Can I control Chromecast with my phone without a wifi router?

Search This thread

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I think the salient point from the above answers is that Chromecast seems to need an Internet connection for some things (like youtube).

Yes but truth is it needs Internet access for everything including the Cast a Tab feature since the apps the CCast loads are stored on the Internet...

Tethering to a phone or Tab will work but AdHoc connection will not.

hero13th

Nov 30, 2010
push2tv3000

Netgear push2tv ...That's all you need my friend. Chromecast is nothing next to this. No need for WiFi. I plug it to my projector. No need ac adapter. Plug to projector usb or TV USB and its on. I stream anything on my phone screen to big screen. Anything!!! I have nexus 4 and perfect. Get netgear push2tv. No limitations.

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Netgear push2tv ...That's all you need my friend. Chromecast is nothing next to this. No need for WiFi. I plug it to my projector. No need ac adapter. Plug to projector usb or TV USB and its on. I stream anything on my phone screen to big screen. Anything!!! I have nexus 4 and perfect. Get netgear push2tv. No limitations.
Except that Push2TV is dependent on your device, since it's providing the content.
It's just a different operational model.
In the original poster's case, Push2TV would work since their content is on their phone and they're essentially looking for a wireless HDMI solution (which would also work).

Contrary to what has been said, you CAN control your chromecast without an external router. Most non-google applications, including screen mirroring apps, will work and transmit to the chromecast through the WiFi access point you can enable on most devices (aka tethering).
See my thread in http://xdaforums.com/hardware-hacking/chromecast/how-to-directly-cast-android-device-t2791313

I could cast local media, YouTube and mirror my screen on TV using 3rd party apps. Google seems to dislike that because their branded apps don't show the chromecast when connected through tethered WiFi.

I think that being free from the need of an external router is great and allows the chromecast to be used anywhere and nomadically, instead of limiting it to a domestic appliance.

Let me know, please, if you can replicate my method, because at present no one seemed to bother to try and report :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

cruckus

Sep 12, 2010
Contrary to what has been said, you CAN control your chromecast without an external router. Most non-google applications, including screen mirroring apps, will work and transmit to the chromecast through the WiFi access point you can enable on most devices (aka tethering).
See my thread in http://xdaforums.com/hardware-hacking/chromecast/how-to-directly-cast-android-device-t2791313

I could cast local media, YouTube and mirror my screen on TV using 3rd party apps. Google seems to dislike that because their branded apps don't show the chromecast when connected through tethered WiFi.

I think that being free from the need of an external router is great and allows the chromecast to be used anywhere and nomadically, instead of limiting it to a domestic appliance.

Let me know, please, if you can replicate my method, because at present no one seemed to bother to try and report :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/26/ho...-phones-without-using-wifi-ultrasonic-sounds/ this may be what your looking for

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Not sure anyone noticed but at Google I/O they announced a new Proximity Casting feature that will allow friends to stream over their Cell Service to your CCast without needing to be connected to your WiFi.
Details were not clear (or at least I didn't read any) but it seems to work on a Location based PIN security system. CCast displays a pin that you punch in to make the connection.

The CCast of course would still have to be connected to a router for it's Internet connection but you would not need to be connected to that router to communicate with the CCast.

What I'm not sure of is if this connection method will be available for Apps to use or if it is just for casting local device content onto the CCast in the same way Mirroring works.

All of this requires the next GServices update and most likely Android 4.3+

Phyzcal

Oct 20, 2013
Clearwater, FL
The way I do it.

I use my Sprint network hotspot for everything like the OP. I own a Galaxy Note 3, HTC Evo 3D, and a SII. Only the Note 3 has internet but it can still use the hotspot created by one of the other phones if I just want to cast local content from my note 3. If I want to cast netflix or youtube I make the note 3 the hotspot and access the chromecast through one of the other phones. The note 3 has far more than enough processing power to handle anything I've thrown at it and Sprints unlimited 4G is fast enough to stream anything in HD without buffer or stuttering (4 down, 1.5 up, 80 ping). Hell, I even use my hotspot for online PC gaming and download from steam at 1.5mb/s, 70-80 ping is pretty damn good.

edit: All phones are rooted, rom'd and S-Off(htc).

Last edited:

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/25/ch...d-mirroring-feature-photo-backdrops-and-more/

So, pretty much, looks like problem solved with the latest update to chromecast.
I'm not sure about that... Still requires Internet connection and a WiFi network to connect to. If the "not on your WiFi" feature does a WiFi Direct connect that isn't remembered, then maybe, but it might just exchange the existing WiFi authentication. We'll have to wait and see.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I'm not sure about that... Still requires Internet connection and a WiFi network to connect to. If the "not on your WiFi" feature does a WiFi Direct connect that isn't remembered, then maybe, but it might just exchange the existing WiFi authentication. We'll have to wait and see.

Nope it's not a WiFi direct connection from what I read...
I believe it uses a PIN system to determine you are in proximity but the streaming actually happens over Cell Data.
And it may be a Mirror only thing not really a Stream from App application.
We will have to wait and see how it all works.
They said Future I'm not sure that means it is coming anytime soon.

lmgjerstad

Jul 18, 2014
Can I control Chromecast with my phone without a wifi router? I would like to be able to use just a tv, chromecast, and my phone to stream from my phone. Does anyone know if this is possible or if it will be? I tried downloading a rented movie from Google movie and turn the router off at my house. I tried to stream, but it failed for two reasons. Google movies won't let you stream downloaded movies and Chromecast won't work without my router on. Did I do something wrong here or am I missing something? I would prefer to be able to rely on my phone's data and downloaded files. Doesn't anyone think this would be possible with Chromecast? I guess I'm ultimately looking for portability without the internet.

I was able to get this working as follows:

Configure your phone as a wifi hotspot.
Using a second device (another phone, tablet, or chrome browser), configure the chromecast to use the original phone as a wifi network.
Disconnect the second device from the phone (unless you intend to tether it as well).
Now you can control the chromecast from the phone that is acting as a hotspot.

Depending on your tethering plan, you probably want to cast the screen rather than casting an app. This introduces some latency, and requires the phone stay on, but it also means your carrier will see the traffic as coming from your phone rather than from a tethered device.

This method worked on a Nexus 5 running stock android 4.4.4, but it did not work on a Moto X running android 4.4.2 so it's likely a recent development.

brizey

Aug 6, 2011
Just buy a cheapo travel wifi router. Wifi N in your pocket for $25. For $50-$60 you can get a battery powered one. You want one anyway :highfive:

lankyboy29

Dec 21, 2012
baton rouge
I was able to get this working as follows:

Configure your phone as a wifi hotspot.
Using a second device (another phone, tablet, or chrome browser), configure the chromecast to use the original phone as a wifi network.
Disconnect the second device from the phone (unless you intend to tether it as well).
Now you can control the chromecast from the phone that is acting as a hotspot.

Depending on your tethering plan, you probably want to cast the screen rather than casting an app. This introduces some latency, and requires the phone stay on, but it also means your carrier will see the traffic as coming from your phone rather than from a tethered device.

This method worked on a Nexus 5 running stock android 4.4.4, but it did not work on a Moto X running android 4.4.2 so it's likely a recent development.

Can you please elaborate on how to do this???

mar11974

Dec 23, 2006
I managed to make this work using only my Chromecast and Galaxy S4.
1. Reset Chromecast
2. Setup HotSpot on phone (SSID and Password)
3. Enable WiFi on phone and launch Chromecast App
4. Go through setup of Chromecast using HotSpot Settings as Network
5. Once the Chromecast begins attempting to connect to HotSpot, enable HotSpot on Phone, Phone should report 1 device connected
6. Go to menu on Chromecast App and select Cast Screen, your Chromecast should show up (app will complain no wifi, just cancel to get to the Cast Screen option)
7. Once your phones screen is showing on TV you can use the Chromecast enabled apps or just Cast Screen.

Note: The settings are not saved in the Chromecast and steps 3 - 6 will have to be repeated each time (the Chromecast setup is not being finallized using a traditional network).

lankyboy29

Dec 21, 2012
baton rouge
Ok but for step 5 I can't run WiFi ap while WiFi is running or vice versa. When I try to turn on my ap the chromecast app sences it and stops saying "WiFi has been disconnected". R u able to run WiFi and tether at the same time?

Sent from my LG-VS980 using XDA Free mobile app

mar11974

Dec 23, 2006
Hotspot will disable WiFi, that is why I said the Chromecast app will popup no WiFi, just press Cancel and go to the menu and select Cast Screen.

---------- Post added at 06:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 AM ----------

Apparently once the Chromecast connects to the Hotspot you can just launch a Chromecast enabled app and use it through the Chromecast. The Chromecast App complains about "No WiFi", but YouTube and Cast Screen doesn't care.

lankyboy29

Dec 21, 2012
baton rouge
Well idk what's wrong because I can cast YouTube from phone but no cast button from menu. Chromecast app 1.7.4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. Reset Chromecast
    5. Once the Chromecast begins attempting to connect to HotSpot, enable HotSpot on Phone, Phone should report 1 device connected
    6. Go to menu on Chromecast App and select Cast Screen, your Chromecast should show up (app will complain no wifi, just cancel to get to the Cast Screen option)
    7. Once your phones screen is showing on TV you can use the Chromecast enabled apps or just Cast Screen.

Note: The settings are not saved in the Chromecast and steps 3 - 6 will have to be repeated each time (the Chromecast setup is not being finallized using a traditional network).
    Can I control Chromcast with my phone without a wifi router? I would like to be able to use just a tv, chromecast, and my phone to stream from my phone. Does anyone know if this is possible or if it will be? I tried downloading a rented movie from Google movie and turn the router off at my house. I tried to stream, but it failed for two reasons. Google movies won't let you stream downloaded movies and Chromecast won't work without my router on. Did I do something wrong here or am I missing something? I would prefer to be able to rely on my phone's data and downloaded files. Doesn't anyone think this would be possible with Chromecast? I guess I'm ultimately looking for portability without the internet.

I'm pretty sure your phone/tablet/laptop need to be on the same subnet as the device so it can be found to cast to, hence the need to have everything on the same wifi router.
    I think the salient point from the above answers is that Chromecast seems to need an Internet connection for some things (like youtube). For Web pages the Windows chrome browser sends the content to Chromecast but other times (YouTube) it's pulling content itself from the Internet.

Once Koush's app is out hopefully you'll be able to stream more content right to your phone, so a peer to peer network might work better

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium
    1. Reset Chromecast

Big thanks for these instructions. Works nicely.
    This is exactly what I have tried to achieve to cast phone's screen to hotel's tv while travelling without depending on second android device or hotel wifi.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

Well idk what's wrong because I can cast YouTube from phone but no cast button from menu. Chromecast app 1.7.4

Like mar11974 already mentioned Chromecast supports screen casting only in small set of devices at a moment. If you have rooted your phone you can try instructions in http://xdaforums.com/hardware-hacking/chromecast/experimental-enable-mirroring-device-t2812193. They enable screencast option of Chromecast in any device. It then depends on device and rom how well screen cast works if it works at all.
    Big thanks for these instructions. Works nicely.
    This is exactly what I have tried to achieve to cast phone's screen to hotel's tv while travelling without depending on second android device or hotel wifi.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

Like mar11974 already mentioned Chromecast supports screen casting only in small set of devices at a moment. If you have rooted your phone you can try instructions in http://xdaforums.com/hardware-hacking/chromecast/experimental-enable-mirroring-device-t2812193. They enable screencast option of Chromecast in any device. It then depends on device and rom how well screen cast works if it works at all.

Works^