[Q] How to recover/open a temp_video?

Search This thread

mihaixp

Apr 12, 2012
Yesterday, I was attending the UEFA Europa League Final and I was filming the starting ceremony.
I didn't know that I had a merely 1.6 GB left on my SD card. When the memory was full, the camera app did the unthinkable (FC). I entered a file manager and saw that the video is there under the name temp_video but without any extension.

Can you please tell me how can I recover it?

Feb 9, 2010
İstanbul
I have the same problem

I have a very important video (birth of my son) in this situation aswell. so if anybody success on this issue please let us know.

mihaixp

Apr 12, 2012
I haven't managed to open or recover them somehow. I guess there are no viable solutions for this issue.

Sorry. :(

PS: Still, keep the files. Who knows, maybe we will find out someday.

cabadrin

Sep 23, 2012
Various free video conversion software should do the trick. I've had success using the conversion feature of VideoLAN's VLC media player to 'convert' to .mp4; the video is full size, with sound, and at the original quality. The VLC media player could even play the temp_video file as-is, without any conversion...the conversion was only necessary to play with other players/to burn to DVD.

Hope this helps.

ttforum

Jun 17, 2010
Found a utility that does the trick

I had the same problem. Some people claimed vlc would work, but it didn't. So I tried out this tool: http://grauonline.de/cmsimple2_6/en/?Solutions:HD_Video_Repair_Utility

It worked when I gave it a reference video (video shot from the same phone), but it only saves half the video unless you buy the license. After watching the video, I determined that I don't need the second half for the price they ask (29 euros), but at least I got half. If the author would only charge say $5 per video I'd probably buy it. In lieu of that, I simply joined the file together to create one file twice as long and re-ran it. In windows "copy /b file + file combined_file". This worked as a stop-gap, but the sound got really off at the midpoint. So, if you really want it to work right, I'd suggest paying for the license.

Credit to this person for pointing me to the tool.

http://janit.iki.fi/repair-corrupted-mp4-video/

prashish

Oct 3, 2014
I have a very important video (birth of my son) in this situation aswell. so if anybody success on this issue please let us know.

You can try to repair it with the vid repair tool on android playstore it did the trick for me. I recovered full video. It was there with the name temp_video now i can play it well. Hope this works. :angel:

anish0995

May 1, 2016
Hey i just found a quick solution to that problem which worked on me ! first you need media player classic ... open it and just drag your temp_video and it should be working fine

Kangarooo

Nov 29, 2011
I had the same problem. Some people claimed vlc would work, but it didn't. So I tried out this tool: http://grauonline.de/cmsimple2_6/en/?Solutions:HD_Video_Repair_Utility

It worked when I gave it a reference video (video shot from the same phone), but it only saves half the video unless you buy the license. After watching the video, I determined that I don't need the second half for the price they ask (29 euros), but at least I got half. If the author would only charge say $5 per video I'd probably buy it. In lieu of that, I simply joined the file together to create one file twice as long and re-ran it. In windows "copy /b file + file combined_file". This worked as a stop-gap, but the sound got really off at the midpoint. So, if you really want it to work right, I'd suggest paying for the license.

Credit to this person for pointing me to the tool.

http://janit.iki.fi/repair-corrupted-mp4-video/

DId you bought programm and got better result with or without added longer file? Cause for me full version got and maybe thats all there is to get- all ok but video or sound is going at different speed. So just readjust that in video edit programm. Also in options can select to divide files in seperate audio and video files and then combine changing speed only for video in video editing sofware.

Last edited:

HISWTS

Oct 18, 2017
Recovering the temp_video file

Dear all,
i know it is odd to response to a "long time ago" post, but i wish that this may help people who are facing similar problem.
I have just tried the app from the Google Play, MP4fix.
It requires the corrupted file, temp_video and a well-recorded file, i am not sure is it better to be a similar length for the well-recorded?
After processing, you can freely play the recovered file or paid to save the file.
Which means you can use another phone to Rexxxx while the phone is pXXXing the video.
However, it is better to pay for the developers who make this app.

tryzub

Apr 27, 2011
VLC Works as of This Writing

I had this problem. Went looking for a solution and found this article mentioning VLC. On a Galaxy Tab A (purchased new in late 2017), VLC was indeed able to play it as-is. Renaming the file with the mp4 extension (no conversion) meant that even the Samsung Video Player could play it. Maybe Samsung improved the readability of the temp files.

Johnisdabom

Mar 31, 2019
I got the fix

I know this is 7 years later, but I just got this problem and got an actual fix for it. Go to your file manager and click on DCIM then on Camera then scroll all the way to the bottom and press and hold on your temp video and press share. Share it to your google drive and then once its on your Google drive, you can download it if you want to back on your device. Worked on my s7, hope it works for yall :)