROM that I backed up. it was 2.3.6 I think.

CM stands for CyanogenMod and consists of a more AOSP feel, unlike Samsung's TouchWiz. So it doesn't have the swipe to call feature; usually just tap the contact picture inside Messaging and it gives you the option to call. CM7 was their Gingerbread build. CM9 is their Ice Cream Sandwich build.

Basically CyanogenMod has created a replacement/aftermarket firmware to replace Google Android (AOSP). It's sort of different than just a custom ROM because a custom ROM is usually just built with one phone in mind (whichever one the developer owns). CM is a firmware built the same way, with the same features, for as many phones as they can support. So your specific phone still needs to be supported and have its own specific build, but once you have it on you phone, it will look and feel just like any HTC, Motorola, etc. that is also running CM.

So it's based off of Google Android (AOSP), it's completely self-contained as its own operating system (somewhat anyway).

We have an unofficial alpha of CM9 in the development section if you want to give it a shot! (Unofficial means it's not being built by or currently supported by the actual CyanogenMod team. Just a private individual is using their source code to make it work with our Skyrocket.) It works rather well and is like 99.5% a daily driver.
    I attached an image. I'm not sure if it's going to show up in the post as an image; we'll see.

There is a white box around what is suppose to be shown as the editor. In the center of the black box it's not true black as the black surrounding it that I changed in the .9.png. The center must be another image.

I'm thinking I'm just going to make the white black, find the other gray images the buttons are on and make that one black. Who needs transparancy when it's all black, which is what I want anyway. lol

I'm going to look into the 9patch some more... It just seems so complicated with how to install and get working. It would be nice to work with someone who is actively editing .9.png's to get me on track....

Do you have an interest in editing those png's? lol

Haha unfortunately, not right now. Although I am also very picky about things and like to try to make everything how I want it to be. I just haven't had much time lately to do any modding. Sorry I can't help you any further on the 9-patch editing. Hopefully someone else with a little more knowledge on it will come along at some point. But yea as you said, if you just make everything black, it shouldn't matter haha!