[TUT] Getting back to stock after flashing custom roms [Noob friendly]

Search This thread

berrmich

Oct 17, 2009
Ok. I was returning my phone. I had a recovery file on TWRP. I restored thinking it may be an original. Unfortunately the phone posted the white htc screen but then goes black. I have to hold the power button 10-20 seconds to reboot. I followed the instructions. I downloaded the HTC__001 and installed using TRWP and then I downloaded the appropriate recovery.img and flashed that with flashboot. It still will not boot past the white screen. To unlock my bootloaded and root I needed to change my CID to 1111111. Is this a problem?

matt95

Aug 8, 2010
Milan
Ok. I was returning my phone. I had a recovery file on TWRP. I restored thinking it may be an original. Unfortunately the phone posted the white htc screen but then goes black. I have to hold the power button 10-20 seconds to reboot. I followed the instructions. I downloaded the HTC__001 and installed using TRWP and then I downloaded the appropriate recovery.img and flashed that with flashboot. It still will not boot past the white screen. To unlock my bootloaded and root I needed to change my CID to 1111111. Is this a problem?

you can't superCID because you don't have S-OFF, however after restoring the nand backup did you flash its boot.img?

berrmich

Oct 17, 2009
that could be another reason :) full wipe, restore, flash boot.img and reboot :good:

Ok.. did the wipe including cache, dalvik cache, factory reset and system. Now I can no longer get into my SD card. It will not mount. :( :( So I can't see anything under restore.

arhggg!! Now what?

Also I have to wait 5 minutes between each post. Annoying.

-Mike

---------- Post added at 02:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

I was able to format sd in windows. transfer the files. It restored the backup. installed the boot.img. still reboots.

Now I'm trying android rev HD stock rom. I clicked install. It says writing data and system but the bar is not moving and it's been a long time. :(

---------- Post added at 02:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 AM ----------

Ok. So I tried that twice and it didn't work. Just will not install the zip. Locks up at 0%. I reinstalled viper xl and it's boot.img. It's booting up fine. I really wanted to get a stock rom since I need to return to best buy since my screen broke. Maybe they won't care?

Any suggestions?

-Mike

knightameer

Apr 6, 2013
Karachi
The nandroid i saved before rooting was of the firmware 3.14.707.24.. the recovery to download for that will be the 3rd one in the op right?

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

matt95

Aug 8, 2010
Milan
Ok.. did the wipe including cache, dalvik cache, factory reset and system. Now I can no longer get into my SD card. It will not mount. :( :( So I can't see anything under restore.

arhggg!! Now what?

Also I have to wait 5 minutes between each post. Annoying.

-Mike

---------- Post added at 02:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

I was able to format sd in windows. transfer the files. It restored the backup. installed the boot.img. still reboots.

Now I'm trying android rev HD stock rom. I clicked install. It says writing data and system but the bar is not moving and it's been a long time. :(

---------- Post added at 02:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 AM ----------

Ok. So I tried that twice and it didn't work. Just will not install the zip. Locks up at 0%. I reinstalled viper xl and it's boot.img. It's booting up fine. I really wanted to get a stock rom since I need to return to best buy since my screen broke. Maybe they won't care?

Any suggestions?

-Mike

are you sure that your device is an HTC One X and not XL or something similar? install a new recovery and see if that helps

berrmich

Oct 17, 2009
Well I finally ended up putting viper back on it and it worked fine. Not sure why the stock rom didn't work. I just gave it to best buy as is.. they didn't seem to care at all. I got my new phone. This time I need to make sure I make an appropriate backup!

-Mike

myself11

Oct 11, 2009
I'm trying to go back to full stock (relocked and stuff). I've flashed my nandroid backup,

CID: 304
ROM: 3.18.401.1
HBOOT: 1.39.0000

and I've flashed the recovery from the nandroid backup. This is not enough right? I need to flash a stock recovery, but on OP I don't find one to 3.18 ROMS (only until 3.14). A 3.14 will do it or where can i find a 3.18 Recovery?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is intended to help you to return your One X device back to stock in order to either return the device for a warranty claim, or to be in a position to receive an official OTA (Over The Air) update. There may be other guides, but the intention of this guide is to be as simple to perform as is possible given the challenges facing us without having s-off for the One X.

There are 2 methods that can be used to restore back to stock from a custom rom:
    1. Using a nandroid backup (if you took one when you first unlocked your bootloader)
    2. Flashing a stock ruu

BEFORE STARTING

1. Charge your device. It is advisable to have at least 60 - 70% battery charge on your device before attempting this process

2. Install HTC Sync software and drivers on your pc.

3. You also need to have the fastboot folder and files installed on your pc.
    • Refer here for guidance on using adb and fastboot commands

OPTION 1 - Restoring stock rom from nandroid backup
    If you followed the advice when first unlocking your bootloader, you should have a nandroid backup of your original rom ;). It is easier to restore your backup than going through the process of flashing from an ruu
    NB! If you don't have a nandroid backup have a look HERE to see if one has been uploaded that you can use, or you can ask another user to possibly upload one for you.

1. Copy the boot.img file from your backup (/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup) to the fastboot folder on your pc and flash this via fastboot: (If you use a nandroid backup from another user from the link above, then extract the backup.zip and copy the main folder (should have the date of the backup in the foder name) to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/.
    If the backup is made using TWRP then you will need TWRP Recovery to restore it. Copy the main folder to /sdcard/TWRP/Backups/Your phones Serial Number/. The boot file for a backup made using TWRP will be named boot.emmc.win, but you can flash it the same way as flashing the boot.img file.)
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img (or fastboot flash boot boot.emmc.win if using TWRP backup)
    fastboot erase cache
    2. Boot into Recovery and restore the backup
    3. Boot back to bootloader and flash the appropriate recovery file to match your stock rom which you are restoring (See links below)
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery [I]nameofrecoveryfile[/I].img
    fastboot erase cache
    Links to stock recovery versions can be found below:

OPTION 2 - Restoring stock rom by flashing stock ruu
    Get the RUU file required for your device:
    Make sure that USB debugging is enabled (Settings/Developer options). In order to determine which ruu file you require, boot your device into bootloader mode (Power off and then restart device by holding Power and Volume Down button together). Connect to pc via USB and check that device shows FASTBOOT USB on screen. Enter the following command in command prompt:
    Code:
    fastboot getvar version-main
    If for example this command returns the value 1.29.401.x then you need to use that file or you can use a higher numbered file from the same region eg 2.17.401.x. NOTE: You can't use a lower numbered file eg 1.26.401.x and you also can't use a file from a different region eg 2.17.707.x.
    You can find many of the ruu files here:

PROCESS :

1. Boot your phone to fastboot mode by holding power+vol down button for 10 secs..(if your phone keeps restarting in normal phone mode, go to Setting>Power and untick Fast boot)

2. Plug your phone into your PC and open a Command Prompt.
    • (windows XP - Click Start > Run > type CMD in box then press OK
    • (Windows 7 - Click Start > type CMD in search box then press Enter)

3. cd to the location of your fastboot files folder

4. Relock bootloader - type command:
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock
    The phone will then restart into fastboot again showing "RELOCKED"

6. On your pc run the RUU that you downloaded earlier, follow the steps as prompted and patiently wait for it to finish.
    REMEMBER your phone should be charged ABOVE 50% AND if the ruu or restore is INTERRUPTED 4 any reason during restore your
    phone MAY be PERMANENTLY BRICKED..​

all the best..:fingers-crossed:

edited the title..
    this is noob friendly and that is not..
    this has links to everything one needs(e.g. stock recovery)
    c'mon!!! cooking a rom out of ruu..

"
    Install stock rom of your CID
    -fastboot oem readcid (to know your CID)
    -all roms are based on x.xx.401.xx , so you need to download the right RUU(that matches your CID) and extract rom.zip to cook a stock rom for you
    -flash custom stock rom(extracted and cooked from right RUU) on custom recovery
    -fastboot flash boot c:\boot.img (flash stock kernel that's inside custom stock rom boot.img file)

RElock the bootloader (you can allways unlock)
    -fastboot oem lock

Right RUU file for your CID
    -put your phone on fastboot (it will not boot because you have a custom rom on a locked bootloader)
    -now you can run the RUU exe file and upgrade your phone

does this look noob friendly to you??
    anyways I respect u very much eddy but if this will prove helpful than ppl will be helped and if its not helpful then this thread will die..so the decision is people's..
    anyways I was just being helpful where's the problem in that?
    How is this different from this thread?...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1660807
    Yes you can. Phone in the bootloader, recovery.img in the fastboot folder

Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

This has nothing to do with root or even a running OS ! Root only applies to the working Rom

Thanks for helping Mr hofs ;) am afraid I will be diapering soon as my Hox and nexus7 are nearly Dead. Topcat888 great ROM for your hox is Team Venom viper x I've tried tripdroid and Cm10 but TeamVenom rules :D

Still see myself as noob but i try and help. Don't say thanks hit the THANKS BUTTON :p
    Any other mirror for the RUU´s ? Don#t want to buy a Premium acc only for this ...

uploadfromtaptalk1346308488413.jpg
    ;)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2