FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Can I control Chromecast with my phone without a wifi router?

6 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By choosetoride, Junior Member on 1st August 2013, 07:13 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th August 2013, 12:20 PM |#11  
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 207

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_V

I think that you can tether it to your phone. You select which wi-fi network the Chromecast joins using the Chromecast app, so no reason that you couldn't enter your phone's wi-fi network.

I tried doing this on my Galaxy Note II (Sprint) using WiFi tether. I was able to get it an IP and connect to the network, but it wasn't pushing the DNS info (ie wasn't getting an internet connection). Unfortunately, WiFi tether can be limited in the it's settings and CC has only a few.

Unfortunately, from what I've seen, you are unable to store multiple networks on the CC. I don't believe it was designed for that much portability. I happen to have a laptop with me and was able to do the setup. Since I wasn't able to get an internet connect, I wasn't able to test if I could cast from the GN2. My expectation is most likely not. But I had a tablet with me too, and would have tested it with that.

As for how it would preform, I assume for Netflix and application with CC extension built in, no problem. Trying to cast a Chrome tab, that could be iffy since it would depend on well WiFi tether can handle the that much traffic and the PC.

I haven't fiddled with it since then. But it's definitely possible with some tweaks.

12th August 2013, 08:27 PM |#12  
Flag Detroit
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelcack

let me know if you get a reply because i want to do the same thing but apparently this is the reason why it doesn't work

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ion-issue.html

seems like if you can disable ap isolation then it would fix it but i'm not sure how you'd do that

I don't think there is a way to disable AP isolation. I'm no network wiz or anything but I rally think it would be an easy update on their side to grant access to using our phones hot spot.

I also noticed that the Chromecast itself generates its own hotspot...I'm assuming to let other devices connect to it and cast to it.

I'm not mad that it doesn't work ($35 isn't a wallet breaker) but I am mad that I jumped the gun and used my 3 months free promo for Netflix =(
12th August 2013, 11:07 PM |#13  
Flag Detroit

More
Well, here it is guys
Quote:

Hello Troy,

Thank you for contacting Google Play! It was a pleasure getting to speak with you today. Unfortunately you will need an ISP to hook up your chromecast it will not work off of a hotspot connection.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reply directly to this email. Also, you can visit our help center at:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/

Regards,

Tracy

The Google Play Support Team!

On 08/10/13 00:10:27 ********** wrote:

first_name_req: Troy
last_name_req: Wisniewski
email_req: **********
Chromekey_serial:

description_req: I don't have an ISP at my residence, I use my Galaxy Nexus
hotspot for everything which always works out well. I was hoping that the
Chromecast would work connected to my hotpot but it seems to have issues.
People have stated that it won't work because your phone has to be
connected to wifi as well but my rebuttal to this is that
Microsoft's "SmartGlass" app is used to control my Xbox, through wifi. I
use my hotspot to give internet access to my Xbox and my phone can control
it even though it is technically not on a wifi network, instead it is
providing the wifi. To me it seems this is the same concept and should work
with a bit of back end support on your end. I would appreciate an email
back stating whether this is going to be possible or not. If it isn't
possible I understand. For $35 ($15 with the Netflix promo) it's not
exactly killing me. The reason I don't have an ISP is because I would
rather not be raped (for lack of better words)

P.S. Google Fiber Metro Detroit please
static_subject_line: Chromecast technical question

I guess the the next step is for everyone to quote this and spread the word throughout the other posts here at XDA and any other forums related to this topic.
13th August 2013, 02:40 AM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTreezy

I guess the the next step is for everyone to quote this and spread the word throughout the other posts here at XDA and any other forums related to this topic.

bull****. they're just too lazy to do it. there has to be some hotspot app that has this feature or some kind of workaround that will be figured out eventually...this was the whole reason i bought the device, this would be the ultimate portable media center. i bet that kouch guy could do it...
13th August 2013, 03:16 AM |#15  
Flag Detroit

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelcack

bull****. they're just too lazy to do it. there has to be some hotspot app that has this feature or some kind of workaround that will be figured out eventually...this was the whole reason i bought the device, this would be the ultimate portable media center. i bet that kouch guy could do it...

Listen.. I'm with you man. I meant spread the official word of google so we can move on to focusing on developers trying to help us out

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
13th August 2013, 03:19 AM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTreezy

Listen.. I'm with you man. I meant spread the official word of google so we can move on to focusing on developers trying to help us out

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

lol i know man i wasn't saying bull**** to you just in general. i already linked to this to the other post on androidcentral....hopefully this helps spread the word.
8th September 2013, 06:39 AM |#17  
Flag Nomad
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Kinda late to the party here, but just FYI I have my CC tethered to my Sprint SGS4 using the native hotspot app. Did the set up using my N10, using the chromecast app.
5th February 2014, 07:31 AM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Bump - Any new developments?
So, Ive been scouring the internet looking for some sort of simple, portable, wireless method to stream content from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to a TV... with the most obvious thought of HDMI adapters and dongles. Obviously one of the leading search results and hype is "Chromecast" which led me here. I was hoping I could confirm the following and see if any progress has been made:

1. Can the Chromecast be used to stream content on a mobile device? Or is it still based strictly on app based media?

2. I doubt much progress has been made in this area, so I really doubt "screencasting" from a mobile device (tablet/phone) is possible, especially without internet connection.

3. Can Chromecast be supported by a portable wifi hotspot yet? or is it still strictly dependent on a ISP to router WiFi connection?

4. If Chromecast doesn't do it, then has any one found any devices that allows you to stream your tablet/phone to a tv wirelessly the same way that you can do if you have the MHL to HDMI cables?
5th February 2014, 02:53 PM |#19  
Warren, MI
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by varxtis

So, Ive been scouring the internet looking for some sort of simple, portable, wireless method to stream content from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to a TV... with the most obvious thought of HDMI adapters and dongles. Obviously one of the leading search results and hype is "Chromecast" which led me here. I was hoping I could confirm the following and see if any progress has been made:

1. Can the Chromecast be used to stream content on a mobile device? Or is it still based strictly on app based media?

2. I doubt much progress has been made in this area, so I really doubt "screencasting" from a mobile device (tablet/phone) is possible, especially without internet connection.

3. Can Chromecast be supported by a portable wifi hotspot yet? or is it still strictly dependent on a ISP to router WiFi connection?

4. If Chromecast doesn't do it, then has any one found any devices that allows you to stream your tablet/phone to a tv wirelessly the same way that you can do if you have the MHL to HDMI cables?

Read the Stickies first.
5th February 2014, 03:30 PM |#20  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,024

Donate to Me
More
3. As long as your hotspot does not isolates clients or the AP itself, does not block or mangle multicast, and has sufficient bitrate to get the Internet-based media you want, it should work.

4. Wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver, but those cost in the $150+ range for good reason - latency is the biggest enemy. That's why applying the same mechanism that desktop Chrome tab casting won't work. It'll overload the CPU of the phone/tablet with compression and it will still have lag.
5th February 2014, 05:06 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski

Read the Stickies first.

Sry, Thanks. Answered all my questions.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)